Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

View
348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

48. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:56 Xombie

Also the grav gun looks cool... but I'd have been happier seing Gordon grab and toss stuff by hand. THAT would have been really cool.
It would be pretty silly to see Gordy just picking up chests and radiators and tossing them 50ft, though.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:53 Chance

Thanks again Tony!!! I seem to be following you around using your links today. I like both the hires D3 and HL2 vids. Couple of really minor quibles about the HL2 footage. I hope they spend some time on weapon changes / animation. I always wanted the hero to have to put one weapon away and pull the other out -- maybe tied to an inventory system. The "blink / switch" thing takes away from the realism of the scene in front of you, not to speak of giving you the gun drawing speed of a Wyatt Earp. Also the grav gun looks cool... but I'd have been happier seing Gordon grab and toss stuff by hand. THAT would have been really cool. The grav gun, while it looks cool seems a bit too much like a gimmick to avoid that. That and give a him a hand to shut the door, not the power of Gordon's mind or whatever (yes, that's a joke). Minor stuff, but it's the details that give you that immersive feel. Love the soda cans rolling out, the way the sound matched the visuals, how you could use the environment against the enemy etc. Minor gripes aside -- it looks great. They keep this up and I'll be looking forward to the end of summer, not the beginning...

This comment was edited on May 14, 22:55.

46. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:50 Creston

on another note, check this article out if you want to read the opinions of the HL2 engine from a true dipshit

Why exactly is this guy a dipshit? Because he makes a statement and actually PROVES his point by pointing at recently released screenshots to back him up?

None of the "problems" he mentioned bother me a whole lot (although I am getting very annoyed that models still stick through walls and each other in today's gaming, when that selfsame behavior has been evident since the very first days of polygon driven FPS games), but I don't exactly see why you would label the author / article as such. Is it because he dares to actually *gasp*, criticize Half Life 2?

Creston

45. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:39 Ray Marden

Well, the other thing with the crowbar is that Stephen Gordon no longer has the love fest 'o whacking with things now. Each item took only one hit to explode and did so at the first second of contact.

I have no delusions - I will purchase something like 97.425494% of all the games shown at E3, but Half-Life 2 puts everything else to shame, in my opinion. I think that Halo 2 looks really good, it has a bit more energy and I cannot wait to play with my friends, but Half-Life 2 still pwns!

Valve did its homework and created a fun world with rules (and story) rather than a bunch of scripted sequences strung together. This calls for the w00t express:

Chugga, chugga, w00t, w00t!1111

Knowing a game is great when the biggest complaint is the crowbar whacking :o,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2000: The day I learned that Looking Glass was to be no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Currently playing: Enclave, Half-Life (still the best), Rygar, and Raven Shield.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

44. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:22 Bronco

Ok guys. heres another link.

Awesome Tony!!!.

You are linkmeister general tonight.

I can't go hunting for these things right now as I'm painting. I come in and check this thread between coats.

I fully expect to see more links in 45 minutes!

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I woke up today and wished for tomorrow
I don't want to be like anyone else
I woke up today and wished for tomorrow
I don't want even be myself

-TPFKAS2S

43. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:20 DrEvil

u guys gotta check these pics out. sorry if its been posted already but here http://users.pandora.be/vanhoef/HL2/

probably gonna take time to load.

on another note, check this article out if you want to read the opinions of the HL2 engine from a true dipshit http://city17.halflife.org/art_sourceengine.htm

This comment was edited on May 14, 22:34.

42. Yup, sweet May 14, 2003, 22:19 Creston

That facial animation system is very sweet, and very well thought out. I didn't actually think we could MAKE a system like that yet, but I'm glad Valve proved me wrong on that. In my opinion that is the most awesome thing about the whole Source engine.

The other thing about it that has me excited is the seemingly "easier" way of creating levels / mods with it. I've been looking for an engine to get into for level designing, and hopefully this one is it.
I have this nasty feeling that in order to be able to design levels for the Doom3 engine, you'd need a MS in Theoretical Calculus or something

Now all we REALLY need, is a Deus Ex : IW movie. Come on Warren, get taping already!

Creston

Edit : Damn, Tony, you're turning out to be one huge link wh0re... Thanks!!

This comment was edited on May 14, 22:23.

41. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:18 Tony!!!

Ok guys. heres another link. I had to let the video play through to the end then watch it again. It was real choppy.
This is diffent than the first one I saw.
http://www.t-bag.dsl.pipex.com/halflife2.mpg

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

40. No subject May 14, 2003, 22:15 Xombie

Ok, wait, I was wrong. The combine soldier demo is part of the E3 demos.
I was thinking it was odd since the crowbar looked like it was acting weird. I just watched it again and realized that gordon just swings the crowbar weird, I wasn't seeing the tip of it hitting the wood. It does indeed splinter exactly where he hits it.

39. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:13 TysonM

Those facial animations are based upon real research into human expressions (from the 1970's). Valve did their homework on this one!

What excites me so much about Half Life 2 are two other games that can come from it: CounterStrike and Team Fortress 2. Last anyone had heard about TF2, they stopped their progress because they wanted to work on an engine that would allow them to do what they wanted to put in the game. From what we can see of this Half Life 2 engine, WOW, pretty awesome features! Cant wait to see the implementation!

38. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:05 Xombie

Yeah. The demo feeds seem to be Gamespot exclusives. I gave in and signed up for Complete earlier today. It was worth every penny.
Look on Shacknews forums, someone will probably upload them somewhere.

The details are just amazing. I think the coolest part was in one of the last feeds, where the strider skewers the scientist... then shakes him off.

This comment was edited on May 14, 22:07.

37. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:04 Lactose The Intolerant

I posted a link on reply #30

http://www.worldoverclockers.com/HL2/Halflife2_2003_GS_1.mov

36. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:04 Joey

Feed 1 was just simply breath-taking... Now... all we need are the other 8 videos from gamespot.com.... lol!

35. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:01 Tony!!!

Well, the trailer I saw look pretty incredible. Love the facial expresions on the characters. Incredible. What was the demo feed #1? Is there a link? Have people not seen it because it's not available?

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

34. No subject May 14, 2003, 21:57 Xombie

I feel sorry for the people that haven't been able to see the Half Life demo feed #1. The trailer really doesn't do the game or engine justice.
It seems like the trailer is for the build that they showed the press before all those previews were released in the past month, while the newest footage gives a swift kick to the ass of all other physics engines ever seen.

This comment was edited on May 14, 22:02.

33. thx... May 14, 2003, 21:53 Shataan

for the fast link to the vid file below. Visually, I have to say this is what I have been expecting games to look like very soon. So yes, the visuals are impressive. But what hit me the most, was the chicks facial expressions. I am stunned by how lifelike her facial expressions are.
Now its not only eyeblinking and lip syncing, but the A.I. has humanlike expression? That is too cool.

32. Im With You Guys May 14, 2003, 21:50 MajorGeeks

Ill buy both, they both look awesome, hoping for lots of single and multi player mods to make them both playable for a loooong time.  
http://www.majorgeeks.com

31. Re: Nice May 14, 2003, 21:43 Tony!!!

Ohhhh YEaaaaaa! MAN! That was so sweet! I can't wait for this new generation of games!!! Gimme Gimme Gimme! Doom, Dues Ex, Half Life 2, THief 3! Tee heeee! Im bouncing on my toes, dancing with glee! I sure as heck need to upgrade my machine! More trailers please. Man, My brother get to go to E3 on Friday.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

30. Re: Why would I pick only one? May 14, 2003, 21:37 Lactose The Intolerant

Here is another video of Gordon battling some combine soldiers, the physics will wow you.

http://www.worldoverclockers.com/HL2/Halflife2_2003_GS_1.mov

29. YOU'RE GOING TO UPGRADE, May 14, 2003, 21:37 ^mortis^

...but your going to love yourself for doing it.

end of story.

^m^

This comment was edited on May 14, 21:38.

348 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo