Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We've made two trips to PetSmart to pick up a costume for Hudson the wonder dog for this year's Halloween, as we've been able to find them there for the previous pair of fright nights. The trouble is, the selection there has been non-existent, with just a couple of leftovers from years gone by. This would not annoy me nearly as much if they weren't running ads promoting plans to hold in-store costume competitions for dogs (I believe today). Now I'm stuck trying to cook up a homemade effort. I'm considering a small rider to make her look like a horse (though today's image of the day would be cool, if we could work up a helicopter).

Links of the Day: BuyIntoHeaven.com. Thanks Chris Adkins.
Stories of the Day: N.J. Town Has Fun With Speed Limit Signs. Thanks Dave Claycomb.
Stephenson's comments grossly unchallenged. Thanks Alex.
Scientist Suspects Many Athletes Are Using Undetected Steroids (registration required). So do I.
Science!: Water sparks new power source.
Snails, Desired for Beauty and Venom, May Be Threatened (registration required). Venom?
Coming Soon: Smarter Ways to Stop, Turn and Cruise (registration required).
Image of the Day: Kopasus and their dogs. Thanks Ant
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Halloween Dog Oct 22, 2003, 10:54 Ihya

There is a difference between dressing your dog up once a year for a laugh and to enter the spirit of the occasion, or to perhaps enter a competition, and then the notion that dogs need a wardrobe of ridiculous outfits, that doggy sweaters look great and 'doesn't poochy look sweet dressed in a tutu'. If Blue was on about the latter then I'd be with you guys in keeping him talking as reservations were made at the funny farm.

But that isn't the case at all. This has been a funny Ootb with all the links to dog owners who should be getting thier medication increased, as well as a few inventive and good natured pot shots at Blue but I feel poor old Blue is being put in the wrong camp unfairly.

Still, the mob have spoken, lol! And it looks like they brought pitchforks and torches too! Run man, run!

--------------------

Ihya

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Costumes Oct 22, 2003, 06:45 [MP] Wolverine [MP]

New Google stuff ... Goto Google .. type "define WHATEVER".

define baklava

Web Definition: Baklava - A very sweet dessert made of layers of flaky pastry filled with a mixture of ground nuts (often pistachios) and sugar. The pastry is sliced, baked, and brushed with a honey syrup flavored with lemon or rose water.
www.idunno4recipes.com/KitchenGuide/GlossaryB.htm - More definitions

define balaclava

Web Definition: balaclava - A fireproof mask covering all but a driver's eyes.
cbs.sportsline.com/u/racing/auto/glossary/b_glossary.htm - More definitions

60. Re: Halloween Dog Oct 22, 2003, 06:03 Halsy

As long as food is involved, dogs will never have dignity. That whole "roll over, beg, heel" thing throws dignity right out the window.

Maybe it's just the difference of where you grew up and what kind of dogs you grew up with. The dogs I grew up with were big working dogs (big sheppards, malamutes, ridgebacks etc.) most were used in hunting, protection (my sheppard was a trained attack dog, used to go hunting with my old man, etc.).
Begging, rolling over, etc. just didn't enter into their doggy vocabularies. Try and taunt my dog with a piece of meat and you'd recieve a very intense stare that conveyed the thought of, 'Well, bub, we can do this easy way or the hard way. The easy way is you just drop the meat and that's that. Keep on taunting me and maybe I'll just take your hand off at the wrist. It's your move'
Maybe also given the fact that my dog literally saved my ass on three occasions , I never felt inclined to submit him to that sort of humiliation, or to prop up my own ego by lording over him that I was the alpha (truth was my pop was the alpha anyway).
Maybe it's entirely irrational on my part, but I hate seeing people dress up their dogs (bandanas, etc.), or making them do stupid tricks or beg. To me that just smacks of low self-esteem.

Ketchup? Catsup? Ketchup? Catsup? Oh dear, I'm in over my head.
- Mr. Burns

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

59. Re: Halloween Dog Oct 22, 2003, 02:42 ExcessDan

haha the best one i saw on that site:

I wish your husband took me with him when he left.

haha

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ExcessDan

58. Re: Halloween Dog Oct 21, 2003, 23:41 JediLuke

And sorry Blue, but since this was a LOTD some time ago:

http://www.radicalapathy.com/rants/rant19.asp

Yes, thank you! I was looking for that earlier, but a google search of "dog, halloween costume, stupid" and other variants turned up nothing.

~Steve

57. way off topic Oct 21, 2003, 22:25 WarPig

Our average high temp for Oct 21st is 63. The record, set in 1963 was 75.

Today's high temp was 87!

Oh yeah, I saw a show about different venomous animals and included was the cone snail. It's sting can kill a full grown man and if it doesn't kill you it hurts so bad that you wish it did.

(stupid rain delay)

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

56. Re: Costumes Oct 21, 2003, 21:27 Bunko

Oops.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

55. Re: Halloween Dog Oct 21, 2003, 20:30 WarPig

My cat's already dressed up for Halloween, being black and all. Not to mention she's missing a leg. Scary.

I think most of kids will be delightfully delighted at the sight of Hudson.

Blue: "Hey kid, look over there at the funny dog!"

Kid: "Yeah that's great... hey! Why are you... didn't I have a Snickers bar in my bag?"

Blue: "What? No, no, I was just placing this delicious Life Saver gently in your bag as not to break anything. See the Life Saver? It's orange, mmmmm mmmmm. Next!"

And sorry Blue, but since this was a LOTD some time ago:

http://www.radicalapathy.com/rants/rant19.asp

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

54. Re: Halloween Dog Oct 21, 2003, 19:38 c r i s p y

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C8Y1A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oh you poor, poor creature...

---
Chris.

53. Re: Costumes Oct 21, 2003, 19:37 MeatForce

So, what do you think would be cooler, Subcommandant Marcos (the Zapatista leader w/ Baclava + pipe)

Bunko, although SC Marcos is reputed to be quite fond of baclava [sic], I think you'll be more easily recognized as him (bit ironic, actually) if you wear a balaklava featuring the letters EZLN embroidered beneath a red star on the forehead...

sorry, totally couldn't resist. The image of him chilling out at a Halloween party with his pipe and a nice gooey slab of homemade baklava is pretty damn funny

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

52. Re: p.s. Oct 21, 2003, 19:08 Enahs

edit: A cat has dignity - but they also don't give a f$%* about you. But that also makes them very low maintenance.

I have a cat also, have had it for 9 years, she is great.

But uhh, She licks her own butt all the time, so does every other cat I have known. So umm, if that is dignity..errr...I would hate to imagine what you do to your self in your spare time ! heh

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

51. Re: p.s. Oct 21, 2003, 19:07 JediLuke

Friends don't let friends dress their dogs up for Halloween.

~Steve

50. Re: p.s. Oct 21, 2003, 18:59 nin

I think the whole eating-of-their-own-feces-and-vomit thing leaves something to be desired in the dignity department... but maybe that falls under the broad category of 'food' in your example.

My sister has a dog that did that. Ugh...think I'd managed to block it out until you brought it up.

Man, I don't miss that dog...

edit: A cat has dignity - but they also don't give a f$%* about you. But that also makes them very low maintenance.

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.loopz.co.uk/
This comment was edited on Oct 21, 19:02.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

49. Re: p.s. Oct 21, 2003, 18:36 MeatForce

I'm surprised by the "anti-dog dressing" vote around here...

OMG! Randy was right!! Definitive proof of our rabid pack-mentality! yes, pun intended

As long as food is involved, dogs will never have dignity.

I think the whole eating-of-their-own-feces-and-vomit thing leaves something to be desired in the dignity department... but maybe that falls under the broad category of 'food' in your example.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 18:47.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

48. Re: Costumes Oct 21, 2003, 17:29 The Truth

*animal in costume = Funny stuff!

* dogs/cats/cows (Ive seen a cow in a little paper party hat, funniest thing ever)

------
Marketing, The New Religion!!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

47. Re: Costumes Oct 21, 2003, 17:21 nin

I read a statistic that 2 out of 3 anonymous trolls die a slow, painful death by S.T.D...

Who woulda thought?

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.loopz.co.uk/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46. Re: Costumes Oct 21, 2003, 17:08 Enahs

i read a statisic that 2 out of every 3 dog owners have homosexual tendencies.

I read a statistic that 2 out of every 3 people spell statistic wrong.

Sorry…could not resist!

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

45. Re: Costumes Oct 21, 2003, 17:06 Jobz

i read a statisic that 2 out of every 3 dog owners have homosexual tendencies.

44. Costumes Oct 21, 2003, 16:57 Bunko

Personally, I'm taking the "anti-dog-costume" route. I think it's sorta tacky and the dogs may have fun, but couldn't they have just as much fun on Halloween w/o the costumes?
Actually, it's mostly for the delight of the kids, we get literally hundreds of trick or treaters here.
You must live in suburbia Blue! I have never gotten a single kid at my house, but then again I live out in the boondies.

I may be dressing up for Haloween this year. I occasionally do when I feel like it. So, what do you think would be cooler, Subcommandant Marcos (the Zapatista leader w/ Baclava + pipe) or Leon, the Professional (hey, why not, I've got the glasses)?

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

43. Re: No subject Oct 21, 2003, 16:53 Enahs

hehe be my guest in browsing through my 2422 posts to find the right one

I remember something about a bird...
Finch? Was it something & finch?
heh

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo