Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES Vengeance Q&A

There's a TRIBES Vengeance Q&A on PC Gameworld talking with VU Games producer Chris Mahnken. Along the way he picks up the gauntlet when asked about comparisons to other highly anticipated shooter sequels, and tosses it right back:

I think we’ll stand up quite well with those titles, which is really saying something. The Doom 3 engine has no outdoor spaces, and the Half-Life engine has been in development since before Tribes 1 shipped. The real question is how they will match up to Tribes Vengeance game-play.

View
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

43. Re: He's right and wrong Jun 26, 2003, 21:12 KaRRiLLioN

If I'm not mistaken, the Unreal engine is more CPU dependent than the Quake3 engine, or other comparable ones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: n00b posters Jun 26, 2003, 21:12 sc4r4b

The UT2003 engine was in development for 1 1/2 years, if that. The Source Engine, pound for pound, for every concievable aspect outperforms every other game engine currently behind used or developed, SAVE for Doom3's engine, and perhaps Deus Ex 2's.

Yakuza-- I have read that Deus Ex2 uses a modified Unreal engine, just like T:V.

41. Re: He's right and wrong Jun 26, 2003, 21:08 sc4r4b

...but who really needs more than a 2400+?

I do.

40. Re: n00b posters Jun 26, 2003, 21:06 Steele Johnson

Dude, I do get a high fps, but choppiness doesn't only occur when you have a low fps due to vid memory and cpu. It also happens from net code, moving from interior to exterior, when a certain sound kicks in, disk reads, etc, etc. It's the programming that I'm worried about. All I'm saying is that tribes gameplay really relies on an engine that's based on the type of gameplay, and I've never seen the Unreal engine used in a way that's equivalent to tribes style of play (4 dimensions) and huge outdoor areas. Here's to hoping... because I'm a diehard tribes fan.

39. Re: n00b posters Jun 26, 2003, 21:04 Yakuza

Good gravy, he wasn't slamming Doom3 or HL2. If you do a little research you will see that the doom3 engine is not made to support wide open outdoor areas. He obviously has respect for HL2, implying that their game could compete seriously with HL2's pinache if he also had 5 years to develop Tribes Vengeance. Unreal engine is bad-ass, no two ways around it, and can definately compete with the HL2 engine.

Um... the Unreal Tournament engine is significantly behind in development AND performance AND capabilities than HL2's Source Engine. it can most definitely NOT compete with HL2 directly. The Source ENgine has been in development for 5 years. The UT2003 engine was in development for 1 1/2 years, if that. The Source Engine, pound for pound, for every concievable aspect outperforms every other game engine currently behind used or developed, SAVE for Doom3's engine, and perhaps Deus Ex 2's. Infact i would say the Source engine beats the flop out of Doom3's except for one aspect : Shadowing/Lighting. Doom3 seems to have taken the cake in that aspect. Of course, we won't know all this for sure until both games and be played and benchmarked thouroughly. This also has nothing to do with the fact that the freak job who's running the T:V development 1)Is working under a strict deadline. He says :

I never have a "when its finished" approach to making a game

Which, in other words means that Sierra's lawyers are calling the shot, setting the due dates, etc. They've got their arms so far up this guy's ass he's practically a puppet. Working from a "when its finished" approach is the BEST WAY to make a game, which has been displayed coutnless times in teh past by id, Blizzard, and now Valve. When you work from a specific schedule and are forced to meet deadlines, your product usually lacks the quality of competitors' games.

I would have more to say but I'm tired and so many of you have gone completely bitchcakes over this game already that there's hardly any reason to point out anything else from the Q&A which would undermine the Producer's comments.
This comment was edited on Jun 26, 21:27.

38. He's right and wrong Jun 26, 2003, 20:48 PsycSui

He's right in the sense that all 3 games should be compared based on gameplay and not graphics, especially since Tribes has always had crappy graphics. UT and Q3 engines both look better, outdoor environments (which they both support) or not. So does BF1942 for that matter.

On the other hand, D3 supports outdoor environments just like HL2 and T:V do. So, his comment is uninformed.

I'm getting my 9800 Pro next week in honor of Half-Life 2 and DOOM3 this year. Once that is done, my DOOM3 (I'm calling it that because I was upgrading before I knew HL2 was comming out) machine will be complete. MWAHAHAHAHA!

Athlon 2400+
1 GB dual DDR 3500
NForce 2 Mobo
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB

I know, my CPU sounds weak, but who really needs more than a 2400+? Besides, w/ my NForce 2 mobo, I can upgrade to a 3200+ after the AMD 64 bit CPU comes out.

37. Re: My 2 cents. Jun 26, 2003, 20:46 Cynic9

I dont' know how either are choppy. I play both with maxxed everything at 1280x1024. And my system isn't as good as yours.

As for comparing the skiing and part of tactics, most UT 2K3 servers I play on have low grav and 4x jump, so it wouldn't be much different then that.

36. Re: Unreal Engine? Jun 26, 2003, 20:12 BATTLE4MY

Thanks for clearing that up Chance

35. Re: Tribes gameplay Jun 26, 2003, 20:00 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

I HATE Jet-packs. Might as well play a flight sim not a FPS.

Yea, that third dimension is a little too much for you. Stick to your 2D shooters.

Capture the Flag (and other vartions of the same theme)is the be all end all of gameplay? Beat that dead horse.

What would you suggest?

What about a GTA kind of city, with unlimited number of factions/clans/tribes battling over different pieces of real estate, weapon or ammo facilities or vehicle shops? 24/7. Like a small Planetside (cityside) with no monthly fee and user defined/designed content (custom models/skins).

Yea, that'll work. And who will run this magical server that's up 24/7 with thousands of people playing at once with no monthly fee? You? Also, didn't you just say you hated CTF and forced teamplay? Yet you want factions in your fantasy game battling over a building (or flag).

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 20:02.

34. Re: Unreal Engine? Jun 26, 2003, 18:51 Chance

The Unreal engine is in more or less continuous development. Each new version just has a build number, internally they don't "name" them. Hence they are using the Unreal engine, build xxxx (whatever it is) and will be getting continuous updates on it through development of their game until they finish or freeze the features. They, of course, are free to modify it themselves as well.

33. Unreal Engine? Jun 26, 2003, 18:44 BATTLE4MY

All the TV bashing/prasing aside...in that interview he kept saying the "Unreal Engine" Im so confused as to all these Unreal engine. I mean surely hes not talking about the very first Unreal. I've also heard that there are like 3 diferent variations of this "Unreal" engine. Like there was an Unreal Warfare engine....It would be nice if someone cleared all this up:o

32. n00b posters Jun 26, 2003, 18:30 FuriousBroccoli

Good gravy, he wasn't slamming Doom3 or HL2. If you do a little research you will see that the doom3 engine is not made to support wide open outdoor areas. He obviously has respect for HL2, implying that their game could compete seriously with HL2's pinache if he also had 5 years to develop Tribes Vengeance. Unreal engine is bad-ass, no two ways around it, and can definately compete with the HL2 engine.

And to the guy who said the UT2K3 demo was choppy on his p4 w/radeon 9700...WTF is wrong with you?! You should be getting ~120 fps on that machine at hi-res. Try using more than 32MB of system RAM you n00b!

31. Re: My 2 cents. Jun 26, 2003, 18:10 Steele Johnson

I'm questioning the engine. I mean, both T1 and T2 were designed with engines that were built from the ground up to support large outdoor environments and multiplayer gameplay. I haven't played Unreal 2, but did have a chance to play the UT2k3 demo, and I'd have to say that it was quite choppy... even on my 2.53Ghz/9700Pro system. That would really suck for someone who relies on skiing as part of their combat tactics. In a game like tribes, where it's heavily skill-based, one little hickup and you'll have a spinfuser up your arse.

30. Re: My 2 cents. Jun 26, 2003, 17:55 sponge

Why does everyone hate this game already?

So they can inflate their egos by saying their game of choice is better.

29. Re: Tribes gameplay Jun 26, 2003, 17:51 Hump

Tribes gameplay?

1. I HATE Jet-packs. Might as well play a flight sim not a FPS.

2. Forced teamplay on pub servers is a joke. Teams get stacked. the team with more n00bz looses. fun. If I joined a real team/clan it would be different, but I do not have the time.

3. Capture the Flag (and other vartions of the same theme)is the be all end all of gameplay? Beat that dead horse.

You must be a real joy to hang out at a LAN party with...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

28. My 2 cents. Jun 26, 2003, 17:49 Cynic9

I agree with the fact that the games are totally different. I for one am looking forward to the new Tribes. Both of the previous games were great, and I'm sure the developers of it will be using them as a guideline.

Why does everyone hate this game already?

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 17:51.

27. Re: Arrogance Jun 26, 2003, 17:42 BATTLE4MY

Well said Creston

26. Tribes gameplay Jun 26, 2003, 17:08 Vladislav

Tribes gameplay?

1. I HATE Jet-packs. Might as well play a flight sim not a FPS.

2. Forced teamplay on pub servers is a joke. Teams get stacked. the team with more n00bz looses. fun. If I joined a real team/clan it would be different, but I do not have the time.

3. Capture the Flag (and other vartions of the same theme)is the be all end all of gameplay? Beat that dead horse.

What about a GTA kind of city, with unlimited number of factions/clans/tribes battling over different pieces of real estate, weapon or ammo facilities or vehicle shops? 24/7. Like a small Planetside (cityside) with no monthly fee and user defined/designed content (custom models/skins).

New graphix/physics, same OLD game.

And how does the statement "they have been working on HL2 longer" make us think HL2 will be WORSE? hahahahahahahha.

N.Aviles

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 17:24.

http://mercyful-fate.coven.vmh.net/

25. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2003, 17:06 human

The E3 HL2 video showed Freeman driving a jeep around a pretty big deserted lakebed or something.

24. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2003, 17:04 KaRRiLLioN

Just judging from past content and from what I've seen, Doom3 and HL2 probably won't have wide open spaces. I'm assuming the Unreal engine must be able to do some pretty wide open spaces for Tribes to use it. I've been playing Operation Flashpoint ever since it came out and you really have to adjust to wide open spaces and such on it. Most likely the Doom3 and HL2 engines will be great for urban combat but not for huge open outdoor areas. Maybe they will. I'm hoping that they can because, while fighting in close quarters is fun, I like to also mix it up with some wide open fighting as well.

123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo