Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Halo PC Gold

Halo for Windows Goes Gold is the press release announcing that the PC version of Bungie's Xbox shooter is finally complete for one of its original target platforms (back before Microsoft acquired Bungie), and is expected to reach store shelves by September 30. Here's a bit from the release: "Halo, the critically acclaimed best-selling Xbox game, is coming to Windows gamers for the first time with new exclusive features, including online multiplayer support, new maps, vehicles and weapons. Halo is optimized for the PC with the precision offered by the mouse-and-keyboard and full support for high-end hardware including graphic resolutions up to 1600 by 1200 and beyond. Halo's online multiplayer feature will enable players to battle it out with fellow gamers worldwide in a variety of individual and team-based games. Halo for Windows was developed by Gearbox Software in conjunction with Bungie Studios. For more information, please visit the official site at http://www.microsoft.com/games/halo/."

View
102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

102. No subject Sep 22, 2003, 05:54 Midnight

Any PC Gamer who refuses to consider a game simply because it was released on another platform first is terribly petty and close-minded.

I've bene playing the 1.5 beta of Halo and am thoroughly enjoying the solo campaign. The AI - both friendly and enemy - is extraordinary. I particularly enjoy all of the comments that my fellow marines make as I do things. THis is a game which has made me laugh out loud on several occasions, great fun. I'm definitely buying this one.

I love watching a little grunt run around wildly with a plasma grenade stuck to the back of his head yelling "Get it off, get it off!!!"

http://www.crimsondark.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

101. Re: Halo? No thanks. Sep 21, 2003, 22:26 Learning

Can I save any where I want in the single player game ?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

100. Re: Midnight's Posts Sep 21, 2003, 18:28 ReDeeMeR

Any PC gamer who's going to buy itis a tool.

99. Re: Midnight's Posts Sep 20, 2003, 20:20 Midnight

Sigh. I find your lack of brain disturbing.

I was not saying that this is the greatest innovation in FPSs ever, just that the PC version is better than the X-Box version. Don't put words in my mouth, and get that foot out of your own.

98. Re: Midnight's Posts Sep 20, 2003, 19:22 Panick

"the PC version will allow you to manually save mid-level when you pass a checkpoint, and you can have more than one save per level, so if there's a particular section you want to go back to play over and over, you won't have to play through the entire level to get there. "You can have a hundred of them on your hard drive," says Pitchford, "and you can load them from any point, so that's pretty cool."

I had to read this 5 times just to see if this really wasnt sarcasticly written. I mean comon!! OMG OMG you can save MID-GAME!! it's the new thing man!! totally revolutionary!!11. PC games have had that for what....12 years? Was it this save game feature that took 5 years to code? Is that why they are so proud of it?

97. Re: Midnight's Posts Sep 19, 2003, 18:08 Midnight

Ignoring the fact that Gearbox is going to try and get co-op into a patch, there's still multiplay to look forward to - and it looks awesome.

96. Re: Midnight's Posts Sep 18, 2003, 21:23 AgentD

Oh, so you're saying we can play multiplayer Coop, just like the XBox? If that's true, then yes, the PC version is an improvement over the console. Otherwise: No, it's not. :/

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 21:24.

95. Re: Halo? No thanks. Sep 18, 2003, 11:15 kanniballl

I'm buying it too. I liked the single-player aspect, but I could not STAND playing through the library level again.

I'm definately going to enjoy multiplayer. I just hope it has a good ping over the internet, since I dont go to LAN parties.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

94. No subject Sep 18, 2003, 08:43 Midnight

Some more examples of improvements in the PC version, taken from a recent preview of a near-to-gold build:

"Halo PC will ship with all 26 multiplayer modes from the original Xbox version, dubbed "Classic," which are exact recreations of its Xbox counterparts, all the way down to vehicle placement. In addition, there should be 12 or 13 "Standard" modes, which have been added for the PC, as well as the ability to mix and match your own "Custom" modes, where you can get as detailed as giving different teams completely different sets of vehicles."

"the PC version will allow you to manually save mid-level when you pass a checkpoint, and you can have more than one save per level, so if there's a particular section you want to go back to play over and over, you won't have to play through the entire level to get there. "You can have a hundred of them on your hard drive," says Pitchford, "and you can load them from any point, so that's pretty cool." "

and chek his out for cool info regarding the editing tools:

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/august03/halopc/index3.shtml

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 08:44.

93. Re: Note To Self Sep 18, 2003, 04:38 mbmonk

If you released Half-Life today, or Unreal, that would be on par with releasing Halo today. Those were great games, but today? No.

Yea this game looks like crap now:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/openpic.php?name=..%2Fscreenshots_library%2Fdir_197%2Fvortal_pic_98952.jpg

92. Re: Halo? No thanks. Sep 18, 2003, 04:15 mbmonk

aww... bungie only did what anyone else would have done, i mean seriously if a huge ass company like M.$. were to dump a shitload of cash in your pocket (millions in this case) and offer you spacious working conditons, and unlimited resources, would'nt you take it... i know i would! that is the whole point of creating a game like halo in the first place, could they have done it without M.$.? sure, but the bottom line is...shut the hell up, and take the fuckin money!

Amen to that. Almost anyone in that situation would have did the same as bungie. But since bungie made that move they are "sellouts". Come the *bleep* on!

BTW to all the whiners who are mad because Halo didnt come out 2 years earlier, dont play dont buy it. There will be plenty of people who will and will enjoy a great game. I know its a great game because I played on the Xbarks.

91. Re: OK I admit it ... Sep 18, 2003, 03:25 Midnight

Do your research Redeemer. The PC version has improved graphics for high-end PCs, more MP options plus six new MP maps, two new MP weapons and a new MP vehicle. How is that not improving on the X-box version?

Edit: Not to mention the editing tools
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 03:26.

90. Re: OK I admit it ... Sep 17, 2003, 21:32 kanniballl

As far as H-L 2, I don't think it's gonna make 9/30 either, since it hasn't gone gold yet

I don't think they're shooting for it either. At best, someone said they might release it via steam AROUND that time, all be it at a buggy state.

Personally, I think ebgames.com has an accurate release date. November 19 sounds like a realistic timeline considering a) it hasn't gone gold yet, b) they're still working the BS out with nVidia.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

89. Re: OK I admit it ... Sep 17, 2003, 18:54 ReDeeMeR

Sorry buddy, but they didnt improve upon it a single bit, infact they trashed it, took coop out and what do we have? An outdated piece of shit all it is.

If they thought they owned something to PC community they would make Halo the way it should've been in the first place and made it up to the standarts of today's PC FPS

Now M$ made Gearbox "not to improve upon it" so the Halo2 on Xbox would look better, I mean it would look REAL BAD if PC HALO LOOKED BETTER then Halo 2 Xbx, because current hardware is already leaps bounds ahead of Xbx, but all they did is crippled the code so it runs like shit on PC and thus making it look like Xbx is pretty powefull.

I can make a few lines of code that will bring highest end PC to it's knees, because the code will be flawed.

Sorry M$, you can shove your shit where sun doesnt shine.

88. Re: OK I admit it ... Sep 17, 2003, 11:31 IronMan

Well, I'm another one who could care a less about the PC release. I got an Xbox + Halo last Xmas, and I totally agree with #65 - it could have been a fun game, but playing it with a gamepad just ruined it for me. FPS's and gamepads do not mix. And now I have no desire to play through it again on the PC. Too many other good games out there. The vehicles would have been fun for MP 3 yrs ago, but now with Tribes 2, BF1942 & UT2004 coming, big deal.

As far as H-L 2, I don't think it's gonna make 9/30 either, since it hasn't gone gold yet. And releasing the Steam version first, before retail?? Are you kidding? No one has the bandwidth to handle that flood, not to mention how that would pi$$ off all the ppl that want the retail version, and would have to wait. No way.

87. Re: Halo? No thanks. Sep 17, 2003, 03:22 Midnight

I think that PC Halo has come about because Bungie genuinely believes that it still owes *somehing* to its old Mac/PC community. It seems that Halo will be the last thing we get, and I'll bet that if MS had their way we wouldn't even be getting Halo at all. But since Halo was originally announced for PC (in fact, originally demoed on a Mac), they feel honour-bound to release it for these platforms. That and they know that they'd be lynched if they didn't do it.

Take the game for what it is, not for what it symbolises.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

86. Re: Halo? No thanks. Sep 16, 2003, 21:40 Stylz

Bingo dude..After all this is a business, and that was a DAMN good business move. MS needed a killer ap and they bought one. Bungie took the money and they are now a household name. Get over it or don't buy it..

Geez whoda thought the internet would produce so many whiny babies...They have already made their money on this game and they are throwing PC gamers a bone by releasing it now. It sucks but it was really an offer they could not refuse.

85. Re: Halo? No thanks. Sep 16, 2003, 19:54 ]-UnderTOW-[

"Good grief, there are so many SNOBS on this forum!"]
Yeah, no kidding. Every page i visits here at the Blue's forum, is packed with simple and petty minded gimps. It's a sorry thing to happen to such a great site. I have no idea why i still visit this forum. Maybe i'm holding onto the slim hope of there are still a few intelligent people here.

84. Re: Halo? No thanks. Sep 16, 2003, 07:11 jim

aww... bungie only did what anyone else would have done, i mean seriously if a huge ass company like M.$. were to dump a shitload of cash in your pocket (millions in this case) and offer you spacious working conditons, and unlimited resources, would'nt you take it... i know i would! that is the whole point of creating a game like halo in the first place, could they have done it without M.$.? sure, but the bottom line is...shut the hell up, and take the fuckin money!

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 07:18.

83. Re: I liked it... Sep 16, 2003, 05:24 Hump

Yes this means that HL2 will be Pak-in wiht the 9800XT. Which is getting Introduced next monday or Tuesday.

I think I remember hearing that it's not going to be a full version but one of those promotional things (not as short as a demo but not the full game either). Just keep in mind that I'm not 100% sure about this being accurate so don't take it as gospel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

102 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo