Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WWII Online Update

The WWII Online Website has word of their 'Welcome Back Soldier' program offering a week of free play to former subscribers, as well as a bit of the feedback on their new version 1.9, which adds Depot spawning, a new factory-powered strategic system, new RPG functions, and more. The free week offer is also open to all, who can download the client to the MMO WW2 game from Gigex and play free for seven days.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Game is for mature players only Aug 7, 2003, 09:43 Luka

I don't currently subscribe to WW2Online, but if I had the time, I probably would be. No question, this game is not for the kiddies and the ADD crowd (see below) is warned to steer clear. I've had some incredibly tense moments in this game, and its an indescribable rush. The game world is immense, probably the biggest in Online gaming, although of course it can be sparsely populated at times.

If you're looking for Quake style action and respawning, then please, don't buy this game. However, if you are into using tactics, strategy, and have patience to plan and wait for the kill, then by all means... try WW2Online... you will love it.

I'm definitely going to be trying the "Welcome Back Soldat" promotion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: THE GAME SUCKS! LET IT DIE! Aug 7, 2003, 02:12 Fausticle

People who play MMORPGs are a bunch of introverted, prepubescent, troglodytes!

24. Re: THE GAME SUCKS! LET IT DIE! Aug 6, 2003, 21:33 Bosco

It's going to die "soon"? I hope you die "soon" and raise the average i.q. of the population a bit

Don't have a cow man. You can get a heart attack from all that screaming.

23. Re: THE GAME SUCKS! LET IT DIE! Aug 6, 2003, 18:34 rogersbox

Why the hell would you let it die? Because you don't play it? If you don't like the game don't play it. Go play Everyquest or something. If it has so many people playing it must be so good!
It's going to die "soon"? I hope you die "soon" and raise the average i.q. of the population a bit.

22. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2003, 17:28 ExcessDan

writing for IGN means nothing since most of the reviews out of there are a joke and often seem pretty biased

"The" Dan
May Jesus Christ of Latter Day Fredricksons guide your sould to eternal salvation.

ExcessDan

21. Re: THE GAME SUCKS! LET IT DIE! Aug 6, 2003, 14:38 Maigrey

Only been playing WWII Online for about 6 months now, but I am hopelessly addicted. The game is simply addicting if you allow yourself to get immersed in it.

As for Kelvin Ma, he has a point, LOOK at SirBruce's chart. World War II online has CONSISTENTLY had around 10,000 player for 2 years straight. I think that says something about the game's ability to retain an audience.

While our community may be smaller than other MMORPGs, we are tighter and more dedicated. Yes the game caters to a smaller audience, but if you happen to be of our mindset, then you will be hopelesslly addicted.

See you on the line.

20. Re: THE GAME SUCKS! LET IT DIE! Aug 6, 2003, 12:57 Draconis

That last post sucked as it lacked all forms of common decency, constructive critism, logical thought, and/or the mental tolerance for any of us.

Like I said, WWIIOL will never be good enough for anyone. For some people, a bad aftertaste will always be lurking. Don't go with biased opinions from disgruntled players. Try it yourself. Its fun, and its free. If you don't like it, heck, don't subscribe-- it was fun playing with you in the meantime. If you do love it, welcome to the virtual battlefield. S! Soldat.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 12:58.

19. THE GAME SUCKS! LET IT DIE! Aug 6, 2003, 12:30 KelvinMa

THE GAME SUCKS! LET IT DIE!

They added a few new towns and a plane or two.. Whoopee .. Who cares they have been ripping people off for too long now.

Take a look at Sir Bruces chart here.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sirbruce/Subscriptions.html

They game has 10,000 +/- players. It's going to die "soon". Graphics are bad. All you do it sit a a table for a min to capture a town. Game sucks, gameplay sucks, graphics sucks, fanboys REALLY suck.

I'm going to be sick.
Kelvin Ma

18. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2003, 12:15 wheelz

Long-time gamer, here.

Father of 5, college grad, WWII enthusiast, and in-short, I've been there, done that. I've been paid to write simulation reviews for IGN in the past, have a good feel for what is & isn't good.

World War II Online is the most compelling, insanely addictive, and genuinely entertaining game I've ever played.

Anyone who can't appreciate the level of detail and overall depth of this title should stick to console games. You know who you are.

If you want metabolic-seeking plutonium munitions, stay the hell away from our game. You won't be missed. If you want something a lot closer to believable, a game based on historical equipment, this is it.

This is the Virtual Battlefield. Come get some.

17. Re: well I think.. Aug 6, 2003, 06:45 rogersbox

I as well owned the game when it was going through its initial stages. The 1 free month turned into many free months because the devs knew it needed work. I would have to agree that this game offers a very fun and unique experience if you get into it right. The best times were from the organized assaults on towns. I remember an assault where we had 30+ tanks and a couple of trucks full of soldiers and it was absolute mayhem. Calling in the air support and having a fleet of planes bombing the hell out of the place. I remember setting up as the german heavy artillery (flak something?) on a hill overlooking a town that we were trying to capture and just laying waist to all their armor that was trying to move into position.

16. Re: well I think.. Aug 6, 2003, 06:25 fredrickson

well, its a lot better than before.... i just spent god knows how many hours playing... its 6:20 AM. Its not good enough to pay for every month, but ill be playing it all week.

fly boy i will save you

15. Re: well I think.. Aug 6, 2003, 01:20 Soupkin

I gave it a shot.. i was in some kinda tank and coudlnt see what the fuck i was doing. Also you have to shift the gears of the tank as well.. so i dont know how this game is any fun at all.  
Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

14. well I think.. Aug 6, 2003, 00:41 SC4RF4C3

I play and subscribe to WWII Online, I bought the game from the start horrible release and was a horrible game then came the patches...all in all I never payed to play as they let you play for free for about the first 8 months of the games release, FINALLY came the 1.8 patch and that improved the game greatly..
NOW it has the 1.9 patch which once again improves the game greatly...
Now I get into why I continue to pay to play this game, Yea the main forums on the WWII online site are actually known as the playschool forums as more often than not its idiots posting there.
If you have played for even a week you would have heard of the 2 groups the AHC Allied High command and the GHC the German High Command these 2 areas are where the real players play, this is where squads/clans meet and are put into ranks.

Now this is where you may have more fun because this is where attacks are drawn up planned and carried out, there are squad only in game chat channels, as well as command channels air and so on...
There are many features that this game offers though it will not wow you with high end graphics ..

What also keeps me playing are the guys I have met and talk to on a regular basis, this is a huge part of the game.
If you like shoot em ups then this isnt for you..If you like a game where you have to actually plan and coordinate attacks the this is for you as you have limits to equipment infantry and so on ..

We use teamspeak for communicating also....

This game was horrible at the start but the community has made it into a great game in my opinion, I play this enough to know, do I get frustrated yea at times but Quake 3 also does...

Give it a shot for free !!!

13. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2003, 00:07 Bosco

Sorry but Iíve played WWII online a few months ago and its still as bad as it was 2 years ago. This game is about as successful as a do-it-yourself abortion.

12. No subject Aug 5, 2003, 23:28 Draconis

The game certainly has advanced further than I thought it would. It is a game I can love, but at times equally hate as much.

Its understandable with some of you guy's concerns. It caters to a smaller crowd then most games. It definately has its moments, but it does have its warts and deformities as well.

1.9 does add some great features. For some of you, no patch will change your disgust of wwiiol. For others, though, you might have really liked it, and were begging to have a reason to sign up for it. Well, hop on over and see if 1.9 presents you with that reason

11. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2003, 22:54 Bosco

Hasn't this game been out like 2 years and there is has been no ingame progress at all? I mean hasn't the fight in Luxenburg long enough?

10. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2003, 22:49 ExcessDan

i bought it when it first came out, should i reinstall that then download a patch ?

no patch can fix how shitty this game is.. NO PATCH

plus you have to pay to play... i only played it because of that 7 day free trial.. never again... never ever ever ever.. i can't believe ppl surrender their money for this shit

"The" Dan
May Jesus Christ of Latter Day Fredricksons guide your sould to eternal salvation.

ExcessDan

9. The battle for France, forever? Aug 5, 2003, 22:14 Bob Bobsen

You either love this game or you hate it. At 12.99 (why don't they just round it up to 13?) a month you can experience the battle for France and the battle for France, with the promise of further improvements, the battle for France. Boring. The only fun part is wagering how long your slightly critical post on their forums (Ha, only paid members can post!) will survive. I started out with the game in the begining, it was so screwed up that the 'Rats' sounded like a feverish group of nerds with their advice, "buy more RAM", "defrag your coffee maker", and "wait for the next patch". Try it yourself and see, but do NOT give any credit card info or they suck you into a six month non-refundable subscription.

8. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2003, 22:02 waxthirteen

"i bought it when it first came out..."

yeah, me too.. what a mistake that was, huh?

7. Re: No subject Aug 5, 2003, 21:57 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

Just to be safe I suggest downloading the free trial because the auto update might mess up.

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo