Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bard's Tale Revisited

This press release announces the formation of inXile entertainment, marking the return of Brian Fargo to gaming, as he plans to revive his classic Bard's Tale RPG franchise. There is a preview of the new project on GameSpy, and here's a bit from the press release:

Brian Fargo, considered one of the early architects of the multi-billion dollar interactive entertainment industry, has returned to the world of gaming with a new company dedicated to bringing quality video games to the market. inXile entertainment's first title is based on one of the most highly successful original computer role-playing games (RPG) and number one hit, The Bard's Tale. inXile will satisfy the original game's cult-like fans, who have generated a decade of frenzied rumors and web petitions, by creating a modern interpretation of the classic genre for next generation console gaming platforms and the PC. The name of the title will be The Bard's Tale worldwide (the final name is undetermined for the United States, pending trademark proceedings).

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: PS2?? Oct 1, 2003, 20:11 Kxmode

RPGs belong to the PCs

Actually, RPGs belong on pen and paper, but that's a different topic altogether.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Sweeet! Oct 1, 2003, 11:11 -=StackSmasher=-

I played this game on my Commodore 64! I loved it.

Yep, I remember playing II and III on my C-64 and also loved playing. I'm so glad to hear this news.

--Registered Linux User #227032
--Get Counted!: http://counter.li.org

--
Registered Linux User #227032
Get Counted!: http://counter.li.org

19. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2003, 10:27 Creston

Forgot all the nifty super-high-poly 3072 x 3072 graphics and Dolby Digital/THX certified audio! Just give us a great story.

Can we have both? Pleeeeeeease?

Funny how some of us talked about the Bard's Tale a week or so ago, and boom, here's a sequel.

What do we really want to see sequels too, guys? Let's talk about it, see if it comes true!

As for a new Bard's Tale, shrug, going up against the likes of Baldur's Gate, Fallout series, and (for some) Temple of Elemental Evil etc. is going to be a pretty hard battle. Something tells me that the obliquitous

You see 24388 sewer rats. They attack!
Your Turn? > A
You attack the sewer rat for 11 damage. Sewer Rat dies.
You see 24387 sewer rats. They attack and hit you for 1142 damage!
Your Turn? > H
You cast heal for 700 hitpoints.

gameplay isn't going to cut it anymore, really.

Btw, Scara Brae, never thought about that, but I wonder who stole from whom? Richard Garriot, Ultima, Skara Brae or Brian Fargo, Bard's Tale, Scara Brae...

Creston

18. Current Bard's Tale Remake Oct 1, 2003, 10:19 Hooley

If you loved Bard's Tale then you have to check out Devil Whiskey. The project was original called The Bard's Legacy, but they changed the name from fear of legal issues.

A demo is already available and the full game will be released 10/30 (you will be able to transfer demo characters to full version). It plays almost exactly like Bard's Tale using more current technology for graphics of course.

http://www.devilwhiskey.com/main.html

17. Re: Awesome game Oct 1, 2003, 09:30 MyRealName

We used to do the same with 4 groups of 99 Axemen. But it was forced on us! There was the riddle "they are not manly men" we were.. um.. stuck on. Yes, the answer is obvious. But we tried "woman" instead of "women." We were stuck for weeks, trying every convoluted other solution we could come up with. Finally peeked at a hint book at the store. Stupid kids, I guess. Anyway that's a CRPG memory that I will never forget. I'm not sure what level we were after all those thousands of axemen, but I remember the monk punching for more than 2000 damage each hit.

16. No subject Oct 1, 2003, 09:12 zamfear

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

15. Just thought I'd stir things up a bit... Oct 1, 2003, 04:28 Keno the Rat

http://www.geocities.com/thebardstale/about.html

I actually played a Commodore 64 cartridge game that Cranford programmed. It was very much like Bards Tale (and predated it). I can't recall what the title was and I didn't own it...I had borrowed it from a friend. Anyway, the webpage just gives a little credit where credit is due.

14. n00bish Oct 1, 2003, 03:35 Da Stylin' Rastan

RPGs belong to the PCs

<asshole>
OMG U LOZER FF GAMEZ BEAT ANY PC RPG EVAR! OGRE BATTLE OWNZ J00! U WILL BE PWNED BY XENOGEARS!
</asshole>

-DSR <--couldn't resist

13. Bards Tale Oct 1, 2003, 03:33 Da Stylin' Rastan

Yay!!!! Thief of Fate was the best Bard's tale game. This is one nostalgia filled day. I picked up a game cube now that they finally hit the $99 price point ($99 for a console, insaaane!) and GameFly'd Zelda and Metroid Prime. I popped in the zelda disc and was nearly brought to tears by the whimsical feeling and opening theme song that rushed childhood memories to my brain.

-DSR <--good times

12. PS2?? Oct 1, 2003, 03:13 Flo

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/september03/bardstalemulti
Don't know if anyone noticed this, it's linked on the inXile Homepage. I was a bit shocked about the following line: "The game, which is using an improved version of the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance engine , is being developed primarily for the PS2, although a PC version is also in the works." An RPG primarily for the PS2?? What the heck are they thinking, RPGs belong to the PCs

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

11. No subject Oct 1, 2003, 02:43 Kxmode

Maybe he'll concentrate on the most important aspect of really great RPGs... story. Forgot all the nifty super-high-poly 3072 x 3072 graphics and Dolby Digital/THX certified audio! Just give us a great story.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 02:45.

10. Re: Awesome game Oct 1, 2003, 02:23 Beelzebud

Here is the real story:

Brian Fargo just acquired the rights for Wasteland!!!

RPG old schoolers rejoice!!!

9. Re: Awesome game Oct 1, 2003, 00:43 ARBOI

It's not so much the game that we want to see again - trust me, I've tried playing it recently on a 64 emulator, and it's just not the same experience somehow. No, what I look back on is the fact that it was simply one of the greats of its time, and it makes me wish more games were released today with the same amount of care and dedication to gameplay. As to whether or not this new game will answer the call, well, who knows.

Oh yeah, and that Mangar's Horde rocked. I remember making Horde runs over and over - teleporting straight in and back out again to heal up. Ah, good times.

8. Re: Awesome game Oct 1, 2003, 00:22 Squirmer

It surprises me that people seem to want a clone of an old game. Times change, people. It ain't 1985 anymore, and I don't understand why people want 20-year-old gameplay. Move on.

7. Re: Awesome game Oct 1, 2003, 00:15 Mad Max RW

Yay! Another franchise RPG related in name only!

6. Re: Awesome game Sep 30, 2003, 22:47 Raven

Who owns the rights for The Bard's Tale anyway? It will probably cost a pretty penny for Fargo to get the rights to use the name.

5. Awesome game Sep 30, 2003, 22:01 TickleMyElmo

The sequels were ok, but the original Bard's Tale was a fantastic game. I can probably still find my way around Scara Brae from memory.

I remember repeatedly sending my party in to fight Mangar's Horde. (4 groups of 99 berserkers!) A couple casts of the mage group attack spells added up to loads of experience. I can still recall a few of the four-letter spell commands; arfi = arc fire, scsi = scry sight, rest = restoration...

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 22:02.

4. Re: Sweeet! Sep 30, 2003, 18:29 nin

So where's Fargo been?

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.hybridsoundsystem.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Bard's Tale - the console action game? Sep 30, 2003, 18:28 Mecandes

Umm, I'm sorry, but I loved The Bard's Tale -- and I'm having a hard time picturing it reincarnated as a top-down console-style single-player action game. It's pretty clear that the naming of the game is simply a "publicity stunt" to draw attention to Brian Fargo's new game company... besides the name, I see nothing at all in common with the original series.

2. Re: Sweeet! Sep 30, 2003, 17:52 Tony!!!

I played this game on my Commodore 64! I loved it.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo