Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tron 2.0 Demo

A multiplayer demo for Tron 2.0 has hit the internet after being included on the cover CD of a print magazine. Extensive efforts to determine whether it was kosher to have posted this have not resulted in any sort of response, but with the list of mirrors rapidly growing, it seems difficult to call it anything but released at this point. The demo of Monolith's upcoming movie follow-up includes a light cycle tutorial level and a pair of MP levels (Conscript's Revenge—also playable solo—and Corrupted Sector). The 161 MB file is available from 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), FilePlanet (registration required), FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, GameTab, Pregaming, and Worthplaying. Update: FilePlanet points out their "official" version is a different size than the CD cover copy, but it is in fact identical, and official word is that the powers that be are okay with the uncontrolled manner that this demo has been released.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

72. Re: Leak Jul 7, 2003, 00:13 indiv

NOT!. It was a leak by a german magazine. Buena fucked it over by calling it official. There's your answer.. It was an alpha build. Just wait till the game hits the shelves.

So... the game company (or publisher, rather) gave the German magazine an alpha build to release on their cover CD? Right.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: woot!!! Jul 5, 2003, 22:48 human

i would have prefered PRON 2.0 instead.

70. woot!!! Jul 5, 2003, 22:20 smashie

less than 51 days to go, omg i'm pissing in my pants....

forget it mr high and mighty master control i'll never talk!!!

69. Re: tron 2.0 msg board Jul 5, 2003, 07:17 smashie

could be, either that or they are sick of whiney a**holes!!:D

68. Re: tron 2.0 msg board Jul 5, 2003, 05:08 kyleb

but it was some crappy ass board software, i imgane they are going to put up a proper forum.

67. tron 2.0 msg board Jul 5, 2003, 03:43 smashie

all of a sudden and as if by magic its vanished, wonder what thats all about?? it was pretty lively over there!!;)

66. Re: Leak Jul 4, 2003, 23:17 fredrickson

blue you fat fuclk post some nEWS thats your job bitch
This comment was edited on Jul 5, 10:24.

65. Re: Leak Jul 4, 2003, 19:39 MarSoupEAl

"I saw it on the net... it must be true" <- right?

NOT!. It was a leak by a german magazine. Buena fucked it over by calling it official. There's your answer.. It was an alpha build. Just wait till the game hits the shelves.

64. Re: Leak Jul 4, 2003, 11:56 FuriousBroccoli

Fileplanet says it is an official demo, so my criticism stands. If words comes from buena vista stating otherwise, I'll apologize. But as it stands, releasing this demo as-is was a huge mistake. It crashes half the time, and net play is terrible, on EVERY server I tried.

63. Re: Leak Jul 4, 2003, 09:37 kyleb

hold the attack modifer button and press fire to preform a melee attack.

62. Re: Leak Jul 4, 2003, 05:33 Panick

Jesus, it's not a meele attack, you are supposed to hit the opponents disc back, that way he will get damaged instead. The regular block just returns the disc to the opponent.

And this is an old demo that was leaked. They don't even have it hosted on the official Tron 2,0 site.

There ARE disc trails, you CAN stear the disc (alot). It just depends how fast the server is. But the net code is crapy and is something that will be fixed. Otherwise I don't have any problems at all. Enjoying this demo alot.

61. Re: Leak Jul 3, 2003, 21:15 TimothyB

They only suggest lan for the light cycles. I've been playing hours of it everyday on the web and sometimes you can find a server with 8 cycles that isn't too laggy. There are also server settings so that when someone logs into a light cycle game only people with 50 ping can join a team, that helps weed out bad pings. It doesn't kick you though if you go over that once you've joined. I'm sure this demo represents an older version and that the net code is probably greatly improved or will be.

I can't stop playing it and I was just in the middle of EFII.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 21:17.

60. Leak Jul 3, 2003, 19:14 MarSoupEAl

The demo was a leak....

59. Re: Mini Review Jul 3, 2003, 18:18 Jay K.

I really disagree with this writer but DO respect his opinion. I was old enuf to understand the Movie when it came out and subsequently enjoyed the game at the arcades. I had a great time yesterday playing with great people that I met over the web. in what was sort of a virtual you-see-me-I-see-you chat room. I really am looking forward to this game and will probably buy it for the multiplayer aspect. I get the feeling that the author of this post hasn't seen the movie. Regardless, it was a fun time.

Cheers,

Jay K.

58. Re: Zzzz Jul 3, 2003, 16:43 kyleb

you can steer it by holding fire and i imagine the melee atack is handy in single player as well as fun with spectator disks on. as for the problem with not being able to see your disk and characters poping around, that sounds like you had mad packetloss; ping is not everything, try finding a solid server.

oh and bikes are only supported over lan as they probably don't want a bunch of 56krs bitching about not being able to play an extreemly twitch game with a 400 ping. however, a respectable connection that is under 100ms is plenty good for online lightcycle fun.

57. Zzzz Jul 3, 2003, 16:06 FuriousBroccoli

I wanted to like this game, but I had no expectations for it. So why do I feel so let down by this demo? It just has too many major problems, and I doubt they will be fixed by release.

1) The networking code is horrible...it doesn't seem like there is any sort of player prediction, so the characters just pop and float all over the place, which wouldn't be so bad if only you didn't have to lead them significantly to hit them or the ground they are heading for. C'mon, at 100ms I shouldn't see people popping all over the place. Don't get me started on LAN only bikes.

2) The disc is lame....I throw it and I'm expecting a nice trail so I can follow it and control it. But instead it just disappears, except for a tiny flash wherever it hits. So I think, hmm, maybe I can steer it. Nope. I can recall it. Throw it. Recall it. I could block another disc, if only they weren't invisible. And I can use a melee attack. Against a team on the other side of an uncrossable chasm. WTF do I have a melee attack for?

3) Character Animation- Does it even exist? All I see are people occasionally swinging their legs while they pop all over the screen.

So if Buena Vista is lame enough to release a MP demo with SERIOUS networking issues rendering the game unplayable even on a good connex, chances are the final release is going to suck just as bad. Someone put this game out of its misery.

56. thoughts Jul 2, 2003, 20:00 Sharpei Diem

This demo is out almost two months before the game is set to be released, so you have to figure the devs are still working on it. If it's true that this was an inadvertant leak through a mag, then their build is probably at least a month older (figure it takes time to get the game to the the mag, get it pressed and back in time to be inserted).

It's not like UT 2k3 where the demo came out after the game went gold, or NOLF 2 where it came out after release, so maybe they intended it to be more of a mp beta than a demo...

as for myself, I didn't notice much lag on the disk game. I'd like to see them slow the disk down a touch, but the mp certainly has potential, particularly since it is different than anything else out there...

55. Re: All I have to say is! Jul 2, 2003, 16:18 MindTrigger

lol, so who pissed in his cornflakes since then? haha!

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

54. Re: All I have to say is! Jul 2, 2003, 14:53 sc4r4b

lol

Hey rock climber, earlier Ant said the game was "fun" and a "major blast."

the best part about life is knowing you put it together

53. Re: All I have to say is! Jul 2, 2003, 14:20 MindTrigger

Comeone from someone who would put up a cartoon like that, I can gladly say that your opinion is shit as well.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo