Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Doom3 on xbox Sep 16, 2003, 21:53 nin

So, I just thought of something.. will the people porting doom3 to the xbox have to rewrite it to use directx instead? Or is there already a dx8 codepath in doom3?

They may write some sort of "wrapper" that takes the OGL calls and translates them to the DX equivalent, and then tweak it from there. Speed could be an issue though (although now that I think about, unless they support higher res, they'll dump the video down to 640x480).

Just a guess...

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Alcatraz Sep 16, 2003, 20:32 red_420

This may be apart of the "prison level" screen shots we've all seen. Of course, I thought the game took place in City 17, somewhere in Europe

I noticed that too, and the screenshot does resemble the inside of Alcatraz, though not exactly.

16. No subject Sep 16, 2003, 16:56 Acleacius

Everyone is trying to get a common development standard, so anyone that doesnt use Linux and Mac, in the inital development is a sell out to you. It already takes 2 to 5 years just to get good game out now and your talking about another year development to get Linux and Mac development, that is so ridiculas it cant be replyed to with out be sensord

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Doom3 on xbox Sep 16, 2003, 16:38 Ryan

So, I just thought of something.. will the people porting doom3 to the xbox have to rewrite it to use directx instead? Or is there already a dx8 codepath in doom3? I can't imagine there's any ogl libs available for xbox development.

14. Re: Alcatraz Sep 16, 2003, 16:03 nin

I don't understand the link between HL2, ATI, and Alcatraz Island, unless perhaps HL2 includes an Alcatraz level.

This may be apart of the "prison level" screen shots we've all seen. Of course, I thought the game took place in City 17, somewhere in Europe

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Alcatraz Sep 16, 2003, 15:55 red_420

I don't understand the link between HL2, ATI, and Alcatraz Island, unless perhaps HL2 includes an Alcatraz level. But it does seem like a cool place to launch the product, if any of this story is true. So if I want to be the first to own a Raedon/HL2 combo (for the low low price of only $399), should I go pitch my tent at Fisherman's Warf?

12. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2003, 12:51 Von Helmet

No, Carmack isn't making extra effort to write it cross platform - Carmack is just sticking to what he knows. He's always used OpenGL as long as I can remember, and I imagine he will continue to do so.

Valve haven't tied themselves down in a similar way.

Besides, who said Linux was ever designed for games? Newsflah - it wasn't.

If it's easiest to write a game for DX and thus tie yourself to Microsoft, then so be it.

11. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2003, 11:00 whatever

It doesn't matter. Relying on DX 9 is a total sell-out to MS. What about Linux and Mac clients? At least Carmack is going through the extra length of trying to make Doom 3 compatible with all major modern graphics cards and platforms. What is Valve doing about this?

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 11:01.

--
"So what does Quake 3 give you? It's quite simple: the utter refinement of deathmatch, and the ultimate multiplayer shooter experience - nothing more, nothing less. " -- Dennis "Thresh" Fong

10. No subject Sep 16, 2003, 10:53 Acleacius

Sure DirectX9 is here now and working at least on ATI
If you want to wait till OpenGL 2.0 is approved before you play any more games go head, I dont think you will thou, mostly the truth is your just a suckup to Id. Cause if you were paying attention Carmack has said there are problem with NVida and OpenGL and Doom3, I posted this yesterday
http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/hl2/
Here is the quote
Some people may look to OpenGL and Doom3 and say that this displays no such issues, yet the fact is that John Carmack has already stated a similar situation with his software engine. With Doom3’s “ARB2” path that utilises the OpenGL ARB approved fragment (pixel) shader extensions, the NV3x series is at about half the performance of the Radeon series; however, it is widely known that Doom3 will have an NV30 path that makes use of NVIDIA’s own extensions, which can make more effective use of the mixed precisions than the standard ARB extensions can.

Note: It’s an interesting fact that of the two most eagerly anticipated games over the next year the developers have had to expand time and effort in creating special, optimised paths for GeForce FX hardware whereas ATI has more than acceptable performance (and with higher IQ) in both of these titles utilising the default path. The release dates for both of these titles have been a constant source of interest - has creating more special rendering paths actually hindered the release of these titles?

Looks like what Valve said was true, that each game maker now has to make special coding for NVida cause it cant run DirectX9 and OpenGL 2.

As far as Software vendor, good lord im not relying on them I am asking a question about the Inquirer. Arent they wrong, isnt it mostly believed its been postponed till 11/19, or they one of the spoof news sites?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. MS Mouse Link - not found? Sep 16, 2003, 09:46 Devster

MS Mouse link not happenin' for me; getting the ol' page not found.

phuck write of ewe type-o crytics
Psst: Dan = Fred. Pass it on.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

8. Re: Look at the truth ... Sep 16, 2003, 08:28 Kars

Doom 3 does so much better with all graphic cards

Er... you do know that it is because Carmack programmed a special code path for NV30+ ? ATI cards just use the standard OpenGL ARB2 path. And another reason it "does so much better" is because it is essentially a game using DX7/DX8-level of technology.

Valve = ATI / MS (DX 9) sell out.

Valve wanted to put advanced effects in their game. OpenGL didn't support these effects. DX9 did.

And DX rendering engines can run as fast as OpenGL ones, it's just a matter of how good the programmers are. It's just an API you know.
This comment was edited on Sep 16, 08:29.

7. Re: Look at the truth ... Sep 16, 2003, 07:59 AcidDrone

I agree to some extent. but its not so much a half life bashing thing as it is a directx/d3d bashing thing.

hl is great, hl2 will no doubt be great.
but i dont know why developers dont learn from carmack and realize that opengl is the only way to go. i know they still can't implement all the features that dx9 can, but atleast if they include a ogl renderer you can get the superior performance it provides.

6. Re: Look at the truth ... Sep 16, 2003, 06:43 whatever

HL1 was okay (Quake 1.5 engine). This HL2 direct X only nonsense just screams sell-out. The failure of Steam isn't exactly helping things either.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 06:44.

--
"So what does Quake 3 give you? It's quite simple: the utter refinement of deathmatch, and the ultimate multiplayer shooter experience - nothing more, nothing less. " -- Dennis "Thresh" Fong

5. Re: Look at the truth ... Sep 16, 2003, 06:19 DeaderMeat

You have a very strange view of the truth.
Perhaps you should change your name from "whatever" to "IDidntLikeHLAndImDeterminedNotToLikeHL2".

4. Look at the truth ... Sep 16, 2003, 05:34 whatever

I think we are all looking at this the wrong way.

Doom 3 does so much better with all graphic cards
and made with Open GL (not sold out to MS). Does
this send a different message to us gamers?

Some gamers I notice are wise enough to see the
actual truth - beyond the hardware spec wars:

Valve = ATI / MS (DX 9) sell out.

ID Software = Cares about gamers and will support
any cross-platform, cross-hardware equipment.

--

3. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2003, 02:32 Fungu

It continues to boggle my mind when I see that people still rely on release dates from software vendors.

2. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2003, 01:59 DrEvil

I don't see Sept 30th happening for HL2. I hope they prove me wrong but from what I've read they would need to go gold like in the next couple days to make shipping on the 30th. Still possible I suppose.

1. No subject Sep 16, 2003, 01:23 Acleacius

Hey is this Inquirer thing a joke? They seem to think that Half-Life 2 is still coming out on the 30th.
While most software outlets list it as 11/19, as the date, now.
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/235059.asp

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 01:24.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo