Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As discussed in this space and in the forums yesterday, in order to really be able to test this new format it was time to just take the plunge at put it up live. Feel free to offer feedback about the design in general, ways you feel it could be tweaked, and as important as anything, please let me know if there are any problems, as there are surely some browser/OS combos that it has not been tested on. Depending on how all this goes, I may or may not be switching back and forth between the old and new formats as we work through all this.

Link of the Day: Vlad the Impaler Action Figure. Thanks Cody Russell.
Stories of the Day: Girl expelled for writing story about killing teacher.
Handbag maker Vuitton sues Google.
Personal submarine for the super-rich.
Science!: Cloud of solar gas strikes our planet (that's Earth, for the record).
Mystery Spot on Jupiter Baffles Astronomers.
Utopia theory.
Image of the Day: Hoom! Maps and Walking Directions. Thanks Charles.
I found Nemo! Thanks Ant.
Media of the Day: Vigorsol - Nipples. Thanks Warpig.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
188 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

188. Re: RETRO!!!! Oct 31, 2003, 19:11 Hump

I never even bothered to notice there was a choice until someone pointed it out in a recent thread...lol.

I'm so used to the flat view that I can't get used to any other way. Plus the threaded view under Chatbear 1.0 kind of....well, sucks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

187. Original Sin? Oct 31, 2003, 18:45 Jay K.

Blue as being the FIRST site in my book, I always wish you well. However, please leave SOME resemblance of your touches with personality. The listing next to the title for instance of who gathered the important info that was important enuff to make the page matters. The header with your picture has now gone generically, 'Walmart' as in Who Really owns this site? If it wasn't for your posts in the OOTB I'd really wonder who's running this show. Please put more of your personality back into the page. This probably sounds as if I am preaching to the quior(sp?) however, please put more of your personality e.g. the Icons at the top. Remember the Blue/Unreal Icon?? That was the Best! The artist Walter Konstiniak? or something? His work is what also shaped this site. Bring back your personality please.

The Silent Majority will not settle for less.

PS. Stuff the UGO in the bottom rite most corner =P

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 18:57.

186. Re: Alternative (Sion441) Oct 27, 2003, 05:50 Zephalephelah

"173. Alternative Why don't you guys just use GameTab ( http://www.gametab.com/ )? I didn't even notice the revamp.

Get all of Blues' news without the fuss. Plus all the other sites. If the headline sounds interesting to you, then click over. You don't have to deal with the front page."

I <3 you man!

You just made my whole rant worth my time.

Now, I can read what is important without dealing with 19 tons of bullshit.

185. Re: RETRO!!!! Oct 26, 2003, 13:48 Ray Marden

Hey, we all stay on topic by being off topic!

However, looking at the "threads," you can see how it branches out.

Once or twice when I have obliterated my cookiees and experienced the "flat" view, I had no idea how anybody could make sense. Any two consecutive posts could literally be from the very start and very end of a given thread. It just seemed incredibly random, at least with trying to keep up with the ongoing conversation.

I think this even more when I have had to, gasp, actually work at work and not keep up with every post. The five newest messages could be from anywhere in the thread and be the start, middle, or end of a given conversation.

Wondering whom ever started talking about making sense %),
Ray

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10-03-03 at 10:24 PM: My mother, Deborah Lynn Marden, passed away.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

184. Re: I think I'm learning a lesson... Oct 26, 2003, 13:03 TheGreatOz

<i> And you will be just the rest of the herd, a follower, doing nothing, letting those in control of change to do nothing about it because you've done nothing about it.</i>

Or, it could be that those things really aren't a big deal, and you're just a little oversensitive.

183. Re: I think I'm learning a lesson... Oct 26, 2003, 13:02 TheGreatOz

You are an angry, angry little man. Settle down! Sit! Stay!

182. Re: Logo doesn't appear... Oct 26, 2003, 12:56  Blue 

Bluesnews logo doesn't appear in Mozilla Firebird 0.7 if the option to disable images from 3rd party sites is enabled

That'll be fixed -- this design is drawing a couple of images from elsewhere for the moment, but they will all end up local.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

181. Re: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly Oct 26, 2003, 12:53 TheGreatOz

<i>When Blue started this AD shit up, I was willing to put up with it. You know, he did work on it for free for a long, long time. But then he got greedy & it didn't take long for that too happen either?

Blue sold out.</i>

Hey, Kid. No one sold out. Running a popular website isn't cheap, ok? Blue isn't making bank off of this place, so bite your tounge and do us all a favor.

180. Logo doesn't appear... Oct 26, 2003, 12:38 Dengar

The Bluesnews logo doesn't appear in Mozilla Firebird 0.7 if the option to disable images from 3rd party sites is enabled.

imo try and get the ads inline with the site because they currently make the flow disjointed, and stick the ugo logo on the far right

otherwise it looks ok

There's no answers when the questions aren't ever asked. - NOFX

179. Re: RETRO!!!! Oct 26, 2003, 12:26 WarPig

but at least everything branches out in its own respective order.

Yeah, because as we all know, everyone always replies to the subject header above... hey wait, what the hell does this have to do with RETRO? Wow, that's a first.

The only way these forums make any sense to me is by reading them in chronological order.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

178. Please Oct 26, 2003, 12:24 ProdigyXL

Please create a pay service Blue. Please, for all of us that were here at the beginning. We will pay you to make up for all the years of using your bandwidth. I cannot take the amount of ads on your wonder site. Yes they are distracting, and yes I understand that is their purpose.

The upper banner looks rather trash, good ideas, just poor execution. This is BluesNews, not UGO featuring BlueNews. This is your site, make it prominent in the logo.

As people have mentioned before, this is the only real site of value that many people would be willing to shell out 20-30 bucks a year for. Please, do it for the kids Blue.

The kids...

177. New Site Design Oct 26, 2003, 12:22 Tangles

Hmm... UGO logo is seemingly larger than the Blues News logo. Not good

176. Re: RETRO!!!! Oct 26, 2003, 12:07 Ray Marden

And (heaven forbid) I read the forums flat. No threads for me!

Where, Matthew?

WHERE?

Where does this madness stop???

I think "thread" viewing is confusing enough as it is, but at least everything branches out in its own respective order. Flat viewing, though? That's just keerrraazzzy, man!

Wondering where I failed with you :D,
Ray

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10-03-03 at 10:24 PM: My mother, Deborah Lynn Marden, passed away.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

175. Re: RETRO!!!! Oct 26, 2003, 11:29 Bronco

The format of the forums and other pages won't change before then... will those thread listings suffice for now?

Of course. I just wanted to be certain they were not going to disapear altogether.

I don't use the news forum page. And (heaven forbid) I read the forums flat. No threads for me!

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!

-TPFKAS2S

174. Redesign Oct 26, 2003, 10:47 c r i s p y

I thought I should chime in with my thoughts on the new look:

I actually don't mind it at all, even without the retro-colours.

One thing I do miss is the 'popular threads' breakdown; sometimes if I see a thread that's getting a lot of traffic, I like to go in to see what all the fuss is about.

The only other suggestion I would have is to reverse the colours that are used for links/launched links. It seems odd to me to have the live links in the 'faded' yellow, and the previously viewed links in the brighter yellow.

Oh, and the main story text is just a smidgeon too wide for my 800x600 screen. (I do most of my browsing from my laptop, on the couch)

---
Chris.

173. Alternative Oct 26, 2003, 10:38 Sion441

Why don't you guys just use GameTab ( http://www.gametab.com/ )? I didn't even notice the revamp.

Get all of Blues' news without the fuss. Plus all the other sites. If the headline sounds interesting to you, then click over. You don't have to deal with the front page.

172. Re: I think I'm learning a lesson... Oct 26, 2003, 10:31 c r i s p y

Zephalephelah: Coming soon to a clocktower near you!

Heh. You know, I can't help but to relate with some of the stuff the guy is anrgy about, but his anger toward Blue is (in my opinion) totally displaced. We've been through the ad debate already, over and over. We've been given valid reasons as to why things have to be the way they are. And we've been told that a compromise (i.e. a ad-free subcription option) is in the works. So in my mind at least, the debate is over and the feedback system was effective.

Zeph: Take your own advise man, if your pissed because you had to wait in line at the supermarket, complain to the store management; don't come here and vent your anger where it's not warranted.

---
Chris.

171. Re: New Layout. Oct 26, 2003, 09:24 Morgan19

My initial comment so far is that that's a hell of a lot of wasted real estate in your top space now. Apart from your logo, it's almost 3 whole inches of *wasted* vertical space (on my 19" at 1152x864). We have the logo on the left, a whole horizontal spread of those pointless falcon-wing looking blue lines that could be much smaller to save room for other stuff, then another huge blank space under the logo to make room for the ad on the right. Blegh! That's way too much space for nothing.

Surely it can be tightened up somehow?

m19

170. Re: New Layout. Oct 26, 2003, 09:13 ReverendTed

...and PETER H. MOSES!
I just saw the megastitial ad (well the big white "Action cancled" space for it, anyway) there between today and yesterday. That's hella annoying, but I suppose it wouldn't be there if it wasn't necessary.

169. New Layout. Oct 26, 2003, 09:09 ReverendTed

"No sir, I don't like it."
I feel much more comfortable once I've clicked a comments link and get my .plan list back. That was always the first thing I checked. (Seein' as it was at the top, I suppose.)

I also liked having the UGO logo hidden over in the corner where I didn't have to think about it.

Now the new header, while perhaps more "stylish", is a lot less functional - just a lot of dead space.

If you -have- to keep it (and the big UGO logo), my personal preference would be to see the UGO logo in line with the Blue's logo so you can chop the header height down a bit. It looks tacked-on with them out of alignment like they are, as if you had a space and just started randomly stamping logos in it.

Finally, I also much preferred to have the banner ads hidden away before the title logo and content ("outside" the site, as it were), instead of right there in the thick of things. But I suppose that's the point - don't make it possible for the user to ignore them.
(I see ugly white "Action canceled" boxes for the ads anyway thanks to my modified Hosts file that redirects most ad servers to 127.0.0.1.)

188 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo