Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yesterday the instability of the computer I've been working on finally pushed me back to troubleshooting my real work PC, as I could not stand to lose any more productivity to the crashes the emergency box was subject to. The problem with my real Win2K workstation is a memory leak I was experiencing with FrontPage, a problem that persisted even after uninstalling and reinstalling the whole Office suite. As it turns out, I have not actually determined the cause of the problem, just a workaround, which is simply to save my work in a different subdirectory. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this (there always seems to be), but it certainly defies the easy explanation that there was something corrupt in the directory structure where I was previously saving things, since it's working fine now, and I'm using the exact same directory as before, simply copied to a new location. Anyway, I'm quite ecstatic at being able to work on my proper work machine, and I'm guessing my newly learned habit of saving my work after every keystroke might even come in handy one of these days.

Today might see some experimentation begin with some ads that are probably more obtrusive than what we're used to here. This is not a step that is taken lightly, but is essential to the ongoing survival of this site, and I can only hope that you will consider this a fair trade-off. As always, feedback on this is welcome.

Link of the Day: Evil Dead the Musical. Thanks Kii.
The World's Worst Hobby. Thanks Medic.
Stories of the Day: Sergeant charges breast enhancement, car to Pentagon (thanks Jim Chaney). Wasting $130K earmarked for a toilet.
Bacon mistaken for human head.
'Zsa Zsa Saddam' to Taunt Iraqi Regime Loyalists. Thanks Miguel Gonzalez.
Wild Science: Wingman!
Software Spots Devilish Details
Worshipping celebrities 'brings success'.
Weird Science: Why Humans and Their Fur Parted Ways (registration required).
It's a Dog's Life, but What, Exactly, Is That About (registration required)?
The simple pleasures of fake nature.
Image of the Day: FoxTrot. Thanks thanecyan and Stephen Nelson.
Blackout viewed from space. Thanks zombie69.
Auction of the Day: Letter hand delivered to Mr. Little Guy. Thanks arsonist.
Castra-Kit Vintage Pig Castration System. Thanks Dan Leadbetter. As ugly as the previous one is sweet.
Follow-up: Users Discover Pros and Cons in Stair-Climbing Wheelchair (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
190 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

50. frederickson... Aug 19, 2003, 17:45 all4naught

is absolutely and without a doubt, the greatest troll on the internet today. I don't know who he is, but he is brilliant. Has he not taken trolling to an art form?

All4naught

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. No subject Aug 19, 2003, 17:44 Starsky

Jesus Blue. You could stab me in the eye with a fork every day, I'd still read your stuff. I'm an addict for Christsake. It's worth some annoyance to feel the cool rush of the goodness that is Bluesnews.

Just do what you can, make the best decisions for the ongoing health of the site, and keep updating. We'll be here.

Thanks for all the work.

48. Re: Pentagon Aug 19, 2003, 17:42 Moog Operator

`Whats your take? Reading newspapers hasn't given me enough information to draw a conclusion.`
A better take, and a more realistic one, isn't muslim extremists, or Saddamm loyalists, it is a deep seeded unified hatred of the US. Look at what the Bushs have done over there in the last 15 years; Iraq, up until 1991 was one of the most modernized nations in the persian gulf, and though persecuted, the citizens of the country enjoyed a good standard of living, always had electricity, water, and food. Enter George 1. During the Gulf War the idiot nation to my south blew up: Hospitals, Sewage plants, Power plants, roads, highways, about 60,000 troops, about 2000 civilians, and the aftermath of this included merriment along the lines of kids swimming in pools of raw sewage in the street, epidemic diarhea (causing over 1.2 MILLION kids deaths in the last ten years), and the list goes on and on and on. 12 years later, the same retards do an even worse number on a barely recovering Iraq, and occupy it. It is now math time: 12+(anywhere from 5 to 50) = a lot of adults who remember vividly the slaughter of their people, country, lives, livelyhood, and ALL for oil. Muslim extremists? Eat my asshole out, moron, if you grew up watching millions of your countrymen starve, be murdered, and die at the hands of Americans, you'd hate every piece of American trash in the world. To see them marching up and down the square with their sights between your eyes rubs it in even worse. Wait another 10 years until those people have kids... what will they be like? If you want a good future viewing, just look at how old the kids in Palestine are, throwing rocks at tanks. America has incited hatred for itself already on a level we can not possibly comprehend, and continued slaughter, and occupation of yet another Arab country by white Americans is guaranteeing that this type of hatred will be felt for years to come. What is going on in Iraq isn't "pockets of resistance" or "Saddamm loyalists we must flush out", it is an entire country who HATES America and what it stands for.

DEEP FRY TEN MILLION RAG HEADS
INTO CRISPY EAGLE SNACKS!
PURE CHEWING SATISFACTION!

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

47. Interesting Aug 19, 2003, 17:39 Mashiki Amiketo

The first time I come today, I get one, the second time I come today, I get one, the third time today, I've gotten another takeover ad. Yes I accept cookies. I had the same problem with Ve3d when they went to IGN, every time I went to their site, I would get the "takeover" ad. It drove me right up the wall.

You have to do what you can do to float, they are irritating tho.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

46. Re: takeover ad Aug 19, 2003, 17:34 MeatForce

Well, there's a link atop the ad that ends it immediately and goes directly to the main page, and the frequency is capped so that you will only see it once in a 24 hour period no mater how often you visit.

Sounds perfectly fine to me, Blue. A split-second of clicking through once every 24 hours is nothing, especially if it helps you run the site.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

45. Re: takeover ad Aug 19, 2003, 17:33 lamfear

Well I can live with it... it just came totally unexpected.
If you ever decide to ask for donations, or open a paypal account, I'll support you.
I supported www.shacknews.com and www.lowbrow.com , and I'll support Blue's as well!

44. Re: takeover ad Aug 19, 2003, 17:30 Schnapple

Actually my idea was something similar - every time you see someone annoying, send Blue a dollar asking that he remove the person's account. Enough money and the person gets booted.

Of course there's problems with that plan...

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

43. New Ads Aug 19, 2003, 17:28 Fang

Heh, that's so unexpected, I started laughing. Yes siree, no popups here I'm just curious, does it support the site more if I buy products through the ads, or if I just browse the linked stores? I'm thinking of purchasing a few products that have been advertised (not the eMode ads ).

Oh, and btw Halsy, I'm just curious, what liberal bastion did you get brainwas... er, I mean graduate from?

42. Obnoxious Ads Aug 19, 2003, 17:26 c r i s p y

Ugh! I just had to click through a full-page advertisment BEFORE I could continue on through to the main site.

C'mon, Blue. Allow us to bypass this stuff with a subscription or something!

---
Chris.

41. Re: takeover ad Aug 19, 2003, 17:26 nin

Maybe we can all get together and sign up fredster for those singles ads we keep seeing at the top of the page...

"hI my name is fRed. i enjoY trOLling, compUter gamez, and asKing if yuo mASTerbated last nite."

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40. Re: takeover ad Aug 19, 2003, 17:25  Blue 

Bluesnews takeover ad... wtf???

That one's worse than any popup.

Well, there's a link atop the ad that ends it immediately and goes directly to the main page, and the frequency is capped so that you will only see it once in a 24 hour period no matter how often you visit.

A lot of effort on my party lately has gone into ensuring that the advertising here will only go so far, and I can only hope I've succeeded in keeping things tolerable for you all.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 17:30.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

39. Re: Pentagon Aug 19, 2003, 17:24 Moog Operator

halsy, the dude who robbed the store was probably black, so nothings wrong with this picture, it is the MO of America. Keep black man down

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

38. Re: takeover ad Aug 19, 2003, 17:23 sc4r4b

No shit... I clicked it though. Jeepers Creepers was a good flick.

the best part about life is knowing you put it together

37. takeover ad Aug 19, 2003, 17:20 lamfear

36. Re: Pentagon Aug 19, 2003, 17:09 Scottish Martial Arts

This isn't something created by a PsyOps unit.

Correct, I misread the article. It refered to the 4th Infantry Divisions PsyOps battalion and I mistook the quoted lieutenant-colonel for the PsyOps Battalion Commander.

The majority of them have their doctorates?

I Read this in several books regarding Special Operations. (Yes, PsyOps falls under the SOF umbrella.) Namely:

Shadow Warriors by Tom Clancy and General Carl Stiner

U.S. Army Special Forces by Fred J. Pushies

A doctorate isn't hard to obtain

Then why are you such a pompous ass to those you deem uneducated? If education is so easily attainable (even your vaunted PolySci Degree) then why are you so superior to the rest of us? Don't give me bullshit about how that isn't the case. You know it. I know it. Everyone here knows it. You think your a better person than the average joe because you have an education.

Anyone who believes what's going on is a result of "Saddam loyalists" clearly has no clue what's going on over there anymore than Iraq was an "imminent threat" chockfull of WMD's that they were ready

Whats your take? Reading newspapers hasn't given me enough information to draw a conclusion.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 17:14.

35. memtest86.com ? Aug 19, 2003, 16:56 MrJonesPY

Don't know if you tried the basic stuff, like memtest86.com?
Or is a problem with frontpage. Remember, you always have MozillaComposer + notepad :-)

34. Re: Pentagon Aug 19, 2003, 16:43 Halsy

#1. Read the article. This isn't something created by a PsyOps unit.

#2. The majority of them have their doctorates? Sure they do. Let's see some proof. I actually have a friend who works for the US Army Civil Affairs and Psychological Operations Command and I'll have to ask him about that. I know he only has his B.Sc. in Psychology. Couple that with the fact that I do a LOT of research that includes these sorts of operations and my 10+ years practical experience would disagree with your zero years of practical experience in these matters.

#3. A doctorate isn't hard to obtain (or really practical unless you choose to pursue academia as a career - which is another reason why I disagree with your assertion), just time consuming.

#4. I have nothing against PsyOps, they do some interesting work. However, for all the clever things they do they also create a lot of boneheaded operations as well. These are the same guys who conducted an aerial leaflet campaign in Vietnam at one point which tried to "frighten and demoralize" the Vietcong and NVA into surrender by stating how much bigger American servicemen's penises were. They almost got laughed out of Vietnam on that one.

#5. Anyone who believes what's going on is a result of "Saddam loyalists" clearly has no clue what's going on over there anymore than Iraq was an "imminent threat" chockfull of WMD's that they were ready to unleash on an unsuspecting world. The perpetually aggreived and innocent America was simply defending itself from a bully and tyrannt. BTW, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can let you have cheap if you believe the White House/Pentagon.

Cthulu loves you. On a bun. With catsup.
This comment was edited on Aug 19, 16:46.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

33. Re: Rocketpack Aug 19, 2003, 16:43 nin

You know Dan, If he can not take the time to properly type out "you", can he really can for you that much?

Just a thought....

Good point! I think the honeymoon in hell has already begun...

So dan, what prompted you to marry an internet troll? Money? Sex? Power? Booze?

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 16:43.

32. Re: Rocketpack Aug 19, 2003, 16:39 Enahs

i love u

You know Dan, If he can not take the time to properly type out "you", can he really can for you that much?

Just a thought....

"Science is but an organized system of ignorance."

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

31. Re: Rocketpack Aug 19, 2003, 16:26 nin

fredster, you remind me of a song I heard a few years ago called "You only tell me you love me when you're drunk".

190 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo