Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Temple of Elemental Evil Trial

This Kazaa Webpage, of all places, offers download of a trial version of Temple of Elemental Evil as a sample of the Greyhawk D&D RPG. The download is a massive 843 MB download, because it includes the full game. The free trial will only operate for six hours, after which players can opt to continue playing by paying the $49.95 purchase price. Indications are that a more traditional demo release for this game is also in the works.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Won't do Sep 21, 2003, 09:36 Spooky

Well

You can find where to download the trial version in this thread (along with the multimedia extension) :
http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=56530997&replies=22

So you don't really need to use Kazaa

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: ToEE Sep 21, 2003, 05:47 Whakapapa

" I cleared the upper level only to discover about 15 zombies (CR 1/2 critters) each with damage reduction. WTF? Is this Troika's way of making the game harder? By making what were balanced encounters for 1st level parties next to impossible? "

ToEE is made for DnD 3.5 edition. The damage reduction system has been totally remade and made much for fun!
I can inform you the zombies has damage reduction 5/slashing which means you have to use a slashing weapon to deal full damage (ie. a longsword)

so its not because they want to make it harder, they just follow the rules of DnD 3.5 which i think is brilliant!

Just like their resting function, it totally owns!

34. Re: ToEE Sep 21, 2003, 03:05 Paranoid Jack

I'll admit I have been frustrated at times. The game could have used a couple more months of polish. But I also feel I have already gotten my money's worth out of ToEE. I have had some great games though I have lost three entire parties during Ironman sessions.

I had a party slaughtered by the Zombie rush also. But then I turned the tables on them and slaughtered them the next time around. I am back in the Moat House with a different party and they are kicking arse and taking names...

I rolled some awesome Fighters and a good Paladin and they make the NPC (henchmen) seem like wimps. If you don't have a Cleric and Paladin in the party I can see where it could be very difficult.

I have Halo(PC) on order but am now thinking I will skip it and wait for UFO:Aftermath and HL2 which are both reserved. If you are not having fun I would trade it in. Most stores ( 99% ) won't do that. Even Gamestop/Funcoland/Babages/Software Etc doesn't do that anylonger. At least not here...

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 03:05.

33. Re: ToEE Sep 21, 2003, 01:30 Scottish Martial Arts

I knew the game would be hardcore, that's why I picked Ironman over Normal. The reason I mention the Save & Exit bit is because it is representive of the unpolished nature of the game. It is clear that this was a rushed product and it shows in every aspect of the game except combat.

I am rapidly discovering however that combat isn't as great as the tutorial made it seem. I gave up on there being any interesting quests in Hommlet and am now in the moathouse. I cleared the upper level only to discover about 15 zombies (CR 1/2 critters) each with damage reduction. WTF? Is this Troika's way of making the game harder? By making what were balanced encounters for 1st level parties next to impossible?

Bah, this game is just pissing me off. Perhaps it reminds me too much of playing PnP DnD, which I find fun only because it's a chance to hang out with friends not because it's a particularly good game. I think I'll just return the damn game, I'm not having fun with it and repeated attempts to get into it have just made me all the more pissed off. This is especially disturbing given that I consider myself a hardcore CRPG fan. Oh well, Troika's now on strike two.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 01:32.

32. Re: ToEE Sep 21, 2003, 00:06 Paranoid Jack

Scottish, the bug is that the button is labled wrong. Ironman has no save game feature. It saves automatically when you exit. So if you hit Save & Exit it does nothing but hit Return to Game and it saves and exits. Yeah I realize this should not have been overlooked in the testing stage... but it is far from a tragedy.

Ironman=Hardcore and is great fun.

Sorry that some of you are not enjoying the game. But as has been posted here and elsewhere this is a strict game, not a Biowares dumbed down, user friendly version of AD&D. I mean no disrespect. I just assumed everybody who had read the previews, forums, and articles knew what this game was about....

31. Re: sux Sep 20, 2003, 23:46 nin

You know, you might have just pointed out the 'killer app' for purchasing games online. no more cd jockeying

Yeah, it's called Steam. Be careful what you wish for!

Supporter of the "Is Fredster Really Gone?" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com
This comment was edited on Sep 20, 23:46.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: sux Sep 20, 2003, 22:07 Ryan

So you get the full game ... without the annoying Atari CD protection

You know, you might have just pointed out the 'killer app' for purchasing games online. no more cd jockeying

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 22:08.

29. Re: sux Sep 20, 2003, 22:06 Ryan

is there a non-kazaa download of this? PReferably a .torrent

-ryan

28. Re: sux Sep 20, 2003, 21:27 abelincon

Wow, #3, you should know what you're talking about before posting stuff like that. ToEE does not use the Infinity Engine; it uses a modified Arcanum engine. ToEE was made by Troika, not Bioware or Black Isle, therefor it cannot use the IE. Not all 2D isometric CRPG's are IE driven games.

i'm assuming that IE games are fairly ubiquitous by now and that most people have played them. judging by how little intelligence this poster has shown, let me clarify my statement for those of you who didn't fully catch what i said the first time.

while it obviously doesn't use the IE engine, toee plays exactly the same as all of the other games except with a few fun things removed. if you can tell the difference between the gameplay of toee and any other IE game, you probably already own a copy. if you can stand many missing features, bare bones gameplay, and lots of CTD bugs, then toee will probably give you the same experience you had with the rest of the IE games.

27. Re: ToEE Sep 20, 2003, 14:26 FourPak

I bought ToEE and have been playing it A Lot and having Fun.

I'd recommend it for Advanced RPG fans. Most Diablo and Dungeon Siege players will find it too difficult. It's a complex game, on a par with Baldur's Gate and Arcanum.

- Combat is turn based, using Strict AD&D Rules, which means a dozen move and prep options available each combat round. It also means each character Class has unique Abilities and Skills you -must- learn when/where to use properly if you expect your party to survive. You'll get squished every time if you just send them all charging in to attack each round.

- The story is fairly broad and complex, often requiring multiple visits to multiple characters over time to accomplish some of the storyline branches. NOTE: make at least 1 character with high Charisma.

- Bugs: have only seen 2 major ones in `16 hours of play, neither fatal if you're careful:
-- QuickSave works ok but QuickLOAD does Not, and it's not obvious that it didn't load correctly. You can load quicksaves ok via the Load menu.
-- Deleting an old named save and then immediatly re-Saving a new named save failed, when I went back to Load it, the newly saved game wasn't there. Delete, exit the menu, then re-enter the Save menu to prevent this.

I've seen a couple smaller bugs, like NPC hireling inventory acting oddly, but no biggies. Overall the game is "stable" and very playable but definitely needs a patch to address the minor bugs and quirkiness of some parts.

I guess my only real complaint is that no computer game can capture the level of immersion of p&p D&D.

As you may recall, The World of Greyhawk and The Temple of Elemental Evil was what got Gygax and friends in trouble back in the 70's, because long before MUDs and MMOGs many of us LIVED our characters, going to classes disguised as mere students while in reality we were the Archmage Bastrestric! muhahahaa!

Nothing can rereate those grand times of high adventure, but ToEE is still pretty good.

25. Re: ToEE Sep 20, 2003, 11:32 Scottish Martial Arts

Ironman is the best! If you want hard-core, ToEE has it.

Too bad they never bothered to test saving. Save and Quit (supposedly the only means to save in Ironman) does absolutely nothing. Come on, this isn't some obscure dual-wielding-odd-weapons-while-fighting-a-slime-on-the-seventh-game-hour-of-the-seventh-game-day bug, this is a menu button not working period. And that's just the tip of the spear in terms of bugs.

I'm not a huge fan of DnD on the computer but I thought this would be a fun tactical combat game. When combat is working (e.g. the monsters arn't standing around with their thumb up their ass) it's probably the best combat system in an RPG for a long, long time. The trouble is that the combat only barely makes up for the shitload of bugs, stupid design decisions (Identify: WTF?) and incredibly weak plot,writing and quests. A good combat system is great but when every other aspect of the game is simply crap I become increasingly tempted to just exchange the damn thing for a HL2 preorder.

24. Re: Won't do Sep 20, 2003, 10:02 Ryan

If you still have to dl more stuff when you buy, why didn't they make the first dl smaller? They could of just included the first couple levels, since it's probally not possible to get through the entire thing in 6 hours (if it is then there's bigger problems..).

Sounds like a great candidate for the bargain box (cheaper and hopefully the bugs will be fixed by then). Too bad, I'm not into crpgs but was looking forward to this one.

23. Re: Won't do Sep 20, 2003, 09:11 Shadow

ok, thx for your information, Spooky.
How fast is the download?

22. Re: Won't do Sep 20, 2003, 08:55 Spooky

Once you buy the activation key, you get a link allowing you to download the missing 400 mb (mainly cinematics).

So you get the full game ... without the annoying Atari CD protection

21. Won't do Sep 20, 2003, 04:58 Shadow

It can't be the full game, because that one comes on two cd's of 700 mb. So maybe they left cinematics or music out?
And for that they still charge the full price....
My decision is made.

20. No subject Sep 20, 2003, 04:04 space captain

Why would you have to play anything?

I doubt Troika will let this game go unpatched... they get their business from repeat buyers, the hardcore crowd that plays hardcore RPGs - if they piss us off, they wont sell half as many games.

I wondered why T. Cain kept mentioning how they only had 6 months to make the game, etc. in all of his interviews. Foreshadowing?

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

19. Re: ToEE Sep 20, 2003, 02:27 Nonicknameforme

I'd rather play DnD with 6-10 other humans if I have to play it, maby thats just me however?

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

18. ToEE Sep 20, 2003, 02:09 Paranoid Jack

If you don't like D&D CRPGs don't keep buying them and expecting the rules to get any easier. This is a hard-core CRPG, period. This isn't BG(I or II). And this in't Pool of Radiance: The Ruins of Myth Drannor(thank God). Now that was a POS.

If you don't like D&D games stop buying them or even trying the demos. Simple, right?

On the other hand if you like D&D CRPGs and you have the patience to learn some of the rules. And if you can use tactics not just run around hacking and slashing everything... then this game is for you.

Ironman is the best! If you want hard-core, ToEE has it. Now if they can just fix a few bugs.

17. Re: what? Sep 20, 2003, 01:42 Halo

You also don't get to D/L it.

~Halo

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo