Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UFO: Aftermath Patch

A new patch is now available for the English version of UFO: Aftermath, updating the xenophobic strategy game to version 1.1a, addressing a few glitches with the release version of the game. The patch is a bit over 4 MB, available from CENEGA (at the bottom of the page), and mirrored on Boomtown, Computer Games Online, GameCenter.cz, Gamer's Hell, Happy Puppy (registration required), Pixelrage.ro, UFOAftermath.co.uk, and Worthplaying.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: D'oh! Oct 9, 2003, 00:39 Paranoid Jack

Their website has rates for shipping to the US. It's just that they must not have the US postal codes entered correctly or they may be different when mailing from that side of the pond... I can't remember, it's been 8 years since I lived there.

Either way it looks like I will have to wait. I don't feel like paying $50 to $70(US) to get this from some place other than Amazon. It's only another week or two until the US release anyway right?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: D'oh! Oct 8, 2003, 10:16 Slaughter

Chips & Bits don't have the game until it's out in the US I believe, and Amazon.co.uk don't deliver to the US I believe. Take a look at the pre-order list, there are a few UK stores that deliver to US: http://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/?c=aftermath&p=preorder

Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk, Slaughter)

28. D'oh! Oct 7, 2003, 20:21 Paranoid Jack

I went to check my order status and found out it's always best not to order things over the net while you are only partially awake.

My order status doesn't show and I think it's a pre-order or the long wait for the US release.

So I tried to order from Amazon in the UK and they don't believe my postal code is valid. Guess they don't have US zip codes entered properly into their data base.

I will attempted to contact them again after my class this evening. Thanks again, Slaughter.

27. Re: I have decided... Oct 7, 2003, 19:56 Slaughter

I did order UFO:A from Chips and Bits via your link, Slaughter.
That's my boy! It is Pete, the creator and owner of the site that gets the money. I only run the site. But he is paying for server space, so he sure needs it! The site have gone crazy since the release. There are A LOT of people online there all the time. Not that I'm complaining...
See you on your forums in a few days to let you know what I think...
Looking forwards to that! Hope you get what you want from the game.

26. Re: I have decided... Oct 7, 2003, 19:40 Paranoid Jack

Yeah, I realize UFO:A isn't exactly TB but it's close.

And I think (like Slaughter said) this new twist to TB will be a good thing. Like ToEE was only turn based when you make you moves but the enemies all move at once to speed things up. I hated PoR2 because you could sit there for a very long while waiting on enemies to do there thing. I remember one battle I left to get a cola and came back to find the enemy AI just finishing up it's turn.

I did order UFO:A from Chips and Bits via your link, Slaughter. Hope that gives your site a widget or whatever credit you get for a sales referal.

See you on your forums in a few days to let you know what I think... and probable to ask for tips/hints.

25. Re: I have decided... Oct 7, 2003, 12:55 Shadowcat

I really love turn based combat games
You are aware that Aftermath is not turn-based, right? It uses a pauseable real-time system (such that you can pause the action at any time to issue/queue orders).

24. UFO who-fo? Oct 7, 2003, 09:31 space captain

Silent Storm isnt even in the same league with this game.. SS will be a classic, this one is gonna hit the bargain bin in about 6 months. I might even buy it when it comes out - but lets not fool ourselves here... TBS superstar it aint.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

23. Re: I have decided... Oct 7, 2003, 08:35 Slaughter

They are exactly the same ones Paranoid, so don't you worry. There are several stores in our pre-order list that sends the game to the US by the way.

Oh, and the combat system of UFO:Aftermath is great! I have always hated RT, and loved TB (Fallouts, X-Coms and so on). But this "new" hybrid they have made is NEAT! Never thought I'd say this, but it's better than TB!

22. No subject Oct 7, 2003, 00:11 VoodooV

Sorry, I am jaded

uhm, if you're jaded, then outdated graphics shouldn't faze you one bit.

21. Re: I have decided... Oct 7, 2003, 00:04 Pete

Reason for picking it up? Well... I never played any of the original X-Com games. Just looked at a few recently and wouldn't play them because of the out dated look & feel. Sorry, I am jaded.

dont let the old graphics scare you away. they are by far, one of the best turn based games ever

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

Doin' it Big

20. I have decided... Oct 6, 2003, 23:50 Paranoid Jack

I am getting it as soon as I can get a copy here in California. I may just order it as an export. I hate waiting when I know it's already out someplace else.

Reason for picking it up? Well... I never played any of the original X-Com games. Just looked at a few recently and wouldn't play them because of the out dated look & feel. Sorry, I am jaded.

That being said I realize UFO:A is no ground breaker when it comes to graphics or game play. But I really love turn based combat games like Fallout Tactics and the recently released ToEE. So most likely I will find pleasure in killing some alien scum.

And seeing all those fairly high scores (thanks again, Slaughter) gives me some hope of finding this game very enjoyable. And from what I have read it seems to be good bet.

Besides HL2 is just a monolith on the horizon now.

Edit: Slaughter is ther any difference between the UK and US versions besides price and box art? I mean it is still the same english language version of the game right?
This comment was edited on Oct 6, 23:52.

19. Re: How was this game? Oct 6, 2003, 23:48 Zyrxil

The title of the review I'd submit to GameFaqs if I had 5 paragraphs to fill it with: "Pretty fun, very challenging, but extremely unrefined. X-Com 4 or Jagged Alliance 3 it ain't.

18. Re: Title Oct 6, 2003, 21:28 Lactose The Intolerant

XCom fans will probably be disappointed, but it doesn't seem bad so far. I'm not far in the game however, only have 4 bases right now.

17. Title Oct 6, 2003, 20:50 DedEye

With a title like "UFO:Aftermath" it invites comparison. I checked out the website a few times because I am interested in it. It states they drew inspiration from the XCom series, but that yes, it is a different game. The question that I have; is it a good game?

Demo please

16. This game is NEAT! Oct 6, 2003, 20:39 Slaughter

I think UFO:Aftermath is great! It took me quite a while to get into it, but now it's getting better with every passing hour. But since I run a fansite for UFO:Aftermath, I suspect it's not my review you want... So let me instead point you to our review section:
http://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/?c=Reviews&p=Reviews

As you can see, the reviews are mostly good.

But let me give you a fair warning. If you buy this game thinking that it is VERY close to X-Com, you may end up disappointed. I am having as much fun with this one as with the X-Com games, but it plays fairly different. So do yourself a favour and think of this game not as a sequel, but as a game in the same genre. And it takes a few hours to get into it.

As for a demo, I think you can expect one in a week or two, but I know nothing for sure...

15. Re: Where's the BLEEP'in Demo Oct 6, 2003, 19:38 DrEvil

if you thought halo was nothing special chances are you would absolutely hate aftermath. it's not even close to being a decent game.

14. Where's the BLEEP'in Demo Oct 6, 2003, 17:39 Paranoid Jack

I want to try before I buy and I don't warez. Has the demo been release to the net yet and if so where?

I bought Halo expecting nothing special and that is just what I got, nothing special. Not sure I want another game that is just... nothing special.

I love turn based and since Silent Storm is now showing a release date of next year I may buy this one to hold me over and give me my turn-based fix.

Somebody from Europe give us a good review from a gamers point of view, please. The more detailed the better. Or point me toward an honest review from a media-type website. Thanks.

13. Re: kinda sad Oct 6, 2003, 17:31 Panick

damnit...X-COM: Terror from the deep (10 year old game) is ALOT better then this.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this game.

12. Re: kinda sad Oct 6, 2003, 16:57 MrShoop

and you can actually go into buildings in silent storm ;]

11. Re: not too excited Oct 6, 2003, 16:12 Marksman

Yeah I remember being in middle skool when I first played that game. Turnbased games were soo much more challenging than what we have today. I used to remember really really hardgames when I was a kid. Homeworld II is the only game I think is worth everypenny It was hard and you were now limited with xxx amounts of units so macroing was they they key to winning instead of a bazzillion little spacecrafts

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo