Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Previews

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: ugh Sep 8, 2003, 03:07 Quaternion

Hey Rat boy! How many published games do you have under your belt so far? Yeah that's what I thought. 'Nuff said.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: ugh Sep 7, 2003, 13:04 Ratty

Second, this HUD is NOT intrusive. Read ANY preview that has had hands-on time with the game ... and is NOT INTRUSIVE.
Wow, you're so wrong. Look at it? Are you blind? It practically covers the screen. I can just see myself hunched over my monitor, squinting, trying to make out what the hell I'm looking at through all the blue haze, lines, icons and crap. What could possibly go through a person's head thinking that a HUD that huge and instrusive should display right on top of all the action? Who in their right mind wouldn't want to put that stuff nice and small along the borders of the screen where it's out of the way? I think people's fawning devotion to the Spector god would have them eat shit if he said it was good.

As far as the HUD goes, I trust Warren. He hasn't let me down yet.
Sure, so would I. He makes the kinds of games I like to play. But not everything is up to him. He answers to Eidos. Deus Ex is one of their "pillar titles." Eidos is gonna milk it for every penny they can get out of it. If they tell him to cater to XBox players, dumb the story down for a retarded audience and make it shorter so's not to stretch their 10 second attention spans, then he'll damn well have to do it. He'll do the best he can I'm sure, hey, he's Warren Fucking Spector, but he'll have to bow down to his masters nonetheless.

Sadly, Thief 3 is probably gonna have the same exact thing.

10. Re: ugh Sep 7, 2003, 04:49 rist3903

The verdict is out for me on the hud until I play the game. But as for paying heed to the previews about how it is not intrusive.. I don't know. These are people who are paid to paint a rosy picture of the game in question. Of course they are going to say that any changes from the original title are going to be be effective, easy to use, look excellent, and are unobtrusive. That is their job.

9. Re: ugh Sep 7, 2003, 02:56 Quaternion

To the tune of the meow mix commercial:

whine whine whine whine
whine whine whine whine
whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine
whine whine whine whine
whine whine whine whine
whine whine whine whine whine
etc.

Let Spector be creative and do what he pleases with his game. You can bitch if you don't like it when it's done. And get over that childish console bias. No, I don't have an XBox. Yes, I'm getting this game for the PC.

I'd like to see you guys put your money where your mouth is and produce something better than this game. Yeah, that's what I thought! 'Nuff said.

8. Re: ugh Sep 7, 2003, 01:39 fliptw

the Freespace series used a somewhat similar circular hud. never bothered me any.

7. Re: ugh Sep 6, 2003, 23:36 Bunko

Yes. Let's hope that he hasn't yet lost his good judgement.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

6. Re: ugh Sep 6, 2003, 23:07 nin

But it is the spawn of Satan!

Here here...can they make the damn thing any bigger?

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.hybrid-group.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: ugh Sep 6, 2003, 22:28 Bunko

I just realise that the Xbox is not the spawn of Satan.

But it is the spawn of Satan!

4. ugh Sep 6, 2003, 22:10 Squirmer

Get over your console bias.

First of all, Warren Spector had an idea for an 'eyeball' HUD during the development of Deus Ex 1. BEFORE THE XBOX WAS AN ISSUE.

Second, this HUD is NOT intrusive. Read ANY preview that has had hands-on time with the game and see what they say about the HUD. EVERY ONE OF THEM says it's very effective, easy to use, looks excellent, and is NOT INTRUSIVE.

No offence, but I'm more willing to believe the unamimous opinion of people who have played the game over some Xbox hater who's made up his mind based on a few screenshots.

For the record, I'm getting this game for PC and don't even own an Xbox. I just realise that the Xbox is not the spawn of Satan.

By the way, those screenshots are old. Check out the new Gamespot preview for some new ones with a massively reduced HUD. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/deusexinvisiblewar/preview_6074704.html
This comment was edited on Sep 6, 22:13.

3. Re: Hate it Sep 6, 2003, 19:16 Politically Censored

I'm sure there will be some way to modify the HUD in the Options menu. Stop whining about Xbox and take a look at the real travesty. Did anyone check out the screen of that Nosferatu game on IGN? Those fingers on the pastie white character looks like crap, I didn't know developers were allowed to make games like this anymore. Horror themed games have gone the way of early Star Trek games. Somebody needs to shut that publishing house down.

2. Re: Hate it Sep 6, 2003, 17:59 Bunko

I heartily agree. This new interface looks like crap. It's gonna annoy me to no end, even if it is small and nearly transparent. Why'd they have to scrap the old interface? I thought it was fine.

All these developers keep "streamlining" things to make things work better on the X Box. They may be making things simpler, but they're dumbing it down.

1. Hate it Sep 6, 2003, 16:01 Ratty

Sorry, but I officially hate the new circular HUD arrangement in Deus Ex 2. No, I haven't played it, yes, I suppose one could get used to it, but I still hate it.

So there.

Maybe a circular view is more realistic, but give me a nice, classic HUD with everything out of the way over "realism" anytime. And why do I get the feeling this design was influenced somehow by the XBox? Maybe having something to do with selecting an inventory item with a joystick, perhaps? XBox is ruining all the good games.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo