Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The trip to Dr. Toothy was pretty easy, he did a little spackle job on the tooth and sent me on my way... I trust him enough to suppress my fear that any fix so quick and easy can be undone just as quickly and easily.

With our trip this weekend cancelled, Camp Hudson is in session, as Hudson the wonder dog's Uncle Sparky (my dad's dog) is staying with us. He's the sweetest little thing, but that's about the only trait he shares with his young niece, it's an adventure walking a large active Airedale with this slower geriatric little Eskimo dog... with the trouble this gives me, I can't even imagine how those pro dog walkers with a dozen pooches on a spider-web of leashes manage to move a step.

Links of the Day: Jimi Hendrix Action Figure. Thanks Steven Peterson.
Escher's Ascending and Descending in LEGO.
Stories of the Day: Man charged in 'Nazi' dog case. Thanks pcurt001.
Ontario farmer challenges driver's licence photo.
Gun maker sets sights on home decor.
Science!: Inventor spurns burns with red-hot invention. Thanks Enahs.
Supersized cholesterol carriers key to long life?
It's Wake-Up Time.
Media of the Day: Dark Tip: Destroy All Data. thanks KJ.
Follow-up: China's astronaut returns safely.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: bluesnews.com server problems Oct 17, 2003, 13:01 nin

I'm sure you've heard this a few times already, but 50% of the time when I try and hit the front page www.bluesnews.com I get the typical Internet Explorer "cannot find this server" error.

That's a DNS error, man...call your ISP.

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.laptopic.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. bluesnews.com server problems Oct 17, 2003, 12:55 zaq

Blue! fix your server or something.

I'm sure you've heard this a few times already, but 50% of the time when I try and hit the front page www.bluesnews.com I get the typical Internet Explorer "cannot find this server" error.

Is it the front page add that fails to load?

64. Re: It's 10am, and nin is getting restless.. Oct 17, 2003, 11:51 DrEvil

bear suit looks like the fatties in tribes

63. It's 10am, and nin is getting restless.. Oct 17, 2003, 11:08 nin

Who let Blue's dogs out?

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.laptopic.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

62. Re: China astronaut returns safely Oct 17, 2003, 07:00 Ihya

If we're going to Mars, NASA is the wrong place to look. They're horribly inefficient and rigid. Right now they're basically an engineer's retirement home.

You know I didn't want to come in too hard criticising NASA, but I feel this is the real truth. They are so inflexable. NASA has spent so long chasing after an ISS, with reasons like growing perfect crystals in zero g which could all be done on something mush cheaper like Mir (and fine so long as no one sneezes)! It is seriously syphoning off funds from all other projects and spiralling out of control financially to maintain.

Okay, Mars is more of a gamble, I'm in two minds on whether bone atrophy or cosmic radiation is bad enough to prevent that goal, but why the hell not a lunar base? We know we can do that. Three days there. Three days back. Sure it would be difficult to sustain even a modest population (almost no mineral resources) but imagine a multinational base there...

An ISS is of course a 'cool' idea, but limited in application I think at the end of the day. We could be aiming so much higher IMO.

Will I get to see a landing on mars in my lifetime? I really hope so...

Cheers for the thoughts guys...

--------------------

Ihya

61. Re: Fire Guy - Inventor spurns burns... Oct 16, 2003, 23:59 rkone

The fire paste video can be found here:
http://www.exn.ca/searchresults/v12849dp.asp

Truly amazing if you ask me

That fire guy movie is neat, but it's not as impressive as the ceramic tiles that are used on the space shuttle. This was also on the discovery network: the demonstrator had placed a 3x3x3 inch cube in a furnace, when he pulled it out with tongs, it was glowing hot. He placed the cube on the table and immediately picked it up with his bare hand, the center of the cube still glowing. The biggest difference here: The furnace may be at the same temperature as a welding torch, but it has a hell of a lot more heat. It's like being dipped in a bathtub of boiling water verses of pouring on a cup of boiling water.

The 10 minute hockey helmut burn in the video is nothing in comparison to what the shuttle experiences, take a look:
http://www.columbiassacrifice.com/temperature.htm

That's over 25 minutes at over 1000 degrees F, including 15+ minutes over 2000 (take a look at the wing leading edge and nose cone). Again, this is more than just one blowtorch per tile. The entire heat shield is covered in plasma and needs to withstand a lot of heat. Plus there's the application problem, making sure the coating is perfect across the entire surface. The video's strength test wasn't very convincing, you could hit glass the same way without it breaking. The material will need to remain in good enough condition through the entire mission (including reentry) so that it doesn't mess with the ship's aerodynamics - landing the shuttle has already been compared to landing a giant brick with wings.

I'm not saying this guy's "fire paste" isn't useful, but he sure comes across as a con man when he says he can protect the shuttle for $25,000...

60. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 23:53 WarPig

Not easy stuff to calculate the cuts required to fab up weld fittings that will give proper face to centers.

Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of very bright guys working out there, and they were the ones who were given the challenging jobs. I had a foreman when I first started who, although often strange and obnoxious, was damn near a mathematical genius. Give him an angle and he could tell you the sine, cosine, and tangent values - no shit, the man either had the entire trig table memorized or he was doing the stuff in his head. Either way it was impressive as hell. He was later shot dead by his girlfriend who got off because it was self defense. Crazy.

But there were some idiots out there too.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

59. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 23:27 Bronco

When I got accepted, I was the only apprentice that I or anyone else knew of who didn't have a relative in the trade.

You can try to be modest. I've read the textbooks and classroom materials they give to apprentices.

Not easy stuff to calculate the cuts required to fab up weld fittings that will give proper face to centers.

I've done take offs for flange pipe jobs, not work for simpletons.

edit - as for the relatives, thats true with many unions.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 23:27.

-TPFKAS2S

58. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 23:02 WarPig

What local were you in? The local here is 420.

UA Local 598
http://www.ua598.org/

The thing is, after I turned out (became a journeyman), work really dried up and I decided I wanted to do something where I wouldn't have to travel around the country to find a job. So I went back to school and got a BS in instrumentation and never worked a minute as a journeyman pipefitter.

Here's the kicker though - I've never worked a minute as a instrument tech either... and that was 15 years ago.

You have to be pretty damn smart to get into that union.

Who told you that! Don't believe everything (or anything) those steamfitters tell you! When I got accepted, I was the only apprentice that I or anyone else knew of who didn't have a relative in the trade.

~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

57. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 22:45 Bronco

You love statistics?! No wonder you enjoy being hip-deep in shit!

True.

Hip deep sucks. That means you are in waders. Last time I was in waders was over Labor Day. Next time you eat a piece of bacon think of Labor Day 2003.

The person I am really jealous of is my sister. Dual major Mathmatics/Statistics. She already has an offer for grad school tuition paid with a $1K per month stipend.

To be young and smart. My parents ripped me off with the genes they gave me.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

56. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 22:42 Bronco

Oh well, it was boring as hell anyway!

Not for me. We actually have two journeymen steamfitters at our shop.

edit - this is one of the few unions that does not have a 'Master' classification. Journeymen is as high as you go.

One of them has worked in nuke plants in the past.

What local were you in? The local here is 420.

If you have to be in a union steamfitter is the way to go. If you can get in...

You have to be pretty damn smart to get into that union.

-TPFKAS2S

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 22:46.

-TPFKAS2S

55. Re: China astronaut returns safely Oct 16, 2003, 22:36 AgentD

If we're going to Mars, NASA is the wrong place to look. They're horribly inefficient and rigid. Right now they're basically an engineer's retirement home.

I think we'll have much more luck in the private sector, and as for a solid plan for a Mars Mission, check out Robert Zubrin.

54. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 22:31 WarPig

You know what pisses me off? When I write a semi-long post stating how I am an ex-steamfitter and yadda-yadda-yadda, press the "post" button, and get a "page can not be displayed error", and end up losing everything I typed!

Oh well, it was boring as hell anyway!

~ WarPig ~
This comment was edited on Oct 16, 22:32.

GO SEAHAWKS!

53. Re: China astronaut returns safely Oct 16, 2003, 22:14 c r i s p y

This is not a problem, just Like in 2001, B5, and countless other sci-fi movies and books, a rotating area. The thing is, you would not have to make the whole thing rotate, just the living quarters. Where people would sleep and eat, and dispose of waste, etc.

As it would be very hard to try and make everything rotate, and would be a waste. Plus, we are still doing all kinds of research on the effects of no(sorta) gravity.

Actually, making the whole thing rotate would be a snap, many satellites are given a spin to increase thier stability (gyroscopic effect), the problem with this (and the reason it hasn't already been done) is that the diameter of the 'wheel' has to be very large, or the inhabitants experience nasty motion-sickness. This makes it impractical.

---
Chris.

52. Re: China astronaut returns safely Oct 16, 2003, 22:06 Enahs

Until they solve the problem of what the effects of low-gravity have on the human body, nobody's going to Mars - unless they find a way to get there and back a whole lot quicker.

This is not a problem, just Like in 2001, B5, and countless other sci-fi movies and books, a rotating area. The thing is, you would not have to make the whole thing rotate, just the living quarters. Where people would sleep and eat, and dispose of waste, etc.

As it would be very hard to try and make everything rotate, and would be a waste. Plus, we are still doing all kinds of research on the effects of no(sorta) gravity.

I would think that spending 8-10 hours a day in the gravity environment, would GREATLY increase the maximum amount of time one could stay in space without causing any long-term damage. And doing in that way is a lot more feasible budgie wise.

This is just my idea, it makes logical sense to me, and this is also assuming that repeatedly switching back in forth from no gravity to gravity would not cause any harm over a period of time.

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

51. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 22:06 c r i s p y

with a minor in statistics (my real true love)

!!?!

You love statistics?! No wonder you enjoy being hip-deep in shit!

---
Chris.

50. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 22:04 The Truth

I did a ski season in Les Deux Alpes (France) a few years ago.

I was only a waiter/cleaner, but i got to do basically free unlimited boarding.

Anyways, one of my 'duties' along with the rest of the staff was to clean the rooms everyday, which included the bathrooms and the toilets therein.

Its funny but a job that has you seeing intresting cloggings and funny colours left in the bowls of around 80 rooms doesent sound appealing. But once i found out that i could have every room done faster than if i was on bed making duty i loved it!

So much so that i walked into a couples bathroom while they were going at it in the bedroom (should have been out skiing, hence no knock), and announced to my bed maker colleauge "Jesus Alex! Look at the skid marks in this one!!".
Strangely enough they werent too amused..

------
Marketing, The New Religion!!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

49. Re: China astronaut returns safely Oct 16, 2003, 21:56 c r i s p y

I can't remember what a round trip to Mars would take but I believe it's in years. Anyone know?

Using current technologies: six months to get there, six to get back. Plus whatever time you spend there.

Edit: As far as the bone mass loss problem goes, there are technologies in development like the ion propulsion system that produce constant thrust and therefore constand acceleration. A side effect of this is a sort of artificial gravity. Current systems don't produce a whole lot of thrust, but hopefully that will improve.

It's kind of a neat idea, really. You stand on the gas for half the trip, then turn the ship 180 degrees and stand on it to slow yourself back down. The sucky part is that the closer you get to your destination, the the slower you end up travelling (peak velocity is acheived somewhere around mid-trip). Think: are we there yet?

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 22:02.

---
Chris.

48. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 21:42 Bronco

As I am typing this, I am at work, on a computer that is next to a room that houses thousands of rats and mice.

We have designed and built treatment facilities to deal with the cage washes of just such places.

Yuck huh?

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

47. Re: Dirty Jobs Oct 16, 2003, 21:41 Bronco

Out of curiosity Bronc, how did you get into doing what you're doing? It seems like interesting-but dirty-work. Just not the sort of think one makes a concious choice to pursue as a career option. I suppose you'll never see a shortage of work either.

I grew up around water. My Grandfather was a professional engineer that specialized in water and wastewater treatment. My Dad is a chemist that went into operational management for one of the larger investor owned water utilities in the states. I guess my family has water in its veins.

As for moving into the wastewater side..there is no shortage of work at all. When I was 15 I worked summers and after schools for a steamfitter (think plumber but on a much larger scale - 48" diameter pipe and larger) loading his trucks and learning the business.

I went to college with no intention of sticking with the 'family business' and earned a degree in accounting with a minor in statistics (my real true love).

After college I bounced around in retail for a while, I liked the party atmosphere, retail is strictly for the young.

I stayed in touch with the family of the steamfitter and about 4 years ago an opportunity came up for me to go into business with them. I jumped at the chance. It is great to be your own boss. A lot of long hours but great all the same.

As for doing this nasty stuff every day - no, I spend more time dealing with municipal and industrial clients, bonding issues, contract stuff, some estimating.

However, everybody in the company is expected to turn wrenches at some point. I mainly get out on the worst of the worst jobs when the most man power is needed.

Ultimately it is very interesting work that changes every day. Just when you think you've seen it all....you get the idea.

99% of the population has no idea what happens when they flush the toilet. Many people argue that chlorination and the invention of the p-trap have more to do with modern society than anything else. Without them we'd have a much higher infant mortality rate.

Sorry if that was long winded. I guess you can tell I really enjoy my work (as gross as it can be from time to time).

Some day I'll provide you guys with a cheat sheet for talking to contractors. That way if you have work done on your house they will think you are in the business and won't rip you off.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo