Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo II Patch Update

A forum post on Battle.net by Blizzard's GFrazier gives a status report on the upcoming version 1.10 patch for Diablo II (thanks Ant). Here's the deal: "We're making good progress toward the final release of Diablo II 1.10. It is now our highest priority. Thanks for your help testing the patch. Thanks for your patience in waiting for this patch. This is by far the largest patch we've ever made in terms of game changes. This is about 1/2 of an expansion worth of new content. As such it requires a lot of testing. Keep on battling."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: My god.. Aug 28, 2003, 10:44 Wookiestick

Well, actually Bloodknight, you brought up something I hadn't taken into consideration. My thoughts..
"..would hazard a guess, they will largely make NO money off this, because I doubt they are going to have a notable boost in Diablo 2 sales after the patch. This is for the hardcore fans that after 2+ years are still playing.."

You reply..
"No money? You know how many people are buying Diablo 2 back? The EB clerks were stunned when I asked them if they had diablo 2, telling me "Not another"

I guess I explained my thoughts rather shoddily there, When I said it will not boost sales--I believed its not going to pull in entirely new players. But you're right Knight, it COULD boost sales for players that USED to play-- but have long since ebayed their copies, given it to friends, lost, etc.

Love thy wookie.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: My god.. Aug 28, 2003, 09:21 BloodKnight

No money? You know how many people are buying Diablo 2 back? The EB clerks were stunned when I asked them if they had diablo 2, telling me "Not another"

11. No subject Aug 28, 2003, 01:51 super_emu

thank god..
one down.. couple thousand more to go, and thegame will be free of whiners.

10. No subject Aug 28, 2003, 01:13 PHJF

You asses don't understand because you are not Diablo players. I have logged over 200 hours at least.

People wanted this patch because there are hacked items and cheaters all over Battle.net. The new crap is trivial; all we want is a clean, fair playing environment and they failed horribly to deliver that to us.

And anybody that has been following this 1.10 patch since it's birth would have taken note at the MANY times Blizzard themselves said the patch was nearing completion and would be out any day. Hey guess what, it still isn't here.

Finally in discusion of the patch itself.
There are no new monsters, there are no new skills, and there are no new areas (assuming you dont count the *gasp* mythical world event thing). All that have been changed are skill power, monster power, monster location, monster skills, and some new items and runewords (which boils down to just editing a few words and numbers; big freakin whoop, WHAT an accomplishment). Supposedly drops have been increased. In a bad move MF was removed for bosses (items that boosted your chance to find good items no longer work on act bosses and certain mini bosses like Pindleskin).

So in conclusion what this all boils down to is deceit on the part of Blizzard North. Before this game was finished they said new items and monsters and runewords would be added to the game seemlessly. They proclaimed a five man team would constantly watch for cheaters on the realms. And most of all, they promised a HACK FREE ENVIRONMENT ON THE REALMS.

1.10? I'm not waiting any more. Blizzard, screw you.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Doh! Aug 28, 2003, 00:17 ZzeusS

Diablo 2? My god.. how many times can you replay the same game?

7. Doh! Aug 27, 2003, 23:26 Jerry S Ku

Doh! I played through Diablo 2 when it first came out (just normal difficulty), had fun, but didn't see a reason to play it more. Recently I reinstalled the game and have sunk 25+ hours into the game, been so long since i played.. it's like it's totally new. I wish I had known the 1.10 patch was such a game changer.... i would've put off the whole endeavor until then.

The improvements listed on the Blizzard site are massive.... reading strategy guides for Diablo 2, you can tell a great deal of players, like me, find much of the game skills to be severely flawed or useless!

6. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2003, 23:23 Creston

So besides upping the difficulty, anyone know what they're adding?

A lot of it is items, runewords, and I believe they've changed quite a bit in character skills and such (how they work, which order they come in, prerequisites etc). Monster abilities have been turned upside down, global changes etc.

While it is without a doubt a massive patch, there is nobody in his right mind who'd ever buy it as an expansion pack, or at least I hope so, because there is nothing really NEW. Sure, some items have +2 to that instead of +3 to this, but other than that it's just changing the internals of the system.

Having said that, this IS free, and it is a (small) breath of fresh air into an old game, so I don't really see any justification for complaints. I've never seen another developer bring out a patch for a 4 year old game. Might be the last good thing Blizzard ever does...

Creston

5. My god.. Aug 27, 2003, 23:13 Wookiestick

As far as I'm concerned, these complaints are unwarranted. They're releasing this for FREE, for god's sakes. Don't like it--? hell, just don't use bnet and stick with 1.0x! If I would hazard a guess, they will largely make NO money off this, because I doubt they are going to have a notable boost in Diablo 2 sales after the patch. This is for the hardcore fans that after 2+ years are still playing! Theres not many devs that offer this kind of support several game projects later!

Love thy wookie.

4. No subject Aug 27, 2003, 22:37 D4rkKnight

Alot of crap, it is like 1/2 an ex pack. Regardless its taken WAY to long to get to this stage

3. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2003, 22:01 nin

This is about 1/2 of an expansion worth of new content.

So besides upping the difficulty, anyone know what they're adding?

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.kenandrews.com/

http://henryandheidi.libsyn.com/rss

2. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2003, 20:08 Unmaker

You can't argue that they've been ignoring us. Dragging their feet maybe, but not ignoring.

1. No subject Aug 27, 2003, 19:48 PHJF

It's whose highest priorty?

It's one thing to stop supporting a game nobody plays, but when a fanbase as huge as Diablo II's gets ignored for all that time that's just poor work from the dev.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo