Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• Chaser
    Ownt.com's Chaser Q&A talks with Cauldron's Marian Suran, lead programmer on the imminent (in North America -- it's already out in Europe) shooter, to learn details about gameplay, the game engine, system requirements, and more.
  • Vivisector
    HomeLAN Fed's Vivisector Q&A chats with Anatoly Subbotin of publisher 1C to learn more about progress on Vivisector: Beast Inside, the upcoming shooter in the works at Action Forms, focusing on the move away from the H.G. Wells-inspired Island of Dr. Moreau theme.
  • Blake's 7
    HomeLAN Fed's Blake's 7 Game Q&A talks with Andrew Sewell of B7 Productions Limited general terms about plans for games based on the BBC television series.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Sweet Aug 19, 2003, 12:53 callen92

And if you like British humor, the BBC is a great blast to watch on certain evenings when they have four comedy shows in a row, most of them pretty good.
But science fiction they never really managed to work out.

Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy is one good example. Also, there was Quatermass, Tripods, Tomorrow People, The Prisoner, UFO, Space 1999 (was produced in UK -- Just don't watch the second season, it was BBBBBAAADDDDD), Red Dwarf, The almighty Doctor Who (lasted for 26 seasons).I could keep going but the titles would get more obscure

I still have some rather severe doubts how it will translate into a game though. Most gamers these days haven't even heard of Blake's 7.

I share your concern. Most likely this will be a quickly thrown together game to tie-in with the new Blake's 7. And we know how tie-in games are. The last game based on a British Sci-Fi show was Doctor Who: Destiny of the Doctors and it was BBBBBAAADDDDD. While the best game based on a British Sci-Fi show has to be the Infocom game for Hitchiker's which you can now play for free on Douglas Adam's website.

And if you like British humor, the BBC is a great blast to watch on certain evenings

BBC has put out some of the best sitcoms ever. Some that spring to mind are the Young Ones, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Bottom, Red Dwarf

Personally, I think British television is the scourge of the Earth.

I grew up watching a lot of BBC shows when they were aired on the local PBS Channels in New York City. If you are sick of the crap that is shoveled into your brain by the big networks, then look no further than the BBC back catalog.

It's funny, the more I watch some of the older BBC shows, the more I find the BBC's influence on some of the best shows that us yanks have produced.

Case in point: Bablyon 5

White Star: An alien ship that any outfly or outfight earth ships? The Liberator from Blake's 7 anyone?

Emperor Cartagia: Pays homage to the Caligula storyline from the BBC Production of I, Claudius

The "ongoing story arc": Already been done by Doctor Who and Blake's 7

I could keep going but you don't care anyway so I won't. You will not find more ground-breaking, intelligent TV then what the BBC produced in the 70's and 80's

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Sweet Aug 19, 2003, 07:41 Anvil

And if you like British humor, the BBC is a great blast to watch on certain evenings when they have four comedy shows in a row, most of them pretty good.

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. We do however get televised murder,rape and violence on the BBC - most of it after 9pm.

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

7. Re: Sweet Aug 19, 2003, 07:38 Anvil

Well, it's going to be a joke anyways. I mean, seriously. Blake's 7 was cool if you were under 6 years of age and Dr. Who was too scary for you. It ran for all of, what, 11 episodes, at which point even the BRITISH decided that it really wasn't much good. And we're talking about people who kept tripe such as Corronation Street and Neighbors on tv for FIVE decades.

Kinda says it all about the 'quality' of the show, doesn't it?

Others have pointed out that Blake's 7 ran for 4 seasons. It is also factually incorrect to say that Neighbours (actually an Australian import) has run for 5 decades, though far too long does cover it :(. The reason these shows go on only shows that British audiences like trashy soap. As for the US, well Baywatch springs to mind.

Blakes 7 suffered terribly from an appalling SFX budget (to start with GBP50 per show equivalent to GBP176 in 2002 money) and some at times dodgy acting. The basic scripts however were pretty good and the premise was much more believable at the time than the Star Wars universe.

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

6. Re: Sweet Aug 18, 2003, 21:07 Creston

Blake's 7 lasted for four whole seasons?? I must be confused with another show that only got a handful of episodes...

Apologies to Blake and his 7

I still have some rather severe doubts how it will translate into a game though. Most gamers these days haven't even heard of Blake's 7...

Creston

Edit : Personally, I think British television is the scourge of the Earth

Nah, it's actually pretty good, if you don't really expect TV to entertain you to any great extent. The BBC is VERY educational and you can at least let your kids watch something during primetime without having to worry about them being subjected to televised murder, rape, violence and some of the other finer amenities of life.

Still, the BBC was the only way for me to ever watch Star Trek, so I'm thankful for that. (Even though they had the VERY nasty tendency to just start over in a given series. They must have showed the first season of Deep Space Nine at least a hundred fourteen thousand times, and then you knew you had to wait another six months for them to finally get back to where you were in season six

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 21:10.

5. Re: Sweet Aug 18, 2003, 20:35 Bunko

Personally, I think British television is the scourge of the Earth.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

4. Re: Sweet Aug 18, 2003, 18:36 callen92

I mean, seriously. Blake's 7 was cool if you were under 6 years of age and Dr. Who was too scary for you.

Blake's 7 was not intended for children. It was a more mature Dr. Who spinoff created by a former Dr. Who writer. At the time Blake's 7 was created, the Holmes/Hincliffe era of Doctor Who was over and the show was less scary and more light and humorous.

It ran for all of, what, 11 episodes, at which point even the BRITISH decided that it really wasn't much good.

Blake's 7 lasted for 4 seasons with a total of 52 episodes. By BBC standards, this is pretty impressive.

And we're talking about people who kept tripe such as Corronation Street and Neighbors on tv for FIVE decades.

Amen brother! I could never understand why the BBC would keep bad programs afloat while the more memorable shows die a quick death.

Babylon 5 lasted for 5 seasons and Blake's 7 lasted for 4. Both had great stories, a great story arc, and a low low budget. That says it all about the quality of the show.

I do remember watching it though, since it WAS science fiction after all, and back in those days beggars couldn't be choosers.

Too true

I still wonder why shows such as Farscape and Blake's 7 wind up getting games, Star Trek gets a million games, when the best sci fi show ever, Babylon 5, has had its only game cancelled, courtesy of (the extremely overdue a mild case of death) Sierra.

If it wasn't for Half-Life, Sierra would be lying next to Hoffa under Giants Stadium. I still can't forgive them for cancelling the Babylon 5 game. What the hell were they thinking?!

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 18:38.

3. Re: Sweet Aug 18, 2003, 17:08 Creston

Well, it's going to be a joke anyways. I mean, seriously. Blake's 7 was cool if you were under 6 years of age and Dr. Who was too scary for you. It ran for all of, what, 11 episodes, at which point even the BRITISH decided that it really wasn't much good. And we're talking about people who kept tripe such as Corronation Street and Neighbors on tv for FIVE decades.

I do remember watching it though, since it WAS science fiction after all, and back in those days beggars couldn't be choosers.

I still wonder why shows such as Farscape and Blake's 7 wind up getting games, Star Trek gets a million games, when the best sci fi show ever, Babylon 5, has had its only game cancelled, courtesy of (the extremely overdue a mild case of death) Sierra.

Creston

2. Re: Sweet Aug 18, 2003, 15:10 Bingo

Ah yes Blakes 7, one of my childhood heros, I always remember their guns looked like my mothers curling tongs attached to some phone cable. If the game is anything like the special effects on the series it will be a joke.

1. Sweet Aug 18, 2003, 13:29 Rethcir

Blake's 7 games? I've never seen that show, but seems like it adds to the possibility of seeing Doctor Who: Elite Force in the future. EXTERMINATE!

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 13:32.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo