Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Take Two versus Duke

Developers of Duke Nukem take on Take Two on CNN Money is an article examining some of the behind-the-scenes intrigues between Take Two Interactive and 3D Realms surrounding Duke Nukem Forever, 3D Realms' 'when its done' shooter. The article discusses the recent shots fired in this conflict (story), and describes why, even as tensions may be surreptitiously rising, this situation is likely to remain a standoff:

Both companies are caught in a nasty Catch-22, though. 3D Realms says it is fully funding the game, which takes away any leverage Take Two might normally have. But 3D Realms can't shop the game to another publisher, no matter how frustrated it gets – despite Broussard's claims that "we'd find a new publisher so easily it isn't even funny."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

31. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 18:08 Paul van den Berg

I found this to be especially funny:

"“We have every intention of converting Duke Forever to the Nintendo 64. We'll probably have the same companies working on Quake 64 do the port."
http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/april97-4.html

Wonder if that's still on....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 17:57 LordSteev

that would be two words and an ampersand

don't you mean two words & an ampersand?

-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

29. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 17:54  Blue 

That would be 3 words.

No, that would be two words and an ampersand, which is a punctuation mark.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

28. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 17:48 -=(Maverick)=-

Marketing & distribution.

That would be 3 words.

No, silly! "And" is not a word, it's just short for "Active Network Diagram".

In other news, I found this quote from Scott Miller in Blue's Archive, just to show how long six years really is:

“We have every intention of converting Duke Forever to the Nintendo 64. We'll probably have the same companies working on Quake 64 do the port."

---
The trouble with the global village are all the global village idiots. - Paul Ginsparg

27. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 17:31 Santiago

Marketing & distribution.

That would be 3 words.

-----------------------------------------------------
http://nicebreakers.gotdns.com
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!

-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

26. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 17:20  Blue 

i'm just wondering what else the job of the publisher would be in this case.

Two words: Marketing & distribution.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

25. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 17:17 waxthirteen

what i don't understand is if they're "fully funding the game" why do they need a publisher at all? i thought the point of a publisher was primarily to provide funds to the developer to make the damn game. i'm sure it's not that black and white, i'm just wondering what else the job of the publisher would be in this case.

hah. they should just release it on their website as a pay/download.

24. Re: RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 17:13 Jedi Master

I'd guess their $5 million "loss" is like the "losses" the movie theater I worked at rated their losses.
If 5 large drink cups were unaccounted for at the end of the night, at $3/each it was considered the register was "$15 short." In fact, it was merely the POTENTIAL for $15 in the register, when those 5 cups probably cost 5 cents all together.
Maybe T2 means "We'd planned on making at least $5.5 million on DNF already, and since it's not out, we're PO'd at 3DR, and want our stocks to do great, we'll claim this lack of income as a loss!"

The Jedi Master

23. RE: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 16:58 Liquid

I hate to defend DNF, but...

I remember that "not even funny" comment on Shack. That was specifically in reply to the question "What if T2 drops the game?"

Take Two, or a mythical replacement publisher, spends no money on DNF, 3DRealms covers all the expehses themselves. The recent action of T2 posting a 5.5 million dollar loss on the game was a great strategy for them, because GTA made them rich this year, and if the game ever does come out they'll be able to post it's profits as windfall income. In non-beancounter reality world, it makes no difference whatsoever for T2 or 3DR.

GeorgeB is right, no publisher would turn DNF down. There's no risk save some of your staff's time, and if the game does ever ship, even a small cut of it will be a big dollar amount. That's why Take Two is never gonna let it go, so it's pretty much irrevelant.

--
I like the Quake 3 Arena.

22. Re: Frustrated? Jun 11, 2003, 16:17 Quaternion

DNF also means Did Not Finish (in racing).

Coincidence?

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 19:37.

21. Re: Publisher Jun 11, 2003, 16:09 LordSteev

So....publisher's are just leaping at the chance to throw money into a sinkhole'd void that will have the daikatana effect of "would have been great 4 years ago"?

A bit naive I feel....

Uhh, DNF is fully funded by 3Drealms, so how do you figure it's a "sinkhole" for developers? A bit naive on your part I feel....

-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

20. Frustrated? Jun 11, 2003, 15:56 X-Vector

I thought that comment meant that it's not up to 3DR to 'get rid of' Take Two, if that company isn't willing to sell the publishing rights (yet).

Would be a bit strange if 3DR would go out seeking a new publisher behind T2's back and then confront them with "alright, found another willing and eager party who'll fork over the cash you paid IG for DNF, now fark off!".

Don't know if Broussard's claim is all that outrageous though - in light of what T2 apparantly paid for all things Max Payne, what's a few million?

We're on an express elevator to hell... going down.

We're on an express elevator to hell... going clown.

19. Re: Jun 11, 2003, 15:44 calamitycorpse

Hey at least the title is living up to its name.

18. Re: Jun 11, 2003, 15:40 CultureShock

But 3D Realms can't shop the game to another publisher, no matter how frustrated it gets - despite Broussard's claims that "we'd find a new publisher so easily it isn't even funny."

One lie. How many more? In any case, what sort of klutz gets hardwired into a contract like that? Better cut me that cheque for $100K before it gets too hot George. A fool and their money are soon parted...

"Save the attitude for someone who cares." - Judge Dredd.

17. Re: Jun 11, 2003, 15:01 MyRealName

Wow, I'd forgotten all about Prey.

*boggle*

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 15:03.

16. Re: You have to admit... Jun 11, 2003, 14:51 Pete

"realistic (if not conservative)" -- If the game doesn't come out soon, I may just have to retract that.

are you going by realistic types of soon? or more of the 3DR type of soon?

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

Doin' it Big

15. No One Cares Jun 11, 2003, 14:50 MajorGeeks

I saw the title, aint read comments here, nor the article. Lost interest, holler if it ever goes gold.  
http://www.majorgeeks.com

14. DN Episode XVII - Take Two Takes On 3DR Jun 11, 2003, 14:03 vacs

Sit down, grap your popcorn and enjoy a completely new and refreshing episode of "Making Of Duke Nukem It Takes Forever"!

Have fun

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 14:06.

13. Re: You have to admit... Jun 11, 2003, 14:01  Blue 

I agree. We're at what? 5 years now? And it's looking like it'll be at least 6? I'd go crazy...

Nope, we're at six already, as Duke Nukem Forever was first announced in April 1997.

http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/april97-3.html

When the press release followed, the original described release date was "early 1998," and in light of what's happened, I am amused by my aside from the time amid (now justified) skepticism about Prey suggesting that this was realistic.

Here's what I wrote at the time:

http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/april97-4.html

Interesting matter of fact statement from the release: "...When Prey is released late in 1998..." Historically, in game development terms, late 1998 could well equate to a year 2000 release, though the Duke release date seems realistic (if not conservative) since it does not hinge on engine development.

"realistic (if not conservative)" -- If the game doesn't come out soon, I may just have to retract that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

12. Re: You have to admit... Jun 11, 2003, 13:38 nin

I would hate to work on the same project, day after day for what, how many years? I'd lose what was left of my mind.

I agree. We're at what? 5 years now? And it's looking like it'll be at least 6? I'd go crazy...

I seriously wonder what they do on a day to day basis over at 3DRealms. I mean, is there no management? No ambition? Are people just f$%*ing around all day? Are people even coming into work?

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo