Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Half-Life 2 Source

Game Biz Mystified by Code Theft (thanks Mike Martinez) and Half-Life 2 code leaked online (thanks Thor) have a mainstream reports on the Half-Life 2 code situation. Meanwhile, Shacknews has more on the situation from Valve's Gabe Newell:

1) We've taken our network connection down to pretty much a minimum. We're still finding machines internally that have been compromised.

2) The suite of tools that the attacker was using included the modified version of RemotelyAnywhere (basically a Remote Desktop-style remote admin tool), Haxker Defender (a process, registry key and file hiding tool), the key logger, and various networking utilities that allowed them to transfer files (compressors, NetCat, and FTP). We also are pretty sure they were sniffing our network to gather passwords and other information. Haxker Defender includes a file system driver that allows an attacker to have stuff on your machine that is invisible, unless you do something like mount the drive under another OS that has NTFS support.

We have determined one way of detecting some infected machines, which is using a connection viewer to detect connections to anomalous hosts external to our network.

We still don't know their entry method.

3) In general, the community has been remarkably swift at tracking down the sources of the leak. What would be most helpful now are IP addresses of the people who were responsible for the intrusion or for the denial of service attacks.

4) Also, please continue to send in URLs of websites hosting the source code. We've been contacting people and asking them to take it down.

5) There's anecdotal evidence that other game developers have been targeted by whoever attacked us. This hasn't been confirmed. We've been providing other game developers with more detailed information about the exploits and evidence of infiltration.

6) We're running a little bit blind with our network shut down, but it seems like some of the press has picked up the story. I've been fielding calls from the mainstream non-games, non-technical press.all day. Hopefully they will get to report shortly what a mistake it is to piss off a whole bunch of gamers and get them hunting you around the Internet.

For any information related to this, please send it to helpvalve@valvesoftware.com, or you can always send to gaben@valvesoftware.com as well.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

40. Re: Internet explorer, Outlook Oct 4, 2003, 19:32 Hump

At least in Doom3, you'll only have the possibility of running into a max of 3 cheaters per game

now THATS an optimist

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: It just keeps getting worse Oct 4, 2003, 19:31 dudeOne

with a steam only release of HL2, this may come in handy for some of us...

anyway,
many games leaked, even Doom3 and Jedi Academy and no one cares about it.

38. Re: No subject Oct 4, 2003, 19:29 weeds

Valve,
Don't rush it.
Fix what this theft will fuckup and release it then.
If it takes 6 months so be it.

37. Re: Internet explorer, Outlook Oct 4, 2003, 19:18 Undead Scottsman

At least in Doom3, you'll only have the possibility of running into a max of 3 cheaters per game

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 19:27.

36. It just keeps getting worse Oct 4, 2003, 19:17 Hump

http://www.hl2world.com/

read the first news blurb.

PAH!

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

35. Re: Internet explorer, Outlook Oct 4, 2003, 19:12 Marksman

You're right that it has no value to the average user. But to some new startup company that needs an idea. This source code is a the grace they have been looking for.

Watchout Idsoftware, seperate your Doom III machine from the internet! Lastthing I want is cheaters ruining my experience of Doom III!

34. guess who? Oct 4, 2003, 19:03 dudeOne

hmm,...must have been one pissed off steam user..

33. Internet explorer, Outlook Oct 4, 2003, 18:56 BicycleRepairMan

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1307532,00.asp

I use WinXP myself, , mainly because win32 is the most used system , en therefore the most useful. lets face it with mac or linux, you just dont have anything near the specter of software and games compatible with your system.

However, this has disadvantages, since hacks and viruses always target windows and its users.

I imagine Valve think this way too, atleast I think they should.. In addition, they should be more paranoid about attack then me, since I dont have anything of real value(ATLEAST not for a targeted attack..) Valve on the other hand , has these values.

What I just cant understand, is how they are so smart and talented in making games , but still DUMB enough to use time-bombs like IE and Outlook..on computers with or connected to stuff like the damn source code.. (!!)

I use a Mozilla Firebird/Thunderbird combo instead of IE/Outlook. I bet these have security holes too, hell i bet linux/unix even has these holes, the difference is that people dont actually look for them, so they are rarely known to the public.

Anyway I cant see how they justify the cable between the development computer and the internet.

I guess its easy being a smart-ass about this now, but its not excactly like viruses and attacks are strangers to us anymore.

Lastly, Valve is not to blame here, only the ASSHOLE(S) that did this.

And remember kids: DONT DOWNLOAD this, DONT KEEP it (not even to yourselves) DL'ing WILL FEED THE TORRENTS. THIS INCREASES THE DEMAND, and gets more download locations opened If you already have it, DELETE THESE FILES ASAP. and remember to tell helpvalve@valvesoftware.com , where you got it.

Even if you want to backstab our great friends at valve by Downloading this, this source code is useless to you anyway. it has NO VALUE TO 99.99% of us.

My 2 cents

BicycleRepairMan

32. Re: Here comes another Oct 4, 2003, 18:56 m00t

Well, if the hacking occurred across state lines, then yes, it's federal. The FBI generally gets involved in computer crimes of this nature as a matter of course either in a supervisory role or actively investigating.

31. Re: How much delay Oct 4, 2003, 18:51 Monty

Why Jail them and waste tax payers money? I would just HACK off their hands.

30. Re: How much delay Oct 4, 2003, 18:38 nin

Hey. How about dropping further development of Steam? That has got to free up some developers to rework the HL2 code.

Hell, we'd never be so lucky.

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. Re: How much delay Oct 4, 2003, 18:29 =TFM=Melvin

With their problems with Steam and now this, I hope they will still make the Holidays (of 2003). They've put so many man-years of work into HL2, I hope they recover. I guess they will have to spend extra time to update their HL2 code to protect from the jerks who will certainly try their best to make cheats from the compromised code.

Hey. How about dropping further development of Steam? That has got to free up some developers to rework the HL2 code.

28. Re: Here comes another Oct 4, 2003, 18:28 nin

financial damage could conceivably run into the millions so I think the feds would be the guys to call to help out..

Definitely. They've spent millions working on it, and millions are at stake in licensing the source engine, plus they can say they lost X amount of time tracking all this down (and/or X amount in lost $ in licensing the source engine).

It's called Industrial Espionage...

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: How much delay Oct 4, 2003, 18:25 quazz

How much delay in HL2's release date is this going to cause?
That's what I'd like to know.
It'll be out for this Christmas. They won't let the hollyday season pass. Too much money.

26. How much delay Oct 4, 2003, 18:22 World war 3

How much delay in HL2's release date is this going to cause?
That's what I'd like to know.

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated December 25th

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

25. Re: Here comes another Oct 4, 2003, 18:19 DrGroove

>>Think before you yap, smartass, and try to read some >>
>>emphasis in a sentence.
>>I'm wondering why Valve is ASKING people to take it down >>as opposed to shoving lawyers down their throat and >>DEMANDING they take it down. Get it now, or do I need to >>draw you a picture with bright colors, so you can >>understand it?

Excuse me? i do believe you are the one who dosn't understand. I quote "Why should Valve have to ask them to take it down?" this implies that the person who posted it in the first place has enough moral sense and itellegence to not have posted it. Unfortuatly not many people involved in illegal ativity are privleged enough.
And second, i never said anything about valve demanding webmasters to take down the source, or even implied it, all i said was that many sites post illegal content without consequence. This is not debatable. Please do not not but words into my mouth.

24. Re: Here comes another Oct 4, 2003, 18:14 Hump

The feds? I wouldn't think this is either a Federal crime, or would rate highly enough to warrant FBI involvement?

financial damage could conceivably run into the millions so I think the feds would be the guys to call to help out..

PAH!

- Jim Goad

23. I'm not so certain... Oct 4, 2003, 18:13 Nexus

... that they're really destroying any evidence.

You can do a backup of a drive on a byte by byte basis. Do that for every single machine in the offices and blam, you've got everything.

I assume they're attempting to get themselves up and running to try and deal with the result of this as soon as possible, and it's not a task I envy them in.

22. Re: Here comes another Oct 4, 2003, 18:12 Creston

Yes of course it is. However many many sites still post illegal material without consequence. Just look up warez on a search engine. Jesus man where the fuck have you been?

Think before you yap, smartass, and try to read some emphasis in a sentence.
I'm wondering why Valve is ASKING people to take it down as opposed to shoving lawyers down their throat and DEMANDING they take it down. Get it now, or do I need to draw you a picture with bright colors, so you can understand it?

Creston

21. Re: Here comes another Oct 4, 2003, 18:08 Creston

and set them aside for the feds to scour over

The feds? I wouldn't think this is either a Federal crime, or would rate highly enough to warrant FBI involvement?

Re : Destruction of evidence, this is possible, I don't know what the laws are regarding machines that are infected and would still pose a security risk.
It just surprises me that they still have infected machine AND still have their network up and running, even at minimal level. Maybe they hope the hacker will be dumb enough to try again, this time when they are actually watching.

Creston

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo