Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Gold Friday

Shacknews is reporting having received word from Valve that Counter-Strike Condition Zero is going to be declared gold (complete) on Friday, to be available from both retail stores and the Steam service on November 18. They have also posted a mission scripting example and a screenshot from the game.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. My new favourite quote ever Oct 9, 2003, 14:24 Tim1_2

"I'd buy this game if it was free and better"
-garry

Mwahahahahaha!

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 14:27.

Currently playing: DayZ
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. My new favourite quote ever Oct 9, 2003, 14:24 Tim1_2

Oh hell, the horrible finger-slip double-post.
This comment was edited on Oct 9, 14:26.

Currently playing: DayZ

24. Re: Too Little To Late Oct 9, 2003, 11:01 EricTheMad

they really just should of waited and released it as the multiplayer for halflife 2 and used the engine

So, you think they should release the Single Player version of a game as the multiplayer component of HalfLife? How does that make sense?

I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O. -- Tealc

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

23. Re: THE CONSPIRACY CONTINUES!!! Oct 9, 2003, 10:52 vacs

Ritual Entertainment: Hi, it’s me. We’re finished.
Gabe: No way. We’re about to go gold with HL2. You can’t be finished. Really, you’re finished?
RE: Yep, it’s finally done.
Gabe: Shit. I mean, that’s great, but if we ship these games out within a week of eachother, no one is gonna buy your game.
RE: So, what should we do?
Gabe: Well ship it! By all means, ship it out. We’ll just have to delay again. But it’s all about the bottom line right? I mean if we put out a top-seller game like HL2, we’ll lose money on CS:CZ and I don’t like losing money. I have to buy another yacht this coming year.
RE: Understood. My ’98 Dodge Neon car payment is due. I wish that thing would get hi-jacked. Anyway, WTF are we gonna do about this?
Gabe: Your neon was hacked? What are you talking about.
RE: Not hacked, hi-jacked.
Gabe; Um, I gotta go man, I just got this wild idea….

Unfortunately this story is completely wrong... Here's the truth:

Gabe: How is the CS:CZ development going?

RE: We need at least another 2-3 months to finish it...

Gabe: Release it now!

RE: Why? It's totally buggy and not all gameplay features are implemented.

Gabe: I don't care. The hackers who stole the HL2 source code also stole a fully fonctional CS:CZ version. If you don't release the game now nobody will buy it later on because everyone has played through the leaked version!

RE: F**k... ok, we release the game this week and fix it later.

Gabe: That's what I wanted to hear

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 10:54.

22. Re: hmm Oct 9, 2003, 09:50 Ravenlock

To me, it sounds (and has sounded for some time) all kinds of weak. I mean, did you read the press release? "Missions" consisting of "get one kill with a pistol"? Well hell, sign me up.

What's sad is that Gearbox poured months into creating a full single-player campaign that might have actually been entertaining before Valve yanked it out of their hands and gave it to Ritual, who, as far as I can tell, did pretty much nothing except tweak bot AI and then hand it back.

So now we get Counter-Strike with prettier maps and "arcade-style" goals to accomplish with bots, where we could have had a story and a new experience. Wahoo. Thanks, Valve.

21. hmm Oct 9, 2003, 07:57 garry

I'd buy this if it was free and better and not based on counter-strike

20. Re: In other news.... Oct 9, 2003, 07:22 Beamer

I'd consider it if it was cheap. Sub-$20 cheap.

I trust Ritual more than Raven when it comes to quality FPS, so I'd think it has to be somewhat fun.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: In other news.... Oct 9, 2003, 06:53 TangledThorns

Sorry, not going to buy this game.

18. In other news.... Oct 9, 2003, 06:45 voxel

In other news, Counter Strike Condition Zero was just released to the public for Valve courtesy of the ANON hacker that stole the source code. It is being traded around on IRC channels furiously as we speak...

Man this ANON guy really has Valve by the balls.

17. Re: Yup Oct 9, 2003, 05:14 Bob

CZ never got stolen

'nuf said

16. Yup Oct 9, 2003, 03:50 Brak

Well I'm glad this discussion's over...

15. Re: PC Gamer Review Oct 9, 2003, 03:27 Term

Someone from the Ritual staff stated over at the Ritualistic forums some time ago that they handed over "their" CZ to Valve months ago and that Valve would finish it (whatever that means). So I presume that the version PC Gamer (and german print magazine Gamestar as well) reviewed was some sort of early RC from Ritual... and after being bashed that hard, Valve decided to do some extra polishing themselves.

14. 'no blasters! no blasters!' Oct 9, 2003, 03:27 mattchu

I thought Condition Zero would never see the light of day.. woohoo!

13. PC Gamer Review Oct 9, 2003, 02:12 Contact

CS:CZ was actualyl reviewed in the previous issue of UK PC Gamer, which came out over a month ago - I had no idea it wasn't gold yet, I was just ignoring it as the review slated it rather badly.

Hmm, just went and grabbed the magazine. It was actually the issue before last, so over two months ago. They gave it 65%. A couple of choice quotes:

"Whacking terrorists doesn't gift you either ammo or weapons... you're being forced to sharpen your knife in desperation, though the shiny shotguns and sniper rifles of slain terrorists carpet the floor. Can you pick them up? Can you hell."

"CS:CZ lacks in almost every department. In many ways, it's a clumsy, backward game."

"Condition Zero has to be counted as a failure."

Hmm. We can only hope that they took this review on board and spent the last three months desperately polishing it up, as after that review (from the notoriously "rah rah rah" PC Gamer, who will normally hype up anything with a pulse, especially from the big names) I lost interest so fast I hadn't even realised the game hadn't been released...

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 02:13.

12. No subject Oct 9, 2003, 01:34 D4rkKnight

From what I read on the website, it seems they have focused alot on the single player and "bots" aspect, if they succeded, a single player CS campaign with good AI would be excellent IMO...

11. Pandering.... Oct 9, 2003, 00:53 BlueF

Hmm, anyone else think the CS release may be consolation for (the possibility of) Half-Life 2 being further delayed?

It's been so long not hearing anything about Condition Zero, I had almost forgotten it was still in development (for the third time... or was it the third developer? : ) I have to agree with the post above about waiting and converting this to the Source engine. Kinda like Halo (tho, only in the long wait to PC, not in the Bungie selling out aspect -- releasing CZ after all this time, after CounterStrike finally maybe see a decline in popularity, seems too little, too late... that is, unless the single player (team based) really nails it on the head. Here's hoping. I'll still try it out, just can't see myself buying this unless it's incredibly awesome. Of course, I'll concede that out of the 12 billion CS players still out there, quite a few probably still will buy this. : )

10. THE CONSPIRACY CONTINUES!!! Oct 9, 2003, 00:51 Zephalephelah

Ritual Entertainment: Hi, it’s me. We’re finished.
Gabe: No way. We’re about to go gold with HL2. You can’t be finished. Really, you’re finished?
RE: Yep, it’s finally done.
Gabe: Shit. I mean, that’s great, but if we ship these games out within a week of eachother, no one is gonna buy your game.
RE: So, what should we do?
Gabe: Well ship it! By all means, ship it out. We’ll just have to delay again. But it’s all about the bottom line right? I mean if we put out a top-seller game like HL2, we’ll lose money on CS:CZ and I don’t like losing money. I have to buy another yacht this coming year.
RE: Understood. My ’98 Dodge Neon car payment is due. I wish that thing would get hi-jacked. Anyway, WTF are we gonna do about this?
Gabe: Your neon was hacked? What are you talking about.
RE: Not hacked, hi-jacked.
Gabe; Um, I gotta go man, I just got this wild idea….

9. Re: The Sims ate my sister Oct 9, 2003, 00:37 L0cky

No doubt it'll sell bucketloads anyway. For many 1337 kiddies not buying it would be like a cs1.7 patch coming out and not downloading it.

8. Re: And from our consolation department. Oct 8, 2003, 23:53 PHJF

Condition Zero is gold... so hell froze over and i guess Team Fortress 2 is gold too?

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: And from our consolation department. Oct 8, 2003, 23:38 WarPig

OMG! DrEvil has an evil twin and he's a doctor too!

Now, where's my evil twin, haven't seen him for awhile.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~

GO SEAHAWKS!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo