Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New DOOM 3 Engine Game

This Splash Damage Job Listing (thanks Shacknews) has word that the Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory developer is looking for a graphics programmer to work on their "new project based on the Doom 3 engine." Before outlining their requirements, the London-based company makes this point: "We are more interested in your enthusiasm, talent and passion for game-play and design than in veteran commercial game development experience."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: DN3D sucked Jun 20, 2003, 01:57 DrEvil

I used to work for a game company and they had an opening for a programmer. 3 guys showed up. 2 of them had suits on an had degrees. The 3rd guy had ripped jeans, his toes were poking out the ends of his shoes, and he had a crumpled piece of paper with code on it that he had written the night before.

Ripped jeans from the time on his knees in front of the CEO?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 21:50 Quaternion

Them saying "we are interested in your enthusiasm" is enough proof for you to bash them as a bunch of exploiters? That's just plain stupid.

It's an educated guess. I'm not certain it's a sweatshop. Well most game companies are sweat shops compared to other coding jobs, so let me rephrase that: I'm not certein it's an uber-sweatshop, but I'd be very careful if I applied there. It's just advice. Take it or leave it. But it's stupid to completely dismiss free advice and throw it back in the person's face. I think I've been around long enough to know what I'm talking about.

Another piece of free advice: If you work on tools or on the engine, in a company that has a technology group, it's usually not so bad since you're not on the game teams and don't have their usually unrealistic milestones.

30. Re: DN3D sucked Jun 19, 2003, 20:38 ExcessDan

was this person you?

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.

ExcessDan

29. Re: DN3D sucked Jun 19, 2003, 14:42 babar

>How easy is it to get a game programming job without a degree?

I used to work for a game company and they had an opening for a programmer. 3 guys showed up. 2 of them had suits on an had degrees. The 3rd guy had ripped jeans, his toes were poking out the ends of his shoes, and he had a crumpled piece of paper with code on it that he had written the night before.

Guess who got the job?

28. #21 Jun 19, 2003, 10:52 SouL_DragooN

Wow, was I tired last night (and a bit grumpy)... and your exactly right =).. It is not as bad as I describe ALL the time but as crunch comes, or something goes horrible wrong with a tech decision yes it does get that bad and it can streatch long periods of time........just to get your bosses that new car =).
NO game company is the same. Maybe I should move out of the U.S. =)....

27. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 10:50 Lunchpail

How easy is it to get a game programming job without a degree?

It's possible, certainly (I don't have a degree). Your best bet is what you've probably heard a thousand times -- write a demo, prove you can code, and just start sending in resumes. Expect to be ignored and rejected by a number of places (yes, it sucks, especially for someone who fears rejection as much as I do).

As an aside, it's not as bad as others make it out to be. It can be, but then again, some of the people who complain about the hours they work (at least around here) are the same ones who take 1.5 hour lunches and play games one to two hours/day.

26. generalisation Jun 19, 2003, 09:23 quorn2002

'You know the English, they have this thing for pomp and circumstance' - The Dude

Wow, you must have met a lot of English people that I haven't. Or maybe you're making it up.

25. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 07:03 Chipper

Learn how to program in Open GL, then move on to Direct X and your set :).

Thomas Burt,

Trauma Studios
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 07:04.

Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

24. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 05:00 Term

This is why you should only work in games in a consultant/contractor basis. If you don't, guess what, your assignment is "the whole game".

Exactly. I've been working in the game business as a contractor for several projects/companies now and let me say thats it's the most comfortable way to make your living. While we face a global recession, jobs become very unstable, especially in the entertainment business. Don't let the numbers saying "world economy down, computer game biz still growing!" fool you, reality shows that more and more studios pay less, lay off talent or even have to shut down as a whole.

So being a contractor nowadays is much more efficient than any fulltime job: you don't have to relocate (just to be fired right after the game goes gold, heh), you have a waterproof contract saying what's your tasks and when to deliver, you usually get your checks on a monthly basis just as any fulltime employee does (although they pay you less, that much is true). And most of all it gives you the opportunity to work on several projects simultaneously which is a giant plus, at least for me.

I don't see the problem with this job offer, though. Them saying "we are interested in your enthusiasm" is enough proof for you to bash them as a bunch of exploiters? That's just plain stupid.

23. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 04:54 Cicatrix

How easy is it to get a game programming job without a degree? I was easily one of the top 5 programmers at my Uni. but I recently had to stop attending due to money and it really wasn't my kind of atmosphere. I have rather extensive programming experience but not a lot of game programming experience (besides some simple projects (i.e. tetris clone =/) on the side). I always drool over these job opps, but never have the guts to send in a resume.

22. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 04:45 Halo

I've never seen so many elipses in one single post in my entire life. Anyways Like he said, get a real game job I know a guy that works for dice and he's not going nuts.

~Halo

21. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 04:41 Ironpoint

This is why you should only work in games in a consultant/contractor basis. If you don't, guess what, your assignment is "the whole game". Having a contract means that they have to actuallly define what it is you'll be doing and you don't have to accept the risks of the entire project. You just do what you signed up to do: sound, animation system, ui (i.e. not the whole game) and thats it, you're finished. Being an employee just means that the harder you work, the more work you will get slammed on you. You're never finished until your bosses are driving very expensive cars.

20. No subject Jun 19, 2003, 03:19 Nonicknameforme

If its like you describe, i'd rather join the Army.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

19. hmmmmm Jun 19, 2003, 03:07 SouL_DragooN

""hey! Some of us would maim (or potentially kill, depending on the mood) for a chance to be abused as such. If only some of us had the balls (or degree) to actually apply for any of these jobs.""
I worked several of "these" jobs with a ton of enthusiasm ..... It will only get you so far... work your ass to the absolute bone... No WAIT... LISTEN ...Not the normal kind of work... NOT AT ALL... THE KIND VERY FEW OF YOU HAVE WORKED...the kind of work where I have just done 2 all-nighters looks like a 3rd coming on and I have done this every week for the last 32+ weeks .... the days I have not done all-nighters I have been at work just after the sun rose and saw my bed and shower for a minuite before the sun rises... just to return to work... the end is no where close... I am not being paid crap while my other programmer friends are banking... going into debt... no social life...everyone is pissed at everyone elses work level....I have not seen the light of day... all the while the business types and publishers in and around the company have been working 9-5... if that 9-5 is actually working most of the time they are goofing around breaking your work cycle to show up at 6-7pm with a RUSH JOB they forgot about until they had to leave... ... . . I warn you with the degrees I have and the experience ... watch out for job offers like that.. that is a SCARY instance... I agree to be in the industry it is a MUST and ALREADY A GIVEN to have a crazy degree of enthusiasm... BUT some companies choose to abuse those willing to work like mad for peanuts and EVERYONE... yes YOU.... has a breaking point.. and are life wreckers... even I thought I was unbreakable ... Then it is Complete... the game goes out the door... WEEEE... will it sell well... that will make or break your current jobs future.... welcome to the game industry.. please drive thru...

They may have worded their advertisment wrong.. but when they are not asking for experience worry that your co-workers might have also not have gone through that INFERNAL flame that is game development.. it takes a special breed .. be ready for it...

18. Re: freebie Jun 19, 2003, 01:39 ExcessDan

Well they can't keep making free games. Enemy Territory is REALLY fun.. if they made a game like it with the Doom 3 engine and made it with 2 or 3x the amount of maps it would be well worth the buy (full price). I'm sure you'd agree. These people actually deserve to make some money.

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.

ExcessDan

17. Re: translation Jun 19, 2003, 01:26 Quaternion

Been there, done that. I don't mind some OT during crunch time but I like having a life and playing games too so the crazy hours can get annoying. Plus people get bitter and jaded and bitch all the time so you have to put up with that. But it sure beats working on boring accounting software or shit like that.

16. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 01:16 Ray Marden

Last I recall, the rights had been chopped up and were being held by more than one company. If I recall correctly, this was the specific reason that Irrational would not or could not do a sequel.

Loving both System Shock games,
Ray

-----------------------------------------
09-30-03: Ph33r t3h crowbar!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Playing: Enclave, Neverwinter Nights, and Will Rock. Where are all the good games?

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

15. Re: translation Jun 19, 2003, 01:15 Cicatrix

We're running a sweatshop here and we want someone who'll be so happy to work on games that he'll work 40 hours of overtime a week, for months on end, for free!

hey! Some of us would maim (or potentially kill, depending on the mood) for a chance to be abused as such. If only some of us had the balls (or degree) to actually apply for any of these jobs.

Some of us sigh.

14. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2003, 00:47 Xenos Overdrive

EA gave up the rights to System Shock a while back, sometime late last year. Supposedly Irrational holds the trademarks now. Since Looking Glass made its rather sad fall from grace several years ago, Irrational is the logical developer to hold it.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 00:48.

13. translation Jun 19, 2003, 00:41 Quaternion

"We are more interested in your enthusiasm, talent and passion for game-play and design than in veteran commercial game development experience."

We're running a sweatshop here and we want someone who'll be so happy to work on games that he'll work 40 hours of overtime a week, for months on end, for free!

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo