Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty Demo Today - No Exclusive

Activision sends along news that the Call of Duty demo at the center of last night's firestorm (story) will be released this evening all across the internet, with no exclusivity. Here's the deal:

The recent reaction to the upcoming Call of Duty demo has caught us here at Activision by surprise. We're appreciative and excited about the high level of enthusiasm the game has received throughout the gaming community. Due to the tremendous demand for the demo we are answering the call by not only making the demo freely available to all gamers at the same time, but early This Friday Night - just in time for the long weekend.

Gamespy has been a great partner - working with us so that we can make our fans happy and give them a taste of a game they're clearly excited about. The demo will be available across the net on fan and gaming coverage sites, including GameSpy's FilePlanet.

We think you'll love Call of Duty, and we can't wait for you to play the demo. Look for it Friday night!

View
230 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

170. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 16:02 WebDemon

I think that may be going a little far but what this whole thing may serve to do is make game companies take a hard look at these exclusive deals. In the whole scheme of things, there's not a whole lot in it for them. Good reviews, but they can be killed quickly in forums like this as we all know. The reciever of the exclusive is the one who really reaps the benefits. With this I think the community as a whole has sent a clear message that point directly to the "line in the sand" that has been crossed. We will not be paying for this stuff thank you very much. In fact, I'd be surprised if we see another exclusive public demo any time in the near future because that message was recieved by a very high profile company. Others will follow suit becuase Activision come out of this smelling like a rose and Gamespy with egg on it's collective face. So no, I don't think we'll see boycotts for every little thing like screeshots or movies, but as for puplic demos, I don't think you'll have to see this again because it won't happen again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

169. Sweet Aug 29, 2003, 16:01 JediLuke

Woohoo! I'll be too drunk to play this tonight, but that's sweet all the same.

~Steve

P.S. Largely unrelated question... is there anyway to set up bittorrent to download a file and then exit upon completion? I know the idea is to share, but I have upsteam limits, and if I leave the computer I don't want to be uploading the whole time.

168. Re: #166 Aug 29, 2003, 15:58 MonsieurEvil

Well, that was my previous correction, not my previous point. You darned prankster! Heh.

167. #166 Aug 29, 2003, 15:55 Morgan19

I take it no one has an answer to my previous point, so we're all going to ignore it and its implications?

Oh, sorry. Mmm... I wish the edit button worked too?

m19

166. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 15:50 MonsieurEvil

I take it no one has an answer to my previous point, so we're all going to ignore it and its implications?

165. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 15:48 WebDemon

Damn thing won't let me edit posts.... anyhoo.

Think about it this way, if all this takes hold. You are paying in nieghborhood of $40-$60 cdn a moth for broadband, then say 9.95/mo for this and 6.95/mo for that but don't forget about the $24.99 for music dl's and another 9.99/mo to play this. You get the picture. This is why this gets people hackles up so much. I can afford it, but are you prepared to tack a whole whack of other stuff onto your internet tab for the month? The internet, though it makes a TON of money for a lot of people is still pretty much totally unexploited and still wide open, but they're starting to make inroads like this. Christ you've got your hand in your wallet everytime you turn around in the real world as it is. We don't need it on the internet too.

164. Again Aug 29, 2003, 15:44 Maestro

I like how so many are willing to support one companies right to sell rather than be human about its business practices. Oh wait, forget my naivety, I failed to remember that fucking each other over so that we can have the RIGHT to feel exclusive about our selves is human.

My sarcasm aside, I would gladly make sacrifices to my self for the benefit of the community (as I see it, and usually love it) than to support a corporations right to make money so they can further sponsor efforts to find ever more creative ways to separate said money, from my wallet.

If you want to support the mechanism of capitalism then say something for either side. If both sides get fair say then the system worked. In this case the consumer won IMO. All we did is draw a line in the sands of what we are willing to tolerate. I can see nothing more democratic than that.

163. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 15:36 WebDemon

I don't need to try it because Usenet or BT alway give you smoking fast DL speeds with reliabilty. Hey don't get me wrong, to each his own. If you guy want to pay for this "service" then be my guest but I can gaurentee you that fileplanet is not helping you in any way shape or form. If you're getting ANYTHING "exclusive" from fileplanet, I can gaurentee you that I can get the same thing elsewhere and legally within the hour or you having it. So I ask why encourage these companies? From experience, IGN offered the same thing with their Insider program. Of course my idiot brother hooks up with it and quickly realizes within a week that I can get everything that he's paying a "premium service" for. And for free to boot. They are taking advantage of people who either don't know or can't be bothered looking around. Sure it's business but try as you might, you just can not polish a turd. It's just the tip of a very big and very ugly iceberg if this sort of this begins to take old on the web.

162. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 15:24 Trebek

WebDemon,

That was not a generalized response to everyone, it was in response to the childish post by SubHuman. If you don't wanna' buy it, don't buy it - I could give a damn.

However, don't demoralize the FilePlanet subscription if you haven't tried it - you have no factual base to create an argument, you can only post theoretically speaking.

Also, everyone has stereotyped the people that have a FilePlanet subscription to only having it for demos. I hardly download any demos, I have the subscription for quick, fast-paced, downloading - and to get pretty much any file I want. Sure, there are other download sites out there, but not as reliable as FilePlanet. However, you can't argue this statement, because you haven't tried it.

Go back to the drawing board and reanylize your misconceptuous thoughts. Please, if you don't have facts - don't argue it.

161. Re: Congratulations! Aug 29, 2003, 15:21 MonsieurEvil

Grrr @ edit button.

'unfair' and 'righteously'

160. Re: Congratulations! Aug 29, 2003, 15:19 MonsieurEvil

Not to mention the uncountable number of 'your retarted' postings. Like being run over by a train carrying 8000 tons of irony...

Speaking of which, what happens now to all the other types of exclusives that are present on Internet gaming websites? If Shacknews gets an exclusive interview with Warren Spector about DeusEx2, does that mean that all other sites will boycott interviewing him? How about screenshots - if Worthplaying gets a few exclusive Doom3 shots, does that mean that all other websites will boycott any more press media from iD? What the heck, isn't it undfair that publishers get exclusive rights to distribute a developer's game? Activision should let Sierra and Atari in on the action also instead of being all greedy with those darned profits!

And I'm spent...

ps: I realise that Warren Spector was a bad example, since no one in their right mind would want to listen to him blather on self-riteously about game theory.

159. gamespy..... Aug 29, 2003, 15:03 tempus

MY understanding, is that gamespy got a huge amount of money from disney or some such entity and blew through it in like 6 months, but then again, what do i know?  
http://www.excelbydesign.net/tempus

Point winamp to http://tempustemper.no-ip.org:8000
or don't....

158. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 15:03 WebDemon

"It's not my problem I can afford one and you can't

Why is it that everytime this aguement pops up the subscriber fanbois always resort to this response. It's not about affording it. Not to brag, but I probably pull down more $ a year than the vast majority of this board. My not forking over for a subscription to fileplanet isn't cheap it's the principal of it. Why pay for "no wait" demos at fileplanet when I can just as easily get it from BitTorrent or the newsgroups within minutes of release with no waiting if all the mirrors are jammed. DEMOS ARE FREE they always have been. That's why it's called a DEMO as in DEMONSTRATION. Every business is entitled to make money but if the masses don't go for it then you have to re-evaluate. Frankly people who actually pay for this stuff are either too lazy or too stupid to find an alternate download source IMHO. It's not about stealing or being sneaky or getting something for nothing. It's about being fleeced by a corporation that knows it can take advatage of the simple minded and lazy. I'm sick of the "my sh*t doesn't stink" attitude of the FilePlanet zealots that actually fork over for this stuff when all of a sudden things aren't going thier way. DON"T BE PISSED BECAUSE YOU GOT SUCKED INTO PAYING FOR CONTENT THAT WE ALL GET FOR FREE. The subscriberbois have every right to be mad. Nobody likes to be laughed at when they realize that they're being screwed.
BTW look it up and see how the subscriber model is going over oh so well at starwars.com.

157. Re: Congratulations! Aug 29, 2003, 14:49 Nuhauser

Jaguart: "Well done. It was impressive to see that in all the chaos, not one poster misspelled "ridiculous" and only a couple spelled definitely "definately". Clearly, cooler heads prevailed here."

Yeah, but have you counted the number of "congradulations"?

156. heh Aug 29, 2003, 14:25 Wowbagger_TIP

is gamespy publicly traded? maybe rock climber has gamespy stock or something... only reason i can think of that he thinks they should have some deity-given right to make money regardless of what activision and activision's potential customers want. a demo is an ad. ads are most effective when viewed by the maximum number of people possible. gamespy wants us to pay them for access to these ads? that's a business plan? this isn't 1998 anymore, they're gonna have to do better than that. if activision's customers don't like exclusive deals like this, then why should activision do it? because gamespy can't make any money otherwise? who cares? the sooner gamespy goes under, the sooner we can be rid of their crappy software. maybe i should start a company with a counter-intuitive, hell.. downright retarded, business plan. maybe rock climber will yell at everyone that i deserve to be paid regardless of the realities of the market. i could retire young!

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

155. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 14:24 Merc248

i remember a serious sam site got rear ended by a nazi gamespy administrator, just because they weren't getting any hits on fileplanet through the site when they were putting up mirrors for various SS patches and such.

-------------
GNSProject.com News Cronie
*What I say is my opinion only, and does not reflect the site I work at.

154. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 14:24 Rico

Ok i think we have covered every issue on the matter of exclusive vs non exclusive, subscription sites, whining children and what-not..

So, to put it simply, anyone know what time we can expect this demo? Being in the UK and working on GMT time zones it means Friday night is looming and i have to debate the matter of going out and getting lashed, or merely playing this awesome game.

Oh the choices!

153. Re: Gamespy deserves to die Aug 29, 2003, 14:11 MonsieurEvil

Maybe it's just me, but after watching some movie footage today (oh, it was from Gamespy - how COULD I??? ), I find this game itself to look about as innovative as cheddar cheese. Another MoH-series clone cash-in, in itself RTCW cash-in, in itself a DoD cash-in, and so on. All this hullabalooh from fans and extortion by websites over a game that is not particularly interesting. I was expecting Half Life after all the ruckus, and what I saw was Kingpin...

And what was gained? A generation of whining children that are notable only for their 'me-first' impatience was caved in to yet again. Activision might as well be the parents of some of these posters here - unable to say no and follow their own commitments, leading to a nice cycle of tiresome teens. Be sure to tell your parents that Christmas no longer has the exclusive right to presents - from now on you should be able to open all your gifts immediately after purchase in November.

Bleh! Bring back the draft and put these kids out on a 4-hour OP/LP.

152. To all upset Aug 29, 2003, 14:01 Darkhand Brackstone

I haven't been involved or spoken on the matter until this point. Heck I'm just assuming call of duty is just another WWII game. But I wanted to throw in my two cents anyway.

I think anyone who is upset over the fact that the demo is not exlusive probably pays for a subscription to fileplanet.

There ya go! My two cents!

151. The economist in all of us... Aug 29, 2003, 13:58 jm0ris0n

I think a lot of you have forgotten, or never heard of the invisible hand . Here is a page on adam smith to read a bit more on the subject http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Biographies/Philosophy/Smith.htm#Wealth

"He generally, indeed, neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it. By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry, he intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.

230 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo