Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Q&A

The Half-Life 2 Interview on Computer and Video Games catches up with Valve's Doug Lombardi at ECTS to pepper him with a few questions about Half-Life 2. In this first part of a two parter, they discuss where development stands and scripted versus freeform plot elements. In a separate story they also quote Doug as reiterating their September 30 release date, saying: "the release date is unchanged."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Under Rock Aug 29, 2003, 22:34 |o.O|Payback

i wonder why they dont get any news about HL2 though

No broadband. They can't stop the sheep from chewing the internet lines.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Then When Is It Gold Aug 29, 2003, 17:46 Vermilion

"Normally, software goes gold 1-2 months before shipping."

Not entertainment software. Most games are in stores within two weeks of going gold. I remember that Quake3 went gold on November 21 of 1999 and was officially released on December 5th, though a number of places had the game even earlier.

17. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2003, 16:37 Royal Fool

"To clarify, if you buy hl2 over steam you need to connect to the internet every time you want to play it to verify that you are authorised to dl it."

Well, that sort of answers my question regarding the piracy part. The idea of verifying the game every time hadn't even crossed my mind.

16. Re: Under Rock Aug 29, 2003, 15:28 Vladislav

I want to live in Under Rock

http://www.btinternet.com/~underock/photos.html

it looks like a nice place.
i wonder why they dont get any news about HL2 though?

http://mercyful-fate.coven.vmh.net/

15. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2003, 15:17 kyleb

man i need to find a really big rock and build a house under it...

14. No subject Aug 29, 2003, 14:15 garry

hl2 needs steam to run.

once you've played multiplayer every time you want to play hl2 you must connect to the internet and verify that it's a legic copy.

if you buy hl2 over steam it will always need steam to run. You can of course share your steam account with a friend for them to dl hl2 - if you don't mind sharing your credit card details and address with them.

To clarify, if you buy hl2 over steam you need to connect to the internet every time you want to play it to verify that you are authorised to dl it.

13. Re: Then When Is It Gold Aug 29, 2003, 13:51 Gen. Hospital

How 'bout this steam-business... I don't know a lot about it. It's a subscription service or what? If they could limit the number of ddl they could probably release HL2 on it. On the other hand... These guys worked on The Game for 5 years, and nobody new shit. Maybe they've secretly built Steam servers all over the world? (Maybe it's a 'take over the world' type thing. I just saw t3, and man that Skynet is pretty bad...

12. Re: Then When Is It Gold Aug 29, 2003, 13:37 Royal Fool

I find it strange how they could release it over Steam... the platform is hardly ready, just imagine the server load. Then there's of course the issue of obtaining CD-keys, piracy (Must be easy to spread a game you just download) and the huge file size.

11. Re: Then When Is It Gold Aug 29, 2003, 12:44 garry

I agree with the steam guys getting it first theory.

10. Re: Then When Is It Gold Aug 29, 2003, 12:41 Skobar

Dont need to go gold if they release on steam

I think it will probably get release on steam on the 30th but like a month later boxed..

They want to make money, you know...

9. Then When Is It Gold Aug 29, 2003, 12:21 kanniballl

I'm hopign for a September release too, but I have my doubts.

Normally, software goes gold 1-2 months before shipping. We're already a month from the supposed date, and still no word on it going gold. Sure, they could be keeping it under their hats, but I find it unlikely.

I'm hoping to get it next month (I pre-ordered it a few months ago on ebgames.com), but I have my doubts.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: living under a rock Aug 29, 2003, 11:31 DannoHung

Oh come on, it'd still have been the biggest (or possibly second biggest due to the DooM3) title of E3 even if it was a totally original title from an unheard of developer.

It's just BIGGER because it's the sequel of one of the best games ever AND Valve is known for doing quality work.

I'm a soooooooong from the sixties.

7. Re: living under a rock Aug 29, 2003, 11:05 anon@216.23

Or "Unless you ejaculate over the thought of playing a game made popular only by it's previous title's accolades...."

6. Re: WOOT! Aug 29, 2003, 09:02 DeaderMeat

I never trust anything that's reported at Computer and Video Games, so now I'm worried

Still I've got this on pre-order, so I'm still crossing my fingers - I don't know quite when I'll get it because I thought games normally come out on a Friday in the UK (also my local GAME has a November date for HL2).

5. Re: living under a rock Aug 29, 2003, 07:23 Da-Fly

Of course it is possible that someone living under a rock might actually know about HL2 being in development.

A more accurate phrase would be 'Unless you live under a rock which somehow shields you from receiving news...'

4. Re: living under a rock Aug 29, 2003, 06:11 garry

good job your opinion doesnt mean jack shit

3. living under a rock Aug 29, 2003, 04:28 Kreilo

"Unless you've been living under a rock ..." How many stupid ass gaming previews/interviews have to start with this expression. And what purpose does it really serve? To show how "in tune" the writer is? To reassure the audience in-the-know that they are? To insult those that are not ("yes, I have been living under a rock, fuvm."). I hate crappy writing. I'm such a whiney bitch. But seriously. I hate that expression.

2. Re: WOOT! Aug 29, 2003, 04:09 garry

hopefully!

Shit, i'm gonna have to play with this shitty geforce 4ti4600 until ive bought a car..

wait.. fuck the car.

1. WOOT! Aug 29, 2003, 02:35 SM0k3

woot, release date unchanged.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo