Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

'Battlestar Galactica' may be in for a fight on home planet (thanks Mike Martinez). Seriously now. Those of us that recall this show seem to all remember it fondly, but that doesn't mean that the cheese factor wasn't a little too high to guarantee a true remake the kiss of death. I don't blame the producers at all for altering the formula... If the original show was that good it would have lasted for more than a single series.

Play Time: QuakeMaster DDR. Thanks [DesRat]SlayerAODsk. The return of MC Hawking.
Stories of the Day: Gates Aims Billions to Attack Illnesses of World's Neediest (registration required).
Printers, scanners aid counterfeiters. And chisels help burglars. Film at 11.
Players take soccer to the streets.
Wild Science: The Sky's the Limit.
Could satellites find buried treasure?
Weird Science: Little Robots in Your Pants.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

24. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 16:40 fredrickson

i found a pic of chandan so you can better visualize the phenomenon

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1030614/asp/frontpage/story%5F2067830.asp

fly boy i will save you

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 16:37 fredrickson

not really

fly boy i will save you

22. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 16:24 Hollow Man

The episode with Starbuck you're thinking of is "The Return of Starbuck", which is the last ep. of Battlestar Galactica 1980 (the spinoff show you mentioned). It was the only good episode of that show. The rest of the series was absolutely dreadful (Boxy grows up and becomes a fighter pilot, yippee!), and thankfully only lasted 10 episodes.

The other episode you're talking about wasn't a movie, but sounds like "The Living Legend", where Cain, played by Lloyd Bridges, convinces Adama to stand against the Cylons. Cain's ship, the Pegasus, may or may not have been destroyed by the end of the show.

-HM

"I see a Hollow Man, gun in hand, it points my way." - The Cult

21. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 16:20 tron

creston - thanks for saying what needed to be said!

um, about bill gates, not battlestar galactica.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

20. Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 16:11 Creston

The show actually had a few episodes for the second season produced, but those never showed. The first season ended with Starbuck being stranded on that planet with the Cylon, who eventually "dies", leaving him all alone. I vividly remember that scene where he is on top of a pretty tall hill, bad weather gusting around him, looking around with despair written all over his face, as he realises the whole planet is like this, and he's probably the only one alive on it.

I didn't realise it at the time, but it was a cliffhanger for the second season.

There was another battlestar galactica series / spinoff, indeed with two new actors to play the part of Apollo and some other guy, where they are on earth and have invisible bikes and such. It was pretty crappy, although when you're 8 years old you tend not to notice such things.

There were also two movies made, the original pilot, and then a second movie in which they meet up with another battlestar that has a pretty cool Cylon BattleStar destroying megaweapon. It gets destroyed in that movie though.

All in all I didn't think Galactica was all that bad, even though they only had four shots of combat sequences, so every combat was with the Cylon breaking right and getting hit by the fourth series of lasers, the Viper being chased by the Cylon and then the Cylon gets nailed by an incoming Viper etc.
They had some pretty good episodes, including one where Apollo and Starbuck visit the actual ships that house all the refugees, and see the squalor and filth those people live in. (I believe it was to save that blonde who forever more has a love / hate relationship with Starbuck).

As for them remaking it, shrug, I don't think the original was cool enough that it NEEDS to be preserved, but seriously, if you WANT to take the Battlestar Galactica name (for instant name recognition I guess), you need to consider SOME things sacred, and changing the Cylons AND Starbuck is just fucking ridiculous.

Something tells me this remake series will have an even shorter lifespan than the original did.

Creston

Edit : As for Bill Gates, it never ceases to amaze me that people can find fault with him for donating so much money. So yes, it's only 0.89% of his entire wealth, when was the last time YOU donated 0.89% of your entire wealth to fight cancer or whatever?
He is under NO obligation to donate anything, much less under some obscure idea that he has to "fix things at home" first, and he has done a lot of good things with his donations, not the least of which is 200 million dollars of research money he made available last year, but which could only be used to research the not so "cool" diseases where 98% of the rest of the research money goes to, even though only 3% of the entire human population suffers from it.
In my opinion, good job Bill Gates.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 16:14.

19. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 15:43 fredrickson

dont call people idiot bastards

fly boy i will save you

18. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 15:29 verybad

Idiot bastards. It's marketers that screw things up. "Hey if we make Starbuck a woman, our target demographic doubles!"

Yeah right, just like that SOB Gary Bettman reducing fighting and scoring in the NHL made hockey more popular as a "Family" sport.

This will fail miserably. It's get lots of viewers the first night, by the end of the miniseries the viewers will be reduced to hard core fans watching because they have to prove to other hard core fans that they did watch it. In the end it will just suck.

17. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 15:02 JM

Wasn't it Frank Oz that did his voice and the voice of the large robot medallion on his chest?

I believe it was Mel Blanc.

16. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 14:49 Ihya

So it was Twiki then...

Going once...
going twice...

Right then! Wasn't it Frank Oz that did his voice and the voice of the large robot medallion on his chest?

back to battlestar... I thought there was another series where there were two new main characters instead of Starbuck and whatzhisface where they did find earth (or a place very similar) and were whizzing about on bikes... Maybe this was a TV movie afterwards or a bizzare dream.

Ah well. I always thought the ships were cool, even though they reused the same bloody group of three cylon ships with the middle one getting shot scene in all the space battles...

15. Motion Picture? Jul 13, 2003, 14:47 MuzixMon

Wasn't there a Battlestar Galactica movie back in the day? I remember watching HBO and seeing it. Did the movie come out first then the series follow it?

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

14. Buck Naked n' stuff Jul 13, 2003, 14:39 Halsy

Erin Grey was so hot! Ouch! Twiki was annoying.

The best part of BG was the Cylons, changing them destroys the best part of the series. What are they now? The Borg for BG? Sounds like it, sigh. I'm also sick to death of these modernizations that are so PC. Starbuck is a guy, not a chick, never will be. Every guy loves the wisecrackin' fighter ace who can score with the ladies. That's the friggin' aspect of the fantasy we identify with! The guy is livin' the dream, and we all want to be part of that. We simply cannot identify with females in that regard.
Thanks for the warning Mr. Almos, I shall avoid this thing like the plague.

While I think Bill deserves props for the whole philanthropy thing, that money really should be spent at home. The social contract permits (as well as protects) people like him to make those absurd fortunes in a safe environment. In short, he has a duty and obligation to help make things better at home, first and foremost.

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
http://www.mythicarealms.com

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

13. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 14:19 tron

oh man, you're right... i knew it wasn't Twinkie, so i did a search and found a site that had him referred to as Twiggy... but yeah, it was definitely Twiki.

thanks!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

12. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 14:14 ShockwaveRider

twinky? that's a delicious nuke-proof snack. buck rodgers had Twiggy !

Twiggy was a fashion model from the 60s.

http://www.twiggylawson.co.uk/photogallery.html

I think you're trying to remember Twiki.

http://www.scifi2k.com/buck_rogers/buckrogers.html (halfway down the page)

FYI.

11. Re: BG Jul 13, 2003, 13:57 fredrickson

ok

fly boy i will save you

10. BG Jul 13, 2003, 13:56 Gubbins

Starbuck will be a woman? Has the world gone mad?!?

The cylons wont be machines? The wold has gone mad!

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 13:58.

9. Gates Aims Billions to Attack Illnesses Jul 13, 2003, 13:52 Rambo

just doing it to have more customers

8. Re:Battlestar Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 13:51 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I think the reason for the demise of this show had more to due with the lawsuit filed by Lucas and ILM regarding the special effects used in the show. John Dykstra worked on both of these projects ( SW and Battlestar) and Lucas was none too pleased when they used some of the same tech tricks to produce some spiffy FX.

Also, the show wasn't exactly high cinema but it was a good time that had a few fun ideas regarding the whole aliens/Egypt connection ( mind you Stargate does it better but oh well).

As for the new show from what I have seen info wise, its not looking too sharp. THe bridge looks like something out of a Best Buy Television Deptarment and the Vipers ( which are aged combat ships) look like there were brought fresh off the assembly line.

Also, after reading one of the early drafts of the script, I see many other red flags. The Cylons no longer are the robotic descendents of an alien reptilian race but seem to be humanoid genetic creations of humans that have grown self sufficient and apparently want us dead. (been there done that over and over) Also, there were a lot of over the top sexual scenes that smacked more of Melrose Place than of Battlestar Galactica. I'm a big boy and no prude but I do realize that sex isn't the only way to sell a movie.

All in all, I don't think many people will be happy with this mini series, its pretty much set to make Dune from Sci-Fi ( not Children of Dune which remarkably turned out well) look like a masterpiece ( as opposed to it just being a Masterpiece-of-!#$&

7. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 13:39 tron

twinky? that's a delicious nuke-proof snack. buck rodgers had Twiggy !

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

6. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 13:33 Mangrove

Ooops, fair point. I think my memory is broken

5. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 13:29 Tony!!!

Wiggy wiggy wiggy??? Are you sure your not thinking of Twinky from Buck Rodgers?

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo