Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

288. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 21:08 Undead Scottsman

A person doesn't jutter like that. It's over-exxaggerated, much more so than an actor should be (Unless your in a play)

It just doesn't look natural, which is what I thought HL2 was going for. However, that's the only quibble I have with teh game so far, and it appears to only effect Alyx in that scene.. Barney and the soldiers, Dr. Kliener and the Geman don't seem to have the problem.

However, since you'll be with Alyx the most, I think it's something they need to work on.. If she would just fold her arms or leave them her hips or something it would look a world better..

Of course, it's kinda hard to tell when her face is so wonderfully animated

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

287. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 20:25 Xombie

The rest of us edit to add points or to correct a significant grammatical error, but Xombie has a habit of shooting his mouth
I've never edited out an insult. The only time I've deleted a post was because I realized it would only result in more personal attacks against people who don't like me disagreeing with them.

Obviously that's not going to prevent your unwarranted flames, nor the rest of the Doom 3 community's..

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

286. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 20:22 Xombie

Look how her body moves while she's talking.. Her arms are jutted out a funny angles instead of being relaxed,
Good point.

and her body doesn't move like a normal person should.
How so?

285. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 20:20 Xombie

Xombie? You like to complain about DOOM3 and it's shortcomings.
I'm not the only one, obviously. I don't see why you only reply to me.

Check out the shitty Alyx animation in the movie where Gordon knocks the monitor over. Alyx's movements are artificial and exaggerated.
-Artificial as opposed to what? (I'm asking)
-They're exaggerated just like an actor exaggerates, or how a public speaker waves his hands when he's speaking.

she spins around to see what is making the noise behind her she has the worst case of the "1-2-3"s.
I have no clue what that means. (note: That seriously makes no sense to me. what are you talking about?)

And so what if the NPC's eyes look so realistic?? I don't plan to be close enough to them long enough for it to be a big selling-point of the game.
It's the details that count. When the details are right, the whole thing looks better, especially with something like eyes. When the eyes look better, the entire character looks more realistic (this is a psychology thing).

It is probably easier to code for better eyes than to code for better models/animation
In HL2, the pupils of the eyes dilate depending on the distance of the object that the character is looking at.

personally think you still suffer with "Lara Croft-itis".
And I personally have never heard that term used anywhere, nor do I have any idea what you're referring to.

You are being pedantic in complaining about the "plastic sheen" of the D3 player model
No, I'm not. The "sheen" is apparent on more than just the characters, it's noticable in almost every model the lighting seems to hit. I don't know if it's just because Fred isn't used to doing non-cartoon models or what, but the textures are reflecting the light far too much throughout the entire D3 video and even in screenshots. (note: this is not opinion, this is fact, unless my eyes and the eyes of several people on this board are tricking us)

No game is even close to that level of realism.
I haven't noticed the same "plastic" effect anywhere in any of the Half Life 2 media. If you have, please point it out.

As far as we know DOOM3 could finish up with better gameplay and storyline, and HalfLife2 might have revealed the best of it's final content, the same way movies disappoint because they reveal themselves too extensively in their trailers.
Yes. They could. But based on the records of both companies and even what we've seen and heard so far, it doesn't seem very likely.

I will buy and play both games.
Then more power to you. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize these games based on what the developers themselves have so far said and released.

Get over yourself, Xombie!! We have!!
And yet you replied to me, and then replied to me when I deleted my post in hopes to prevent a continued flame war. Apparently that's impossible anyway. It seems that everything I say you'll take personally and in a context of hostility.

284. G-man owns! May 20, 2003, 20:10 AgentZero

I just watched that 500mb movie and how cool is the G-mans animations! everything else was so awesome as well and full of little details. If only you could use that grav gun to pound the grunts against walls and in water and stuff. The only thing not so great about it was the marine AI. it seemed okay but not as good as I was hoping.

283. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 20:00 Tony!!!

So I wasn't the only one to notice this? hehe.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

282. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 19:50 vajbern

See Xombie's itchy, edit finger is at work again. He can't just post and leave it. The rest of us edit to add points or to correct a significant grammatical error, but Xombie has a habit of shooting his mouth and then removing his post (the only way he can) before too many people read his inaccuracies. Get some balls, Xombie!!

281. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 19:03 Undead Scottsman

Xombie, you entirly skipped over his scrutiny of Alyx's physical animation. Look how her body moves while she's talking.. Her arms are jutted out a funny angles instead of being relaxed, and her body doesn't move like a normal person should.

And that's a fact.

Half-Life 2 still looks like a better game than D3 though

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

This comment was edited on May 20, 19:57.

280. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 18:52 Xombie

-
This comment was edited on May 20, 18:56.

279. Re: texture change.. May 20, 2003, 18:38 Xombie

By the way, if you don't have 5.1 system and a top of the line gaming rig, don't nit pick,
I already have 5.1, but I'm buying a new system this fall, and new monitor. I made this computer back when Tribes 2 came out.

278. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 18:36 Rat-Az

Some of these posts are so comical, lol. I'll buy and play both assuming each will provide it's own unique experience. The glaring differences between these titles are blatantly clear. Doom3 will suffer greatly from lack of multiplayer. A simple DM mode would prevent a quicker than necessary death. The modding capabilities of HL2 will bring forth new modders that will extend the life of the game until HL3 is released, maybe another 5 years. Once again, online play will be huge with DOD2, TF2 (stock, you read it here 1st) and perhaps CS redeeming itself with a fresh look along with a slew of new mod titles which are certain to arrive. Lastly, gameplay period. Half Life has proven itself to have the best gameplay even now which is why HL dominates online. Titles such as BF42 and any POS Q3 engine based title like MOHAA can't compare playability wise but oh yeah, they look pretty, screw that. I sure hope Doom 3 scares the crap out of me but after the first play through the only thing to go back to will be custom missions which will also be a one time experience. Carmack blew it this time BIG!! Leaving out MP will prove to be a fatal mistake, especially with the diehard doomers like myself who lived the Doom DM's every night I could. What a shame.

Rat

277. RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 17:10 vajbern

Xombie? You like to complain about DOOM3 and it's shortcomings. It is a shame you are so biased you can not hold HalfLife2 up to the same scrutiny.

Check out the shitty Alyx animation in the movie where Gordon knocks the monitor over. Alyx's movements are artificial and exaggerated and when she spins around to see what is making the noise behind her she has the worst case of the "1-2-3"s. You can almost imagine the accordian playing in the background.

And so what if the NPC's eyes look so realistic?? I don't plan to be close enough to them long enough for it to be a big selling-point of the game. It is probably easier to code for better eyes than to code for better models/animation. I personally think you still suffer with "Lara Croft-itis".

You are being pedantic in complaining about the "plastic sheen" of the D3 player model, especially because it still looks and is animated multiple times better than any of the HL2 models. In regards to this sheen your expectations are so high that maybe it is time you switched off your computer, walked outside and viewed reality. No game is even close to that level of realism. So why scrutinse DOOM3 to that level??

When can all nit-pick any game. My nit-pick of DOOM3 is that it is going to have a pretty shitty storyline. However, I have to admit that I can't "state that as fact" (like I have the gall to believe my point of view will be treated as somewhat definitive. Get over yourself, Xombie!! We have!!)

As far as we know DOOM3 could finish up with better gameplay and storyline, and HalfLife2 might have revealed the best of it's final content, the same way movies disappoint because they reveal themselves too extensively in their trailers. I don't believe this for a second but I can't know for sure till I finish the game.

I will buy and play both games. I expect to get a different experience from each. I expect HL2 to have far more replay-value, but who nows what tricks id might employ to lengthen the game (beyond removing the ability to run and the ability to save anywhere)?? Maybe id WILL implement an effective random map generator. We'll see.

I freaked when I first watched the DOOM3 trailer. It set the bar so high that HalfLife2 had to be really good to garner my interest. It was and it has. The HL2 trailer is shit, but the in-game movies have, overall, completely nullified this shittiness.

Xombie, get a life and don't take yourself so seriously... and don't believe we do either. BOTH of these games will look like SHIT in 5 years anyway, so for now let people enjoy DOOM3, or enjoy HalfLife2, or, like most of us: BOTH.

vajbern

276. No subject May 20, 2003, 16:52 Bunko

Keep your cool guys. We don't want another "HL2 versus D3" brawl.  
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

275. Re: texture change.. May 20, 2003, 16:48 Panick

well depends from the hight of course, those who jumped from the twin towers didn't really bounce.

From the hight that the soldier in the movie fell from there would have been a bounce yes, but not that high.

but these are petty details, I won't exactly stop and inspect every alien and man i kill to see if they fell right and if they have nice bulletholes etc.

Edit: damnit, Tony got ahead of me....bastard
This comment was edited on May 20, 16:51.

274. Re: texture change.. May 20, 2003, 16:35 Tony!!!

Very silly to break the trailers frame by frame to make a point. I mean, heck. Look at that lame looking green splotch that appears when the crab zombies are getting beat down by the crowbar! What an eyesore! The animation on the breaking wood just doesn't look real at all. In fact, the animation on the crowbar swing looks like it came strait from the original Half Life. Who here is going play the games when they comes out, and who will just pause it every second looking to critique its discrepancies from real life? How about this, for the overzealous...Half Life 2 could could very well be a more memorable gaming experience than Doom 3. We don't know yet really. We've seen the tech. And on all fronts they both improve the gaming experience.
By the way, if you don't have 5.1 system and a top of the line gaming rig, don't nit pick, because you wont be getting what you saw on the video anyways. LOL, some of you probably are still playing on 15 inched curved monitors! Once you have that 21 inches of natural flat, you never go back!

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

273. Re: texture change.. May 20, 2003, 16:13 Tony!!!

FYI, bodies do bounce when they fall from a good hight. Just watch some Faces of Death footage. Sick stuff.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

272. texture change.. May 20, 2003, 13:58 -=gs=-

His sneer actually goes back down about half a second before he transforms into a zombie, so I very much doubt that it was an intentional thing to show his dry face. Especially when all that happens in his transformation is a texture change, not a model change.

i wish this was implented on characters sleeves, for example the scientist in the HL2 demo when he bends his arms they don't wrinkle like normal drapery but look more like a scuba suit and not like a lab coat... when the arm bends a bump mapped texture of wrinkles appears ala shaders would be sweet...

271. I agree... May 20, 2003, 13:15 The Half Elf

The Half Life Live Feed thingie I saw from Gamespot was incredible. The Closed Circuit TV system was pretty amazing as was the entire demo and the parts they showed through the game. Like after he was done driving the buggy up on the hill road, and the flying beastie was shooting the wrecked cars and you could see quite a bit of the car shaking and moving when being hit. But really surprised me is in the first opening shot of the Tech Demo, where they swing the body around by the leg, then move it over to the table and push everything into the water.

But I do agree with Xombie, Doom3 has that plastic gi-joe look to the skins. I'm not sure if it's designed to be this way or not, but all of the models so far from all of the vids i've seen on Doom 3 have this affect. And the models i've seen from HL2 vids don't seem to have this at all.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

270. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 11:54 Gandhi

Just got in from a business trip (on E3 coverage weekend too dammit!), and I am stokec about all the upcoming games (Deus Ex 2, Thief 3, Vampire, Doom3, Half Life 2, Star Wars KOTOR, Cthulu).

But the one game I am MOST excited about and will buy a whole new gaming rig for is Half Life 2! I downloaded and saw the GameSpot vids, and was amazed with the tech demo in particular. Did you see the one where the video security camera is on the GMan, and the headcrab comes by? The camera is knocked off its stand, Gordon picks it up, and the CCTV now shows whatever Gordon points the camera to. Now THAT amazed me. Don't know whether it has been done before in another game or not, but it was the implementation in Half Life 2 that really impressed me. I am stoked.

This is going to be an amazing year for PC gaming (assuming no delays for any of these games - yeah, I know Thief 3 and Vampire are for next year - don't ruin my excitement

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

269. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 10:51 Chance

Off to work (it's 7:40 out here), but one thing -- human bodies do bounce upwards when they fall from a distance. They just don't go "splat" flat into the ground when they hit. They also "pinwheel" in rather odd fashions as they catch on things when falling. The going limp when they are hit / dead bit is pretty normal too. It's the total loss of muscular control when the brain suddenly ceases to function. The only "control" is from the impact of the rounds hitting them. If the person is dying (not yet dead) or wounded then the body falls under partial control, giving a "normal" going down look to it.

This comment was edited on May 20, 10:52.

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo