Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We were going through some of my mom's stuff yesterday and came across a bit of family history that had been set down on paper. Thankful that at least some of this information was preserved, I volunteered to take this and organize what I could of a family tree. In looking through the papers and books below this first bit of lineage we quickly found that this was just the tip of the iceberg, as the entire pile was more and more (and more!) of this. I am not regretting having volunteered for this, but I am a bit overwhelmed by what must be 30 pounds of books and papers detailing this stuff (I'm also grateful this has all been preserved, but am also hopefully at least a little of it is redundant). Any recommendations anyone can make for the right software to use to organize this stuff, or any other family tree creation advice that anyone has would be more than welcome at this point.

Links of the Day: The Bongo Project.
Stories of the Day: Computer crashing, Ukraine-style. Thanks Ant.
Confessions of a Spam King (registration required).
The Level of Discourse Continues to Slide (registration required).
Image of the Day: Happy Crabs. Thanks Ant.
Media of the Day: Milk And Cereal. Thanks oneoneeleven.
Follow-ups: Europe's first moon mission blasts off.
Judge who blocked do-not-call registry is on list.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Family documents Sep 29, 2003, 09:39 Jim

Blue, I can't recommend any software you can use, but I would suggest getting one of those fireproof file safes for storing the original documents. Once you organize the stuff, don't get rid of any of the original documents.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Genealogy Software Sep 29, 2003, 09:13 Ed

Another decent source is http://www.ellisisland.org which has put lots of immigration records online.

I used to be a programmer for Family Tree Maker back when the company was Banner Blue. It is easy to use, which most people liked. I thought they priced it pretty high, though.

Definitely make sure the genealogy application supports the standard gedcom (or the LDS's paf) file format so you can switch to another application that you like.

35. Detonator... Sep 29, 2003, 06:48 DooM

For those looking for a way to clean all nvidia references from your comp:

Driver Cleaner 2
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Works on Win2k and the inferior XP :p

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 06:49.

34. No subject Sep 29, 2003, 01:01 VoodooV

someone needs to publish that judge's phone number, so we can all personally tell him how we feel about what he's done.

33. Family Tree Sep 28, 2003, 23:39  Hellchick 

I've been using Family Tree Maker for years, and I LOVE it. Also, I recommend both ancestry.com and genealogy.com for the best places to start when it comes to researching your family history. I've been doing that on my family since I was about 12 and with the help of other researchers I've been able to contact through those sites, I've traced my family history back 13 generations and it's still going.

Stephen, if you've got any questions about genealogy and researching, give me a shout.

32. RE: Which card? Sep 28, 2003, 21:42 c r i s p y

Everyone: Thanks for the input so far. For the record, it's a GeForce 3 Ti200 that I'm looking at replacing.

Now that I've done some research, it looks to me like a 9500 pro is a better choice than the 9600 pro, due tothe increased number of rendering pipelines, and (it would seem to me) a higher possibility of a performance gain thru overclocking. Agree? Disagree?

I'm not too concerned with a reinstall, I do it on a fairly regualr basis anyway.

Oh, and as for availability, I have a couple sources for a 9500 Pro, should I decide on that, so that's not a concern.

---
Chris.

31. Re: Which card? Sep 28, 2003, 21:23 Bunko

I wanna get a 9800 NP but NOBODY has them anymore on the web. Know where I can get one? Or have these things gone the way of the 9500 Pro?

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

30. Re: Genealogy Software Sep 28, 2003, 20:55 Coolone

Another vote here for Personal Ancestry File, my mom uses it to sort out our geneology and it works wonderfully for her

29. Computer crashing, Ukraine-style Sep 28, 2003, 19:03 MeatForce

Speaking of geneaology, I have some family in Ukraine... Was gratifying to learn that the frequent urges I have to loft my computer out my highest window are probably just genetic. Or at the very worst, cultural.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

28. Re: Odd Sep 28, 2003, 19:00 Ihya

It's so weird when you consider that your being here is predicated on the fact that hundreds of thousands of your ancestors shagging down throughout hundreds of thousands of years ends up with yourself as the result. It's pretty mind boggling when you think about it.

Think about all the people that are your (my) ancestors. Only literate for the last few generations and of the kind of person you'd want to know. Before that, a good helping of
whores, murderers, thugs, bandits, mercenaries, thieves, barbarian invaders after a good raping and pillaging and such like thrown into the genetic mix alongside the farmers/smithies/tanners!

They did a programme in the UK called blood of the vikings and they could actually spot regions where viking DNA remained from areas they had conquered and inhabited. Of course, as people move around more now those regions are blurring but it is fascinating that these trends can be seen. It would be fascinating to disentangle your own DNA and find out where most of you comes from.

--------------------

A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.

Steven Wright
This comment was edited on Sep 28, 19:02.

27. Genealogy Software Sep 28, 2003, 18:40 Mike

I'd also have to recommend Family Tree Maker. It's great place to compile all the loose data from obits, birth certificates and such, into one place. It is compatible with gedcoms and it gives you a lot of choices for printing out family history information.
Ancestry.com is a pretty good sight for doing any additional research. Membership is required. This and a few of the other genealogy sights are run by the LDS.

26. Re: Which card? Sep 28, 2003, 17:26 Ant

I actually used Detonator Destroyer, but it didn't support XP.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
This comment was edited on Sep 29, 13:37.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Which card? Sep 28, 2003, 17:25 Bucky

I upgraded from a GeForce3 to a 9800 Pro, and had a hell of a time getting it to work thanks to the NVidia drivers leaving a ton of stuff even after the uninsall. I'd load a game and get a blank screen, or a few random polygons. Fortunately there's handy little program out there called Detonator R.I.P. that removes all the extra crap after the uninstall. I believe you need to have .Net installed to use it, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Spelling
This comment was edited on Sep 28, 20:02.

24. Family Tree Maker Sep 28, 2003, 17:08 ControlledBurn

Easily the best software out there for your family tree making. There's also some great message boards out there for research.

My mother got into the genealogical research 7 or 8 years ago, and she's been using Family Tree Maker ever since.

23. Ahh windows! Sep 28, 2003, 16:46 Enahs

Ahhh!
All the windows are open, the A/C are off.

So nice, so pleasant!
Thank the good lord for fall!(early fall anyway)

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

22. Odd Sep 28, 2003, 16:43 Halsy

It's so weird when you consider that your being here is predicated on the fact that hundreds of thousands of your ancestors shagging down throughout hundreds of thousands of years ends up with yourself as the result. It's pretty mind boggling when you think about it.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 16:44.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

21. Re: Which card? Sep 28, 2003, 16:42 gildemere

Crispy,

whatever you do, DONT pick up a Radeon 9800 SE. The highlight is on "SE". Unlike the 9800 non-pro and 9800 pro, which both run with 8 active pipelines, the SE does run with only 4 pipelines. The drop in performance is brutal. I repeat, do not buy this card, you won't get your money's worth. I made the mistake of buying this card, before I realized my error (and the lacking performance) and returned it.

The 9800 non-pro seems like the best card to get right now. Still a bit pricey but great performance and features (Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering - you can activate those even for current games and still have a smooth framerate). The pro will basically get you 70-80fps in games, where the non-pro will get you 60.

20. Re: Which card? Sep 28, 2003, 16:41 Ant

I upgraded from a LeadTek GeForce4 Ti4200 video card to an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AIW) and all my games are so much faster and smoother, especially with FSAA and anisotropic.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re:Which Card? Sep 28, 2003, 16:40 Enahs

Why on earth would you be replacing a Ti4200?
He did not say Ti4200, he said Ti200! That is a Geforce3 class card!

*removed by user* Due to gildemere explaining what the SE means, maybe it was not as good of a deal as I thought! Damn all this complicated naming crap

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 16:44.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

18. Re: Which card? Sep 28, 2003, 16:26 nin

I have a Ti4600 and it seems perfectly good to me and I hadn't really thought about replacing it until next year some time.

I'm in the same boat, with a 4600. I wouldn't MIND a newer card, but nothing I've seen so far seems to justify the need for an upgrade. Everything I've been playing lately (Jedi Academy, Rise of Nations, Vice City, EF2, IL2, etc.) runs fine.

For me, until I see a definite reason, I can't see just buying a new card. That could be HL2, Doom3, or DX2, but until I get them home and see bad frame rates on what I have now, I'm not going to worry about it. Sure, there's always something out that will give you an extra 10fps, but is it worth $300+ dollars?

Supporter of the "A fredster By Any Other Name Is Still The Same" fan club.

http://www.nin.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo