Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Step Right Up, Live Human Target (registration required), thanks Mike Martinez, is a story on a paintball shooting gallery dealie using live targets. This reminds me of a trip to a boardwalk I made with my then-girlfriend back during the first Gulf War. They had the first of these that I had ever heard of, where you could pay to take shots with a paintball marker at a guy in fatigues and a Saddam mask. I'm actually a pretty good shot, and I pegged him right in the head with my first shot, but his reaction was to give me a good neener neener neener, saying it didn't hurt a bit. Now I didn't expect him to fall and play dead, but this was particularly unsatisfying, so quickly evaluating my options, I proceeded to empty my remaining paintballs rapid fire in a nice tight grouping on his crotch.

I had the class not to return his neeners as we walked away. I'm guessing these guys wear cups now.

Links of the Day: The 40oz Archive.
Flying Pig Gallery.
The WallComp.
Stories of the Day: 'Dead' Vietnamese man revived. Thanks Ulster.
Media of the Day: Xiaoxiao Matrix Reloaded. Stick figures go thick figures (and commercial).
We Like The Moon. Thanks Dan Leadbetter. Rathergood goes Ratherbad.
Image of the Day: The ULTIMATE Game Room. Thanks Ant.
Wild Science: Microscopic Detectives on Patrol.
Experimental heart pump may be transplant alternative.
Weird Science: Draft of Air Rule Is Said to Exempt Many Old Plants (registration required). Cough.
Humans related to humble mud worm. Anders Øverby. Mud worms to sue for defamation of character.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

128. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 14:24 Hump

Yes, I'm the same Bagpuss as Q3Rally.

I get everywhere.

great job you guys did on that mod. I just wish a community had formed around it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

127. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 13:39 fredrickson

be quiet

126. Re: message board thoughts Aug 24, 2003, 13:24 Bronco

First of all, welcome back Bronco, you've got some catching up to do.

Thank you sir. I'm just about caught up now.

Some things that caught my eye:

Blue mentions the site has lost money for two years. Yikes. It's time he gets off his duff and does something about it. The ads don't bother me. If that returns this site to a break even point then so be it.

I truly wonder if Blue ever intended to make a living off of this site. He seems to work in a reactive nature versus as proactive nature. I'm certain that operating as a one man band makes it hard to implement new features but at some point he needs to make some changes in advance.

I still want more from here. I like the V2 chatbear boards. I like anything more than the existing boards. The removal of the ability to edit your own posts was something that Blue and I discussed in a round about way in the past. The number of comments per news item has climbed recently. This may be more noise from the trolls but I would like to think it is more people making BN their gaming home. I can think of a few posters off the top of my head that have recently begun to contribute to the conversation here ( I won't name anyone for fear of offending those I forget ).

Blocking users is a waste of time in my opinion. As you mention not everyone will ignore them and you will only find yourself going back to unblock.

The main way to attack these situations is with a TOS when you sign on for a username. Violate the TOS and bam you are gone. This would require more moderators and a set of hard fast rules. Blue does not seem inclined for either. This of course goes back to the reactive versus proactive nature of his business style.

All in all my fears for the future of Blue's News did not decrease based upon the recent disclosures made by Blue.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
And don't blame society, for all the evidence here, you are a sociopath.

-TPFKAS2S

125. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 12:47 fredrickson

i remember how bad it was bugs allvoer and key features missing

124. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 12:00  Bagpuss 

Yes, I'm the same Bagpuss as Q3Rally.

I get everywhere.

- Bagpuss
http://richardsmith.me/

123. Re: Full Throttle cancelled? DAMN! Aug 24, 2003, 11:37 Vladislav

*REMOVED*

http://www.elf.com

http://mercyful-fate.coven.vmh.net/

122. Re: Full Throttle cancelled? DAMN! Aug 24, 2003, 11:37 Vladislav

*REMOVED*

121. ub3r-tr0llingz Aug 24, 2003, 11:34 Vladislav

looks like fred has got u all going today:o

he baits the line and you bite.

rock on ub3r-tr0ll

%)%)X|X|%)%)%)X|X|%)%)X|%)%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)%)%)%)X|X|X|X|X|
%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)%)X|X|%)%)X|%)%)
%)X|%)%)%)%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)
%)%)X|X|%)%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)%)X|%)X|X|X|X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)
%)%)%)%)X|%)%)X|X|%)%)X|%)X|%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|X|X|X|%)X|%)%)
%)X|%)%)X|%)%)%)%)%)%)X|X|%)X|X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)
%)%)X|X|%)%)%)%)%)%)%)X|%)%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%)%)X|%)X|%):o

120. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 11:34 JZA

Rather than ads driving people away from the site, I think we're witnessing the Decline of Bluesnews at the hands of a handful of trolls. I remember a time when the comments here would be (mostly) coherent, on-topic posts... these days it's all about who's calling who a fucker and whatnot... it's a shame. I don't like ads, but I wouldn't leave the site for it, but the annoying banter I've seen here last few days really puts me off.

119. message board thoughts Aug 24, 2003, 11:29 WarPig

First of all, welcome back Bronco, you've got some catching up to do.

I kind of liked fred's new sig, it's too bad it slowed down the system, it was like an easy to see flag that said, "ignore me, for I am an a-hole" (no offense, fred). Also, it's too bad about not being able to edit posts anymore, but like always, everybody has to pay for the sins of the few a-holes (once again - no offense, fred). Maybe after awhile editing posts can be brought back.

Personally, I wouldn't care if users could block other users, I find it pretty easy to read and ignore whoever I want just by simply not reading their posts. It also makes it tough when ten people are commenting on a post that I can't read - this is when I would become curious and have to go back, un-block the guy, and read the post. Remember being able to block anonymous users?

-----------------------------------------
~ WarPig, the other white meat.

GO SEAHAWKS!

118. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 11:09 Enahs

Somebody sure is feeling aggressive today.

and WTF is with your sig about science being.. blah blah it makes no sense, in other words YOUR AN IDIOT

It is a quote from Einstein
You are obviously ignorant on what the word(s) ignorant/ignorance mean(s).

"Science is but an organized system of ignorance."

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

117. No subject Aug 24, 2003, 11:04 SeD

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=userinfo&user=15216&boardid=1

Fucking look at that shit, goes for pages and pages. What a fucking !LOSER!...

116. No subject Aug 24, 2003, 10:59 SeD

Dantastic, you are truely a fucking reject. Goddamn just always want to say that. Anway if you dont personally know this fag fred, then um, well you really are a fucking idiot. Just amazing, why the fuck anyone would want to read your stupid shit, all of you guys... Fucking all of you are sooo Fucking stupid...

115. No subject Aug 24, 2003, 10:54 SeD

Enahs your fucking retarded too, Ive never once agree with your opinion, and WTF is with your sig about science being.. blah blah it makes no sense, in other words YOUR AN IDIOT, leave...

114. No subject Aug 24, 2003, 10:50 SeD

You fucking gay little shit...
What do you think your trying to prove?
!FUCKING LEAVE MOTHERFUCKER!
/Spoons out Freds eyes and fucks him in the eyesocket

113. Re: I wonder Aug 24, 2003, 10:39 Enahs

you did it twice actually.. i watched it

wasn't me with the mailing lists though.. im not THAT much of a jerk

Nope, I did it once(well, stupid auto complete did it once!). Someone responded to it before I could change it. And that person who responded is the one who did it.
freddy
never thought it was you.

"Science is but an organized system of ignorance."

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

112. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 06:09 fredrickson

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 24, 10:35.

111. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 05:22 fredrickson

*REMOVED*

110. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 05:21 fredrickson

*REMOVED*

109. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2003, 05:21 fredrickson

*REMOVED*

128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >