Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Delay

The Steam Website has word that today's planned Steam client release has been pushed back until tomorrow (thanks Funluvncriminal), though the server code is still slated for release later today. There is another post on VERC quoting Doug Lombardi apologizing for the delay, and saying: "We've been making final changes to the Steam network throughout the night. Unfortunately, it's taken longer than we planned."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: *cough* Sep 11, 2003, 19:12 Asatruer

Re: to #3
I think the DoS attack is fairly likely.
I have been watching the website in the past two days and it is eratic in its stability. Sometimes it loads, other times only the text and images and no background, other times with only some images, not to mention the all too common and simple failure of the pages to load.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: *cough* Sep 11, 2003, 06:54 M7

BULLS***BINGO!!!!!!!
i love that game

21. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 23:31 Camaro76

"Steam will broaden your network capablities by exercising a focus of scope..."

Yes, but I think by using Steam through a top-down, proactive approach we can remain customer focused and goal-directed, innovate and be an inside-out organization which facilitates sticky web-readiness transforming turnkey eyeballs to brand 24/365 paradigms with benchmark turnkey channels implementing viral e-services and dot-com action-items while we take that action item off-line and raise a red flag and remember touch base as you think about the red tape outside of the box and seize B2B e-tailers and re-envisioneer innovative partnerships that evolve dot-com initiatives delivering synergistic earballs to incentivize B2B2C deliverables that leverage magnetic solutions to synergize clicks-and-mortar earballs while facilitating one-to-one action-items!

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster smoking a cigar in a bathtub full of gasoline" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

20. Re: ermm cough.. Sep 10, 2003, 22:42 Fungu

No no, it's the InterWeb way!

19. Re: ermm cough.. Sep 10, 2003, 21:58 Ralphus

It's the American way!

18. Re: ermm cough.. Sep 10, 2003, 20:00 Quaternion

*sigh*
Some people just aren't happy unless they're bitching about something.

17. ermm cough.. Sep 10, 2003, 19:40 freon

Steam only costs money if you _want_ to be a subscriber (Platinum Pack) and get future new game releases for no additional charge.
ie: You by HL2 and a steam subscription. An HL2 expansion comes out, you get to download it for no extra fee. TF2 comes out (riiiiight lol), same thing. CS2 comes out, same thing. Everyone else will have to buy them for the regular price just like any other game.

Other than that, it is free.. always. You dont have to pay for steam to play the games, download patches, etc etc, ever.

Dont know how much the so called "Platinum Pack" will cost tho.

16. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 19:35 RichRz

Lol, I wouldnt be surprised if you pulled that bullshit from their website, buncha big words that mean absolutly nothing.

Boy nothing gets by you D4rkKnight.

(it was a HILARIOUS mockery of the hype behind this Steam system.)

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 19:36.

15. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 18:51 ZzeusS

HL2 will be free if you subscribe to the Steam system. Once you have a SteamID, you will have a list of games you can download.

Then once you buy HL2 from the store you can sign up for the free Steam system to patch your game.

After that Steam costs money.

14. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 17:58 D4rkKnight

Lol, I wouldnt be surprised if you pulled that bullshit from their website, buncha big words that mean absolutly nothing.

13. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 17:32 Fungu

By all means.

12. No subject Sep 10, 2003, 17:14 Hump

I dont mind Steam at all. I just hope Valve has their numbers figured out the day they offer HL2 for download.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

11. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 17:02 HBringer

To Clarify the clarification that garry posted:

HL2 will be available to buy VIA the Steam system.

Steam itself is FREE.

HL2 will use Steam for Updates, and for online authentication (similar to the CD-Keys and WONID system for HL1).

They are also talking about the possibility of a "subscription service", where you can pay a monthly fee to get access to download every commercial Valve product (i.e. Half-Life2, any expansion packs, new games, etc). This only applies to full games or commercial products. Shareware / Freeware items like MODs can be gotten WITHOUT a subscription.

--Noel "HB" Wade

10. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 16:41 garry

I think they've been perfectly clear.

they have said on the record:

hl2 will be available to buy steam
hl2 will use steam for updates
you need to auth online before you can play online using steam after you have used it with steam for the first time.

9. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 16:30 Bludd

[Hypnotic stare]
Give in to these urges you have.
[/Hypnotic stare]

8. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 16:22 ExcessDan

Steam makes me want to shoot myself.

Love,

Dan

xoxo

"Life is such a sweet insanity, the more you learn the less you know." ---Hogan

ExcessDan

7. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 16:17 [AIX]Hood

Because with the release of steam, comes the release of 3 new Half Life 2 gameplay movies, one or more of which might be new video. Lastly, it signals the coming of Half Life 2 at the end of the month, and Steam is one of the major delivery methods.

6. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 16:17 Enahs

Can someone tell me what the big deal about Steam is? Content delivery over the net?

It is suppose to be content delivery, but secure content delivery.
It is to help stop pirating of Valves games.
And supposedly make it easier to manage all your Valve games, and the various keys/serials/whatever you want to call them, in to one "Steam ID".
They have not really been very clear about their full intentions with Steam, and it's relation to HL2.
Which is why people are vary weary of this.

"Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and paste. Now I’ve read the arguments on both side, and I haven’t found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever."

*edit*
My post is labled #6, but it comes after #7!
Does anybody else see this, or is it some wacky thing on my end?
This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:20.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

5. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 16:17 anon@216.23

Steam will broaden your network capablities by exercising a focus of scope all through your company's synergies. A multilaternal approach to focusing on the core process is of the utmost importance, in regards to leveraging your abilities and taskable objectives. Steam will usher in the dominant paradigm of "computational shift", which will empower users over a broad spectrum of computer configurations to take advantage of the latest proactive networking capabilities.

In short, Steam will effortlessly blend your earnings into pure net gain for Value, while providing service and support that will usher in the information technology era, direct into the consumer's homes. It is a brave new paradigm, encased in a paradox.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:17.

4. Re: *cough* Sep 10, 2003, 16:05 RichRz

Can someone tell me what the big deal about Steam is? Content delivery over the net? Isn't that 1990's technology? I'm not being sarcastic here. Thanks!

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo