Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Gold

On Condition Zero's Buy System on Shacknews (thanks Dr. Del) is a forum thread that includes a post from Valve's Gabe Newell that helps sort out a couple of seemingly contradictory bits, word that the game would be gold as of last Friday (story) and subsequent word that the game was in the hands of a new developer, Turtle Rock Studios (story). The update includes an e-mail from Turtle Rock confirming their participation, along with a very low-key gold announcement from the Valve managing director: "Yes, Condition Zero went gold on Friday. It will be in stores and on Steam November 18th."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Release to Steam Oct 15, 2003, 18:10 Zephalephelah

"Maybe I missed something...but isn't Steam "Valve's new way of getting games into your hands ASAP"? If thats the case, why is CZ being released to Steam on the same day that CZ is going to be in stores."

That's a good question. I suppose that a good answer would be that releasing on the same date gives people a chance to choose. Will the people say that I'll just download it from Steam because its more convenient? Will the people say, I'll just download it from Steam because its $5 cheaper & I don't need the box anyway?

That's enough what-ifs for them to get numbers. If they also release it earlier, then that will just screw up their numbers too much. It becomes much harder to demographic with too many possible reasonings. Although, they could put out a manditory survey. You hit cancel & it goes back one screen, so you have no choice but to fill it out. Then they would have their data.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 15, 2003, 12:17 Snag

If it went gold, that means they are done and it is going to duplication. There is no 3 weeks to work on it. It is "done". That is what "gold" means.

I dunno what to think of Valve now. First it is done, then it is not, then it is going to a new developer now it is done...I am starting to side with ANON. Quit fucking lying to us. Or at the very least be straight with us.

15. Release to Steam Oct 15, 2003, 08:52 Tigger

Maybe I missed something...but isn't Steam "Valve's new way of getting games into your hands ASAP"? If thats the case, why is CZ being released to Steam on the same day that CZ is going to be in stores.

--
Tigger

'Got CS...gas?'

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

14. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 15, 2003, 06:46 Panick

did i miss something?....

13. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 23:15 L0cky

/me pours sauce on his hat

12. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 22:52 Scottish Martial Arts

A SNAKE! A SNAKE! WATCHOUT ITS A SNAKE! Its a ....

11. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 22:23 Bunko

MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!

Heh. I think Blue should post that Media of the Day again.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

10. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 21:44 Wowbagger_TIP

They gotta load a few more squirrels into STEAM and that takes time...

Steam would work better if they'd use badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers....

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Dont care Oct 14, 2003, 21:43 JoeBlack

Why would they fuck themselves over the loss of an asshat?

8. Dont care Oct 14, 2003, 21:18 TangledThorns

Aint buying it. If I owned a Pentium 2 PC and this was the year 2000 then I might. But its not, so they can go fuck themselves.

7. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 20:38 Bunko

squirrels
squirrels
squirrels

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

6. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 19:53 nin

Why is there more then 30 days between the "gone gold" and the in store date? That's wierd.

They gotta load a few more squirrels into STEAM and that takes time...

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.laptopic.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 19:48 Ajax

All those reasons are valid reasons.........for not announcing the game is gold. If the game isn't done, don't tell people it is? Bah who knows. VALVe has lost a lot of respect in my eyes over the past few weeks with their mistakes. Maybe HL2 can fix that.

4. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 19:39 Dr.Del

maybe part of it has to do with Steam... after all, releasing CZ on Steam would be a great test run before releasing HL2 on Steam... since the demand for HL2 is substantially higher resulting in increased loads on the Steam system.. so why not iron out the bugs using CZ as the initial Steam retail release?

just a thought...

another thing that has to do with it is the ANON leak of CZ... probably modifying code to prevent cheating, etc.. who knows..

and another reason could just be the last minute delays during 12-hour day crunch times, trying to find bugs, etc..

- Dr.Del
This comment was edited on Oct 14, 19:40.

- DrDel

3. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 19:36 Ajax

Why is there more then 30 days between the "gone gold" and the in store date? That's wierd.

I don't think it will do well, outside the hardcore CS market and the "On the fly" pick this game up for no special reason other than the box looks cool no one is interested in this piece of ancient history.

2. Re: ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 19:35 Razor6

It sound almost like it really might not be gold. If it went gold last friday then that gives them 3 weeks, maybe a little more, to continue work before it should go off to duplication, assuming that would take 2 weeks.

1. ZzzzZZzzzz Oct 14, 2003, 19:28 WarPig

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo