Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Half-Life 2 Source

Game Biz Mystified by Code Theft (thanks Mike Martinez) and Half-Life 2 code leaked online (thanks Thor) have a mainstream reports on the Half-Life 2 code situation. Meanwhile, Shacknews has more on the situation from Valve's Gabe Newell:

1) We've taken our network connection down to pretty much a minimum. We're still finding machines internally that have been compromised.

2) The suite of tools that the attacker was using included the modified version of RemotelyAnywhere (basically a Remote Desktop-style remote admin tool), Haxker Defender (a process, registry key and file hiding tool), the key logger, and various networking utilities that allowed them to transfer files (compressors, NetCat, and FTP). We also are pretty sure they were sniffing our network to gather passwords and other information. Haxker Defender includes a file system driver that allows an attacker to have stuff on your machine that is invisible, unless you do something like mount the drive under another OS that has NTFS support.

We have determined one way of detecting some infected machines, which is using a connection viewer to detect connections to anomalous hosts external to our network.

We still don't know their entry method.

3) In general, the community has been remarkably swift at tracking down the sources of the leak. What would be most helpful now are IP addresses of the people who were responsible for the intrusion or for the denial of service attacks.

4) Also, please continue to send in URLs of websites hosting the source code. We've been contacting people and asking them to take it down.

5) There's anecdotal evidence that other game developers have been targeted by whoever attacked us. This hasn't been confirmed. We've been providing other game developers with more detailed information about the exploits and evidence of infiltration.

6) We're running a little bit blind with our network shut down, but it seems like some of the press has picked up the story. I've been fielding calls from the mainstream non-games, non-technical press.all day. Hopefully they will get to report shortly what a mistake it is to piss off a whole bunch of gamers and get them hunting you around the Internet.

For any information related to this, please send it to helpvalve@valvesoftware.com, or you can always send to gaben@valvesoftware.com as well.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

140. Re: to 118 Oct 11, 2003, 17:39 anubis2442

the way it going hl2 might not come till 05

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

139. Re: to 118 Oct 11, 2003, 17:38 anubis2442

138. Feel it.. Oct 7, 2003, 23:27 Deliverance

Plainly Half-life 2 is going to be a great game, but that doesn't mean that it will have the same "Feel" as Half-Life 1, which is why it is so popular with people. I don't care if Half-Life 2 is graphically beautiful, it needs to be playable in all the right ways to be as good as Half-Life.

I've seen the demo's and unless something goes terribly wrong it's going to feel good. So don't worry.

At any rate, don't discount 4 man DM. If it is done right, it is very fun.

Agreed, these guys have never played small dm games or tried 1 vs 1. It's very unfortunate that new gamers may never experience these things. Depending on the way they balance it 4 players could easily be tonnes of fun. Kudos to Carmack for trying something diffrent, even if it is something old.

137. Feel it.. Oct 7, 2003, 23:27 Deliverance

Plainly Half-life 2 is going to be a great game, but that doesn't mean that it will have the same "Feel" as Half-Life 1, which is why it is so popular with people. I don't care if Half-Life 2 is graphically beautiful, it needs to be playable in all the right ways to be as good as Half-Life.

I've seen the demo's and unless something goes terribly wrong it's going to feel good. So don't worry.

Agreed, these guys have never played small dm games or tried 1 vs 1. It's very unfortunate that new gamers may never experience these things. Depending on the way they balance it 4 players could easily be tonnes of fun. Kudos to Carmack for trying something diffrent, even if it is something old.

136. nm Oct 7, 2003, 23:03 Snag

nm
This comment was edited on Oct 7, 23:04.

135. Re: Valve is a little STEAMED Oct 7, 2003, 15:43 islander

'Guano' dropped this tird...
"I hope HL2 is every bit as Haxed as HL. IDIOTs cant even keep there Development safe. Gabe keeps source code on his Machine connected to the Net, MorON. Get a DMZ zone and make it Isolated... "
Getting a DMZ zone is the opposite of making yourself isolated, it is putting yourself directly onto the internet.
Am I the only person who finds it funny that people like this feel perfectly comfortable calling the lead developer of Half-Life a moron?

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 15:44.

134. Re: Deliverance Oct 7, 2003, 08:43 Nexus

Here we go with the old "If I can't see a victim, there is no crime".

Open Source is about willingly and legally making your sourcecode available to other people, generally for non-profit use or to allow improvements to be submitted.
This isn't willing, and it isn't legal, and the people responsible for it deserve to get the punishment that the law procsribes for the crime. If everyone decides to start giving their ideas out to the world, all well and good, but there's absolutely no moral justification for enforcing that by illegally taking their choices away in the matter.

I would hope that a large proportion of the community would find your linking the principles of open source to theft an abhorrent idea.

133. Re: Valve is a little STEAMED Oct 7, 2003, 06:00 vajbern

Gabe: err, John have you been hacked?
Carmack: Maybe.
Gabe: oh cool, they got our HL2 source, what they get off you?
Carmack: oh, our router IP (WAN).
Gabe: bugr

LMFAO!!!! Nicely put.

132. No subject Oct 7, 2003, 05:15 Bob

Game source code stolen in hacking

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5087698.html

131. Re: Hope they catch the bastards... Oct 7, 2003, 04:05 Bob

Long-awaited game's code leaked, may delay debut

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001760253_halflife07.html

130. Re: Hope they catch the bastards... Oct 6, 2003, 23:01 Deliverance

It will help spread the word to these malicious assholes. Theft is theft no matter what method. And theft of something this valuable should be a huge amount of jail time.

Much of computer crime is undertaken in the spirit of Robin Hood. Trying to give information out for free. It is not theft in that people do not nescessarily lose what other's gain.
Any reasonable government will allow as much distribution of intellectual property as possible. The only reason they are stepping in now is because they are concerned about the development of new IP. Your opinion of what will happen to IP, if the equivelent of OpenSource sweeps all area's of society, is the subject of the debate. You clearly think no one will ever create another decent idea.

129. Arrr Oct 6, 2003, 16:50 Nexus

Lack of coffee ==> bad english.

Back on track... it would be somewhat interesting as an academic exercise to try and design a solution using something like neural networks or some statistical methods. It would also probably be possible for any suspect machines to have the screen grabbed, compressed and streamed out for human inspection.

Like I said though (in a completely unintelligable way), I'm hypothesising about what a fairly tallented development studio could have produced in the time that Valve have had to work on steam, and that could easily cover far more than simply checking if the drivers are standard ones, or being limited to what was discussed previously.

128. Re: Hardware cheats etc Oct 6, 2003, 16:15 Von Helmet

Man, that last paragraph made no sense!

Anywho... There were problems with this kind of thing before. I think it was some AOpen or ABit drivers that allowed you to set everything to wireframe i.e. it was a very simple wallhack. I seem to recall they barred everyone who was using those drivers.

I don't know if you could get away barring everyone using remotely tweaked drivers on the basis that they're unknown, and I think the rendering ideas might be a bit difficult.

127. Hardware cheats etc Oct 6, 2003, 16:07 Nexus

Just out of curiosity, what's preventing Valve from incoporating checks into Steam that check your drivers, or from perhaps allowing steam to borrow the OpenGL or D3D renderer and perform some offscreen rendering which they can check against known results (it doesn't take much to have a dedicated render machine or 30 that can send out custom [and very difficult impossible to predict, even with the source] rendering requests)?
You might not be assuming, since it's entirely possible you've gone through the steam source that was in the leak in detail, but I would suspect that assuming that the checking that could be done by steam would be crude would be a mistake.

126. Re: Valve is a little STEAMED Oct 6, 2003, 05:43 Armengar

It is interesting to see peoples opinions of the theft of the code. MOst are jumping on the hang-em-high bandwagon. It is probably abunch of kiddies who wanted to see if they could steal teh source (and probably the game for themselves) for bragging rights on the net.

whilest I am not condoning the action, I feel that this is the work of joyriders rather than hardened crack sellers. Correct me if I am worn but I would rather give a drunk driver who mows down a bunch of kids a harder sentence than kids who steal source code.

Valve have only themselves to blame for the loss, yeah some people comitted a crime but for heavens sake then had no security whatsoever by the look of an entire network being compromised. You dont leave your house unlocked whilst telling everyone about your really cool car - its doesnt take a genius to push the door.

Life terms for hacking? Please. Maybe if they hacked the nukes, but surely it is a judge who should decide not the politicians. Both UK and US are going to the dogs for simply holding changing policy to suit the massess rather than to suit the crimes.

I especially liked this one:
"There's anecdotal evidence that other game developers have been targeted by whoever attacked us. This hasn't been confirmed"

Gabe: err, John have you been hacked?
Carmack: Maybe.
Gabe: oh cool, they got our HL2 source, what they get off you?
Carmack: oh, our router IP (WAN).
Gabe: bugr

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

125. Valve is a little STEAMED Oct 6, 2003, 04:44 Guano

Im not much for haxerz but it serves them right after STEAM. Most games can deliver content and security in the GAME.. Why this STEAM, and why do it to CS this late in the game? YOU can MAKE MONEY without acting like AOL OR MICROSCUM and shoving what you deam best for your wallets and our systrays. I hope HL2 is every bit as Haxed as HL. IDIOTs cant even keep there Development safe. Gabe keeps source code on his Machine connected to the Net, MorON. Get a DMZ zone and make it Isolated...

124. Re: Corky Oct 6, 2003, 04:33 Zephalephelah

"there is immediately gonna be cheats out the ass that compromise the balance of the game"

I don't know if I buy this fear of cheating. For one thing, the most popular cheats were hardware based OpenGL hacks. For another thing, the cheaters are generally lonely 13yr old bitch ass punks who don't care whether its right or wrong to cheat and the worst of all cheating happens on weekends & during the summer when those little homos can stay up past their usual bedtime. The rest of us, the "WE" are generally older & smarter & better in almost every way. We went through the Counter-Strike cheating thing, the Diablo cheating thing, the StarCraft cheating thing. When it got really bad, those companies made patches.

But Valve has steam. They don't have to wait 2 months to make a patch of a whole bunch of things at once so people don't get pissed at them for making them download every 2 seconds. Steam doesn't care if there is a patch a night, & neither will we.

The source code theft is mainly bad because it hurt Valve & it might hurt them enough to prevent Half-Life 3. They probably feel betrayed & may have a desire to throw in the towel because of this. BUt for the gamers, I don't think it is all that bad. I'm pretty sure that we'll see underground games made with the code & while most of them will suck, maybe a couple won't, and while developers usually horde their work for greed & profit, this one is out there & it can't be undone. Why should Raven buy the engine if they can download it? Sure, they still will for legal reasons, but the price just dropped tremendously. I think that this can be a good thing & I find the cheating fears to be unfounded.

123. Re: 121 Oct 6, 2003, 04:23 Zephalephelah

Yes schraube, but you're forgetting something here. That count you just made doesn't mention Medal of Honor, which is based on Quake3, nor does it mention Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which is based on Quake3, nor does it mention Urban Terror, which is based on Quake3. But your Half-Life number includes Counter-Strike, which is the bulk of it & all the other mods under the banner of Half-Life.

Also, Doom2 featured 4 man DM & it rocked. I remember playing it every single night. And back then, you paid by the minute to play it. I used to spend $50 a month playing that game & I loved it. We held LAN parties based on Doom2, where we'd have 4 games going on at once, this back in the day of Coax Cable networking.

Plainly Half-life 2 is going to be a great game, but that doesn't mean that it will have the same "Feel" as Half-Life 1, which is why it is so popular with people. It Feels right. Urban Terror feels like you are running through a foot & a half of water. I don't care if Half-Life 2 is graphically beautiful, it needs to be playable in all the right ways to be as good as Half-Life 1.

122. Re: 121 Oct 6, 2003, 02:38 schraube

"Quake 4 is gonna blow the shit out of Half Life 2"
you got to be fuckin kiddin right?have you watched any of the game movies for doom3 or h2?Q4 IS built on an engine that has'nt even released a game yet.lets hope it can do more than doom3's 4 man dm.and for the record from gamespy hl players=30380 quake3 players=2373 eat it bitch.

121. No subject Oct 6, 2003, 01:44 Corky

The question we need to ask ourselves here is: "Is this good for gamers". Who cares about Valve! Quake 4 is gonna blow the shit out of Half Life 2 long before Valve comes up with another title after this one (including the expansion pack). Back to my question.. Hackers stole the program and now it's whoring itself around cyberspace like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Now when WE (by WE I mean Joe Schmoe who plays by the rules) buy the game there is immediately gonna be cheats out the ass that compromise the balance of the game (to say the least). So the new "game" won't be the one Valve spent 5 years perfecting, it will be some P.O.S. hacked up Diablo 1 sh*t.

In conclusion, we're all on the right track when we say screw the people who did this, screw them in their tight little asses.

~Corky

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 01:47.

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo