Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've been helping my neighbor's sister treat his cat for various ailments while my neighbor is on vacation. These treatments include administering a subcutaneous dose of saline every other day. The questionable joy of sticking an unhappy cat with a needle has fallen on me since this is something I have experience with, having provided the same treatment for my own cat when he fell ill years ago. Of course, as immortalized in the Seinfeld where Morty goes to work for Elaine at J. Peterman's, the elderly often like to get an early start, and today's call came at the crack of dawn, so that cat managed to get her full serving of saline before I had even a portion of my serving of coffee.

Play Time: Roby Baggio Soccer/Football Free Kick Game. Thanks Ross.
Links of the Day: The Gallery of Monster Toys.
Postcards New York City.
Stories of the Day: UK balloonists set for second attempt and 'Space' balloon bid canceled.
A Campus Fad That's Being Copied: Internet Plagiarism (registration required).
Science!: Fuel-Cell Tech May Be Coming Soon.
Looking for love potion number nine.
Wheels in the Sky.
Auction of the Day: Weird Gross Bra That Fell Out Of My Ceiling. Thanks Dan Leadbetter.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

46. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 18:44 Soupkin

nin why do you go out of your way to pick on fred? who do you think you are?  
Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 18:37 Dr.Haggard

Yeah agreed, hunting purely for sport is wrong but if you eat what you kill, or it's for culling then that's different

Not if the culling or hunting-for-food is turned into a sport, which is the other point beng argued here. Deriving enjoyment from it, whatever the reason for doing it, is the thing most of us find abhorrent.

44. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 18:32 Dr.Haggard

And if you do not eat meat, man! You are missing out on some good stuff!

When I say 'life long' veggie I don't actually mean life long

I used to eat, and enjoy, meat. Many, many years ago. I have never missed it once, and I now eat a far more varied, delicious and healthy diet without it.

43. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 18:32 WebDemon

Yeah agreed, hunting purely for sport is wrong but if you eat what you kill, or it's for culling then that's different. I grew up with a kid who's Dad hunted in the fall and the ate nothing but deer all winter. Nothing wrong with that.

42. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 18:28 Von Helmet

If people hunt to eat, then that's cool.

Equally, some hunting is necessary to keep some animal populations in control.

However, the point is both have to be humane. Guns are good for this (and yes, I realise I was arguing against guns in another thread, but that was in the context of handguns etc) as if you know what you're doing you can kill an animal very quickly and easily.

I'm against hunting for sport, or "fun". Killing an animal should not be fun simply for the sake of inflicting harm on something. Certainly not if it's for the means of culling - that's a clinical thing, you're there to do a job. Hence why the whole "cat killing with shotguns" business was so outrageous, because the writer clearly seemed to enjoy it solely for the sake of inflicting harm and pain on animals.

I've lost my point.

I tell you what is horrendous - fox hunting with dogs in England. That's barbaric. That could be done with guns quite easily.

41. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 18:06 eunichron

I do some hunting, but haven't gone since I was a teen. Probably the most fun, and yet tedious, hunt I've been on was bow hunting elk with my uncle in the rockies. Bow hunting is quite a lesson in patience and discipline.

And growing up I knew a guy that used to hunt wild boar with a .44 Magnum. You ain't seen nothin' until you've seen a boar take a .44 and keep running at you full speed. I think he quite after one determined little animal tore his leg open.

There are some who forego the real point of the sport, which is the process of the hunt, not the shooting of the animal. IMO those types are pretty disgraceful to the eons of hunters who respect the sport and the animals they hunted.

40. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 17:54 Enahs

All you people are getting way to serious over this!

Dead, Charred animal flesh is yummy.
If you hunt it and kill it your self, or buy from a butcher/grocery store, it is still finger lickin’ good!

And if you do not eat meat, man! You are missing out on some good stuff!
If cooked right/ good piece of meat. It is almost as good as sex, but you can get it whenever you want, and as much as you can handle! And you do not need latex to keep from scratching your self for the rest of your life with meat(assuming you cook it right!)
But ya know, if your happy eating veggies…whatever.

Someone made the point, that the way he said it originally, he came across as an jackass, and he has stated that was not his intention, and cleared it up.

Still man, your aim sucks!
And you have not answered me, did you waste the cat meat or get a Vietnamese friend, or call a Vietnamese restaurant?! Heh

"Science is but an organized system of ignorance." (In denial about who said it)

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

39. No subject Sep 3, 2003, 17:43 Bunko

The part that got me was that he said he would do it for free. Then he said it was fun because of the sport. What the fuck kind of sport do you get from killing rather helpless cats?

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

38. Re: Radeon Sep 3, 2003, 17:41 Bunko

There's one on Newegg for $249 but I don't have a link. Prolly should have got that instead of my 5600 Ultra but ATI cards don't have very good linux drivers.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

37. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 17:41 Dr.Haggard

Funny, how these same people don't have any problems with the slaughterhouses they get their meat from which is infinitely more cruel and appalling

Indeed it is, and no one suggested otherwise, you're jumping to conclusions. In fact as a life long vegetarian I have far more respect for meat eaters who do\are prepared to kill their food than those people who don't even think about what it is they're eating, buying prepacked crap off the shelf (and in the process poisoning themselves with all manner of preservatives and other toxic junk).

If you're perfectly happy to go out there and kill something, prepare it and cook it and you're happy with what it is you're consuming then fair enough. Personally I choose not to eat anything that has a face, and the idea of eating flesh disturbs me, but each to their own.

The real problem is the fact that most people never even think about it, and as a result never question, or even know about, the horrific practices of the meat industry they continue to support.

Anyway, I digress. I've waffled long enough, but suffice it to say there has been a lack of definition in this discussion. What myself and several others objected to in the original cat killing post was not the fact that this was necessary culling (a claim which was questionable anyway), but the way in which he went about it and the glorified way he told the story. I'm disturbed by anyone who derives so much fun from such an abhorrent act.

No one suggested that culling wasn't necessary in some cases, and unless I'm mistaken no one suggested that killing animals when necessary, in humane ways, was wrong. (personally I'd happily support the culling of human beings in certain cases ;P)

I do object to hunting for pleasure. Whether it's for justifiable reasons or not, deriving enjoyment from hunting down a defenseless creature and shooting it is inexcusable. This is precisely why a ban on fox hunting here in the UK is imminent, and has huge public support. If animals need culling, fair enough, but treating that regretful and repulsive task as sport and doing it in such a cruel manner cannot be justified.

I hope that perhaps we all understand one another better now.

36. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 16:25 Halsy

Great post, raz. It's funny how people just assume that when someone says hunting that's it's automatically trophy hunting and it's cruel like we're going out clubbing baby seals for a laugh.

/em rolls his eyes.

Funny, how these same people don't have any problems with the slaughterhouses they get their meat from which is infinitely more cruel and appalling. Methinks these selfsame critics need to really take a tour of a slaughterhouse from start to finish.

Ahh well, some people get it and some people don't. At least we do.

Cthulu loves you. On a bun. With catsup.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

35. Re: Saline IV Sep 3, 2003, 15:59 Ihya

Okay I don't do flame war, you can see what most people thought.

That wierd gross bra that fell out of my ceiling is currently going for $121.00 There are some freaky people out there.

34. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2003, 15:39 raz-0

Gee, I like cats (I've had 9 of them over the years), but some of you people are exactly the kind of citified morons the guy is talking about (and yes, for all intents and purposes I'm from a city as well, but at least I understand the problem).

WE are tool users, we use tools. Even for killing.

As for killing cats, they are a REAL vermin problem someplace. And screw country or city, they are a vermin problem introduced BY HUMANS. WE dump them, and they start wiping out the local fauna. This will include your happy house cat. WE bring them there, we caue the problem. Like bob barker, get pissed at the people who don't spay or neuter their cats and then just dump them, not the people who have to clean up the mess. Getting your eyes clawed out by your paniced friends while animal control gasses you with CO2 is not much nicer than geting shot through vital organs.
If you Have about 2 years to wait it out, you can do reduce the population by live trapping and fixing the buggers, but even in a place with as many sympathetic vets as around here, it's impossible to keep up. SOmeplace rural with bigger cat colonies, more food, and less vets to do charity work, you won't even make a dent.

As for deer, unless you noticed a plethora of wolves around your neighborhood, we killed off their predators. Unless you want to watch them starve to death or spread disease like an epidemic (care to google for chronic wasing disease deer) if we don't take up the slack in predation. Around where I live, every few months we get retarded tree huggers who mistake not liking killing for ecology, and every year we have a worse deer starvation problem because they won't expand hunting or dull them. Yes, starving to death is so much more natural and human than being killed by a predator.
Not to mention letting them run rampant and destroy what local ecology we have left by over-grazing it is really good for the environment too.
As for hunting and country living. Which do you think is more humane, a slaughterhouse, or a good heart/lung CNS shot from a .308? I'll give you three guesses after showing you video of what slightly over mimimum wage gets you one some slaughterhouse lines. There are plenty of people who only eat meat they hunt and slaughter themselves because they can't abide by the conditions of the meatpacking industry.

33. No subject Sep 3, 2003, 15:20 ExcessDan

Cats are horrible, wretched creatures that deserve to be mass euthanized.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ExcessDan

32. Re: Saline IV Sep 3, 2003, 15:09 WebDemon

Just ignore Craw, he/she tends to be an idiot.

31. Re: Saline IV Sep 3, 2003, 15:08 Enahs

It looks like were outnumbered though

I still say your biggest problem is your horrible aim!
Like I said in my earlier post
Which was suppose to be humorous by the way!

"Science is but an organized system of ignorance." (In denial about who said it)

- W. C. Fields

30. Re: Saline IV Sep 3, 2003, 15:04 Enahs

SO, after killing all the cats, did you invite some Vietnamese friend over?

No point wasting all that meat!

- W. C. Fields

29. Re: Saline IV Sep 3, 2003, 14:59 ThePDW

"You were both pathetic if the only solution you could come up with is to kill them all."

Thats what you said, but maybe you were only implying that I wanted to kill them all.

28. No subject Sep 3, 2003, 14:26 Nonicknameforme

Blue, if you were supposed to be giving the cat heroin you would not be so complaint filled, now would you?

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

27. Re: Saline IV Sep 3, 2003, 14:23 The Mule

Craw, I didn't kill them all. Why do you have to resort to telling me I have s*** in my head and that I should be gunned down?

Please show me where I say that.

Wow, I love it when people resort to personal attacks. Then I know I'm right!

I love when people resort to misquoting, then I know I am right.

MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
1024 Meg Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS2(2x512 in Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Maxtor 40 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
Maxtor 60 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo