Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI CATALYST Drivers

The ATI Drivers & Software Website now offers downloads of new version 3.8 CATALYST reference drivers for ATI video cards (thanks Ralph Moore). Word is: "Installing a new driver is only recommended if you are having issues with your ATI product, including those mentioned in the 'Fixed in this driver'. For more details, please review the RELEASE NOTES."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: PROFILES. Oct 9, 2003, 17:37 Tango

The only game that doesnt run on my 9800Pro is Need for Speed HP2, which came bundled with the card!! Dont care because its not a great game, but I did think it was funny.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. I love these threads Oct 9, 2003, 15:31 The Mule

My 9700 Pro is my first ATI and I have had no problems at all, ZERO, including with Homeworld 2 and the 3.7 drivers. I have a couple of GeForce cards (2 MX, 3 standard, 4 4200Ti 128) and they are all great cards.

For me on this round nVidia just didnt seem to match up in terms of bang/$.

I too was very turned off by nVidia's driver BS.

I still have nVidia chipset in my mobo though

MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
1024 Meg Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS2(2x512 in Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Maxtor 40 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
Maxtor 60 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home

42. Re: FS2004 Oct 9, 2003, 11:46 ReDeeMeR

Seems like people dont know how to uninstall drivers or something, seriously, why some have huge probs while others dont? I'm still havin Ti4600 and yet I always uninstall drivers properly so I dont have to deal with carbage preformance later.

You go to some forums and you see dumbasses swearing cause catalyst drivers killed their system? That's total BS how the fuck can drivers kill windows or registry or something, we have loads of old shite Rage 128 etc cards at our offices and hell everything works fine(non 3d software).

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 11:49.

41. Re: FS2004 Oct 9, 2003, 09:37 Jim

Well, looks like my next vid card will be another nVidia. I'm not going to drop $350 on a vid card just so it runs like crap on just about the only 3d applicatoin I run these days--and it's not like HL2 is going to be out any time soon

Jim

40. Re: Wait... Oct 9, 2003, 09:11 nin

Gee Nin.. I guess you should ahve READ THE ARTICLE FOR YOURSELF. Instead of making some judgement based on what a couple of yahoos in this thread said.

Why would I give a f$%* about the morons at "Firingaquads", when there's people I know and chat with here every day?

I trust the opinions of most people here (both pro and anti ATI)...except you.

<nin gives Hellbinder a big hug, as he's obviously QUITE insecure in his purchase.>

It's ok man, it's only a video card...

<Hellbinder cries, wiping his snot encrusted nose all over nin's shoulder.>

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: PROFILES. Oct 9, 2003, 06:14 Mr Gar

I switched from Nvidia and Iím happy. Iíve never had performance or corruption problems in any games. Iím just saying If your going to bother with profiles, you might as well do it properly. I guess Iíll have to keep using Rage3D Tweak.

38. Re: PROFILES. Oct 9, 2003, 06:03 TimothyB

People should just say, "hey I found a bug and I'll report it, anyone else have it?" But some people just say, blah blah blah this bug, blah blah ATI Sucks. Resorting to that tactic because of a simple driver bug, it seems a little drastic saying that ATI in general sucks, it's like where have you been the last year and a half?

You have to know saying ATI sucks will cause an uproar. Just get over the little things. I guess since no one has perfect drivers that Nvidia and ATI both suck.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 06:05.

37. Re: PROFILES. Oct 9, 2003, 05:14 Tango

Itís not brain surgery now is it.
Arguably neither is opeing up the driver settings panel - a few extra clicks. 3.8 drivers seem to work fine for me, tho I wasnt having issues before.
The only reason I said that is because of people like you who like to brag about how good everything is working out for you and your ATI. As if I care..
Yeah fair enough, but if this was a whole board of only ppl that are having problems and "blah blah blah ATI sucks" it'd be a bit one sided.

36. PROFILES. Oct 9, 2003, 04:24 Mr Gar

Profiles are almost useless as you still have to open up the fucking advanced driver settings panel to select one!

When I had a GF3 detonators, let you right click in the taskbar to select profiles. Itís not brain surgery now is it.

35. Re: Wait... Oct 9, 2003, 03:55 John

Also this BS people are posting about "I thought ATi didnt have problems with games anymore". WTF kind of Retarded **** is that anyway??

Hah, I knew someone would have something to say about that. The only reason I said that is because of people like you who like to brag about how good everything is working out for you and your ATI. As if I care..

Yet we still have to put up with BS Biased Coments like appear in this thread. Its Fing RIDICULIUS

That's are real good one there. My comment wasn't biased at all.

This space is available for rent

34. Grrrr.... Oct 9, 2003, 02:37 Lilricky

Great, now I got to go to work and listen to people bitch just because they cant understand how to uninstall the 3.7 drivers and control panel before installing 3.8. Guess they cant read the driver readme. I wish my work would drop ATI from it lists of clients. We do tech support for them, and it really pisses us off when they release a new driver set.

33. Neverwinter Nights Broken Oct 9, 2003, 02:15 Hanneth

With the 3.8 drivers Neverwinter Nights is basically unplayable. The Lighting is completely messes up and textures are dissapearing and appearing randomly every few frames.
Went back to the 3.7 drivers and all is good.

Also Ultima Online full screen problem still is not fixed. I don't play UO anymore, but boot it up every once in a while to see if they've fixed the problem.

-Radian 8500
Yes, I've reported the problems to ATI.

32. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2003, 00:21 TimothyB

And I can say when I had my GF3 for years I had no problems. Same thing with my 9700pro, over a year now. But no matter what there seems to be people on both sides that have some damn set-up that causes problems, while most of us don't. And just because you have a problem, don't expect it to be fixed, you need to start communicating with the company, tell them your set-up, because if they can't recreate it, it can't be fixed. And the majority of people that post online are those with the problems, as most of us that are running fine usually wouldn't bother to as we don't need help. Not to mention probably 80% of the users that don't even use forums.

31. No subject Oct 9, 2003, 00:04 ExcessDan

whoah the rage in this thread

anyways, to spark more i'd like to add that i've never had a problem with new dets and i play lots of games

wait splinter cell was kinda fucked but that game sucked anyways

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ExcessDan

30. Re: Wait... Oct 8, 2003, 23:56 heropsycho

They're rediculous? How about your total disrespect and vulgarity in your reply?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 23:57.

29. Re: Wait... Oct 8, 2003, 23:41 Hellbinder

Gee Nin.. I guess you should ahve READ THE ARTICLE FOR YOURSELF. Instead of making some judgement based on what a couple of yahoos in this thread said. Here is Firingaquads Conclusion

of detail on who should and who should not download this CATALYST driver. We lump the RADEON 8500 and RADEON 9000/9100/9200 owners together under &#8220;DirectX 8 owners&#8221; and the RADEON 9500/9600/9700/9800 owners under &#8220;DirectX 9 owners&#8221;. Today however, we&#8217;re not going to do that, as everyone benefits from today&#8217;s CATALYST 3.8 driver release. That&#8217;s right, every ATI owner, from the guy who went out and bought his RADEON 7500 two years ago, to the hardcore gamer who just pre-ordered his RADEON 9800 XT last week. You&#8217;re all in this together.

Sure, you won&#8217;t see the performance increases you&#8217;ve received in the past from previous CATALYST updates, but this driver just adds too many features to pass up. VPU Recover kicks in if the graphics card fails to respond to display driver commands, potentially saving your data and/or preventing you from those annoying system reboots -- those of you with bootup times of 60 seconds or more will really appreciate this feature.

The new 3D tab is also a very welcome addition. It integrates the functionality of the OpenGL and Direct3D tabs under one location, making control panel navigation easier, seamless would actually be a better way to describe it. The new user profiles feature is long overdue and will definitely be appreciated by the gamer who plays a wide variety of games, while the SMARTSHADER Effects addition is a nice toy to play with.

The uninstaller is something end user&#8217;s who upgrade their display driver often have really been asking for, while OVERDRIVE is nice for the person who&#8217;s always wanted to dabble in overclocking, but was just too afraid to try. Even IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles owners may want to give this driver a test run, if only to see where ATI is heading.

ATI definitely lived up to its promise with CATALYST 3.8. In fact, we&#8217;re surprised ATI didn&#8217;t just skip a few steps and call this driver CATALYST 4.0! Kinda makes you wonder what they have in store for that release huh? We&#8217;re going to borrow a line from the movie biz and say this: if you only have one CATALYST driver to download this year, make sure CATALYST 3.8 is the one! This is certainly our favorite CATALYST release we&#8217;ve seen this year.

Obviously THEY are impressed with the release.

Also this BS people are posting about "I thought ATi didnt have problems with games anymore". WTF kind of Retarded **** is that anyway?? NO DRIVERS ARE PERFECT. Read any Nvidia Reviews lately?? The Whole FX serious is Seriously F'ed up and the Drivers Suck ass. We are talking MULTIPLE GAMES. Not just a little texture tearing issue in one game. Further Nvidia's FX series relies on an endless stream of Sacrificing IQ for Speed and outright Cheating.

Yet we still have to put up with BS Biased Coments like appear in this thread. Its Fing RIDICULIUS

Pentium 4 2.4B 533 FSB
I850EMD2
512mb 40ns Rdram
Radeon 9700pro 330/330
Win Xp

The Whales name is Bob.

28. WOW Oct 8, 2003, 23:14 HIGH_PING

I have a Radeon 7500 PCI card (I know, PCI is fairly slow compared to AGP, but I didn't know Dell was going to screw me over with a SFF AGP slot when I bought my box) and with the 3.7 drivers I would get around 35 fps with quake 3. With the 3.8 drivers, I am getting 60+ fps on the same settings! I never had problems with the 3.7 drivers either.

27. Re: HW2? Oct 8, 2003, 23:06 TimothyB

Also with nvidia. Why is it when ever their cards are doing bad in some new bench, they suddently say our next driver will have a huge performance increase. I've never heard them mention their next driver will perform better outside of respones to poor publicity. ATI has never done this, or needed to with their Catalyst. But they do tell months in advance if their next release will have a boost. I even new several days ago that these drivers where going to be out by someone from ATI actually taking time to post in forums to let us know. That's how I knew weeks ago there'd be a lot of new features with this set and not a lot of fixes.

Nvidia drivers, and rarely certified, are ok, but don't often add features. If they do say there's a boost, it's in response to somethign like HL2, so you know now they are pulling the performance out of their a** at the expense of something. When I had my GF3, most the time people had to switch blindly between leaks to find thae best performing driver. One rarely used the current release of their site, as ususally there were several new ones leaked.

When does any company have bug free drivers? What does bugs in ATI's drivers make one choose Nvidia when they have their own bugs too.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 23:08.

26. Re: Wait... Oct 8, 2003, 22:58 nin

I thought that ATI didn't have any driver problems with games anymore.

Me too. I was ready to jump ship to ATI until I read this thread.

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.yearoftherabbit.net/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: HW2? Oct 8, 2003, 22:55 TimothyB

These drivers were more focused on features, an ATI catalyast maker mentioned. So there are not many fixes in this release.

The only feature that is for the XT cards is the overdrive feature. There's new updates to the MMC, Hydravision, OpenGL and D3D tabs moved to one called 3D, game profiles, shadereffects, the Catalyst uninstaller, the VPU recover, and TV overscan.

So there are a lot of features added than any normal driver release. The next release in a month or two will probably focus on fixes. I wonder what they have planned for 4.0.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo