Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

268. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 10:29 Xombie

There's one thing with the physics that arent exactly right though. When the guy gets shot down from that...crane or something, and falls, he actually bounces up once when he hits the ground. Looks almost funny, but not realistic
I agree that the ragdoll physics don't seem to interact well with the environment. Also look at when Gordon blows up the soldiers when he's covering Barney, and one of them flies at the car.
But then again I think that all current "ragdoll" physics are dumb. Human bodies don't become silly putty the second they're dead. I've not yet seen ragdoll physics that really consider a realistic bone and muscle structure.

I mean "damage skins" have been with us for a long time now (Q2, Sin, Soldier of Fortune) And when those big aliens were hacking at the soldiers with big ass claws, they just fell down after a while, I don't even remember seeing any blood from the hits
I've seen screenshots of HL2 having damage skins (e.g.- the prison shot with the soldier fighting the ant lion), not sure why they don't seem as apparent in the demo.

This comment was edited on May 20, 10:32.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

267. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 10:24 Xombie

Watched the video out of curiosity and at the appointed moment well, er, Xombie... he's a becoming a zombie about then. His "snear" is quite normal until about then. His whole face tightens and "drys up". Yeah, at that point his snear is kind of unnatural, but so is he.
His sneer actually goes back down about half a second before he transforms into a zombie, so I very much doubt that it was an intentional thing to show his dry face. Especially when all that happens in his transformation is a texture change, not a model change.
Actually, I also noticed another thing: look at 1:23, at the zombie's lower lip. It's done in only six polygons, instead of a curved surface. His lip is just a 90 degree angle and a 45 degree angle.

The animations, outside of the zombies naturally (or should that be unatuarally?) looked quite fluid, certainly as good as the HL 2 animations.
The walking animations I'm not contesting.

266. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 10:08 Panick

Right Xombie you have mentioned the "plastic sheen" 3 times now. Let's move on. Just don't start repeating yourself so many times as in the D3 trailer thread.

There's one thing with the physics that arent exactly right though. When the guy gets shot down from that...crane or something, and falls, he actually bounces up once when he hits the ground. Looks almost funny, but not realistic. And where are the gibs? Earliere in that same scene the soldiers just fly away without a scratch and fall down dead. Doesn't really look like a grenade just exploded right at theire feet. I mean "damage skins" have been with us for a long time now (Q2, Sin, Soldier of Fortune) And when those big aliens were hacking at the soldiers with big ass claws, they just fell down after a while, I don't even remember seeing any blood from the hits. Now I don't mean that the enemies should be "destroyable" like in SoF2, but I want to get some more satifaction of emptying a mag at a soldier then just se him fall down.

But hey, those of you who think I'm wrong, don't fret. Xombie's on the case, and he will prove me wrong, like with all who says something bad about his HL2.

265. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 10:05 Chance

Xombie: "To be more concise on what I'm talking about with the animation: look at 1:19 into the raw footage of the D3 video on FilePlanet. It shows the flaw in the Doom3's animation (the marine's sneer coming to an unnatural-looking sharp angle)."

Watched the video out of curiosity and at the appointed moment well, er, Xombie... he's a becoming a zombie about then. His "snear" is quite normal until about then. His whole face tightens and "drys up". Yeah, at that point his snear is kind of unnatural, but so is he. That "plastic sheen" wasn't really noticeable to me, any more than the sheen skin oil often gives to, well, skin. The animations, outside of the zombies naturally (or should that be unatuarally?) looked quite fluid, certainly as good as the HL 2 animations. It's hard to say given the number of human characters shown in the HL 2 footage vs. the fewer seen in the D 3 footage, but they look comparable to me. Oh well. As for closeups of the G-Man, well he looked a little unhealthy, but I'd say that was just him. Alex certainly looked normal, especially the eyes, quite well done. Flaws in the animation system of either from what I've seen are more a matter of imagination than anything else. You see what you want and find flaw where you wish.

264. Examples May 20, 2003, 09:33 Xombie

To be more concise on what I'm talking about with the animation: look at 1:19 into the raw footage of the D3 video on FilePlanet. It shows the flaw in the Doom3's animation (the marine's sneer coming to an unnatural-looking sharp angle). You don't see this problem with G-man's facial expressions in the HL2 demo movie. Even minor details, like a slight sway when he's standing in place, have been included.
In addition, on the same marine scene in Doom 3, you can see the "plastic sheen" problem the lighting causes (the ridge above his upper lip). Compare this to the lighting in the pan around the G-man in the HL2 demo.

263. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 09:08 Xombie

[edit: hit wrong reply button]
This comment was edited on May 20, 09:34.

262. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 08:14 zamfear

Xombie, by your posts its easy to see that you just don't like id, which is fine. But, don't let your dislike of id get in the way of your judgment.

"Actually, the HL2 animation surpass them. And yes, I'm stating this as fact. Not only does valve use a muscle system, which provides more realistic detail in both movement and facial expression, but they have also detailed the animation and models right down to the eyeballs."

261. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 07:43 Xombie

The Animations: Any other game I've seen don't quite come close to the animations of doom3
Actually, the HL2 animation surpass them. And yes, I'm stating this as fact. Not only does valve use a muscle system, which provides more realistic detail in both movement and facial expression, but they have also detailed the animation and models right down to the eyeballs.

personally I think Carmacks goal with doom3 is to take gaming a step closer to CG Movies (a'la shrek, toy-story, final fantasy, etc)
They certainly got the unrealistic plastic "sheen" problem down pat.

As a matter of fact id stated themselves that they used motion capture for the 'human' actors ingame.
Motion capture is industry standard, and humans only account for about 5% of the NPC's in D3 in any case.

260. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 06:50 eXode

That actually put me a bit off with half-life 2,
the body animations looked quite cack compared to the facial ones, which is a bit odd if you think about it.

As for stiff and wooden d3 animations, im not sure as what you mean, (hope ur not speaking of the zombies ;))
but i find it very smooth, for instance that monster that crawls down a pillar and into a shadow behind doom-guy's back in the trailer looks very fluid to me compared to anything else i've seen.

Even tho its not even a FPS game im really looking forward to Max Payne 2. Its gonna be nice to see what those crazy finnish coders have up their sleeves.

Deus Ex was a brilliant game, personally i think it was way better than Half-Life but probably they shouldn't be compared as DE was more of a FPS RPG with the 'illusion' of somewhat non-linear play. Im really looking forward to Deus Ex 2.

259. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 05:43  Eye 

strange - from what ive seen of D3 the animation looked very stiff and wooden.

HL2 hasnt looked much better, while the facial animation is fantastic, the bodies seem to have recieved less attention.

258. Re: QUALITY OF THE LARGE TRAILERS??? May 20, 2003, 05:39  Eye 

The latest Fileplanet trailer is of sufficient quality to be eminently watchable in fullscreen. the specs are i believe 640x480 @ 30fps.

It is 'ShakyCam' footage, but without the shake ;-) this means that the only real downer is some washed out colours and a lack of clarity.

This comment was edited on May 20, 05:39.

257. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 04:36 eXode

As for modification possibilities, Carmack stated early on that doom3 would be _very_ mod friendly, why else do you think all the tools for it are to be included with the game? (even in a nameless leak you could find some of these tools if you knew where to look) Besides you're missing one big point with doom3.

Im judging this only from the various trailers I've seen and from id software themselves.
The Animations: Any other game I've seen don't quite come close to the animations of doom3, personally I think Carmacks goal with doom3 is to take gaming a step closer to CG Movies (a'la shrek, toy-story, final fantasy, etc) when I watched the doom3 trailer I was really amazed by the cinematic quality of the game. As a matter of fact id stated themselves that they used motion capture for the 'human' actors ingame.

In the end its all about what tickles your fancy, do you prefer baseball or soccer? I know im gonna buy both games and play both games and I'd love to see Counter-Strike 2 on the source engine

256. Re: QUALITY OF THE LARGE TRAILERS??? May 20, 2003, 04:09 vajbern

Can anybody tell me how good the quality of the large trailers is??

ARE THE LARGE TRAILERS SHAKY-CAM or are they high quality movie files made from computer demos??

255. Re: Worked for me May 20, 2003, 02:34 Faris

"anyone got a torrent to the 600meg version? Is it the same as the 530meg one?" (DrEvil)
-- same link as below (the old 500meg is out already). The new one, according to FilePlanet, only saw an increase in quality - they don't say anything about it's actual content (and I didn't get to watch any of them yet )

"September build or not, I don't want to ruin the game for myself" (The Sentinel)
-- feeling-schmieling, did you see those goddamn Striders!!!!?

p.s. does the large version have any kind of logos on it?

This comment was edited on May 20, 02:42.

254. Is it worth it... May 19, 2003, 22:48 The Sentinel

I just downloaded and started watching the 600mb movie. The first five and a half minutes was just a tech demo and it was well worth it. I watched several minutes of the gameplay portion and stopped it. September build or not, I don't want to ruin the game for myself. I'm sure they have plenty of tricks left that they're not showing, but I think I only saw a few screen shots for the original HL before it came out. I'd like to keep the same new feeling for the sequel as well.

D3 is a different story, I just want to see more and more because it's just so damn pretty. Like the summer blockbuster, stay for the effects and action, forego the story.

253. Re: No subject May 19, 2003, 22:34 Undead Scottsman

I think the 600mb version includes a scene they forgot to include in the 530 version (The one where the guy gets impaled by the blue tentacle)

But don't hold me to that

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

252. No subject May 19, 2003, 21:23 Bunko

Is the new 600MB version being offered on Fileplanet much better than the ~530MB version offered earlier?  
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

251. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 21:22 Midnight

GAMEPLAY

As with all engines the main concern is how creative the designers are in really squeezing every last drop of gameplay out of an engine. I've seen games based on antiquated engines which were infinitely more fun than, say, Unreal 2.

However the Source engine seems to have a more powerful and dynamic infrastructure which I think will give designers greater scope for creating the game they've always wanted to make. I've seen nothing in D3 that has quite the same impact as the gravity gun or the striders.

MODIFICATION POSSIBILITIES

HL2 wins here without a shadow of a doubt. Perhaps this is because we haen't really heard anything from id regarding D3's modding options (or am I just out of the loop?). But it seems to me that HL2 is being designed with modders in mind - especially with the way it handles materials etc. Power to the artists, woohoo!

SP vs MP

Hmm, I have to say that HL2 looks to have a much more immersive and involving environment for SP. In D3 it's just you against hordes of mindless badguys with superb lighting, in HL2 you are working with and against intelligent, unpredictable opponents. Having a guy mehtodically hunt me down is more frightening than having an imp jump at me. Sure, the imp gives that momentary adrenalin rush, but the hunter builds tension and makes me try to second-guess him.

For MP I think HL2 has to win again. Although we have heard little about the multiplayer capabilities of either engine, the modability of Source (as discused earlier) must make it the winner here. Even if we don't like the MP experience of HL2 (which would surprise me immensely) then we can still look forward to seeing an almost infinite number of mods tailored to our particular MP tastes.

And think on this. Source has the cool dynamic lip-synching feature which examines the waveform of the speech and moves the muscles of the mouth appropriately. HL already supports voice chat via microphones. Think about walking around a gaming world, chatting to people with a microphone and seeing their lips move as they answer! Not to mention facial expressions etc.

Source is going to give us some damn good shooters, but I'm also looking forward to the RPGs it will produce =)

http://www.crimsondark.com

250. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 19, 2003, 20:55 DrEvil

hopefully todays really high end video cards are priced reasonably by the time hl2 ships. just looking at the prices makes my ass hurt.

249. Re: OH MAH GAWD!! May 19, 2003, 20:07 Hellbinder

Anybody know how much computer you'll need to make the game look and run like that?

Well my friend. That E3 demo (the big one 500mb) etc were all played using a Radeon 9800pro and 3Gp4. The game played with MAX detail and high res. Thus Its pretty obvious that the hardware to play it is already here. The 9800pro's DX9 capabilities (power wise) are unmatched.

When HL2 ships ATi will have out its comming 9800pro XT which ships in July. Clocked at 450 core and 460mhz DDR-II ram.

Pentium 4 2.4B 533 FSB
I850EMD2
512mb 40ns Rdram
Radeon 9700pro 330/330
Win Xp

The Whales name is Bob.

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo