Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Our backyard neighbors (is that a phrase?) recently added a second chocolate lab to their family, and the puppy is quite the vocal thing... I suspect he's challenging Hudson the wonder dog for her position as Mayor of the neighborhood (though he may just be announcing his intentions to make her his bitch, to use the proper doggie parlance). The thing is, the yappy fellow's bark sounds just like Hudson's, except for the remarkable amount of time he spends letting them fly, and I'm concerned that there may be neighbors who think that it's Huddy who's disturbing them (including occasional late night/early morning concerts). All I can think of is Elaine hiring Kramer and Neumann to take that barky dog 'for a ride' in Seinfeld.

Play Time: Hairstyle Runner. Thanks Ant.
Stories of the Day: Man hurt in brawl over laser.
New Terror Laws Used Vs. Common Criminals.
Science!: NASA plans to crash Galileo into Jupiter.
Is Buddhism Good for Your Health (registration required).
Uh-Oh, Mercury's in Retrograde.
Media of the Day: Last second Thunderbirds bail-out. Thanks Kevin Rank.
Auction of the Day: SANTA CLAUSE POOP. Thanks Gargus.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. chocolate labs Sep 16, 2003, 08:52 Armengar

My parents have a pair of chocolate labs (sisters) and they hardly ever bark. They only seem to go mad when they see someone that they havent seen for a long time (cue jumping, barking, breaking things etc)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Ahem... Sep 16, 2003, 00:48 WarPig

Dammit! I keep pushing the button and he just... keeps... typing. Apparently Pellet Puppy's shock collar needs new batteries.

j/k

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~ More fun than a clown on fire.

GO SEAHAWKS!

51. Re: Ahem... Sep 16, 2003, 00:47 eunichron

When I was a kid the family pet was a pitch black great dane. Occasionally she would bark at night(usually at the deer crossing our backyard), and o' what a bark it was. We didn't get any complaints though, but we never figured out if our neighbors just didn't care, or if they were afraid she'd eat them.

50. Re: Ahem... Sep 16, 2003, 00:35 Pellet Puppy

I thought me and Drekhead already finished the dog barking debate? Everyone else.. Shut up. STOP THE NOISE. stop the spam !!! Good .. Here's a treat. Good posters Gooooood NO don't start posting again I told you to stop! DAMNIT I'M TELLING YOU FOR THE LAST TIME! Don't make me come out there and get you. HEY HEY. Come back here! Stop running around. THIS IS SERIOUS MR! I'll send you to Post school if you make another comment!:/bad joke #2

49. Re: Ahem... Sep 16, 2003, 00:00 WarPig

Good post Brick.

The following rant isn't directed at any dog owners who give a shit.

God, this is as pissed as I've ever been after reading some of the posts on this board and I know those responsible don't care because they don't generally care about anything other than themselves.

Yeah, dogs bark. And yeah my lawnmower mows, my stereo can play loud music, and my foot can kick a mudhole in your ass and walk it dry. But it doesn't mean I would do any of the first two things in the middle of the night as I do have some sense of consideration for other people.

Here's a memo to any dog owners who move in next to me. If you can't shut the dog up, move it inside at night until you can. It's just part of the responsibility of owning a dog. I'll tell you one thing, if I can't sleep, you won't be sleeping either.

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig ~ More fun than a clown on fire.
This comment was edited on Sep 16, 00:06.

GO SEAHAWKS!

48. No subject Sep 15, 2003, 23:16 Nonicknameforme

"I grab my sawed-off but i'm called off... I'm called off."

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

47. Re: Bunko! Hardware Question Sep 15, 2003, 22:48 ExcessDan

I'd be more worried about my computer hard crashing every 10 minutes in 98/ME.

Love,

Dan

xoxo

"Life is such a sweet insanity, the more you learn the less you know." ---Hogan

ExcessDan

46. Re: Bunko! Hardware Question Sep 15, 2003, 22:28 nin

Weeee! My question is answered!

I thought it was 768 also...guess not. Bunko, if you're going to upgrade, you might as well get a new OS...aren't your worried about companies dropping support for 98/ME in the next couple of years? Granted, games might still run, but what about drivers?

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

45. Ahem... Sep 15, 2003, 21:21 Brick

Dear Blue,

It is a pleasure to meet a dog owner with a conscience! I was under the impression that dog owners couldn't give a rat's ass what time you went to bed or got up in the morning. To be quite honest, I thought dog owners received some sort of joy out of their dog's vocalizations and wished to share with the rest of the ‘hood. Thanks but no thanks! The only thing worse than the dog barking is when the owner comes out and admonishes the dog for said barking. Of course, one would think this is a good thing. It is, most certainly, unless the exchange between dog owner and dog out does the original cacophony in both decibels and duration. Thanks Blue for being aware of those around you.

P.S. I’ve never complained about a dog in my neighborhood and I could care less about intermittent barking but I think you get the gist of what I mean from above. The three-complaint law sounds ludicrous, especially if you have a neighbor with an agenda, but if your best comeback to this issue is “well some dogs like to bark” or “well, it’s the city, what do you expect,” then you’re a complete and unqualified idiot. Something can be done about it. It’s called training. So put the potato chips down and get your fat ass of the couch and spend some quality time with the pet that you "wuv so much! yes you do! yes you do!"

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 21:25.

44. Re: Bunko! Hardware Question Sep 15, 2003, 20:54 Bunko

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943
Weeee! My question is answered! Up to 1GB! Not quite sure if I need that much, though

I don't think I'll be getting a 64-bit processor (Opteron or Athlon64) for awhile due to the high prices and I don't want to upgrade to WinXP until I have to (for 64-bits). If I get a plain old Barton, I can afford much more. I can get 1GB of RAM, and Radeon 9800 NP and still save $150+ over a lesser Opteron system. Since I'll be getting a cheap Barton (2500+) and a cheap mobo (KT600) I can afford an upgrade for a 64-bit processor in a year or two. I'm waiting for HL2 comes out before I build my new rig though, so it may be awhile.

Anyhow, good times are a comin' !

Note: If you can't tell, I'm a hardware phreak. No programming for me (well, HTML, I guess) just the hard stuff.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Sep 15, 20:55.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

43. Bow Wow Sep 15, 2003, 19:54 HIGH_PING

There really aren't any federal laws against irritating noises, such as a dog's bark. Most states have their own laws on that matter, but for physically dangerous noises, there are numerous, strict laws that are regulated by the Gov.
Check this out:
http://www.ncseonline.org/nle/crsreports/03Feb/RS20531.pdf

42. Re: Bunko! Hardware Question Sep 15, 2003, 19:19 Enahs

Looks like 768MB is the limit for Win98!
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447

Unless the fixed it in the SE?
It does not say if it is? And it does not appear to be an absolute problem, as sometimes it works with a gig? Who knows!

"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and paste. Now I’ve read the arguments on both side, and I haven’t found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever."
This comment was edited on Sep 15, 19:21.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

41. Re: Terror Laws Sep 15, 2003, 19:15 Halsy

Check http://www.aclu.org/safeandfree/ for more info.
The Patriot Act section includes summaries and critical analysis of the Patriot Act I & II (Victory Act). Lot's of solid information to be had there. Scary shite.

And yes, that technology link is really fucking cool. Right out of Minority Report. Gimme!

Cthulu loves you. On a bun. With catsup.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

40. Re: Bunko! Hardware Question Sep 15, 2003, 19:08 Halsy

Win98 can detect up to 3 gigs O' RAM if I recall correctly.

Cthulu loves you. On a bun. With catsup.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

39. Re: Bunko! Hardware Question Sep 15, 2003, 19:04 Enahs

How much memory can Windows 98SE address?
And, BTW, should I get a gig of RAM? Or doesn't it matter? I say get it for future compatability, but is it excessive?
I had 512MB on Win98SE, and it detected it properly. So I know it can at least do 512.

I have a gig of ram, and I REALLY need more!
But then again, not many people will be in Photoshop with 100+ layers going on. My next upgrade will be video card, followed by exchanging my 1 gig of ram with 3 gigs of higher performance ram, for PS. Then eventually a new CPU, but my CPU is ok for now, even thought I really could use a shite load more of processing power.

I will say though, you can tell a difference in loading times on cutting edge games. As well as being able multitask a lot better. But, Win98SE! WTF man, if you are gonna go with a gig, you might as well go with XP!

"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and paste. Now I’ve read the arguments on both side, and I haven’t found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever."

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

38. Re: Terror Laws Sep 15, 2003, 18:46 eunichron

The Constituion is predicated on a triumvirate of checks and balances between the legislative, executive and judiciary branches of the government. The Patriot Act runs roughshod over the judiciary branch and strives to eliminate that balance.
Not all of it, but quite a bit of it does, and I don't like that any more than you do. Which is why I asked about those ammendments that are being considered, I haven't yet heard exactly what parts they'll be ammending.

On a completely unrelated note, this is really fucking cool: http://www.io2technology.com/applications.htm

37. This page looks weird in Mozilla Sep 15, 2003, 18:34 Von Helmet

I think Win98SE can do 256MB, but I think programs can run within windows that can use more than that. Like I think Photoshop can use well over the limits of the OS.

I'm sure I've read that it's possible.

Just pick up a copy of XP Pro. It's cheap if you look around, or free if you have no morals

I think it's fair to say that for gaming purposes, 512MB is enough.

36. Bunko! Hardware Question Sep 15, 2003, 17:31 Bunko

How much memory can Windows 98SE address? If I want a gig of RAM in my next computer am I gonna have to upgrade my OS? Links would be appreciated!

And, BTW, should I get a gig of RAM? Or doesn't it matter? I say get it for future compatability, but is it excessive?

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Sep 15, 17:52.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

35. Re: Slight Mistake: Sep 15, 2003, 17:30 Atomic

Taking someone's dog away after three complaints is excessive. On that, we can agree.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

34. Re: Slight Mistake: Sep 15, 2003, 17:14 Pellet Puppy

Well I think it has alot to do with the dog. Some dogs just like to bark. Even a well trained dog might bark and upset neighbors 3 times during its life. The punishment and requirments for that punishment is what I'm saying is absurd.

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo