Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Ballmer Translation Sep 17, 2003, 11:08 Tigger

Linux is shaping up to be surprisingly good, and will steal server and desktop market share from us

Thatís basically what I said - just in not so many words.

As for Apple, making the Aqua UI a low cost option for *nix systems and pretty soon you will eat windows OS market share on desktops. Still they had a similar opportunity around 1985 and missed it bigtime due to thinking they were a hardware company - you couldn't make the same mistake twice right?

The issue here is connectivity. Microsoft simply has to say, "We're not supporting connections to any other desktop OS because of security reasons.", and Microsoft-only IT shops will nod their heads and say "Yes, master".

At least for right now - there are significant cost and time factors to migrating desktops to another OS just within one building, let alone the whole enterprise. Microsoft knows this Ė thatís why they've got some pretty aggressive licensing schemes.

In the end (as always), the consumer ends up losing - which really sucks for us.

--
Tigger

'Got CS...gas?'
Fixing my poor english skillz
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 11:09.
Fixing my poor english skillz, again
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 11:10.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Ballmer Translation Sep 16, 2003, 15:29 Anvil

In his speech, Ballmer addressed a range of other topics, including several Asian countries' efforts to develop a Windows competitor. "I don't think it's likely to prove useful," Ballmer said. "I don't think it's going to wind up being the big competitor we see--even in those markets."

Translation: We're scared. They've got a pretty good product.

I think not. My translation would be: Linux is shaping up to be surprisingly good, and will steal server and desktop market share from us. Govt mandated development is irrelevant - hey we'll even give them the windows source they are so out of it.

As for Apple, making the Aqua UI a low cost option for *nix systems and pretty soon you will eat windows OS market share on desktops. Still they had a similar opportunity around 1985 and missed it bigtime due to thinking they were a hardware company - you couldn't make the same mistake twice right?

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

2. No subject Sep 16, 2003, 12:50 VoodooV

MS needs to stop talking and start working

1. Ballmer Translation Sep 16, 2003, 11:50 Tigger

In his speech, Ballmer addressed a range of other topics, including several Asian countries' efforts to develop a Windows competitor. "I don't think it's likely to prove useful," Ballmer said. "I don't think it's going to wind up being the big competitor we see--even in those markets."

Translation: We're scared. They've got a pretty good product.

He also touched on Apple Computer's position in the marketplace. "Apple is doing some good, innovative work," he said.

Translation: We've got teams of folks working on duplicating it right now.

--
Tigger

'Got CS...gas?'
Edit: Fixed the subject line
This comment was edited on Sep 16, 11:50.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo