Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Update Pulled

Another update to The Steam News Page (thanks BarryBart) has word that the new update released earlier today has been recalled:

We have identified a bug in the recent update which was causing Steam users to download much more content than was necessary. This was overloading the network and not allowing people to play games, so we have reverted back to the previous version for now. There will probably be some network congestion due to all this for the next couple of hours or so.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Re: Is the Steam CODE safe??? Oct 23, 2003, 17:51 SH33P

Amen!! Preach it Brother!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Is the Steam CODE safe??? Oct 23, 2003, 13:42 Guano

I wonder if someone had stole the steam code would valve say anything...? What a beautiful back door it would make. I know the security minded Valve who is known for writing such quality code would never let us down and some hax in through the always on, hook living on your systray trying to get in to your wallet....STEAM. I pay for my system resources and hate companies that try to get a hook into them like AOL, Microsoft,RealAudio,Gator, diffrent kinds of adware and now Valve... What can steam offer that cant be provided in the game? Sell your software on a web site and let them downloaded it. Dont try to put your Valve Store on my systray and wrap it with a bunch of smoke and mirrors and tell me its for ME.

The only Innovation Steam offers is another Hook into you, like so many fish being dragged to the fryer.

78. Re: Dynamic Oct 22, 2003, 18:31 Camaro76

np man, always happy to help!

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster smoking a cigar in a bathtub full of gasoline" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

77. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 18:22 alnya

>other slammable phrases include:
>"We need to be more proactive"
>"We're just not communicating our message effectively"
>"That's a fabulous tie, sir"
>and anytime someone uses the words 'scalable,' 'outside
>the box'

I think I just got "House" on Buzzword Bingo...

alnya

76. Re: Why do people defend companies? Oct 22, 2003, 18:19 MrShoop

why do people attack companies?

sometimes companies do bad things, and deserve to be attacked. sometimes they do great things, and they deserver to be defended. On balance, Valve has done more great things, so I would be willing to defend them.

75. Dynamic Oct 22, 2003, 18:16 VoodooV

I knew I forgot a couple, thanks Camaro

74. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 18:09 Camaro76

Steam is motivating participants and capturing their expectations, in a collaborative, forward-thinking venture brought together through the merging of like minds. In order to build a shared view of what can be improved, whenever single-loop learning strategies go wrong, organizations should be capable of double-loop learning. To experience a profound paradigm shift, measure the process, not the people, and build a dynamic relationship between the main players. The components and priorities for the change program maximization of shareholder wealth through separation of ownership from management organizations capable of double-loop learning.

That will indubitably lay the firm foundations for any leading company the new golden rule gives enormous power to those individuals and units, highly motivated participants contributing to a valued-added outcome. The components and priorities for the change program whether the organization's core competences are fully in line, given market realities to ensure that non-operating cash outflows are assessed. An important ingredient of the business process is reengineering building flexibility through spreading knowledge and self-organization, that will indubitably lay the firm foundations for any leading company using Steam.

[Powered by a Macromedia DreamweaverMX Extension]

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster smoking a cigar in a bathtub full of gasoline" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

73. No subject Oct 22, 2003, 12:06 VoodooV

Sorry for the slam, but you DID use a power phrase.

using a power phrase IS a slammable offense.

other slammable phrases include:

"We need to be more proactive"
"We're just not communicating our message effectively"
"That's a fabulous tie, sir"
and anytime someone uses the words 'scalable,' 'outside the box'

basically read through any article in any IT industry mag and you'll know what I mean. Whole lot of people saying a whole lot of nothing.

72. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 12:00 NSi

Paradiggum.

71. Luv Steam!!!!!! Oct 22, 2003, 11:07 nomar

I Love Steam it really rocks and i want more great things from Valve.Ilove it,Steam,steam,steam,steam,steam, and more steam please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70. Re: PROFILES. Oct 22, 2003, 10:59 Tango

There's a discussion of the not-reading letters, only words here:
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/personal/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/

Ininestretg...

More so than "Steam Sucks" anyway. It's the future, guys. Give it time.

69. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 10:55 Bronco

You handled that better than I would have...

I'm not going to lower myself...what is the point of doing that?

So um, GARY...ya slept wih her, didn't ya?

Shhh. The wife is in the room.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

68. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 10:52 nin

Ow that hurt!

You handled that better than I would have...

So um, GARY...ya slept wih her, didn't ya?

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.loopz.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

67. Re: POSJnology Oct 22, 2003, 10:50 Furious

"Look at steam as an attempt at paradigm shifting not just a download manager."

Maybe before these development houses start creating the future or "paradigm shift" they should get their shit they make today working. Yeah I understand bugs will happen and that patching needs to be done from time to time (and it should be minimal) but the level of quality we are getting from PC games sucks hard. I really don't want to hear about whats going on tomorrow in the game market when things today are a buggy mess. The ladder the game development community is climbing is getting less stable one rung at a time, it'd be nice if they would create a stronger, more stable foundation in which to grow. Steam to me is comical and unnessesary and just adds more complexity to an already over-complex industry. You used to be able to, at one time, install a game and play it. Now you have to install, check for a release day patch, make sure every friggin driver for all your PC devices are up to date (or the game may not work on top of bugs) and then close your eyes and Dbl-Click the games Icon on your desktop and hope for the best. And this is just to play a 'game'.

66. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 10:46 Bronco

Only people who have no fucking clue to what they're talking about (typically politicians and marketing execs)use phrases like 'paradigm shifting'

Ow that hurt!

You outed me! I'm really:

Gary Condit. Thanks a lot.

Note to self - never use the phrase 'Paradigm shift' again.

Thank you!

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

65. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 10:41 Ryan

Hmm: http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp

64. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 10:37 Ryan

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."

Rain, I was forwarded an email with more or less the same thing, but have been unable to find the actual paper (it was Cambridge University). Anyone know a link?

The original forward:

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
"

63. Re: Ahh peace man Oct 22, 2003, 10:33 Hooley

Hey Cheese Boy -

If I were talking about my sausage I'd never bring up the words "slim jim" but I guess the truth just had to burst out of you. Now we know why you're such a prick.

And before you get all choked up and teary, just chill back.

Hoolz

62. No subject Oct 22, 2003, 10:31 Rain

Steam is just as bad as the Sierra Utilities that was shipped with Half-Life and other older Sierra games. Too bad we don't get paid beta testing steam, we'd be rich.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

61. No subject Oct 22, 2003, 10:29 VoodooV

Look at steam as an attempt at paradigm shifting not just a download manager.

Only people who have no fucking clue to what they're talking about (typically politicians and marketing execs)use phrases like 'paradigm shifting'

Kinda like that one verizon commercial:

JESSE! STEP OUT OF THE BOX! GOTTA CHANGE THE PARADIGM!! (mispronounced of course)

can you hear me now?

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo