Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BC Generations = Universal Combat

Battlecruiser Generations rechristened on GameSpot reveals that publisher DreamCatcher Games will announce tomorrow that the upcoming installment in Derek Smart's space sim series will be renamed from Battlecruiser Generations to Universal Combat. The story describes plans for a new degree of user-friendliness and a revised focus on action over complex simulation that will accompany the name change, all intended to broaden the project's appeal.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!! Sep 23, 2003, 17:47 AtomicFishyStick

Call your turd whatever you want Derek it still looks and smells like shit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!! Sep 23, 2003, 10:09 Sty

LOL Self-proclaimed god of the gaming industry. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a flop. The world may never know.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

13. Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!! Sep 23, 2003, 08:46 Hump

Dereks been laying low lately, he used to post at Tom Chicks Quarter to Three forums but I havent seen a post in over 2 months or so.

I kinda like Derek. I love how the flamers start crap with him but when he gives it back they have the gall to be offended. If you can look past the ego he has some interesting things to say about how the industry works as well.

his games DO kinda suck thoough....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: Hmmmm Sep 23, 2003, 07:33 Flo

If we all work together we might summon him up again!

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

11. Re: Hmmmm Sep 23, 2003, 04:29 snide

i can remember when dereck used to jump on the bluesnews boards and scream at us all, man, i miss those days. funniest stuff ever.

dave snider
co-founder | guzzlefish.com
my dvd, cd, and game collections
http://www.guzzlefish.com/?user=dave

dave snider
comicvine.com

10. Hmmmm Sep 23, 2003, 03:43 WR417H

The last one had a non-mouse lookable FPS bit. REALLY bad. They better not screw this one up.

9. No subject Sep 23, 2003, 01:24 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH is all I have to say.

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

8. No subject Sep 23, 2003, 01:18 D4rkKnight

Look on the bright side, when it sucks and the bad reviews start, we can all watch Derek Smart act like an ass again.

7. Re: 4 you said the magic word Sep 23, 2003, 01:11 Dr.Del

double ouch! Poor Romero...

- Dr.Del

- DrDel

6. 4 you said the magic word Sep 23, 2003, 01:00 schraube

john romero

Daikatana II To Use Unreal Engine - Fargo -
6/1/98 16:45 PST -
Hmmm .... going over my notes from E3 I had this interesting conversation with John Romero, lead designer for Ion Storm's Daikatana:
Fargo: Any idea about the release date yet?

John Romero: Christmas. It'll be here for Christmas. We're aiming for the end of September, but it might end up being October or November.

Fargo: Future plans after that? Expansion packs?

John Romero: We might do a Daikatana mission pack. Daikatana II is being designed right now. The guys that are going to be doing it are called "Human Head," they're using the Unreal Engine. These are the guys that left Raven and started their own company -- the guys who did Heretic and Hexen and Hexen II, Take no prisoners, Mageslayer and stuff ... all those guys...

Fargo: But Daikatana II will use the Unreal Engine?

John Romero: Yeah.

5. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2003, 00:52 Dr.Del

ouch! Poor Derek...

- Dr.Del

- DrDel

4. Re: No subject Sep 23, 2003, 00:29 Schnapple

Let me preface by saying that at the outset, the Battlecruiser 3000AD game was one who you really really wanted to pull for - independent developer, ambitious title, perserverence, etc. But either I never "got" BC3K or it really was just a crap game, even after the patches.

Having said that, I notice how one of his games - I think it was the original Battlecruiser Millenium - was an "EB Exclusive". What really happened was that Smart self published the title and EB was the only retailer willing to talk to him. True, an ambitious and independent move - but it's just like him to spin his shortcomings into "features".

Really though I'd still pull for him (hell, I pull for John Romero) were it not for his arrogance, his lone photo, and that he got his PhD he brags about from a degree mill.

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

3. No subject Sep 23, 2003, 00:24 JediPunisher

And Derek asks unsuspecting buyers to "Bend Over"

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 00:25.

2. derek smart Sep 23, 2003, 00:20 Pete

haha

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

Doin' it Big

1. Battle Whazza? Sep 23, 2003, 00:17 Schnapple

Am I the only one who's been unable to keep up with how many Battlecruiser games there are? Seems the first one took like eight years to complete - now they come out faster than slasher movies.

will be renamed from Battlecruiser Generations to Universal Combat

Translation: Let's get rid of the stigma of this title that won't sell

The story describes plans for a new degree of user-friendliness and a revised focus on action over complex simulation that will accompany the name change, all intended to broaden the project's appeal.

Translation: Either Derek Smart has decided to hell with it and he wants to be paid, or he's off the project.

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo