Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id Software Q&As

There's a John Carmack Q&A on GameSpy.com and a Tim Willits Q&A on HomeLAN Fed catching up with the id mainstays during QuakeCon. The Q&A with Willits is an article-format conversation with the id lead programmer covering various aspects of DOOM 3 development, while also touching briefly on Quake IV. Quake IV also comes up in the John Carmack Q&A, as id's lead programmer makes it perfectly clear that their next project will not be another sequel:

John Carmack: Wolfenstein worked out so spectacularly well. Inside id there is a group that really, really does not want to do another sequel. Our next game is not going to be a DOOM, Quake, or Wolfenstein sequel, it's going to be something new and that is a foregone conclusion.

We knew that we were going to license that out and let someone do it.

The work that was done with Wolfenstein, in the end it turned out great, of course, everybody loves it, but it was painful during the development. At one point we had every programmer at id working, trying to stabilize the code base to make things okay for shipping.

But still, we looked at that as a success and we are hoping to replicate that success with Raven doing Quake IV. Raven has always been our lead engine adopter. It was a foregone conclusion that Raven would get the Doom engine early, the only question was what they were going to work on.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

58. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 18, 2003, 00:33 Ralphus

UT owned Quake 3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 18, 2003, 00:08 Zha Zha Lau

Quake 3, well, it was no Unreal Tournament.

One of its best features

56. <facetious> Aug 17, 2003, 23:51 Brick

I should have used those <facetious> brackets on my previous comments for some. I really think the original Quake would benefit the most from a "remix". The biggest worry I have yet about all this are the comments being made by those partaking in the Doom III multiplayer. It's being played on high end hardware in low resolution with no AA and some reviewers are complaining about choppiness or (God forgive their ignorance, after all, these are suppose to be expert gaming critics) lag (=poor frame rate) on a 4-player lan. That, I find, is disconcerting!!!

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 23:55.

55. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 23:36 Chance

Either will do... as long as they are first person

54. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 23:31 Skobar

"That would be great. Quake II is still one of my all time favorite games. Now someone just needs to hold raven hostage and force them to do a Hexen III with D3 tech...
"
Ill take heretic 3 instead

53. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 22:56 Guye

I'd love a Hexen III.

Or perhaps they can go make Hecatomb
It was originally supposed to be a trilogy, Heretic, Hexen, and Hecatomb. Romero was supposed to make a section dedicated to what was supposed to be Hecatomb on his web page. They even sent him a copy of Hexen II when it was released in a "Hecatomb" box.

I guess when Activision got a hold of Raven they convinced them to split the series into two sequels. (Hexen II and Heretic II) Twice the $$ that way.

I always figure Human Head would do a Hexen III, or a spiritual successor to the series, since I doubt they could get the license to use the Heretic/Hexen name.

52. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 22:40 Ronin

Ray, you and I are in agreement on Quake (though I prefer Q3A over UT) that it was the very best of the series.

Anybody that wants to get nostalgic about Quake one should go here: http://gamershots.net/quake_1_movies.htm

Yes, I'm shamelessly plugging my website, but we were on the topic, were we not?

-Passover_{DRC}
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
(The poster previously known as Ronin)

-Azrael
http://gamershots.net

51. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 22:39 Tony!!!

Creating new content for games like Doom won't be as easy as it used to be. A downlfall of advanced tech.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

50. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 22:26 Enahs

I already got my MOD planed for Doom3
I am gonna re-do exactly the levels of Duke3D(will add new secret areas of course).
Add all the guns. Do all new hi-res textures. Hi polly, more details monsters.
That game would look killer in the doom3 engine!

And I will have this all done, before DukeNukem takingForever comes out. And I can not even start working on it untill next year!

*edit*
rimshot

"Science is but an organized system of ignorance."
This comment was edited on Aug 17, 22:26.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

49. My mod plan for Doom3 Aug 17, 2003, 22:24 Enahs

bah
This comment was edited on Aug 17, 22:31.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

48. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 21:33 Ray Marden

Can I just rough 'im up a bit?

Personally, I still think Quake is the coolest of the series. Quake 2 was back to Mr. Generic Space Marine Guy and Quake 3, well, it was no Unreal Tournament.

Still waiting for my (graphically) updated Duke Nukem 3D :o,
Ray

Edit: Doh! Added the "3" to the last Quake title.
---------------------------------------------------------
It is never wrong to care for somebody.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Wazzat?
This comment was edited on Aug 17, 21:41.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

47. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 21:16 wasp

"Hexen III would be very cool. Granted, if you follow all the storylines though, it has been milked for all its worth."

Yeah ok. But didn't Corvus have a terrible transporter accident eons ago causing his more violent half (who happens to sport a beard)in a different dimension to seek vengeance against the serpent riders? That's plausible isn't it?
Besides, turning someone into a chicken in MP causes a smile from ear to ear. My fav trick was to release a poison gas bomb just behind a door when i knew someone was following me inside. The sound of them choking to death was a riot. I really liked DM'ing on single player maps as well. When i played the single player aspect, it made me explore every crevice just so i was prepared for the DM game.

<wasp>

46. Gore... Aug 17, 2003, 21:12 Ronin

Yeah, I seem to remember hearing about it, but like a lot of people, didn't hear anything good about it. I'll check it out.

Meanwhile, I'll play Deathmatch Classic, which, if you're not familiar with it, you should check out this video:
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/127184.shtml

-Passover_{DRC}

-Azrael

45. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 20:45 Wookiestick

Wasp:
Hexen III would be very cool. Granted, if you follow all the storylines though, it has been milked for all its worth. (Don't read on if you haven't played them and don't want a spoiler). You had the three serpent riders in Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen II, who have all been defeated in each game respectively. Then you have the mission pack of Hexen II dealing with some villian trying to usurp their soul-power. Finally, you've got Heretic II, which is a spinoff more than anything. It dealt with the hero of the first game and his curse from the first serpent rider he had slain.
At this point, all you could really have is a big pow-wow with all three resurrected Serpent Riders (kinda unoriginal..) That, or a remake. Heck though, Raven could pull it off I suppose, with the perty Doom 3 engine or such-- Raven has great artists and experience in the genre.

Love thy wookie.

44. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 20:43 cia

doom3 engine has serious limitations. look at the maps that will run on this engine - tiny corridor creeper maps.

elite force was a good match because the level design was bland and repetitive and above all - SMALL!

43. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 20:41 sponge

I still play TF (sadly, mostly Mega these days) to this very day. Gimme a shout if you happen to see me around!

Does anyone remember Star Wars CTF? That was pretty fun, surprisingly.

42. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 19:56 Halo

Rocket Arena 1... Good times good times.

~Halo

41. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 19:50 Scottish Martial Arts

my opinion folks, don't crucify me for it...

Don't worry we're not barbarians....

BURN HIM!! BURN HIM!!

40. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 19:41 Hump

As much as I like to see remakes of old games with new engines, if they remade Q1 with the D3 engine, they would definitely have to do something about the speed. No game since Quake 1 has been as feveroshly fast,

umm, yes there has, it was called "Gore". People were too busy laughing and pointing at the lousy single player game to notice the MP was as good, if not better than Q1.

my opinion folks, don't crucify me for it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

39. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 19:38 Ronin

As much as I like to see remakes of old games with new engines, if they remade Q1 with the D3 engine, they would definitely have to do something about the speed. No game since Quake 1 has been as feveroshly fast, and that's what made its multiplayer so great. While everyone else was hopping on the Q2 bandwagon for multiplayer, I played Quake 1 CTF straight through till Quake 3, because Q2 was too damn slow.

For the person that said that they didn't like CTF with the hook, might I ask what CTF before Quake 2 did you play that didn't have the hook? Quake 1 had the BEST grappling hook ever. And there's no way it ruined the game, if anything, it added a whole extra strategic element to it.

And those that yearn for Quake 3 CTF with the hook and runes, check out Classic CTF by Threewave.

-Passover_{DRC}

-Azrael

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo