Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DX2 & Thief 3 Movies

The intro movie for Deus Ex: Invisible War has been released to mark the occasion of the German GC2003. The nearly three minute cinematic movie sets up the story for ION Storm's upcoming thinker-shooter sequel. The movie is a 30 MB download, available from 3D Gamers, Tiscali Games (where there's also a DivX-format mini-me version), and Worthplaying. Another ION Storm movie release has occurred at the show, as a higher resolution version of the Thief 3 E3 (say that three times fast) trailer is now available, with a bit more added to the cinematic trailer so it now runs for over a minute. The 9-ish MB download can be found on 3D Gamers and Worthplaying. Finally, in other (albeit not gaming) movie news, The Matrix Revolutions trailer is now available as an official QuickTime dealie (thanks Tiscali Games).

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Voice of Simons Aug 21, 2003, 04:36 Von Helmet

Last I heard they are going with the Illuminati ending, not the dark age or the Helios one.

So J.C. Denton is now part of the Illuminati and the future is still all... futuristic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: w00t! Aug 20, 2003, 18:10 Jedi Master

Those are the WORST helicopters. Somebody stunted their growth or something because those tails are WAY too short. They are totally under the rotor! Look at ANY helo with a tail rotor and the tail sticks out from under the helo.
It's not hard to just copy a real helo or make one that resembles one, but these guys have to try making one without regard to the laws of aerodynamics.

The kind of thing that kills the suspense of disbelief for me. What next, a nuclear missile silo with one big red button to launch it?

The Jedi Master

41. Re: Voice of Simons Aug 20, 2003, 17:46 Whilt

I thought it was rather simple, and a rather interesting move rather than a dumb one. Remember the collection of cloning tubes in Area 51 at the end of Deus Ex 1? One of them was a clone using Walton Simons's genome, I believe, while there were clones of Denton and Page as well. In all likelihood this voice is the same as the late Walton Simons because it is a clone of him. Of course, I'm not sure it it's a clone from Area 51, seeing as the Dark Age ending seems the most likely backdrop for DX2, but Versalife did have quite a few global posessions.

What I find most interesting about this, though, is the possibility that Walton Simons could actually be a good guy this time around. Would be another interesting philosophical twist to add to the game.

Whilt

40. DX2 & Thief 3 Aug 20, 2003, 14:07 Elrix

I thought that the visuals of the gray goo nanotech detonator were very cool. Prudent use of good FMV can add a lot of atmosphere to a game, Blizzard being the best at this IMHO.

The intro to Thief 3 is in serious need of a hard-edged industrial soundtrack. I think that one of the members of Looking Glass was in a band that provided the soundtrack to the original Thief games.

39. Voice of Simons Aug 20, 2003, 13:45 MeatForce

WTF is up with that? There has to be some story-based explanation for them using that voice over again (although I've wracked my brain trying to figure out what it could be, and come up cold). Otherwise I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

I mean, think about how many lines of dialogue they gave him in the first game, and how incredibly well his voice fit his character in the first game.. I realize that gamers who never played the first whould have no idea, but C'MON!! Some (ok, LOTS) of us have played through the first installment MANY times. Hearing the voice of the uber-baddie from DX in this movie just killed the immersion factor completely for me.

No. There is NO WAY they wouldn't have known perfectly well that lots of people would recognize that voice, and would wonder what was going on there... That is why, rather than wallow in disappointment, I choose to believe (for the time-being) that Warren and his bunch are far too careful and deliberate about their projects to do something so.. well, silly.

I mean, ya just can't go and make something so totally brilliant and complete as DX, and then go and pull a dumb move like this.. can you?

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

38. Re: Whats the point of this FMV? Aug 20, 2003, 12:13 Riker

FMV just goes to prove that there isnt any gameplay sorted out yet, and wastes everyones time.

Um yeah... the game's been in development for what, a few years now? I'm sure that they have gameplay sorted out by this point.

37. Can't view it Aug 20, 2003, 11:31 Ratty

Windows Media Player just sits there frozen at the opening scenes. Real Player plays it for a few seconds then freezes. If I minimize and restore the window it plays a little bit longer then freezes. I never have any luck with these videos. What's wrong with my computer?

36. Re: Whats the point of this FMV? Aug 20, 2003, 07:50 Dr.Haggard

I agree with #34 that the music doesn't feel right, but the video itself is pretty cool.

However it's a shame they haven't managed to make this anything like as spine-tinglingly-tastic as the original Dark Project intro\trailer, which is possibly one of the best mood setting trailers ever created for a game. I can watch that now and still feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I'm with Ray on this, Thief 3 is my most wanted game atm, despite the other leviathans due to be released before the end of the year (inluding other patforms).

35. Whats the point of this FMV? Aug 20, 2003, 06:19  cliffski 

I reckon Thief 3 could be good (maybe as good as the others) but what exactly is the point of this video?
I want a GAME, not a fcking video! FMV just goes to prove that there isnt any gameplay sorted out yet, and wastes everyones time.
Im sure not excited about any game that only has prerendered video to show for itself.

34. Thief III vid Aug 20, 2003, 05:18 Guye

hm, the vid was cool, but the music was still totally off. Just compare it to the previous Thief intros. :/

33. Re: Simons Aug 20, 2003, 03:29 Cholma

Yeah, that was Manderley who scolds you. Very funny. It was little things like that I really liked in DX. Throwing the LAM in the cell before Simons was a cool idea... what's even cooler is that the devs anticpated it and gave Simons dialogue for it! Now THAT's open ended gameplay!

32. Re: Simons Aug 20, 2003, 02:13 Riker

When he scolded me for my adventure into the ladies bathroom I almost peed myself :).

That wasn't Simons; wasn't it your boss that scolds you for that?

31. Re: Matrix Revolutions Aug 20, 2003, 02:12 Creston

Dying to see underworld

Amen Ray.

And now, everyone, chant with me.

Deus Ex! Deus Ex! Deus Ex! Deus Ex!

God, I'm such a fanboy...

Creston

30. Re: Simons Aug 20, 2003, 01:00 Dan M

When he scolded me for my adventure into the ladies bathroom I almost peed myself :).

29. Re: Simons Aug 20, 2003, 00:29 Tom

How could they reuse the voice of Walton Simons for a different character like that? It's such a distinctive and memorable voice... that's going to seem really odd in the game for those of us who played through the first game, I think.

My favorite Walton Simons moment from the original Deus Ex game was when he was starting to interrogate those rebel prisoners at UNATCO HQ... After Simons walked through the doorway into the cell, but just before the door closed after him, I'd throw a LAM in there. Hey, LAM first, ask questions later, right? The prisoners gibbed but Simons was unaffected, of course.

I believe his lines afterwards were something like "Jesus Christ, Denton! I was trying to do an interrogation here." Heheh...

28. Re: Simons Aug 20, 2003, 00:01 Squirmer

Like Bunko said, it's not Walton Simons; just the same voice actor.

27. Simons Aug 19, 2003, 23:46 Geek Lord

Yeah that`s who I was thinking of.
Didn`t he die in the first game?
Damn, I thought I was on to something

26. Re: DX2 movie voice... Aug 19, 2003, 23:41 Squirmer

"It`s been more than a year and a half since I played the original DX, but that guy`s voice is one I remember from the first game, but I don`t remember whose it is. Any ideas?"

Walton Simons' voice; he was played by Tom Hall.

Edit: too late.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 23:42.

25. Re: DX2 movie voice... Aug 19, 2003, 23:40 Bunko

Walton Simons.
That's what you get from playing through that game, all the way, 5 times

I don't think that its Walton Simons per say, but that the voice actor they used for him is being recycled.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Aug 19, 23:41.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

24. Re: w00t! Aug 19, 2003, 23:39 Squirmer

"You'd think that after the success of games like Half-Life, ones with the narrative contained entirely in the game engine, this FMV stuff would have been put out to pasture. It was cool when I saw it in FF7, but that was six years ago - now, this sort of work is pretty uninspiring. It doesn't have the visual quality of high-end 3D and it doesn't have the interactivity of an in-game cinematic - it just lingers somwhere unsatisfyingly in the middle. Warren Spector is undeniably a great game designer; I wish he wouldn't waste his/Deus Ex's resources on this sort of thing..."

Um. IT'S ONLY THE INTRO MOVIE. It's likely the ONLY FMV sequences will be the intro and possibly the end game movies. There will be no FMV in the actual game.

"The thing I'm worried about with DX2 is that the game seems too futuristic. It's only 15 or 20 years after the first. So far, the game just doesn't seem like Deus Ex."

But wouldn't you agree that places like Versalife in Deus Ex 1 were quite futuristic as well? Don't judge the whole thing by single locations. Look at the screenshots of the seedy Seattle bar and Cairo. There's a faction in the game called The Order (the terrorist the movie belonged to them) and they are anti-technology. I'm guessing that their HQ in Cairo won't look very futuristic.
This comment was edited on Aug 19, 23:44.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo