Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

'Battlestar Galactica' may be in for a fight on home planet (thanks Mike Martinez). Seriously now. Those of us that recall this show seem to all remember it fondly, but that doesn't mean that the cheese factor wasn't a little too high to guarantee a true remake the kiss of death. I don't blame the producers at all for altering the formula... If the original show was that good it would have lasted for more than a single series.

Play Time: QuakeMaster DDR. Thanks [DesRat]SlayerAODsk. The return of MC Hawking.
Stories of the Day: Gates Aims Billions to Attack Illnesses of World's Neediest (registration required).
Printers, scanners aid counterfeiters. And chisels help burglars. Film at 11.
Players take soccer to the streets.
Wild Science: The Sky's the Limit.
Could satellites find buried treasure?
Weird Science: Little Robots in Your Pants.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

44. Quakemaster DDR Jul 13, 2003, 21:39 Baudkarma

Stephen Hawking roolz!

I am not a man! I am a free number!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 21:34 Baudkarma

It's true for a sufficiently narrow definition of "charity".

Give away two million, get nothing back, it's charity.

Give away two million, get a three million tax break or gain five million in sales for your company because of good publicity, and it's no longer charity, it's an investment.

In other words, if you define charity as any act in which you give away more then you recieve, then it's pretty safe to say you'll always lose more then you gain.

I am not a man! I am a free number!

42. Re: Um no... Jul 13, 2003, 21:04 Bunko

Go Halsy! While it's great that he donates money and all, the reason he does is because a while back, people began to complain because he hadn't donated jack shit and was the richest man in the world. He's just doing it to keep up appearances for M$.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

41. Re: BG Jul 13, 2003, 20:55 fredrickson

yea i wish i could warm him up

fly boy i will save you

40. BG Jul 13, 2003, 20:40 DangerDog

The most memorable moment of the series for me had to be when a kid killed himself because they ended it.

39. Re: Um no... Jul 13, 2003, 20:25 Xenos Overdrive

#2) Tax breaks? News flash, the super rich (corporations and persons) don't pay taxes. This is why tax lawyers are paid so well, and tax laws have more loopholes than you can shake a stick at. See the following articles with Bill Gates Sr. regarding just the issue of estate tax alone (which the rich have just won on thanks to the GOP as per usual).

Actually, no, he's not obligated to donate anything. The laws that allow people to amass such wealth apply to all American citizens. What he earned privately and has in the banks accounts is his to do what he wishes with.

Uh, yeah they do pay taxes. Because Uncle Sam likes his share of money, too. The IRS is amazingly efficient at making sure everyone gives up their required cut. You cite some fine examples from one of the world's leading industrialist, but that isn't an issue of The Little Guy versus the The Big Rich Guy.

38. No subject Jul 13, 2003, 20:17 Hump

What's wrong with the idiots at Sci-Fi? They cancel their 2d highest rated show (Farscape) and replace it with crap like "Tremors" and "Scare Tactics" and now they're rewriting BG? Dumb asses.

I gave up on the Sci-Fi channel when they ran MST3000 into the ground by giving Bad Brains inc. pocket change for a budget and losing it's main talent, Trace Beleiu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

37. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 19:59 tron

do you mean financially? if so, please explain.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

36. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 19:50 Wowbagger_TIP

in charity you lose more than you gain.

That's not necessarily a true statement. It is quite possible to gain more than you lose.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

35. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 19:35 tron

Umm... that's a horribly generalized statement. You couldn't possibly back that up

sure i can. in charity you lose more than you gain. so how can personal loss be about greed? it can't. if people could personally gain from charity then everyone would be giving away everything. as for "how generous are they really". who cares? if gates dished out 2 billion and saves himself 50 million in the process, good for him!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

34. Um no... Jul 13, 2003, 19:15 Halsy

He is under NO obligation to donate anything, much less under some obscure idea that he has to "fix things at home" first

Yes, actually, he is.

#1) First you need to understand what the social contract actually is. When you do that, you'll have a better idea of why he has this obligation to the society which has not only allowed him to prosper-and remain prosperous-but has invested it's time and tax dollars which leads to people having these advantages in the first place.

#2) Tax breaks? News flash, the super rich (corporations and persons) don't pay taxes. This is why tax lawyers are paid so well, and tax laws have more loopholes than you can shake a stick at. See the following articles with Bill Gates Sr. regarding just the issue of estate tax alone (which the rich have just won on thanks to the GOP as per usual).

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2003-01-12-gates_x.htm

This one written by Gates himself.

http://www.prospect.org/print/V13/11/gates-w.html

Gates says it quite nicely here, and this applies to more than just estate tax, but the obligation in general by the rich as part of the social contract.

Like the "great man" theory of history, our dominant "great man" theory of wealth creation borders on mythology. Such folklore fills the pages of business magazines. In a recent interview, one chief of a global corporation was asked to justify his enormous compensation package. He responded, "I created over $300 billion in shareholder value last year, so I deserve to be greatly rewarded." The operative word here is "I." There was no mention of the share of wealth created by the company's other 180,000 employees. From this sort of thinking, it is a short distance to, "It's all mine" and, "Government has no business taking any part of it."

There is no question that some people accumulate great wealth through hard work, intelligence, creativity, and sacrifice. Individuals do make a difference, and it is important to recognize individual achievement. Yet it is equally important to acknowledge the influence of other factors, such as luck, privilege, other people's efforts, and society's investment in the creation of individual wealth.

Consider the many components of the social framework that enable great wealth to be built in the United States. Among them are a patent system, enforceable contracts, open courts, property ownership records, protection against crime and external threats, and public education. Even the stock market is a form of socially created wealth that provides liquidity to enterprises. David Blitzer, the chief investment strategist at Standard and Poors, recently wrote, "Financial markets are as much a social contract as is democratic government." When faith in this social system is shaken, as it has been by recent breaches of trust, we see how quickly individual wealth evaporates.

Dig?

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 19:17.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

33. Charity and Marketing, and YOU! Jul 13, 2003, 18:54 Tanto Edge

Waitigo Gates! W00P!
I have to say, I'm glad the guy is finally giving some substantial help (substantial in our eyes, modest in his) to the third world's needs. I'm tired of telemarketers asking my bum ass for money.
Anyhow, this doesn't surprise me. Simply put, he had to do something right, eh?
He can't get the software to work, so let's try charity. And while it is true that philanthropy doesn't generate money for an individual, it does drum up popularity.
Is Gates donating simply so people will buy software? I doubt it, but I can't say that's not part of the agenda. Fringe benefits, but benefits nonetheless.

Nanotechnology, now there's a funny article. I had no idea that these folks were claiming they had nanotechnology under their belts. It seems they'll be the ones responsible for surgical strikes against cancer tumors in the near future.. Go docker!

I honestly wish companies would quit with their misleading marketing strategies, or better still, I wish people would really stop falling for them. I'm glad there are companies out there who are willing to challenge each other in such a manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

32. What's Sci-Fi's problem? Jul 13, 2003, 18:47 Cholma

What's wrong with the idiots at Sci-Fi? They cancel their 2d highest rated show (Farscape) and replace it with crap like "Tremors" and "Scare Tactics" and now they're rewriting BG? Dumb asses.

31. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 18:45 fredrickson

dont be racist

fly boy i will save you

30. Re: good... Jul 13, 2003, 18:45 c r i s p y

Right then! Wasn't it Frank Oz that did his voice and the voice of the large robot medallion on his chest?

I don't know why, but every time I repeat the words 'large robot medallion' to my self I break out laughing... Maybe it's because the first time I watched that show I was young enough not to question the absurdity of designing a robot that could only walk around saying "beedeebeedeebeedee" while ensconcing the sentient brain robot in a large medallion?

---
Chris.

29. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 18:37 Wowbagger_TIP

yes - they do get a sizable tax break for the donation, but they still lose more money in the long run.

I think you need to look at each situation individually. How much would they have to pay in taxes normally? How much of a break do they get for whatever contributions they make? Only then can you tell how generous they're really being. Personally, if I knew I was going to have a choice between giving the money to the government or giving it to a charity of my choice, I'd definitely go with the charity.

philanthropy is never about greed, but charity instead.

Umm... that's a horribly generalized statement. You couldn't possibly back that up.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

28. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 18:16 tron

no way, zirik. lets say you have donated 2 billion, which gives you a tax break - the 2 billion will still set you back more than what you'd gain from the tax break. yes - they do get a sizable tax break for the donation, but they still lose more money in the long run. philanthropy is never about greed, but charity instead.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

27. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 17:58 zirik

billy the gates kid likes to donate money because he gets a huge tax break from it. if you were making millions every year and you are greedy and not want to pay taxes, one way of avoiding taxes is through deductions. donating money to non-profits is one way of doing that. most "philantrophists" do so out of greed. they get the benefit of being portrayed as a person who promotes goodwill but in reality wants to keep more of their wealth even after death.

26. Re: Galactica Jul 13, 2003, 17:36 WarPig

In my opinion, good job Bill Gates.

I'll second that.

As far as Galactica goes, the only thing I remember about it was being very excited about the show after the pilot but then after watching a few episodes not really being all that overwhelmed by the whole thing. It was alright but I wasn't all that upset if I missed it. Oh yeah, it was also a fairly big deal seeing Ben Cartwright doing his thing in space.

-----------------------------------------
I am WarPig... pull my finger!

GO SEAHAWKS!

25. No subject Jul 13, 2003, 17:27 Hump

All in all I didn't think Galactica was all that bad, even though they only had four shots of combat sequences, so every combat was with the Cylon breaking right and getting hit by the fourth series of lasers, the Viper being chased by the Cylon and then the Cylon gets nailed by an incoming Viper etc.

That seems to happen with a lot of sci-fi series. The first few shows have some nice special effects but the following episodes are just character interactions with a little bit of stock footage thrown in (the scenes Creston mention illustrate it perfectly). All of the Star Trek Next Gen series were guilty of this.

In other news: I still hate Battlestar Galactica.

PAH!

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo