Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Take Two versus Duke

Developers of Duke Nukem take on Take Two on CNN Money is an article examining some of the behind-the-scenes intrigues between Take Two Interactive and 3D Realms surrounding Duke Nukem Forever, 3D Realms' 'when its done' shooter. The article discusses the recent shots fired in this conflict (story), and describes why, even as tensions may be surreptitiously rising, this situation is likely to remain a standoff:

Both companies are caught in a nasty Catch-22, though. 3D Realms says it is fully funding the game, which takes away any leverage Take Two might normally have. But 3D Realms can't shop the game to another publisher, no matter how frustrated it gets despite Broussard's claims that "we'd find a new publisher so easily it isn't even funny."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2003, 11:08  Blue 

Hmm, not sure exactly when it was announced, but seven years ago doesn't seem right.

Earlier in this very thread I already worked this out for the curious... here's what I posted:

I agree. We're at what? 5 years now? And it's looking like it'll be at least 6? I'd go crazy...

Nope, we're at six already, as Duke Nukem Forever was first announced in April 1997.

http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/april97-3.html

When the press release followed, the original described release date was "early 1998," and in light of what's happened, I am amused by my aside from the time amid (now justified) skepticism about Prey suggesting that this was realistic.

Here's what I wrote at the time:

http://www.bluesnews.com/archives/april97-4.html

Interesting matter of fact statement from the release: "...When Prey is released late in 1998..." Historically, in game development terms, late 1998 could well equate to a year 2000 release, though the Duke release date seems realistic (if not conservative) since it does not hinge on engine development.

"realistic (if not conservative)" -- If the game doesn't come out soon, I may just have to retract that.

There

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2003, 07:15 Cynic9

Hmm, not sure exactly when it was announced, but seven years ago doesn't seem right.

7 years ago would be June 1996.

Duke Nukem 3D released Sep 12, 1994
Quake released May 31, 1996.
Quake II released Nov 11, 1997.
Half-Life released Nov 19, 1998.
Unreal Tournament released May 22, 1998.

I don't recall hearing about Duke Nukem Forever back when I was playing Quake, I remember hearing about it when I was playing Half-Life.

69. No subject Jun 17, 2003, 22:46 wasrad

yes but not because Im one of just a fraction of the millions who play games that happen to read and post on internet forums.

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng

68. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2003, 19:14 Slashman

Duke Nukem Forever was NOT announced 5 years ago.

5 Years ago was when Half-Life was released an they started work on HL2.

DNF was announced at least 6 or 7 years ago. When Quake 3 was still in development. Hence the engine change when Unreal came out. I have no idea how many MORE engine changes were made...but the original Duke 3d came out in 96 and DNF was talked about a year later.

DNF is about 7 years old folks. NOT 5

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 19:15.

67. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2003, 18:44 Plissken

errm....feel important now wasrad?

66. No subject Jun 17, 2003, 16:46 wasrad

Its funny to me how the people who post on messege boards, forums, etc think they are the only people that buy games, as if they are the ones who the gaming industry depends on.

I guess unimportant people have to feel important somehow, even if it is imagined.

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng

65. Re: HERE HERE Jun 17, 2003, 14:59 Zar

I'll admit that if DOOM 3 isn't released this year, it will be a disappointment, and may even impact some people's impression of it. Not mine, but some people's.

But let's not get totally freaking ridiculous.

It is not DNF. There really isn't any comparison. If anything, its more like Unreal 2 in terms of its public relations trajectory. But even there, its not the same. In the time since Duke 3D, id Software has realeased THREE GAMES and is nearing the release of a FOURTH.

So I don't know what the heck you're talking about.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 15:16.

64. Re: HERE HERE Jun 17, 2003, 11:50 GTAZ

We did not hear anything about Halflife 2 til around 2 months ago.. lots of speculation, but nothing to build our anticipation up. Doom 3 has been announced for some time, and if it's not released this year, it could follow DNF.

Duke Nukem Forever was announced 5 years ago, and as much as I anticipated the game after watching the trailer, I have since long forgotten about it except when stupid news pops out of their mouths about it still being in development. Who cares.. release the damn thing or shut the hell up because we all heard it before and it's getting old. It's like the boy who cried wolf.. when the game comes out most people are going to say 'Really? I did not even know they were still making it."

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 11:51.

63. Re: HERE HERE Jun 17, 2003, 02:06 Virus

Yeah but HL2 wasn't supposed to be released 5 years ago...

If the situation wern't dire enough... imagine that 3DR was probably working on DNF for quite some time before they even announced it...

62. Re: HERE HERE Jun 17, 2003, 01:25 Xenos Overdrive

Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will rock and that's what we should all concentrate on and not some 5 year old game in the making that still doesn't exist.

From what I read in a very recent interview with Gabe Newell (apologies for the mispelling...) said that they had been working on Half Life 2 for five years now as well...

61. Re: 1001 Piss Takes Of The Trademark Jun 16, 2003, 19:32 CultureShock

Theseus? Nope. 'Tis the real McCoy.  
"Save the attitude for someone who cares." - Judge Dredd.

60. Re: 1001 Piss Takes Of The Trademark Jun 16, 2003, 17:21 nin

That should start you off...

You forgot "Who gives a F$&*?"

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

59. Re: 1001 Piss Takes Of The Trademark Jun 16, 2003, 17:15 Plissken

Cool top 10 there Theseus

58. 1001 Piss Takes Of The Trademark Jun 16, 2003, 08:57 CultureShock

3DR should have shut their mouths about the game and instead of their 'when it's done' motto should be more like 'not to be done in your lifespan.'

That's funny.

1. When it's done?
2. Whenever it's done.
3. When will it be done?
4. Why can't it be done?
5. It's done... whenever.
6. When it's dumped.
7. When it's delayed.
8. What's to be done?
9. OMFG we're undone!
10. Will it run?

That should start you off...

57. HERE HERE Jun 16, 2003, 06:04 GTAZ

Let's quit paying a whole lot of attention to a whole lot of nothing

You said it Apaullo, let's quit yapping about something that isn't going to happen anytime in the near future and get on with what is. Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will rock and that's what we should all concentrate on and not some 5 year old game in the making that still doesn't exist. 3DR should have shut their mouths about the game and instead of their 'when it's done' motto should be more like 'not to be done in your lifespan'. My kids kids will probably be playing DNF by the time it's released, while everyone else will be still talking about how great Half Life 5 and Doom VI.

56. One thing's for sure.... Jun 15, 2003, 23:07 Apaullo

This thread, since it began, has a substantially more amount of keystrokes in it than have come out of either 3DR's or Take2's entire corporation of PCs' keyboards, at least towards DNF.

Let's quit paying a whole lot of attention to a whole lot of nothing.

55. Re: nukem Jun 15, 2003, 06:08 CultureShock

I dont think following Daikatan's plan is a good idea, look were it got its development team... all fired.

3D Realms haven't been updating their employee listings page and took it down a few days ago. Sounds like they're just showing they're another anonymous corporation that wants your money, or they're trying to hide the staff churn.

54. Re: nukem Jun 14, 2003, 22:29 anon@24.76

I dont think following Daikatan's plan is a good idea, look were it got its development team... all fired.

53. George Broussard needs to go on a diet. Jun 14, 2003, 03:40 Smellfinger

He is one fat fuck.

52. Re: nukem Jun 14, 2003, 03:30 Xenos Overdrive

Yeah, I think down within their deepest sentiments everyone here is looking to the game in some forum. Despite the amount of complaints and opposing fanboi'isms the game and 3dRealms receives from the rather rediculous delays, you can't deny this won't ride the same initial wave of success that Daikatan rode when it was finally released: rediculously long development time in which the game sold very successfully for a short while whilst every checked it out for themselves to see if it was up to the hype.

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo