Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Huzzah and kudos to Chatbear's Bagpuss for taking a bunch of time yesterday to iron out a few things on the forums here that have helped smooth out their operation a bit. He's quite a busy guy with enough on his plate to keep him altogether too occupied to start with, and I can't thank him enough for his efforts.

Links of the Day: Visible Human Server
Stories of the Day: Pop-ups annoy, but do they work?
Image of the Day: FoxTrot. Thanks Warpig.
Wild Science: Robot spy can survive battlefield damage.
Passports and Visas to Add High-Tech Identity Features (registration required).
New planetoid named after rain god.
Weird Science: Mars Is Getting Close, and Maybe So Are Those Little Green Men (registration required)?
Incoming!
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: Whats the frequency kenneth... Aug 26, 2003, 08:37 nin

Well bang my bongos and call me Desi!

I'm sure fredster will take you up on that if you ask him nicely...

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.kenandrews.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Whats the frequency kenneth... Aug 25, 2003, 21:59 Bronco

Page views and visitors are more important than clickthrough for this site, but clickthrough is still an issue for any website.

For better or worse, the number clicks is still used by those who buy ad space as the prime evidence that a campaign is working.

Well bang my bongos and call me Desi!

While you are in the answering mood answer me this:

Are the pop-ups (not a problem) with sound (kind of a problem) supposed to show up with greater frequency than the takeover? They are for me and if I'm seeing them I want to be certain you are getting credit for them. I spent some time yesterday making certain that the ads from this site do show up on my computer.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
And don't blame society, for all the evidence here, you are a sociopath.

-TPFKAS2S

65. Re: Whats the frequency kenneth... Aug 25, 2003, 21:15  Blue 

I'm not clear on whether Blue gets paid on baner clicks or page views (or however it works).

This is a top ten question. I'm guessing that Blue is not allowed to answer this question. It has been asked at least a dozen times and he has never responded to it.

Page views and visitors are more important than clickthrough for this site, but clickthrough is still an issue for any website.

For better or worse, the number clicks is still used by those who buy ad space as the prime evidence that a campaign is working.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

64. Non IE browsers and mIRC. Aug 25, 2003, 16:26 Siward

Anyone here happen to know how I would change the default browser within mIRC (version 6.03) so that any URLs I click within the chat would open in Firebird, rather than IE?

63. Re: Whats the frequency kenneth... Aug 25, 2003, 16:00 Soupkin

right on guys im cool too and ads kick ass
lets all click teh banners!!!

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

62. Re: Whats the frequency kenneth... Aug 25, 2003, 12:52 Bronco

I'm not clear on whether Blue gets paid on baner clicks or page views (or however it works).

This is a top ten question. I'm guessing that Blue is not allowed to answer this question. It has been asked at least a dozen times and he has never responded to it.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
And don't blame society, for all the evidence here, you are a sociopath.

-TPFKAS2S

61. Actually... Aug 25, 2003, 11:28 MeatForce

It turns out the best browser around is Safari for OSX, but alas, as with most things Apple, the world will never know...

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

60. Dear Soup... Aug 25, 2003, 10:35 nin

Until a better solution is available, you either get the site with ads, or the site goes away.

Suck it up. Thanks.

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

59. Whats the frequency kenneth... Aug 25, 2003, 10:33 Hump

Blue?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

58. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 10:24 Halsy

Right on, Armengar. A free service and they're that ungrateful they can't cope with a few ads to support a good guy?
Let them head head elsewhere. Not like you're not going to contend with ads anywhere else these days.

Cthulu loves you. On a bun. With catsup.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

57. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 09:20 Armengar

STFU soupkin and piss off to another site. To all the fucking whiners out there complaining about the ads, it is 2/3 fucking clicks people. Click on the damn ads every now and again to help a guy who spends his own time sorting out a news site that you read.

If you dont like it then stick to slashdot and dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

56. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 07:30 Soupkin

Blue havent you made enough money for your new car? cut the ads out jerk.  
Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

55. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 05:26 Hump

As previously mentioned in this thread, anyone on the fence about Mozilla/Firebird/Opera should download Avant

I just installed it (no spyware here kids) this thing is great! So damned fast. Thanks for the heads up.

-Hump

PAH!

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

54. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 04:09 metsallica

As previously mentioned in this thread, anyone on the fence about Mozilla/Firebird/Opera should download Avant. It's a shell for IE that gives it all the functionality of the web browser component of Mozilla and Firebird. It's blazing fast, kills pop-ups, has mouse gestures, lets you open links behind your current tab with a middle mouse button click, and includes just about anything else a modern web browser should (only issue is security, but we're savvy enough to deal with that I would think). Plus since it's just a shell you keep all your settings and have all the functionality of IE. Best solution of them all, in my opinion.

http://www.avantbrowser.com

The download is less than a meg and it has a painless uninstaller if you hate it. I can't really see how someone could, though.

53. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 02:16 Toad

I love my IE... less than a second to load the thing, this google toolbar that now works to kill popups and my entire toolbar squeezed comfortably on one line.. good times.

All the toolbar buttons can be moved up in-line with the top menu just as in IE. View -> Toolbars -> Customize, and drag the buttons where you want them.

The load time is due to IE's "integration" with your OS, so that many of its components are loaded to RAM when you start Windows. There is a quickloader for Mozilla et al. which does the same thing: loads browser components into RAM at startup and keeps them resident for seemingly accelerated startup times.

52. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 01:08 Siward

So I've seen. I keep meaning to look into it, but always forget to. :\

51. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 25, 2003, 00:02 BicycleRepairMan

(though if I could replace a few of the features in Firebird I would most likely use it all the time).

Actually, you can change, replace and add most of the features in Firebird with extentsions, just go to Tools-Options-extentions-Get new extensions , and youll find almost anything..

Listen to Turbonegro

50. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 24, 2003, 22:51 fredrickson

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 25, 04:09.

49. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 24, 2003, 22:39 Siward

Return of the Browser Wars Part XXXVII!!

Opera and Mozilla's extra features are overrated.

GASP! I think I'll respond to facts with...AN IRRELEVANT
OPINION!!

If you like IE, fine. If you don't, you use something else. I switch back and forth between IE and Firebird, but I like them both (though if I could replace a few of the features in Firebird I would most likely use it all the time).

48. Re: Mozilla Firebird Aug 24, 2003, 22:22 ExcessDan

Return of the Browser Wars Part XXXVII!!

Opera and Mozilla's extra features are overrated.

I love my IE... less than a second to load the thing, this google toolbar that now works to kill popups and my entire toolbar squeezed comfortably on one line.. good times.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ExcessDan

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo