Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeon Siege Add-on Unveiled

The Dungeon Siege Legends of Aranna Q&A on PC.IGN.Com talks with Gas Powered Games' Chris Taylor and Mad Doc's Ian David about Legends of Aranna, the upcoming expansion for Dungeon Siege. Here's Chris on the idea behind the add-on:

This new expansion pack is a collaboration of GPG, Mad Doc and Microsoft and takes place in the same world as the original game. Working closely with Mad Doc, we wanted to continue the adventure and yet tell another story that takes the player on a fantastic journey through the most interesting and lush environments. Aside from a completely new series of fabulous locations, players will notice UI enhancements, new monsters and a massive amount of new stuff throughout the game.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2003, 09:04 Panick

Yup, Gothic 2 is a really a great game,I loved it. But I don't think I will be able to replay it anytime soon.

It's alot like Gothic 1, but you can change the controls cause alot of people didnt like em. And the gamplay is great, good story and gfx.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2003, 03:17 RazorWynd

i played darkstone...that game pwned

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

20. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2003, 02:58 tron

you got it Tolerance - when i mentioned "boring simplicity" i was speaking of the gameplay, not the graphics. and i thoroughly envy your 'dank basement adventure' with your friends... reminds me of my younger years played good ol' pencil-n-paper D&D.

as for the DS engine, i think it's most impressive feature was that it never had to stop and load new levels or areas... that smooth transitional gameplay was a massive help to the immersiveness of the game. but, as you said, i doubt i'd ever play it through again... unless it is in a fit of nostalgia some years from now.

on a side note: anyone here ever play that game Darkstone? now *that* was impressive... it came out 2 years before DS, had full 360 degree rotatable and zoomable 3D graphics, and looked amazing for it's time. it was as addictive as Diablo but with a way better story and tons and tons of quests. but, for some reason, it never really got very popular. unfortunately it won't play on my current rig (i have no idea why) because i'd love to play through it one more time.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

19. No subject Jul 10, 2003, 02:51 Mr. Tolerance

the_culture: I wouldn't ever try to play Neverwinter Nights without some buddies. It doesn't feel at all to me like a game that should be played single player.

18. No subject Jul 10, 2003, 02:45 Mr. Tolerance

Hey Professional.. I think tron was talking about gameplay when he said boring simplicity. I mean, if he was discussing visuals, the part about micro-managing wouldn't make any sense at all.
(Also.. never say ALWAYS. Every rule has an exception, or if it doesn't yet, it will.)

I personally didn't find the Dungeon Siege engine to be that impressive.. it's easy to make a game seamless when it has weak graphics and very little work going on for actual gameplay.

Engines notwithstanding, I enjoyed the hell out of playing through it co-op with a bunch of friends. (Imagine, if you will, a bunch of nerds gathered with computers in a dank basement, playing through all of Dungeon Siege in two sittings... I miss all the free time I had in High School. I don't miss the dank basements though.)
I don't think I will EVER play Dungeon Siege again though.
This comment was edited on Jul 10, 02:53.

17. Re: YES! Jul 10, 2003, 02:41 the_culture

I tried NWN twice but gave up both times. It's combat system consisted of "swing-WAIT-swing-WAIT-hit-WAIT-swing". And WAY too much reading. Just get on with the story and action already. What turned me off the most was the limited party: you and a hired one.

Maybe it's just me but I've never understood those stupid D&D rules: levels caps, limited experience points, etc.

Granted, DS was more of a "lite" RPG and I wish the story and RPG elements played a bigger role. It would have been nice to have customized by character beyond his outfit.... I guess that's the Holy Grail of RPGs: finding that perfect balance. How's Gothic II? What are the controls and gameplay like?

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
http://www.planetunreal.com/le/sf/

16. Re: YES! Jul 10, 2003, 02:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Eh, got bored with Dungeon Siege before the demo was over. Very, very, very, very repetitive isometric action game.

15. Uh-Oh Jul 10, 2003, 01:37 fujiJuice

Well all this talk has gotten me to go back to DS one more time.

14. oh cmon Jul 10, 2003, 01:20 PHJF

boring simplicity my ASS, handdrawn visuals ALWAYS look better than 3D.

“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Blahh Jul 10, 2003, 01:12 tron

very good points Virus... the gameplay was lacking, only a step or two above that of Diablo... but, as you said, everything else was nearly perfect. still, overall it was a winner in my book.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

12. Re: YES! Jul 10, 2003, 01:10 tron

joe schmoe: bioware *is* using an engine like this in their rpg's - take a look at NeverWinter Nights... IMO it is the perfect mid-point between somewhat boring simplicity of a diablo or DS game, and the micro-managing complexity of a baldur's gate or icewind dale.

i *loved* NWN, and having just started the expansion pack, i can say that shadows of undertide has only improved on the formula.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

11. Blahh Jul 10, 2003, 01:04 Virus

The problem with dungeon siege was... for me atleast... that if you played as anything other than a caster (and you eventually picked up casting too, because it was almost a necessity), you NEVER did anything other than point, click, loot. You never got any special moves, or auras, or got to allocate your points from leveling up or anything. You just slowly got better, so slowly that you often wouldn't even notice it. Just attack with ranged weapon, when the monster got close you attacked with melee, and then you tossed in a few heals occasionally to keep everyone active. The engine was awesome though, along with the music and sound and whatnot... pretty much everything that WASN'T the gameplay was awesome.

10. No subject Jul 10, 2003, 00:51 Z

I beat this game in a little under a week...i will never be put back on my computer, no replayability and boring gameplay...no thanx

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 00:52.

9. Played through... Jul 9, 2003, 23:57 Paranoid Jack

...multiplayer(co-op)several times and made it over half way through the single-player before reaching burnout.

That took about 4 to 6 weeks. My fried and I had a load of fun and then moved on. I haven't been able to get back into it again since then. I have tried several times. Even tried a couple of mods. But just couldn't get past the feeling it was nothing new.

I downloaded Copperhead but have yet to try it out. Am I missing anything?

Most likely I will get the add-on if it has a little better story and more fleshed out NPCs.

8. Re: sigh Jul 9, 2003, 23:55 John

Is this the pack that makes the game FUN?

I knew that was comming. Obviously this game isn't for everyone.

I didn't get DS until a month or so ago, but havn't finished it yet because I got Gothic II and that took all my free time. I enjoyed it though (got to the swamp) and plan to finish it eventually. May even get the add-on if it looks good.

I'm also interested to see how DS2 turns out. I heard about it at E3 this year and saw the trailor thing.. but it didn't show any gameplay. Hopefully they listened to the gamers complaints about the first one and keep them in mind when working on the sequal.

This space is available for rent

7. Re: YES! Jul 9, 2003, 23:49 Steele Johnson

I'm playing it coop at the moment and I really love the engine. No loading of areas... just seamless gameplay... not stop. I say bring on more expansions with a little more depth and it will win. Game devs like Bioware et al should be using an engine like this for their rpg's. It's a perfect engine for 3/4 view. Hats off to the devs.

6. No subject Jul 9, 2003, 23:40 RazorWynd

i cant wait...i liked all the different enviroments and the interconnected areas with no loading screens inbetween

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

5. Hrm Jul 9, 2003, 23:34 Saba

I was hoping for a few changes to the whole gameplay; I would have much rather preferred a rebalance (and not have to download the same named mod) and a whole new story, as this continuation assumes the same cheese-powered (ohoho.) story from the first. More enjoyable if you actually give a hoot rather than phazing out during the cutscenes.

Oh, well. I could be wrong. The first one proved that click-and-pick, gander-and-listen* was enough to play through, but really didn't feel warrented of the pre-ordered 2-day shipping I had for it.

Definately keep James Mason Soundalike and Jeremy Soule as the respective narrator and composer, though

Edit: Jeremy Soule (Soul?) - Best. Sound. Composer. Ever.
This comment was edited on Jul 9, 23:48.

4. Re: sigh Jul 9, 2003, 23:34 ZigZang

I liked DS but I have to admit, once I'd done my 4th chicken run, I was pretty much done with it. I'd probably played more if there were a better way to deal with mod differences when playing internet multiplayer. It got so that i could never join a game as everyone was running different mods. I hope they can find a way to let people better manage it.  
ZigZang

3. sigh Jul 9, 2003, 23:21 PHJF

Is this the pack that makes the game FUN?

Cmon, the game has zero replayability. Playing through it all the first time was boring enough as it is.

“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo