Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Screenshots - DOOM 3

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Rogue in WoW Oct 15, 2003, 15:01 Vman

Are you serious about backstab? It's in Wolfenstein. Seems that you haven't been playing much since MUDs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: The Chainsaw Oct 9, 2003, 05:29 Zephalephelah

When I played Doom2, I was a crazed maniac with the chainsaw. You could hear me halfway across the map if you weren't shooting. Then as I got closer, you could hear me reving that thing, and finally I would come down a hall with it. You try to blast me with regular guns, but I was a strafing freak and you were afraid, truly afraid. Your pulse pounded, because you knew that it was all about the HuMiLaTiOn, and I was gonna get you.

Finally, I'm there right in front of you, then on the side of you trying to get behind you where I was safe from your weapons, all the while the noise of the chainsaw was everywhere & loud & sometimes it would bite in to flesh & you wanted to scream. You twirled, trying to get a bead on me so you could blast me back to hell, but I just changed direction on you, the chainsaw ripping flesh, your health falling rapidly.

Oh, the chainsaw was good!

32. Re: zombies and chainsaws Oct 9, 2003, 03:33 Ajax

Uh

ACTUALLY it was Doom2

TROLLED!

31. Re: New Background 4 Sure Oct 8, 2003, 22:00 Chance

Stinky_Toe, IIRC from previous information, the "use" key is the same as firing. If you're not holding a gun you can "use" something, and if you're holding a gun then you "use" it when you click that mouse button. Sounds reasonable to me.

30. You missed it! Oct 8, 2003, 15:24 Corky

Man those were some good screen shots. Too bad for all of you who went to bed early and didn't get to see em

29. Has the link died? Oct 8, 2003, 13:47 Da-Fly

Is it deed? All I can see are the same old ones, most recent being from september...

28. Re: New Background 4 Sure Oct 8, 2003, 13:12 Stinky_Toe

Again comparing D3 to HL2...
Hey, just this information should settle it for ya; There is no USE key in Doom3. It was deemed too complex for most players by John Carmack.
So where's your supposed higher level of Interactivity with the environment in D3 ? There won't be any. You just shoot shit. Oh, for the first time in a id game we get to reload our weapons woohoo!! Ouch my brain hurts that is so hard to learn this new skills. Thank god I don't have to "USE" stuff too to get around the environment. ;-)

27. Re: zombies and chainsaws Oct 8, 2003, 11:27 ReDeeMeR

I think the demons brought it from hell.

26. Re: zombies and chainsaws Oct 8, 2003, 09:49 Xenopulse

Actually, I guess the gas was on Mars, the chainsaw in the Mansion... oh well

25. Re: zombies and chainsaws Oct 8, 2003, 09:48 Xenopulse

>> Well, the zombie(s) could've grabbed some chainsaws they found on a closet, somewhere on that space station <<

But the chainsaw in the closet on the Mars space station doesn't have any gas in it!

24. Re: One question. Oct 8, 2003, 09:20 zamfear

Please tell us more about the game Paranoid, since you have already played it, let us know more details. Oh wait, you haven't played it? You mean your just shooting off at the mouth? Oh ok.

23. Re: nitpicking a little Oct 8, 2003, 08:26 pob

You know, there are probably many things they want to add to the game, but can't given the current state of the hardware most of us own. Different zombies at every corner, high res wall textures, more lightsources, more polygons...there are some things that we litterally just can't do, until we get everyone up a few generations in hardware. I'm guessing the engine is just fine with supporting more of the above, its just that the hardware most of us have cannot.

22. Re: nitpicking a little Oct 8, 2003, 08:21 Enahs

That chainsaw isn't held by the zombie, it's taped to his hand. You can see his hand above and under it, but it's not gripping the handle. This engine, according to Carmack, is supposed to last until 2008, so I guess it will be AFTER 2008 before we finally get an artist to finally realise HOW people hold something IRL.

Well, things look a lot different in motion then they do in a still screenshot, so it might look more like he is holding it then. Doom3 will also looking amazingly moreEST awsomeIZZLE in motion.

But I will say this.
A tiger, in Africa?
Err, wait!
I mean
A chainsaw, on mars?

They should change it to a Saws-All, Not only would it be realistic, but you could use it to cut things in the environment! Come on, someone at ID read this, and change the freakin model to a SawzAll! Please! And then add some stuff in the game you can cut!

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

21. zombies and chainsaws Oct 8, 2003, 08:01 DooM

Well, the zombie(s) could've grabbed some chainsaws they found on a closet, somewhere on that space station.

Now, the Revenant, with his shoulder mounted rockets, well thats something from the DOOM legacy, we just have to deal with it. Unless they find some "realistic" way to explain it.

20. nitpicking a little Oct 8, 2003, 07:23 Creston

but here's two things in those screenshots that are annoying.

1) That chainsaw isn't held by the zombie, it's taped to his hand. You can see his hand above and under it, but it's not gripping the handle. This engine, according to Carmack, is supposed to last until 2008, so I guess it will be AFTER 2008 before we finally get an artist to finally realise HOW people hold something IRL.

2) Those zombies are all the same. No variation in any one of them. I don't know if that's just these particular screens, or if it's a staple of the whole game, but once again, it's going to take until 2008 before we get a game where enemies actually have small variations in them? The idea that I'm continuously killing the same dude over and over again is getting a bit stale.

But other than minor nitpicks, it does look cool.

Creston

19. Rogue in WoW Oct 8, 2003, 02:48 Corky

Backstab!! Awesome Bliz. Haven't seen that skill since back in the days of Mudding.

~Corky

18. New Background 4 Sure Oct 8, 2003, 02:38 Corky

You can't compare this game to the previous Doom untill you've played it, people are buying new computers just to play this game! D3 is way more important to the gaming industry than Half Life 2. It's going to have the same level of realism regarding interaction with the environment, but it'll look 10 times better. Sure H.L.2 will have the same popularity as it's predocessor, but CS 2 is going to be the same as the current CS only more accessible through Steam and it will have better graphics.. however, Carmack projected that the D3 platform is gonna set the industry standard for the next 5 years. And the most important factor is gameplay and re-playability, that i'll have to wait to find out for myself. Woe is me.

~Corky

17. Re: One question. Oct 8, 2003, 02:20 Paranoid Jack

Raises the bar? Graphics wise... yeah. Any other raising of the bar? Doubt it. Like I said the same old game with a graphics face-lift for the new millennium.

16. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2003, 02:09 TimothyB

actually since you quite obviously have no sense for detail ill explain.
some of them depict scenes from the alpha yes, but if you have an eye for detail you will notice that ID has changed quite a few small details to the models/skins and some of the art/textures/fx.
the other half arn't from the beta, but similiar scenes have been seen before elsewhere. (indented/italic)

Actually, I should have been more clear when I said they are at least the first offical pics of showing scenes that were in the alpha, I didn't mean official screens from the specific leaked alpha, so obviously there might be some new things they've done to them in the current build these were taken from. I was just saying it wasn't anything we haven't seen before, at least most of us.

15. Re: One question. Oct 8, 2003, 02:04 Squirmer

The models are high quality, but the textures on the walls are low quality and fuzzy.

And the Doom 3 monsters are a joke. A zombie with a chainsaw on Mars? WTF is that? It's almost as bad as a skeleton with twin rocket launchers on its shoulders.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo