Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Oblivion Lost Q&A

There's a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Oblivion Lost Q&A on GameSpot talking with Alexei Sityanov of GSC Game World about their upcoming game of post apocalyptic hijacks. Here's a bit on how they ambitiously are hoping to carve out their own sub-genre: "We see the gameplay of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as a new stage in computer game development. It will be a blend of 3D action with RPG elements, an attempt to create a virtual reality with "live" characters populating it. It's a world where the Zone lives independently of your actions--game characters accomplish their deeds, yet the Zone's own events, and tragedies, occur independently. This is our attempt to create a new game genre, something like a 'living' RPG. That very feature will open up an incredible level of freedom while playing the game, and it will also provide lots of replay value, thanks to the fact that the storyline will be a little different every time you try to complete the game."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: wow Jun 14, 2003, 00:36 Mad Max RW

I tend to reserve judgement until after a game is released. These days the biggest games that promise the most innovations usually fail miserably.

I'm giving STALKER regular coverage at DAC (duckandcover.net) because I think it looks cool and they have some great ideas. If I thought it looked like garbage and there was no chance of success, then I wouldn't waste my time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Dan Jun 14, 2003, 00:22 LordSteev

I am assuming you are not old enough to have actually worked in the game industry (I used to work at GT Interactive)

I think your lying. I think you're 15. I think mopping the floors at GT doesn't really qualify you to say you "work in the bizz". I think maybe you might have helped them beta test a game once.

-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

30. Re: wow Jun 13, 2003, 18:31 Soupkin

Thats what im doing, keeping a eye on stalker and hoping it will live up to what they are saying it will be. Sure there are chances it will be a horrible failure like a postal 2, or a wayne fleury.
But this is a title worth keeping a eye on.

It seems like kenny just wants to see them fail for no reason.

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
Postal 2 sucks.
This comment was edited on Jun 13, 19:03.

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

29. Re: Dan Jun 13, 2003, 18:23 ExcessDan

Wow, I'm assuming you were fired from GT due to your extremely cocky and terrible attitude. I never said I had any experience in the field nor knew anything about game development. I have no idea where you're getting this from.

P.S. I hope you die.

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.

ExcessDan

28. wow Jun 13, 2003, 18:05 Shataan

you`d think by now anyone who has played early leaks, betas et al, would be smart enough to know these are unfinished product they are basing their holier than thou oppinions on. And yes I still applaude what GSC is attempting with STALKER. It sure is a hell of alot more interesting allround than Unreal 2 for example.

And as well I don`t give a rats azz how much experience anyone who shows up here says they have in the games industry. Devs are not Gods, and more often than not get caught up in screwups, and lies all the time. So please, no flagwaving here.

I know a few devs myself actually, and most of them won`t answer straight questions put to them. lol Whatever...

You don`t dig STALKER? Don`t buy it. I, like others here will keep my eye on it, play the demo, watch any preview vids that come for it. And read previews and reviews.

27. Re: Dan Jun 13, 2003, 18:00 Kenny Arinson

No, I just think that you are an ignorant twit who knows nothing about game development and should therefore refrain for positioning himself as "in the know". Will Rock has simple AI on purpose, as does Serious Sam - you can't place 50 opps on a screen at a time and expect them all to find hiding places, it just won't work. But of course, I should defer to you because of your extensive experience in the field. Do you work in the games business? Do you have a clue what goes into production? I didn't think so...

26. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2003, 17:42 Bunko

Oh dear. Here comes another HL2 related battle.  
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

25. No subject Jun 13, 2003, 16:53 rajajujuman

You valve worshipper guys are setting up HL2 to be a failure by default. There is a certain point at which hype overtakes the possibilities that reality can offer.

24. SOL Jun 13, 2003, 16:42 CyBeRpImP

Funny how this game no longer interests me with HL2 coming out soon, and Stalker... not.

23. No subject Jun 13, 2003, 15:36 Bunko

I hereby dub this game "The Holy Grail of FPS". Now, if only GSC can find it.  
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

22. No subject Jun 13, 2003, 14:33 ExcessDan

Mr. "Better Than Everyone Because I Worked at a Failed Publisher" Arinson, lighten up. You're impressed with the 'spawn outta nowhere and mindlessly run at you and attack' AI from Will Rock meaning any AI they put in STALKER will be better than that so there is nothing for you to worry about.

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.

ExcessDan

21. Re: Stinker is more like it Jun 13, 2003, 13:54 Soupkin

Yeah the game isn't even finished yet, I remember the quake 1 and 3 beta leaks were you would just walk around with a half ass gun, I thought they would be crap as well.

the game is being done in Ukraine I am sure you will have no problem stealing a copy of it to test it for yourself first.

And I dont have to go anywhere to steal a game, see the internet is hooked up all over the world! Kenny how's your lover will rock treating you?

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
Postal 2 sucks.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 13:55.

Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

20. please make it work fellas!!! Jun 13, 2003, 13:51 rajajujuman

I have been waiting for years for an AI model like this to be implemented... A friend and I were going to create a game once upon a time, and I had fleshed out the theoretics of putting such a model into practice. Its not impossible from a logistical standpoint - and on the scale of a game like STALKER it shouldnt be that hard to nail down. No, im not a programmer so I really have no clue about the coding involved, but from a design standpoint it is immenently feasible.

The original idea I had was to create a model like this for an entire world or region, and to have the scope of a few generations of time. It would have been a low-tech fantasy type world (because you have to cut corners somewhere if you are going to obsess on detail) A database could hold relevant data pertaining to each spawned entity, which would be tracked purely by numbers and stats until the player came across them. I got pretty technical with the various details of life, power, motivations, quirks, etc. etc., but quickly came to the realization that such a game would have to be entirely unscripted from a situational standpoint. This created further details in terms of npc interaction. But overall, I think it could be done. The end result would be more like a simulation than a game per se, that is unless you could get the NPCs to make the storyline for you. That was what I had been working on when my friend decided to go work for Coca-cola instead. Cest la vie!

19. Too soon to tell.... Jun 13, 2003, 10:29 Rick O'Shea

The game isn't out yet, so everyhing said now is hype vs. cynicism. People who've played a preliminary version of the game will have a more valid basis for their opinions, but their opinions are still opinions and they are preliminary.

My slant? I want this game to be everything it is trying to be. In particular, I like the idea of replayablity that it offers. If it's done properly, then the first time through will just be a learning experience for future attempts, not an "OK, I beat the game, put it away now" deal.

If it's not done properly, and the game sucks, then I want other game developers to notice the concept and try to give us some variable, non-linear experiences for our $40-50.

18. Re: Stinker is more like it Jun 13, 2003, 09:54 Mad Max RW

I've spoken with several people who played it at GDC and E3, and they said the same thing. No AI, and very little to show besides level design. The numerous shaky cam vids from E3 back this up. GSC Game World has a lot of work to do if they want to get it out the door FINISHED by 4th Q 2003.

17. Re: Stinker is more like it Jun 13, 2003, 09:49 Kenny Arinson

Oh yeah more thing Dan "all they have to do is get their AI together". Do you realize that the only thing the separated Halo from the rest of the FPS crowd was its stellar AI. I can say with unabashed certainty that you have no clue what goes into game development if "all they have to do is get their AI together". That is, without question the most complicated aspectof creating a compelling FPS experience. I am assuming you are not old enough to have actually worked in the game industry (I used to work at GT Interactive) but before you attempt to speak intelligently about a subject it would make sense to actually know what you are talking about. Anyone can make pretty environments, the challenge is creating AI that makes gameplay immersive - I have played Stalker (I haven't seen any videos). GSC should stick with games like Firestarter,which is probably what Stalker will turn into.

Oh and one more thing, the founder of GSC used to run a software piracy company, so Soupkin will love this game.

16. Stinker is more like it Jun 13, 2003, 09:42 Kenny Arinson

I played Stalker this year at E3 (I work for a hardware vendor). There is no AI and no gameplay at all. The environments look great but the in-game character models look like crap, the animations are extremely limited and poor and the weapons look like they belong in Quake 2. All you do is walk around. You can talk all you want about what you "think" it is going to be, but I have seen it and there is nothng to look at. Time will tell, but if this game turns into anything I will be shocked - the concept sounds fresh but actually if the actual implementation is anything other than sheer unadulterated boredom I will be very surprised.

But, hey Soupkin the game is being done in Ukraine I am sure you will have no problem stealing a copy of it to test it for yourself first.

15. Gothic 2 release date Jun 13, 2003, 09:31 Alistair

#5 Gothic 2 is on UK shelves as of today... I'm sure someone will ship transatlantic if that's where you are. Lots of people asked this question on the rpgdot Gothic forum.

14. Re: Stalker? We'll See Jun 13, 2003, 05:54 Jobz

"an attempt to create a virtual reality"

i cant believe they think ppl will fall for this shit, so its an RPG/FPS/VR Role Playing game in a ghost busters style set in Chernobyl.

they forgot to mention the sidekicks

13. Stalker? We'll See Jun 13, 2003, 04:36 MeatForce

Soups, et al,

That's just it. They're openly saying that they are attempting to create an original gameplay experience here, and I (for many) totally endorse the effort.. but it remains to be seen whether or not they can bring their vision to fruition.

I figure the very worst they can do is something resembling Morrowind but set in modern times, and with none of the stuff that makes it Morrowind (ie: swap magic for 'anomalies'; bad gameplay for gameplay, then add good combat; a decent engine, highly contextual dialogue, a story that grips, great physics, cunning AI, truly crazy graphics, vehicles, rats, rats, [have we had a decent dosage of rats since Fallout 2?], and a secret [fucking backward, unfortunate, & stupid] sauce that maybe only nVidia cards can make sense of.. ugh...). Whatever. $$$.

I'll gladly play that game, and I fully expect them to deliver something unique here, whether it's good or bad.

Shit, at the very worst, I have family who live right there, so it'll just be cool to circle-strafe the ol' homestead in a Lada if that's the best they can manage.

But it's not.

THIS GAME WILL ROCK!!

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo