Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

UT2004 Pricing Plans

Atari and Epic games Announce North American Rebate Program, Pricing for Unreal Tournament 2004 has details on the different ways UT2004 can be purchased in North America when the next installment in the multiplayer shooter series is released (currently scheduled for this year's holiday season). In addition to the standard retail package which will include UT2004 as well as UT2003 and its mission packs, there will be a metal-boxed DVD Special Edition ($20 more at $59.99) with Video Training Modules for mod authors, a chat headset, and an Unreal window sticker. The announcement also includes word of a planned $10 rebate for owners of UT2003 that purchase either version of UT2004.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. No subject Oct 22, 2003, 14:52 f13

i saw and played the game at ECTS this year

i loved UT
UT2003 pretty much SUCKS

but this one was very very nice
it has a more arcade stylish but it's fast paced and from what i've played, sounds promising!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: not even accurate. Oct 22, 2003, 09:27 nin

Each team starts with a power base which is connected to nearby neutral nodes on the map. A team can take over one of the neutral nodes and make it into an intermediary base, which then provides additional vehicles and weapons.

Whoa, it's Herzog Zwei!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.loopz.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

75. not even accurate. Oct 22, 2003, 09:13 Nexus

>So, where does UT2K4 fit into the above? if you ask me, and >this is the main reason i think it draws criticism is that >people have moved on from the competition style play, and >prefer team games or solid single player games. UT2K4 im >sure is fun to play for a few hours, but i think people >prefer to have combat evolve with the push of wither team, >to realise that youve just lost ground and that your team >has to make it up or u doomed.

Ignores the new Onslaught mode completely btw.

I quote the IGN preview:

"Compared to the twitch-and-kill play of the other modes, Onslaught seems a bit confusing at first. I could describe Onslaught as an advanced version of Domination, with vehicles, but this wouldn't convey the depth available in this mode. Each team starts with a power base which is connected to nearby neutral nodes on the map. A team can take over one of the neutral nodes and make it into an intermediary base, which then provides additional vehicles and weapons. The base, of course, is vulnerable to attack from the opposing team. The catch, though, is that you can only grow or attack a base which is connected to a base node your team already owns. The goal is to play connect-the-dots across the map until you've reached the enemy's power base, which can then be destroyed."

74. Re: trends Oct 21, 2003, 23:53 nessus

>I dont suppose anyone else has noticed the treds in pc >games?

>Quake era - good single and multiplayer, with the >begginings of true 3d acceleration

Included co-op

>Quake 2 - Large number of companys switch to single player >sweetness (Q2, unreal, sin etc)

Included co-op that was awesome. Best aspect of the game.

>Quake 3 - From the outcry of too much single player comes >the tournament style games Q3, UT etc

Ultimately, the weakness of these games - no story, no co-op, unless you count slagging 'bots... it got old quickly for many of us. The best thing about UT was Assault, which got left out of UT2K3.

>Wolfenstein - multiplayer seems to be the push, so companys >go into the team aspect, moving away from the single player >man of destruction, to solid team play that relies on >others.

but no co-op gameplay. This is the critical flaw of most modern first person shooters. No top of the line game (apart from Red Storm's titles) has had it since Half-Life. I have discovered that I just don't enjoy FPS games without co-op play, and I'm just throwing my money away if I buy a FPS game without it. Hell, I would not have given Serious Sam a look if Half-Life, Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor, Jedi Knight, etc. would have co-op play.

>Doom 3 - and now we seem to have come back round to a >strong single player experiance that push the envelope both >graphically and imaginativly (Doom 3, HL 2, Max payne 2 >etc)

but no co-op! I know that I am not the only one out here who misses this and is passing up on new titles because of this.

>The above i might have games maybe in the wrong time soon, >but generally i think i have the trends in the right order.

>So, where does UT2K4 fit into the above? if you ask me, and >this is the main reason i think it draws criticism is that >people have moved on from the competition style play, and >prefer team games or solid single player games. UT2K4 im >sure is fun to play for a few hours, but i think people >prefer to have combat evolve with the push of wither team, >to realise that youve just lost ground and that your team >has to make it up or u doomed.

The fact that it has Assault back will make me take a look at it. After all, none of the other top new titles is going to have the co-op gameplay I'm looking for. In fact, the past few LAN parties I've attended have played only one title - NeverWinter Nights... it has a great co-op mode and works if everyone does not want to spend their time shooting each other.

73. UT2004 Oct 21, 2003, 14:13 Nexus

Assault was by far my favourite mode of Unreal Tournament, and I was devastated that they left it out of UT2003. [I spent hours practicing and perfecting impact jumping on some of the levels].

2003 was a good game, but it didn't offer that much in the way of what I was looking for. I'm hoping that with 2004 they've rectified this, and I'll get it just to find out (yay brand loyalty).

If anything, Halo (oo, contentious) and a number of other games have proved that team combat with fun vehicles, and especially for objectives, is awsome, and UT2004 will be adding integral VOIP to the mix, among other things. Given 2003 as a solid start for 2004, and offering all sorts of stuff based finally on a good look at what they should be offering with UT (which also includes much more variety in the scenery than Quake ever did), how on earth could I turn down something that could easily be the most fun and solid game in the area to date?

I think a lot of you are just trash talking it because they got it wrong with 2003, rather than looking at why 2004 could be a good game that builds upon the good technical groundwork of 2003, while adding a number of things that were clearly missing given what made UT so well rounded.

72. Re: WHAT? Oct 17, 2003, 18:48 John Nelson

I'm out of the loop...was UT2k3 a piece of crap? I enjoyed it but I made that mistake before. Was it worse than Dragon Blast or Special Enemies 3? Be honest!

71. Re: What surprises me Oct 17, 2003, 04:48 Mr Gar

"Didn't the demo clue you in on the fact that it was going to suck?"

Your right. I played the demo and didnít like it. Unfortunately I was such a huge fan of the original UT that I refused to believe the full game could be that bad. I was wrong, UT2003 has long been uninstalled but I still play UT on and off. Itís just got so much more atmosphere.

70. I just played the UT2K4 beta. Oct 17, 2003, 01:29 Smellfinger

gregpalast.com
This comment was edited on Oct 17, 01:58.

69. Re: It Doesn't Suck Oct 17, 2003, 00:32 WarPig

I'm with you Shadrak, while the game didn't blow me away, I still like to play it and still find it fun. And like you said, it's the movement options that I miss most when I play other games.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

68. Re: What surprises me Oct 16, 2003, 23:51 Jigen

Lol, if only it HAD been 'Quake2003' or Quake 4 Arena... Quake 3 Arena, if I were to play a arena style game, is my fav. Most will say the physics of Quake 3 are far superior to UT2k3. And I'm not talking about karma physics. It lies more in movement and gameplay. Quake 3 is a really solid game with rock hard netcode. Too bad it's so old.

67. It Doesn't Suck Oct 16, 2003, 23:28 Shadrak

The concensus around here seems to be that ut2k3 sucks. I demur. Perhaps it didn't innovate in a way that many hoped for, but for pure dm fun it can't be beat. Weapon balance is much improved over the original ut, and it's not nearly as spammy as was the original. It's more quake-like than ut99, but only where it needed to be. It still has weapons with alt-fire, shock combos, head shots, dodges and all of what made ut99 such a joy. And it has more, especially in the way of movement: double jumps, dodge boost jumps, wall jumps, etc. Compared to all other dm options gamers have at present, its incredibly deep.

Part of the problem is that it's a difficult game to learn. I don't mean difficult to get a basic handle on the weapons and kill a few bots. It's difficult to begin to master the moves, weapons, maps etc and then begin to compete online. If you haven't played much, I can absolutely guarantee you that you would not be able to kill me, and I would be able to kill you at will.

And no the game isn't dead. It's a bit empty in the mornings, but in the evenings there are lots of good games played.

I have the feeling that most peeps here gave ut2k3 a quick try, found it different enough from ut that their skills didn't immediately transfer to the new game, assumed as a consequence that epic had screwed up and never gave the game a real shot. A pity, really. It's one of the best games released in the past year.

Peace

66. red orchestra Oct 16, 2003, 23:25 Merc248

the only thing that will ever make me buy this game is if red orchestra will move completely to 2K4, which they have said they will. not only will there be 3d voice comm support added to RO in 2K4, there will also be vehicles. will make the mod that much better

-------------
GNSProject.com News Cronie
*What I say is my opinion only, and does not reflect the site I work at.

65. What surprises me Oct 16, 2003, 22:55 Creston

is that so many people actually bought Quake2003 and then complained that it sucked. Didn't the demo clue you in on the fact that it was going to suck? I played the demo for a few hours, then realised that it really wasn't going to get any better "if I just gave it a bit more time", deleted it, moved on.

I think that, in itself, was why they didn't release an Unreal 2 demo until AFTER the game was out. The Quake2003 demo probably cost them quite a few sales.

It's funny to hear Atari yap at how "piracy cost them a lot of sales in the Unreal franchise, since neither Quake2003 nor Unreal 2 made their predicted sales."
Yes, I'm sure the fact that both games plain simply sucked had nothing to do with those disappointing sales.

The only thing in 2004 that marginally grabs my interest is the return of Assault.

It's a shame that such a great game (the original UT) has turned into such a sloppy franchise.

Creston

64. Re: proof Oct 16, 2003, 22:44 Jigen

the reciept seemingly is only for UT2004, you only need the PoP from UT2003... and you need a 'voucher'.

63. Re: proof Oct 16, 2003, 22:42 WarPig

Luckily for me (if I decide to buy this) I did save the manual. Plus, I looked inside it and found the receipt - I can't believe I was that organized for once.

Still, the point is, who else did this? Probably not too many. It'd be nice if there was a unique proof-of-purchase file that was generated as the game was installed that could be email back to Epic

~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

62. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 22:41 Tony!!!

Heh, I've still got my box. Boxes with quality artwork make for good decor for a pc gamers room. I have two black shelve bolted onto my wall. On the top shelve I have the boxes for Black n White, Alice, Wolfenstein,Dungeon Siege and BF Secret weapons.
On the lower shelf I have all of the current Gunslinger books and the Eye of the World series by Robert Jordan. I also have on this self, Neverwinter Nights, BF 1942 and Jedi Knight 2.
On my desk to the left of my 21 NF monitor I have the MoH box. To the right, Morrowind and Unreal 2. And on my desks elevated shelf to the far right UT2k3 along with all of my jewel cd cases and dvds.
Ahem, I should also mention that I have a Quake 3 arena Road Tour poster which my brother framed with a cherry wood and black border and matte finish. Looks real nice.

.... oh and in the oposite corner of my room where I have my mini fridge, on top of that, is my Tribes 2 box and my NOFL 2 box, right next to my Catipillar figurine from Alice. (I have Alice and the cat next to my 5.1 decoder on my desktop.)

Ahhhhhh, Sorry I didn't jump on the negativity bandwagon. I'm too cool for that at the moment. Like Lionel Richie sang, 'I'm easy like Sunday Morning.'

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

61. What ep. II Oct 16, 2003, 22:37 Jigen

I was sitting here feeling extra pissed off, when I turned around and looked at my stack of game boxes and saw my UT2003 box, so I have my proof of purchase. But I know that many don't. Epic/Infogrames are asking for more consumer backlash than usual on this one.

60. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 22:11 Alacritan

Exactly. And who kept the box? I sure as hell didn't. I let my friends all borrow the game, wear it out after a couple weeks each, then we sold it back to EB for EB dollars. UT2k3 was crap. And now I'm expected to pay full price for a game they worked on for 1/3 the amount of time as the previous game? No way. I'm getting this one off Kazaa. Epic can lick my balls. Sure, it looks way better than UT2k3, but I'm not willing to shell out any money unless I know it's worth buying, because last year's game surely wasn't. I can only hope Tribes Vengeance will be. Nothing has topped the original Tribes or UT and it doesn't look like this is going to change any time soon.

59. proof Oct 16, 2003, 20:56 WarPig

Owners of Unreal Tournament 2003 will be required to submit a proof of purchase for Unreal Tournament 2003 along with a voucher and receipt from Unreal Tournament 2004 in order to receive the rebate.

As far as I can see, unless you kept the box, which I didn't, the only proof of purchase is the small game manual with the CD key written on it. Also if I remember right, Epic was too cheap to even include a jewel case for the CD's.

~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

58. No subject Oct 16, 2003, 17:51 RazorWynd

ah you speak the truth the truth

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >