Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UXO Preview

HomeLan Fed Exclusives Ultima X Odyssey Preview offer their hands-on impressions of the upcoming MMORPG based on checking it out at the recent press unveiling. Here's a bit:

So what about the combat? The dev team of Ultima X wanted to avoid what they called “ sandwich combat”, i.e. you encounter an enemy in another MMORPG, begin your combat then leave the computer to get a sandwich and return to see your character finally defeat your enemy. Based on our playtest of the game, Ultima X’s gameplay will not feel like that at all. Our combat felt more like a real time conflict with the ability to use special attacks at will rather than wait for your turn to begin. The combat system really makes you feel like a participant in the game.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Am I the only one here... Sep 4, 2003, 15:12 Radioflyer

I've been catching up with some of the reviews from the big event they just had. Lot's of good stuff. I
m pretty excited in general about the return to the Avatar storyline. Plus if they're planning on putting in as many quests as they say then I'm going to be a happy gamer!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Am I the only one here... Sep 2, 2003, 15:59 Ashlar Ziven

if you want to gripe somewhere the devs listen to you, i suggest visiting uxoo.com . we have a couple of the devs captive there and they are nice enough to make themselves known.

this is shaping up to be a fantastic game!

23. Re: Am I the only one here... Aug 26, 2003, 10:49 Radioflyer

Boards are easiest places to gripe. But that's the beauty of em! Anyway, yes there are tons of MMORPGs either out or in production, but that to me is just fine. It means more to try. They are after all games, although I'm sure there are a fair amount of gamers who think otherwise. It'd be great if some of these publishers that have more than one MMO title could offer a subscription package for multiple games to those of us who like to dabble.

22. Re: Am I the only one here... Aug 26, 2003, 00:02 Chance

IrieCat: "but yet here, where few have seen the game...its gripe gripe gripe."

I think they just like to. Gripe that is. There isn't a game related thread on this board where there isn't a lot of that.

21. Re: Am I the only one here... Aug 25, 2003, 16:47 IrieCat

I personally like the graphics...I think they work well to the whole fantasy idea (said that on another board post here too) and just honestly don't get the big gripe here...almost all that saw that game with their own eyes are VERY impressed, but yet here, where few have seen the game...its gripe gripe gripe. Now I am not going out to say this game is going to be the best ever- because again, I havn't seen the game, but I am going to trust those out there with their word that the game looks great and that the next Ultima game is all that because the guys there generally know their stuff. I am going to take that word to go and play the game and make up my own mind. ANyways, as I said, I think that the graphics look good. And I am excited that they have abanondonded the annoying point and click click click go to the bathroom and have a drink come back and monster is dead..that momentum thing sounds really great.

20. AI (was:Re: seems extremely exploitable) Aug 25, 2003, 11:37 Troll

We got 3d engines, sound engines, physics engines, scripting engines but not a good AI engine, WTF???]

But at this point, I don't see how games could share a common "AI engine." ]

Commercial AI engines:

AI implant http://www.ai-implant.com/
RenderWare AI http://www.renderware.com/renderwareai.html
DirectIA http://www.directia.com/
SimBionic http://www.stottlerhenke.com/products/index.htm

19. Am I the only one here... Aug 25, 2003, 08:26 cyxxon

who thinks that the graphics looked crappy as hell? I mean, what does "latest Unreal technology" mean if the video looks like the first Unreal technology? The video presented us with some mediocre designed levels, extremely bad designed/textured PCs/NPCs and stupid combat.
Is that the only thing players need to get from a MMORPG? I thought is was at least a little about RPG, but nowadays people seem to be really happy to eat that kinda sh*t dev's thow at them.
No, I am not saying that every new game is bad, or even most, just some, and lotsa sequels among them.
Don't they ever learn? It's the same as with the music biz, I guess. Throw some Britney at them, kids are gonna buy it, sales up. In a year, throw Britney II at them. Kids are gonna buy it. Well. And then. When we are at Britney X, I guess even them kids will notice they are just given the same ol' shyte over and over.

Sorry for my ranting.

18. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 25, 2003, 05:30 LarryLaffer

120 Wow. Only ones I can think of are.

1. Meridian 59
2. Ultima Online
3. Everquest
4. Star Wars Online
5. Anarcy Online
6. Asheron's Call 1 & 2
8. Shadowbane
9. Earth and Beyond
10. Eve Online
11. Lineage
12. Dark Age of Camelot
13. A Tale in the Desert

Damn I guess there is more than 10. But I wasn't counting "in production" for that would just inflate the #'s since not all of those games are gonna make it to market so why count them.

Laffman...

17. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 25, 2003, 02:51 Creston

I mean there is what less than 10 MMORPG's

You need to work on that attention span a little better LarryLaffer. There are currently over 120 MMORPGS in production or released, and that number is still growing. Quite frankly, I think there are more MMORPGS being worked on than FPS games.

Creston

16. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 25, 2003, 01:47 JediLuke

To make a long rant short, I wish more money was spent on AI then on making a MMO game work. Im suprised that there isnt an AI engine yet. We got 3d engines, sound engines, physics engines, scripting engines but not a good AI engine, WTF???

Because that doesn't make sense from a programming standpoint. Graphics engines can be re-used because lots of games have similar basic graphics requirements. The graphics engine takes the 3D data and renders it to the screen. A physics engine simulates the physical interaction of objects. But at this point, I don't see how games could share a common "AI engine." AI is too dependent on everything else in the game, including how the graphics are handled, what the gameplay is like, how the AI interacts with the player, etc. Maybe at some point we'll havea "general AI engine" with some templates in it, but developers would still have to code specific behaviors for different characters... I dunno, I guess it could be done, seems kinda impractical now though.

And there are lots and lots and lots of MMORPGs in development. No one is going to play them. The concept is interesting, but I think the MMORPG market in general is going to fail if it keeps to its current course.

~Steve

15. Re: Can anyone say Ultima VIII revised? Aug 25, 2003, 01:30 wasrad

well, IMO, there are no good MMO games. UO USED to be good, excluding the technical issues that jsut happen with MMO games but the rest is just ass. There are alot of good FPS games, thoughm and more on the way. Theres also shitty ones there and on the way, as we all know.

Poontang!

14. Re: Can anyone say Ultima VIII revised? Aug 25, 2003, 01:28 Chance

bob: "Saying there are more FPS's than MMORPG may be technically true, but you have to remember that a big chunk of the FPS's out there are total garbage."

Well, from what I can tell the great majority of the MMORPGs out there are total garbage too. *shrug* When it comes to CRPGs online I prefer the NWN model -- rather like the standard paper and pencil model. A referee and a small tight nit group of players (although I know it can be hard to find a good group). When they perfect the DM tools and make it FP then I'll be happy. A DM provides better "AI" than a computer anyway...

13. Re: Can anyone say Ultima VIII revised? Aug 25, 2003, 00:32 Bob

Saying there are more FPS's than MMORPG may be technically true, but you have to remember that a big chunk of the FPS's out there are total garbage.

So the ratio is about 50/50 once you allow for the garbage.

12. Can anyone say Ultima VIII revised? Aug 24, 2003, 22:22 Hanneth

From what I can tell UXO is very much along the lines of Ultima VIII. Toss the word virtue in there, and turn Ultima in to an action game. Don't they ever learn from past mistakes. Ultima VIII was considered the worst Ultima ever and they seam to be trying to copy the "success" of it.

11. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 24, 2003, 21:59 .Drifter

LMAO.
Everything you just said about MMORPG's can be said about FPS too.
Remember Q3? FPS, not what a lot of people were thinking it would be. Some liked it, some didn't.
And how about UT? Once again, some liked some didn't, result was UT2K3.
Well, they did have a single player component, very defined in that you killed everything against you to get to the next thing to kill, then killed that thing too.
Oh, combat FPS might not have been all you were talking about, so I'll add halflife.
I liked the game all right, but did not think it was that great.
All I got out of the game was a good story, true, but level after level of things jumping out and attacking you.
Once again, HL being considered a great game in SP, was still overshadowed by Multiplayer and all its MOD's.
Which just goes to show no matter how great a SP experience is, MP, whether in FPS or MMORPG, is what more people seem to want.

10. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 24, 2003, 19:25 wasrad

As far as FPS games, it is all about how the game actually uses that perspective.

MMO games though, are a development blackhole. No one is ever happy with anything and when they are, someone else isnt happy and it is jsut this one big mess. Single player FPS games, though, can be very well defined.

To make a long rant short, I wish more money was spent on AI then on making a MMO game work. Im suprised that there isnt an AI engine yet. We got 3d engines, sound engines, physics engines, scripting engines but not a good AI engine, WTF???

9. Jeez Aug 24, 2003, 19:19 wasrad

I jsut wish MMO games would just fucking die already.

a good single player game is worth alot more than some damn monster hunter and item collector game.

Fucking really.

I guess MMO games are for peole who dont ahve anything better to do, so I guess that just that much less competition in the REAL world that I have to deal with.

8. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 24, 2003, 17:48 LarryLaffer

Only one thing worse than another MMORPG and that is another ho hum FPS (Doom/Half Life anyone) I mean there is what less than 10 MMORPG's and probably close to 200 hundred if not more FPS.

Laffman...........

Don't slam the MMORPG there are less of them than any other category of game. We need more MMORPG we need more adventure. FPS if they quit making them for about 5 years then I'd say it would be time for another.

7. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 24, 2003, 17:35 Bob

yay another MMORPG

6. Re: seems extremely exploitable... Aug 24, 2003, 17:29 Lord_Darkmoon

Thsi isn't UO at all. This not even related to UO.
This is a sequel to the single-player Ultimas which is played online.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo