Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 & DirectX 9

Microsoft Hails 'Half-Life 2' as New Benchmark in Games for Windows (thanks Frans) has a little corporate log-rolling in which we learn that Microsoft thinks that Half-Life 2 is absolutely super, and that Valve holds Direct X 9 in equally high regard, even quoting former MS employee Gabe Newell on the topic.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. No subject Sep 11, 2003, 17:00 Raven737

yea, good thing i bought an ATI card lol,

Nvidia seems to be going the road of 3dfx, not surprising since they are working with the 3dfx team, geforceFX after all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 01:28 Modano

This whole article makes me respect John Carmack even more. He's a straight shooter, never afraid to comment directly on the particulars of any technology or (almost more importantly) manufacturer. I've never once felt that he was in anyone's pocket, even in his endorsements. This article made me feel like taking a shower and then playing some Q3.

26. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2003, 00:10 BlueF

...all current games are DIRECTX8

Except for Halo, which installs DX9b... er, not that I'd know that or anything.

Tho, I bet HL2 uses DX9 as well. : )

25. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2003, 23:34 ReDeeMeR

It's because NV3X hardware is shit at DirectX9 and all current games are DIRECTX8

24. No subject Sep 10, 2003, 23:28 D4rkKnight

Next Headline....Microsoft Buys Valve, Puts hold on PC version, Xbox version comming this christmas!

23. Re: HL2 Performance revealed Sep 10, 2003, 21:10 eunichron

What I gathered from that blurb:

ATI scored a deal with Valve to promote ATI cards. So instead of optimizing the game fully for both brands, they only go so far with Nvidia cards so that ATI still has the upper hand. But hey, at least they can say they made SOME optimizations for Nvidia.

What a crock of shit. In every review I've read on the FX 5900, and Radeon 9800, there's been good competition across the board, enough that to make a good buying decision you could go with personal brand preference and not get the shaft. And now suddenly one highly anticipated game comes out that needed "special" optimization to perform "reasonably" on one brand.

The last thing we need is developers playing favorites.

[EDIT]
Ok, to see if anything else was out I checked around on other sites, and saw that Gamersdepot has some of the benchmarks up (done by Valve internally). In the full DX9 test the Ti 4600 outperforms the FX line of cards... OK... I'm not usually one to believe in conspiracies, but what the fuck. Something is definately not right about what Valve is doing, whether it be that they're in bed with ATI, or maybe they're just shit coders.
This comment was edited on Sep 10, 21:54.

22. HL2 Performance revealed Sep 10, 2003, 20:56 Panick

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1862

"You'll see my own numbers tomorrow night at midnight, but we've been given the go ahead to reveal a bit of information about Half-Life 2. I'll keep it brief and to the point and will explain it in greater detail tomorrow night:

- Valve is pissed at all of the benchmarking "optimizations" they've seen in the hardware community;
- Half-Life 2 has a special NV3x codepath that was necessary to make NVIDIA's architecture perform reasonably under the game;
- Valve recommends running geforce fx 5200 and 5600 cards in dx8 mode in order to get playable frame rates.
- even with the special NV3x codepath, ATI is the clear performance leader under Half-Life 2 with the Radeon 9800 Pro hitting around 60 fps at 10x7. The 5900 ultra is noticeably slower with the special codepath and is horrendously slower under the default dx9 codepath;
- the Radeon 9600 Pro performs very well - it is a good competitor of the 5900 ultra;
- ATI didn't need these special optimizations to perform well and Valve insists that they have not optimized the game specifically for any vendor.

There you have it folks, there's much more coming tomorrow"

Conclusion: HL2 will suck major ass with nvidia card?

Well fuck me sideways....I'm really glad I bought that FX5900 Ultra.....

21. No subject Sep 10, 2003, 19:02 Raven737

i think i need to trow up...

well let's just wait for the half life 2 happy meals...

ahh well, i won't buy the game until all it's protections (at least for lan & single player) have been cracked.

20. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2003, 17:55 ReDeeMeR

This would kill CS2 fast, do they think all those chineese kids have legit copies of HL when they play CS??? LOL

19. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2003, 17:54 ReDeeMeR

Uhh, there's always a crack to fix something stupid like that, wich could lead more people into world of piracy(those who still dont know it).

18. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2003, 17:18 nin

A little you scratch my back i'll scratch yours is going on mes thinks

Yeah, Gabe and Bill pat each other on the ass and smile for the cameras.

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.davidbowie.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Here we go again! Sep 10, 2003, 17:13 Enforcer

Yes Eric,

This is for the Boxed version...basically all versions of HL, CS, TFC, HL2 will need an internet connection if they want to play a LAN game with a bunch of there friends.

Anything that is connected through Steam now will need that "verification" which I think is crazy!

16. Re: Here we go again! Sep 10, 2003, 17:06 BlueF

... to play your LAN game you still have to have a connection to the internet to play it to authenticate!

That would be crazy, wouldn't it!?

Online activation -- even required only once, similar to M$ "products activation" -- I could see… if not appreciate. However, I don't think requiring net connectivity for LAN play would ever fly. Sure, most LAN parties are going to have net access, but I think the inconvenience of requiring said connectivity would cause quite a stir.

Don’t get me wrong. It certainly does behoove publishers to do as much as possible, especially in the most probable environment, to prevent piracy. I'm sure, if they thought for a second it wouldn't cause to massive public outcry, they would try.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 17:13.

15. Foreplay Sep 10, 2003, 16:57 Belly Flop

Lift duvet, hop into bed... a one night stand is not always bad. Valve, Microsoft ... oh my what beautiful children.

haha raja, great minds think alike. Just read your post.
... and fools never differ... oh my.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:59.

14. I'm not going to spoil this broth Sep 10, 2003, 16:20 Cranky_b

M$ will likely do it all on it's own. Love half-life though...

heh, thanks for pop'in my cherry.

btw: filefront has got to be hurting, hope MS money at least makes up for the losses.
This comment was edited on Sep 10, 17:10.

13. Pitiful Sep 10, 2003, 16:01 BubbleMage

...and in other news, men announce that vaginas are the greatest thing ever. Women likewise sing the praises of penises. Men and women agree they work best together, and anticipate setting new benchmarks in breeding attempts.

Unfortunately, men discovered that the vagina's packaging is somewhat overpriced, driving up overall maintenance and usefulness issues. Women likewise express a distaste for what penises are attached to. Compromise on the part of both parties appears unlikely; litigation may ensue. Alternate uses and applications of both penises and vaginas are currently being pursued by their respective owners.

12. Re: Here we go again! Sep 10, 2003, 15:40 EricTheMad

I just read on the Steam site from the link below that to play your LAN game you still have to have a connection to the internet to play it to authenticate!

Is that for the boxed version as well, or just the steam downloaded version.

I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O. -- Tealc

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

11. Here we go again! Sep 10, 2003, 14:42 Enforcer

I just read on the Steam site from the link below that to play your LAN game you still have to have a connection to the internet to play it to authenticate!

Anyone else find this bizzare? I mean not a lot of people who go to LAN parties have access to the internet.

10. Re: Raven Shield Sep 10, 2003, 14:27 JAGUART

The Raven Shield camp has been strangely silent today. I wonder if they're ok. Its not like them to release news.

Public opinion version .1b Alpha and a Supporter of the "A happy poster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

9. Tired Sep 10, 2003, 14:00 Wiggamoe

Tired of the BS news like this about HL2, I want to see the Ships Ahoy: Half Life 2. Thats all I care about. Lets see the game dammit!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo