Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty Demo Today - No Exclusive

Activision sends along news that the Call of Duty demo at the center of last night's firestorm (story) will be released this evening all across the internet, with no exclusivity. Here's the deal:

The recent reaction to the upcoming Call of Duty demo has caught us here at Activision by surprise. We're appreciative and excited about the high level of enthusiasm the game has received throughout the gaming community. Due to the tremendous demand for the demo – we are answering the call by not only making the demo freely available to all gamers at the same time, but early – This Friday Night - just in time for the long weekend.

Gamespy has been a great partner - working with us so that we can make our fans happy and give them a taste of a game they're clearly excited about. The demo will be available across the net on fan and gaming coverage sites, including GameSpy's FilePlanet.

We think you'll love Call of Duty, and we can't wait for you to play the demo. Look for it Friday night!

View
230 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

230. Re: How it went down. Aug 30, 2003, 20:15 Stylz

Hellchick rocks. Plain and simple.

So does Blue. I have been coming to this site for years and have NEVER had a problem finding a decent mirror to get my demos from.

SO what Fileplanet has faster DL's..It's a fuckin' game! be patient! But nooooo, what you want to do is post on a board like this and say "Look I got this game yesterday! you gotta wait a week! ha ha ha.." It's all bragging rights..

Demos are ads. They are designed to make you buy a product. You buy the product NOT the demo! It's like a movie trailer..Oh wait, some of you dumbasses PAID to see a Star Wars trailer!!!! No wonder Fileplanet does this, it's easy money!!!!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

229. Re: How it went down. Aug 30, 2003, 17:35 human

rock climber, meezy, you fucking IDIOTS crying that the sky has fallen because of this...take a fucking simple economics class and learn about what capitalism is before you blabble away mindlessly for paragraphs about how this is stifling the free market. The real free market, not the false Reaganite one, absolutely DEPENDS on consumer choice and the free flow of information. We are supposed to vote with our pocketbooks, and gaming sites have the right to refuse to do business with something that they disapprove of. You guys don't like it? Then I think you'd live well in some fascist country where the state-run supermarket can charge anything it likes and you will pay for it because there is no other choice.

The Fileplanet-Activision agreement was not some little venture; it did make money, I am sure, but it was also a counterproductve step for Activision. You whine that people are now just expecting 'everything' to be free. It was a GAME DEMO, for god's sake. Did you forget that? Just as Activision's PR liaison said, they have always been free, because that is in the publisher's interest for it to be so. Publishers WILL foot the bill for demo distribution, because it's simply another (comparitively small) expense of advertising, and those developers who insist on counter-productive demo distribution mechanisms which piss of the public will, eventually, go bankrupt. THAT is the free market, not your bullshit 'oh if you cared at all for this country you'd pay fileplanet to get your demo'.

228. Re: How it went down. Aug 30, 2003, 14:19 Wowbagger_TIP

Glad someone was able to talk sense into activision. Dunno what they're teaching marketing folks these days, but the exclusive release idea was just dumb, from a marketing standpoint.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

227. How it went down. Aug 30, 2003, 08:08 Hump

Hellchicks post over at Planercrap gives her reason on why the exclusive demo thing is NOT good for business. I imagine this is what she told Activisions marketing dept. to show them the error of their ways:

Because we're talking about an online game demo.

Online gamers are a crowd that is savvy enough to know that a demo is a marketing tool. They're also accustomed historically to getting demos for free, because the logic is that a demo should get into as many hands as possible in order to get people playing your game and thus buying your game. And the media here is digital, easy to pass around, and generally not something that the publisher wants to restrict due to legal issues like an mp3. There is almost no cost in terms of physical media to distribute it -- no CDs to press, to sleeves to print, etc., if you were releasing it through a magazine. It's different.

Online gamers are inherent file sharers; they want to give a demo they like to their friends. They want to pony up their own bandwidth to get it out there when their friends say they don't want to wait in a line or they don't want to pay or they simply are getting low downstream from wherever they're trying to get it from.

Online gamers are virulent community members. They browse a particular set of sites and expect to see what they want on those sites.

Online gamers don't want to jump through hoops to get anything. The net is an ADD medium; they want what they want now and if you don't give it to them now they will forget about it in a few days. They also don't want to have to sign up for things, pay for things, etc. if it's a demo, which again, they're savvy enough to know is a marketing tool.

By restricting a demo using sign ups, fees, or any barriers to entry, you're actively discouraging the online crowd from doing what they do naturally: give the file out, give it to friends, and talk about it. You're basically telling them that unless they pay to get what they know is a marketing tool, they're not important enough to you to matter, and that's a slap in the face of the online gamer. And they'll pass that sentiment on to the 8 or so friends they talk to and recommend games to.

As a heads up for the uninitiated, Caryn"Hellchick"Law works at Activision as a sort of liason to the hatdcore game community. She used to work for GSI (though I imagine they aren't exactly overjoyed with her at the moment...heh)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

226. Re: No subject Aug 30, 2003, 00:34 WebDemon

"Thanks F7, even with my registered fileplanet account I can't download it from there =/ (just not loading the pages)."

Boy those Fileplanet accounts sure came in handy tonight! Wow only a few bucks a month for a site that can't hack the load?! Sign me up! LOL I had already played it through three times when the above quote was posted. http://www.gamingasylum.net rocked at almost 200kbs! Enjoy your big plate of crow FP fanboys.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 01:31.

225. Re: It's out! Aug 29, 2003, 22:30  Xymph 

What if you already have the file from another source and would like to share it via BT? Can you do that?
Yes: point your browser at the .torrent (or 'Save As' it to disk, and then double-click it - convenient if you'd need your connection freed up for a while and then like to resume sharing). In the BT client's 'Save As' dialog, select the already completed demo download also on your disk. The client will verify the file against the BT tracker, and then share it.

-- Frans
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans

224. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 22:16 Wowbagger_TIP

It's called a competitive advantage. FilePlanet had a perfectly legitimate one until its competitors whined, colluded, and extorted it away. Such behaviour shouldn't be called capitalism.

Extorted it? Bullcaca. That's business buddy. You don't think that companies in competition play hardball? That IS capitalism in its purest form. And it WAS the consumers that were complaining extremely vociferously as well, or did you not notice the huge threads on this board and many others?

I have yet to see how this situation differs from the case where magazines are packaged with exclusive demos.

It's not different really, but by the time most people know about it, it's usually too late to do anything.

Suppose you own Fox News and I own CNN. If CNN secures an exclusive interview with some VIP no one can get too, is CNN obligated to share it with every other news network immediately?

This isn't an exclusive interview. It's a game demo. An interactive advertisement. That's why Activision made the judgement call that they did. It made good business sense for them.

Either way, it costs the consumer nothing, and the VIP, if they are trying to get their message out, wants it to reach as many people as possible.
Well, it costs the consumer whatever his cable bill is, but that's not the point. If the VIP actually has something they want to get out as widely as possible then doing an exclusive interview may not be the best idea.

But FilePlanet didn't do anything wrong. Gamers have a right to complain, but it's pretty lame of all of FilePlanet's competitors to get together and outmuscle them of something that they earned.

That's the way business works. It's supposed to work that way. They convinced Activision that it was not in its best interest to make the demo exclusive. That's how business works every day in this country and that's how it will continue to be. You're not entitled to anything that you can't secure for yourself.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

223. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 22:14 |o.O|Payback

Santiago. This is not a story on CNN. This is advertising. This is a product giveaway. If Blues and Co don't want to host a program because they feel slighted by the producer of it, they don't have to. Noone is paying them to host the game. Accusing them of some sort of unfair business practices for refusing to do someone else's advertising is sort of silly.

222. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 22:08  Blue 

It would be one thing if it was the CONSUMERS, via some sort of petition, clamored and Activision ceded the point. However, in this case, it was FilePlanet's COMPETITORS that bullied their way into getting want they wanted. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and yes, makes me respect bluesnews a little less.

As someone who cannot even remotely be seen as a competitor of FilePlanet, I'd hope your analysis of this might at least allow for the possibility that my stance on this was intended as being in the best interests of the consumers.

Thanks for sticking up for me Blue, although I don't remember asking you too. Oh wait, perhaps your real motiviation was defending your own website in the face of new and unusual competition. Perhaps you should discuss future tactics with RIAA...

Man, you are just firing blind with a machine gun now, huh? I can't even figure out what you are getting at there.

Gamers have a right to complain, but it's pretty lame of all of FilePlanet's competitors to get together and outmuscle them of something that they earned.

Something they "earned" via muscle.

For the record, gamers did complain, quite vocally, on the forums and in the email of all the sites involved. The sites involved acted on behalf of their audiences. Perhaps you can direct me where I can learn more about who is entitled to complain about things so we don't step out of line in the future.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

221. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 21:53 Santiago

It's called a competitive advantage. FilePlanet had a perfectly legitimate one until its competitors whined, colluded, and extorted it away. Such behaviour shouldn't be called capitalism.

It would be one thing if it was the CONSUMERS, via some sort of petition, clamored and Activision ceded the point. However, in this case, it was FilePlanet's COMPETITORS that bullied their way into getting want they wanted. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and yes, makes me respect bluesnews a little less.

Thanks for sticking up for me Blue, although I don't remember asking you too. Oh wait, perhaps your real motiviation was defending your own website in the face of new and unusual competition. Perhaps you should discuss future tactics with RIAA...

I have yet to see how this situation differs from the case where magazines are packaged with exclusive demos. Suppose you own Fox News and I own CNN. If CNN secures an exclusive interview with some VIP no one can get too, is CNN obligated to share it with every other news network immediately? Either way, it costs the consumer nothing, and the VIP, if they are trying to get their message out, wants it to reach as many people as possible...perhaps Barbara Walters should share all her exclusive interviews with everyone when she gets them. After all, everyone wants to hear want Michael Jackson has to say, and he wants everyone to know what a great guy he is, so why should Barbara keep it too herself?

I don't have a subscription to FilePlanet. I can also totally see how people think exclusive demos are a dumb idea. But FilePlanet didn't do anything wrong. Gamers have a right to complain, but it's pretty lame of all of FilePlanet's competitors to get together and outmuscle them of something that they earned.

-----------------------------------------------------
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!

-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

220. Re: AHHAHAAAA!!! Aug 29, 2003, 21:25 c r i s p y

If their core market wanted a green box with Elvis stickers all over it, they would do that, too.

Hey, that's a great idea! Let's start a petition for this!

---
Chris.

219. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2003, 21:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Perhaps I misunderstand, but why is a solution where by 100% of the population is happy worse than a solution where by 20% (maybe, and thats pushing it) is happy? You still get the same demo, and you get it earlier. You can download from FP servers with no lines and fast speeds, so your money is well spent.

I think I will let Eric Cartman explain this:

Stan: Wow! Look, you guys! Santa got us all Haibo dolls!

[Cartman's joy vanishes] Cartman: Oh, God-damnit!

Kyle: Cartman, I thought all you wanted was a Haibo doll!

Cartman: Yeah, but not if you guys have one, too! Now it's worthless and gay! God-damnit I'll never try to be nice again!

218. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 21:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Oh and by the way, I don't subscribe to Fileplanet - I just support capitalism.
No, capitalism means that consumers are allowed and even encouraged to voice their opinions to the companies they patronize. You seem to think that we should all shut the fuck up and want to call that capitalism. Guess which one of us is closer to communism in this case? Capitalism means that companies try to offer services that people value. It doesn't mean that they are entitled to a damn thing. Gamespy is not entitled to get the demo earlier. Activision (gee, another company that's trying to make money) obviously decided that it's not in their best interests to do an exclusive release. Guess which one of us should shut the fuck up now?

It just encourages people to bitch about the next website-exclusive demo they want to play.

And well they should. And they should keep bitching until companies get it through their skulls that their customers don't like to be kept waiting for no good reason (the fact that the schmucks at gamespy want to make some cash doesn't concern me a bit, because, again, they aren't entitled to a damn thing).

God forbid you have to wait to play a demo because a company wanted to make some money (those greedy bastards!)

Well... going backwards through these posts as I am, I'm seeing that you are a broken record on this. But one more time, slowly now... nobody... is... entitled.. to.. make... a.. profit... it.. is... something... you.. earn... if.. you... have... a... good.. business... plan... and... understand... the... market... you're... dealing... with.

217. Wicked Aug 29, 2003, 20:46 Hunterzyph

Thanks F7, even with my registered fileplanet account I can't download it from there =/ (just not loading the pages).

216. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2003, 20:31 F7

http://www.gamingasylum.net
Track your favorite game servers and buddies! FREE high speed, no wait downloads! NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED! Just the files you want, when you want them.

215. No subject Aug 29, 2003, 20:30 Rictor

http://www.gamingasylum.net

Holy crap! I'm getting over 200 kb/s and sometimes over 250! Cool stuff..

214. No subject Aug 29, 2003, 20:29 Rictor

http://files.worthplaying.com/files/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=search&query=

And they're not doing me a favour. Its caled marketing. When you see a commercial on TV, is that company doing you a favour? See my previous post. This way, everyone is happy, so what the problem.

213. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 20:28 Bob

Oh and by the way, I don't subscribe to Fileplanet - I just support capitalism.

212. Re: It's out! Aug 29, 2003, 20:26 Bronco

I don't know but I doubt it.

Shame. I'll have it in about 5 minutes. If anybody knows how to do that let me know and I'll add my little bit 'o bandwidth to the ocean.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
And don't blame society, for all the evidence here, you are a sociopath.

-TPFKAS2S

211. Re: Lame Aug 29, 2003, 20:25 Bob

It's lame because they shouldn't have caved under the pressure. It just encourages people to bitch about the next website-exclusive demo they want to play. "Oh my God, I can't play the Deer Hunter demo for 5 more days!". Tough shit, buddy. We're not talking about Mother Teresa-type patience here.

And it's not like they HAVE to give you a demo, either. They are doing you a favor, which makes it twice as stupid when people whine about it. Games like Morrowind never had a demo and it did just fine (there's already 2 expansions), so it's hard to say for sure that a demo is going to make them more money (alot of demos do the opposite).

230 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo