Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NWN Gold Edition Announced

Atari Unveils the Neverwinter Nights Gold Edition is the press release announcing plans for a repackaged version of BioWare's D&D RPG, slated for release this November. The Gold Edition, obviously enough targeted on keeping the game on shelves for the lucrative holiday sales season, will include the original game, the Shadows of Undrentide expansion, the Aurora tool kit, as well as four modules. Here's a bit on the modules: "The Neverwinter Nights Gold Edition game will also give players a chance to experience some of the most popular and exciting modules created using the Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset. Modules are complete stand-alone adventures that allow players to take part in entirely new stories and adventures within their favorite Dungeons & Dragons worlds. Each of the four included modules has been created by the game’s original designers at BioWare."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. No subject Oct 11, 2003, 17:38 Tra'Hari

...I'm _still_ playing the NWN OC. ToEE is amazing, but as soon as somebody reminded me of NWN, I was totally back into it. Since you can use all the new stuff from SoU, the OC has a whole different character. At the moment, I'm on my way to becoming a Shadowdancer.

All told, I've been playing NWN off and on for a year now, and when Hordes comes out, I'll probably be playing it for a year more. Level 40? 6 new prestige classes? Two henchmen? Henchman romance? I want.

At this point, NWN does look somewhat dated, but even when it was out, I found the texturing to be rather amazing. For example, BioWare snuck in the BG logo on a book in a bookshelf. It's clearly discernible among the other books.

Geometrically, it errs on the side of simplicity because you spend most of the game zoomed out. The lighting is gorgeous, and I really dig the way the grass blows in the wind and moves as your character walks through it.

I'd be inclined to agree with most people that offer the BG series as the pinnacle of the genre... except that there are a couple of glaring flaws that I can't forget.

Here's the one thing that trumps most of the positive feelings I have for BG/BG2: it uses 2nd Edition D&D which, quite frankly, is ass. It was fine at the time, and I did enjoy it. However, now that 3E is out, I can't look back without shuddering; I'll take a 3rd Ed game over a 2nd Ed game any day of the week.

I also can't forget how much of a nightmare trying to make an ideal party was. In BG2, were they _trying_ to make it impossible to play a non-evil party? Viconia, Edwin, Corgan... they're all uber powerful with _extremely_ high stats in their class' prime requisites (respectively, Wis 18 (!), Int 19 (!!), and Con 20 (!!!)).

Most importantly, they're _not multiclassed_, unlike most if not all of the good or neutral spellcasters (Nalia, Aerie, Imoen, Jaheira). Multiclassing just cripples their progression so you're left hurting when you need the high level spell smackdown.

Don't get me wrong: I had a blast while playing them. But as a result of these problems, they had little or no replay value for me. That, combined with the above, means that I have a hard time regarding either as the paragon of RPGs as most people seem to.

Of course, NWN's got its flaws, too, even once you just accept that it's basically the arcade version of D&D (which is a valid approach, but different from the approach taken by ToEE or the BG games). I have two problems with NWN that dwarf any other I could mention:

[1] XP. There ain't enough of it. Kill an extremely challenging dragon, and get 500 XP. Kill a boss with little effort, and get the same. Even if you solo it and do damn near every side quest (which is what I do these days), it's often still not enough to get up to level 20. Very frustrating.

[2] Treasure. With a few exceptions, NWN doesn't handle it very well at all. There are way too many containers, and each container has way too little treasure. Boss treasure, for the most part, is unsatisfying. (The exceptions are those cases when they check what you have Weapon Focus in, for instance, and spawn a magic item of that type.)

Now if you wanna talk Planescape: Torment... that's a whole other issue. THAT game's brilliance outshines the stars.

- Tra'Hari

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2003, 11:45 Jaritsu

Well I wasn't to impressed with the OC, UNTIL I hooked up with a friend and played a LAN 2 player game.

We had to play through the damn thing 4 times with diffrent sets of characters. And each time discover something new. This is the type of RPG that never runs you out of things to do.

So multi player the OC is alot of fun, but more than 2 people and it gets way to easy.

17. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2003, 20:49 Scottish Martial Arts

They only slapped together the single player campaign to satisfy the anti-social computer nerds.

Bullshit, from http://pc.ign.com/articles/357/357954p1.html

Trent Oster: Our goal is that people can go and play the game single player, never go online and never fire up the tool set and they've still got a great gaming experience. If we can hit that, I think we've succeeded.

Well that was my play experience with NWN and it proved to be a big waste of cash.

Ray Muzyka: When we started talking in '97 about Neverwinter, we always envisioned it as a table with four legs -- the single player, the multiplayer, the DMing tools and the toolset (the module making tools). They all appeal to different groups and we've tried to make them all equivalently high quality. We realize that not everyone's going to be into making modules or being DM (or playing multiplayer, for that matter). The single player experience has to be as good as anything we've ever done in BG, BG2 or Throne of Bhaal and hopefully better. Our goal here at BioWare is that each game we do has to be better than the previous one. It really depends on the person but all four of those areas are sort of the focuses of different parts of the team

Sounds to me like their goal was to create a CRPG that allowed fans of both Single and Multiplayer to have a blast.

16. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2003, 19:55 XKiN

it's funny when i see people complaining about NWN's single player OC. The thing most ignaramous' don't seem to realise, is that right from the start, NWN was meant for multi. Bioware even said it when they first announced NWN. They wanted to create a game for computer nerds to hook up over the net and have an adventure. That was their primary goal. They only slapped together the single player campaign to satisfy the anti-social computer nerds.

15. NWN Oct 9, 2003, 18:08 Creston

As an engine, NWN was fine, it did what it was intended to do (after two dozen patches, but oh well).

The single player campaign, however, was designed by the most untalented RPG designers ever to disgrace computer roleplaying games. If these were the guys who did Baldur's Gate 2, then a Stupid Attack must have hit them at some point between BG and NWN.

However, this doesn't mean that people out there aren't making fantastic modules.

The best of them is this guy

http://adamandjamie.com/nwn/

Once you've played through his Dreamcatcher series, you'll be absolutely stunned at just what the NWN engine is capable off. Bioware designed an engine, and used about 5% of its capabilities in their single player campaign.
Trust me, if you hate NWN because of the crap single player campaign, or even the rather lacklustre expansion pack single player campaign, download one of his modules. They take, on average, about two hours to complete, and they'll be the finest two hours of computer roleplaying you've had in a LONG time.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed why Bioware or Troika haven't already offered this guy a couple hundred grand to come design for them. He's about a billion times better than what they're employing now...

Creston

14. Re: Save Your Money Oct 9, 2003, 17:19 Cholma

I've also been playing Shadows of Undrentide at home, and I have to say I enjoyed the original campaign more so far. But I'm not very far in the expansion yet.

Once you get the desert part of the game, take Deekin with you as your Henchmen. He has some of the best dialogs ever written. I played thru first as a Gnome Wizard, so having Deekin along made combat a little tougher, but the laughs were worth it.

13. Re: $ka-ching$(sp) Oct 9, 2003, 16:59 Quan

I hated Baldurs Gate 1, never played 2 but love NWN. Its the only game that I have ever fully ripped apart and learned how it ticks, from the toolset to making new models. Also who wants AI party, when almost anyone( even modem users ) can setup a private server and link up with friends online.

I look at the OC as a example of what can be done even though its not a very good example. You just got to roam around the servers, especially the social servers to see what can be built script wise and tileset wise.

I almost walked past the game not touching it cause I though, oh no another Baldurs Gate or Dungeon Seige.

The only thing that will remove NWN from my HD is NWN 2.

There's no argueing with me, I am a fanboy and won't listen

12. Re: $ka-ching$(sp) Oct 9, 2003, 16:33 ReDeeMeR

I'd rather have 1 Baldurg's Gate (I or II) then NWN with all exp's and modules together.

11. $ka-ching$(sp) Oct 9, 2003, 16:03 John Nelson

I love (L-U-V) the BioWare cD&D stuff but keep feeling shafted by buying early. I usually buy the games within a week of launch..., then comes the special DVD edition or the gold edition with extra content. I know it's my fault for being eager, but why do they have to rub my nose in it?

10. Re: reality check Oct 9, 2003, 15:32 Pineapple Ferguson

Yup, NWN is a big-time POS.

9. Save Your Money Oct 9, 2003, 15:31 DrEvil

Don't buy the gold edition, hunt around and buy the NWN Collector's Edition. You get a neat shirt, uber large cloth poster of Aribeth (whistle), an art of Neverwinter Nights book (lots of glossy high quality illustrations), the NWN soundtrack, a much better bound edition of the manual and a few other things I forget about.

I really enjoyed NWN. It was the first D&D based game I've really enjoyed because it didn't require that I know anything about D&D for it to be fun

While the first part of the original campaign moved a bit slowly, after that I really enjoyed it. I've also been playing Shadows of Undrentide at home, and I have to say I enjoyed the original campaign more so far. But I'm not very far in the expansion yet.

I think the thing that has always stuck out most to me about NWN is the character artwork and some of the voiceovers which are really awesome to me.

NWN is great for an RPG, because you can sit down and play it for an hour and feel like you've gotten somewhere. Unlike other ones I've played where it's only a 60 hour long game because the player has to backtrack over the same area a ridicolous amount of times.

8. Re: reality check Oct 9, 2003, 15:30 nin

Am I the only one who was utterly dissapointed with NWN??? It seemed like everything took a step back.

From a technical Toolset angle, it was a step forward. For gameplay, the included module was certainly a step back. That's not to say that others didn't take the Toolset and do great things with it (they have), but out of the box, I was really let down.

This is why we need KOTOR. NOW!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. No subject Oct 9, 2003, 15:28 space captain

I never kept it on me HD long enough to see the user modules... as I was hoping the multi-player aspect would actually work well - which it did not at all. I wished they would do a better job of making the tool set more "end user" friendly... I mean, the script wizards were a complete joke - and they only gave you like 4 of them. I even got the hintbook for the toolset and it was like a crash course in C+. There was no way to do halfway complicated scripted events without knowing a good deal about programming object oriented languages. Oh well. Maybe the sequel will get it right.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

6. Re: reality check Oct 9, 2003, 15:23 cyxxon

Actually, I was disappointed big time by it as well, and all my friends with me.

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 (and probably Icewind Dale 1 & 2 as well, though I did not really enjoy them) really raised the bar quite high, and NWN was, well, 3D. And that is about it, and quite well summarizes what I dislike about trends. If they are trends, run after them, no matter what. I mean, look at all those beautifully rendered BG backgrounds, and then at the boring NWN textures...

5. Re: reality check Oct 9, 2003, 15:20 Flo

Why being dissapointed by a game that gives you so much value for your hard earned money. Only Quake 3 was longer on my HD than NWN and I'm still downloading and playing free high quality modules.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

4. Re: reality check Oct 9, 2003, 15:18 Azraelot

I couldn't get my head around the fact that you only had one sidekick, and you couldn't even control him. It would've been better had they labelled it a multiplayer-only game, because the single player certainly wasn't worth 50 bucks. Since I don't play RPGs online, I would've saved my money.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

3. reality check Oct 9, 2003, 15:15 space captain

Am I the only one who was utterly dissapointed with NWN??? It seemed like everything took a step back.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

2. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2003, 14:56 Dr.Del

$ka-ching!$

- Dr.Del

- DrDel

1. No subject Oct 9, 2003, 14:54 nin

I want my KOTOR!!! NOW DAMMIT!

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo