Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Take Two versus Duke

Developers of Duke Nukem take on Take Two on CNN Money is an article examining some of the behind-the-scenes intrigues between Take Two Interactive and 3D Realms surrounding Duke Nukem Forever, 3D Realms' 'when its done' shooter. The article discusses the recent shots fired in this conflict (story), and describes why, even as tensions may be surreptitiously rising, this situation is likely to remain a standoff:

Both companies are caught in a nasty Catch-22, though. 3D Realms says it is fully funding the game, which takes away any leverage Take Two might normally have. But 3D Realms can't shop the game to another publisher, no matter how frustrated it gets despite Broussard's claims that "we'd find a new publisher so easily it isn't even funny."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

51. nukem Jun 13, 2003, 20:21 Gus

Now everbody has to admit the original game was awesome, no one would be talking anywhere about it if it sucked DD.
IMO it was original,funny & FUN. despite all the politics &
fighting going on (& engine changes 1 more IMO)i for one am looking forward to its release i have patience i suspect ill be playing a Modded HL2 level but i will still buy it if they stay true to the duke character.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: OMG Jun 13, 2003, 06:07 vacs

This thread really is exactly 47 posts long!

47? I thought it was 50 posts long

49. Re: OMG Jun 12, 2003, 14:34 Jobz

here's a tip george, release the game when theres another major terrorist attack, then ppl might not notice how bad it is.

48. OMG Jun 12, 2003, 11:33 World war 3

Santiago, you were right!!

This thread really is exactly 47 posts long!

Hats off to you my dear sir!

_______________________ __ _

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

47. Re: planting the seeds Jun 12, 2003, 11:02 CultureShock

With only seeing what Goerge had to say to you (I am not a 3DR fanboy), don't you think you are a bit biased?

No. George only just locked one of his "contain and control" threads because someone pointed it out to them, and another comment highlighted how they like to diss any post that's critical as a troll or a flame, even when just cause doesn't exist. It's all about spin control.

"Save the attitude for someone who cares." - Judge Dredd.

46. Re: planting the seeds Jun 12, 2003, 10:48 shul

...and they even diss their own fanboi's

With only seeing what Goerge had to say to you (I am not a 3DR fanboy), don't you think you are a bit biased?

45. Re: planting the seeds Jun 12, 2003, 09:18 CultureShock

Prediction here. What this article and these other rumors are really about is planting seeds for the future. If DNF comes out and bombs, they are planting seeds to place the blame.

That figures. Cast an eye over the 3DR forum and you'll find multiple examples of 3DR putting the blame on someone else where it's expedient, and they even diss their own fanboi's. It would be really cool if this game lost money. That'd teach 'em to treat everyone like a rube.

44. planting the seeds Jun 12, 2003, 07:39 jccalhoun

Prediction here. What this article and these other rumors are really about is planting seeds for the future. If DNF comes out and bombs, they are planting seeds to place the blame. "It's not our fault! Our publisher interfered in the developement! They are to blame for DNF sucking!" mark my words. That's whats going to happen if DNF is a failure and they can say, "look we were complaining about them way back them!"

www.popularculturegaming.tk

www.popularculturegaming.com

43. The real reason why DNF is late: Jun 12, 2003, 04:43 tubs

3D Realms are waiting for the next Evil Dead movie to come out, because they need more of Ash's quotes to rip off.

42. Re: You have to admit... Jun 12, 2003, 03:03 shul

check out what carmack had to say about that...

I'm sure you have all heard about the 3drealms / quake deal by now. It took a long time to get everything nailed down, but it should be worth it.

The "quake 2" terminology is a little confusing. They have all the quake / glquake / quakeworld stuff right now, but they will be picking up the quake 2 codebase after we finish it.

I'm quite excited about this -- it should be a very complimentary arrangement. We would never have done a game like Duke at id, but there are many valid styles of design that are mutually exclusive. Todd and the rest of the Duke team are hard working developers with a pretty clear vision of what they want. It happens to be different than our vision, but the market is plenty big enough for both of them.

41. Re: You have to admit... Jun 11, 2003, 23:02 adrenaline

It is funny reading the old news. It's comical how much interest was in developer's .plan updates back then. I mean for something like this to be a new update:

Plan
Steve Towle updated his .plan with a gone fishing notice, he'll be back in a week, so if you've got anything going on with the demo archive at cdrom.com, it will be on hold for that long.

Plan
Disruptor updated his .plan with his feelings about some IRC Ops."

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 23:03.

40. Re: You have to admit... Jun 11, 2003, 22:10 WarPig

Nope, we're at six already, as Duke Nukem Forever was first announced in April 1997.

http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/april97-3.html

Every time I'm taken back in time, Blue's News style, I can't help but read every post. The Threewave CTF stuff almost brought a tear to my eye - those were the days. There's always one thing that really brings home how much things have changed during the last six years or so, and for me it was this quote:

There's a couple of do-dads up on the Dank and Scud newspage, a really cool looking banner to link to them that I would display, except that at 124 KB is larger than many quake patches.

-----------------------------------------
Of course I could be wrong... but really, what are the chances of that happening twice?
This comment was edited on Jun 11, 22:13.

GO SEAHAWKS!

39. Re: The Lie Of The Bland Jun 11, 2003, 21:35 CultureShock

Yeah, I'm remembering that he said that the extend of his involvement in Max Payne was packing boxes so that the game would ship on time.

No, there's more. They sent a team over to Remedy. It knocked three months out of the DNF schedule. They didn't admit to this at the time, even though fingers were pointed, it slipped out after the noise had died down. Looks like they've gone back to the original spin.

How deep do the lies go George?

C'mon. Cough up you lying git.

38. Re: The Lie Of The Bland Jun 11, 2003, 21:02 Raven

Yeah, I'm remembering that he said that the extend of his involvement in Max Payne was packing boxes so that the game would ship on time.

There's something funny there, but I'm not quite sure if it's the "packing boxes" or "on time".

37. Seedy Realms Jun 11, 2003, 20:33 CultureShock

Culture, its nothing personal and dont take this offensivly, but get over it man.

Nothing personal here either, I don't need people fretting themselves about the motives or level of energy put into my own posts.

Scott Miller and whoever is at take are sitting there smoking $20 cigars seeing nothing but dollar signs and pretty much stolen money. Personally, Id like to see the IRS get involved with this and investigate it because Im [sure] there are some very...deceptive...dealings going on here.

Yup. All the hot air being pushed around is all show, that's why they don't give a damn. Their iffy deals would make them the subject of investigation and penalty if they were ordinary people. Aaaah, the arrogance of wealth.

36. No subject Jun 11, 2003, 20:08 wasrad

Culture, its nothing personal and dont take this offensivly, but get over it man.

This whole thing is all a show and in the end a very well played out buisness transaction.

Scott Miller and whoever is at take are sitting there smoking $20 cigars seeing nothing but dollar signs and pretty much stolen money.

Personally, Id like to see the IRS get involved with this and investigate it because Im there are some very...deceptive...dealings going on here.

Im not going to explain it, you all are going to have to figure it out yourself.

I could be wrong though and DNF could also come out tommorow.

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng
This comment was edited on Jun 11, 20:11.

35. Re: Hmm Jun 11, 2003, 20:01 CultureShock

Um, well, if they sell the rights for Max2 to T2, and use the money from T2 to further fund DNF, isn't that using money from T2 to fund the game? Even if not given directly for the game's development?

Exactly. Don't forget the leverage they exert between deals and it looks like 3D Realms have benefited one way or the other. As I've argued previously, Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem Forever are brand names. For 3D Realms to say they've not received a single coin in connection with DNF isn't the whole truth. They are not completely and wholly self funded.

Where's my $100K George?

PS. XV, will you quit following me around.

34. Hmm Jun 11, 2003, 19:43 .Drifter

Well, 3DRealms said before that the game was totally self funded, challenged anyone to find any money form T2 that was used to fund the game.
Um, well, if they sell the rights for Max2 to T2, and use the money from T2 to further fund DNF, isn't that using money from T2 to fund the game? Even if not given directly for the game's development?

33. The Lie Of The Bland Jun 11, 2003, 18:54 CultureShock

Fat George has been yapping again.

Not at all. We helped a good bit on Max but it didn't delay anything.

Lie number two. That isn't what 3DR said a while back.

How deep do the lies go George?

32. No subject Jun 11, 2003, 18:11 Bunko

LOL. Even CNN is getting is starting to wonder about Duke Nukem Forever.  
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo